Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I found a really fun MMORPG today.

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Hey guys, I'm sick so sorry if I mess up some spelling or w/e, but I found a new MMORPG today when I was looking through Youtube videos. It's kind of like UO, you use WASD to move, left click/right mouse to attack, the combat is similar to Realm of the Mad God. It's pretty grindy though, I mean you'll be in Noob Island for a good few hours at least.

Check it out if you're bored. It's F2P, there's a premium (subscription) option but it doesn't really do much.

If you need some help let me know, my name is OhhPaigey. :_)

You level your skills kind of like UOs, they go up while you attack, each level you get a skill point to spend on a passive (not sure if there's different attack skills or whatever yet). Make sure after you kill stuff to press Q, it loots everything in your area. And to start, destroy a tree and pick up a branch, use it as your starting weapon.

Gearing at the start at least, is about killing monsters that drop blueprints for a certain weapon or armor piece, and then collecting the right materials for that item and crafting it. The items have durability, some you can repair, some you can't. But it takes quite a bit to lose the item.

Another pretty big part of the game is to do with player housing/building, though I haven't done much research on it. You can place buildings around the world or something.

http://gardensofgonzo.com/

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Keep in mind this game is in Pre-Alpha and theres barely anything to do past noob island.

Worth keeping an eye on though, whats there seems nice.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Actually this mmo has potential, BUT as with all mmos of the past few years it depends on how greedy developers become. I don't like cashshops at all.

Not many Youtubes on the game yet. I'll have to wait for some interacting with other players ones.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Yeah, there's still some bugs, don't know exactly how much content there is past noob island, cuz I'm still there. XD
  • SkyesSkyes Member CommonPosts: 14
    Sounds fun, and its probably made on RPG Maker. I used to mess with that program years ago. Its awesome.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    The game is built on other engine(s) but some of the graphics are from RPG Maker. ;_)
  • Gonzo_RammyGonzo_Rammy Member Posts: 2

Hello and thanks for posting a link to the game here!

Gardens of Gonzo is an indie game and with the help of the community and especially premium subscriptions, it can grow a lot faster. And I beg to differ: premium already has some very neat effects - but the game already goes a lot deeper than one can see in the first ten minutes. The whole building aspect will become more and more important with upcoming features.

To clarify some things: there won't be micropayments, extra content or something similar to pay for (I hate stuff like that, so why would I implement it in my own game ;) ). But a man needs to eat, pay his rent and server.

The game wasn't made with the RPG Maker. I've never worked with it before, but I also have never seen an online RPG Maker game; so I'm not sure if this would be possible at all. Server and client were purely and originally written in C++.

There is also a great misconception about the graphics. The game uses, among others, many REFMAP (FirstSeedMaterial) graphics as a foundation. Those are FREE to use by anyone. So the RPG Maker just uses those free graphics - like Gardens of Gonzo does; although the REFMAP crew originally made them with the intention to use them with the RPG Maker. There may be graphics in the RPG Maker that ASCII/Enterbrain has the copyrights to and that look similar to REFMAP graphics. But that's probably, because those ARE in fact modified REFMAP graphics; and those, of course, weren't used in Gonzo.

Those graphics, by the way, are only the foundation players can build with. Players will be able to upload their very own graphics (and sounds) into the live game, so they can bring in their art, their own style and leave other players stunned.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. I'll check back here regularly.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Any chance for this to go on Steam?
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    First a 'random' user posts about a game. Then suddenly a '1 post' user/developer comes in. All too convienient.
  • nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

As starting areas are far and beyond the most highly trafficked part of any MMO, they rarely don't get the most attention and polish from game makers.

Let us know what you think about the game in 3 months, and in 6 months.

That's when you know how fun an MMORPG really is.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• Gonzo_RammyGonzo_Rammy Member Posts: 2

"Any chance for this to go on Steam?"

Sure, at some point when it's more polished and complete.

"First a 'random' user posts about a game. Then suddenly a '1 post' user/developer comes in. All too convienient."

It was over a month later. And yes, she (OhhPagey) played the game and told me she opened this thread. So I created an account here to give some information. Nothing too mysterious. I looked for ways to present the game through this forum, but there are rules against it and I respect that.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Looks good for a pre alpha. Killed an hour.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• husscoolhusscool Member UncommonPosts: 74
    You guys are insane.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Gonzo_Rammy

"Any chance for this to go on Steam?"

Sure, at some point when it's more polished and complete.

"First a 'random' user posts about a game. Then suddenly a '1 post' user/developer comes in. All too convienient."

It was over a month later. And yes, she (OhhPagey) played the game and told me she opened this thread. So I created an account here to give some information. Nothing too mysterious. I looked for ways to present the game through this forum, but there are rules against it and I respect that.

Thanks for the info. I'll def play it when it goes on Steam.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I thought MMOs would be the last kind of game which do NOT need steamworks.

(I hate SteamWorks with a passion)

• soikidoiisoikidoii Member CommonPosts: 4
    This game looks like.... ummmm. Ok nevermind. I mean these types of mmos were really good 15+ years ago. When players didnt pay so much attention on graphics.. but please.  Isnt good to have real good lore ingame, lot of content, good community and GREAT GRAPHIC? Yeah it is.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by soikidoii
    This game looks like.... ummmm. Ok nevermind. I mean these types of mmos were really good 15+ years ago. When players didnt pay so much attention on graphics.. but please.  Isnt good to have real good lore ingame, lot of content, good community and GREAT GRAPHIC? Yeah it is.

The program used to make the game is on Steam, called RPGMaker, tons of games already made using it, if you like that kind of thing,  the whole retro gaming thing is kind of nostalgic maybe? although i don't think anyone would consider playing this game based on the graphics which are 'dated' to say the least, i would not consider either the XB1, PS4 or the PC as a good platform for this kind of game in all honesty, i can sort of see it appearing on itunes or google play for various android devices for $3, that could work maybeimage

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by soikidoii

The program used to make the game is on Steam, called RPGMaker, tons of games already made using it, if you like that kind of thing,  the whole retro gaming thing is kind of nostalgic maybe? although i don't think anyone would consider playing this game based on the graphics which are 'dated' to say the least, i would not consider either the XB1, PS4 or the PC as a good platform for this kind of game in all honesty, i can sort of see it appearing on itunes or google play for various android devices for $3, that could work maybeimage

Negative. At last check, RPGMaker didn't support iOS or Android. I know! Boo, right? Although if it does now, then I'll have to update my copy :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by yaminsux
    First a 'random' user posts about a game. Then suddenly a '1 post' user/developer comes in. All too convienient.

not sure if she is really that random as she has asked questions and participated in the community.

And by "suddenly" you mean the dev popped in over a month later then yeah, that's pretty sudden. image

In any case, I'll check the game out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Sovrath

not sure if she is really that random as she has asked questions and participated in the community.

And by "suddenly" you mean the dev popped in over a month later then yeah, that's pretty sudden. image

In any case, I'll check the game out.

Lol, yeah. Paranoia abounds!!!! 

It couldn't simply be a developer.... Googling link: http://gardensofgonzo.com/ to see how many links there are to his/her game. That would be waaaaaaay too crazy. I mean which developer has time to tear themselves away from their mill...errr..thous...err hundreds of users to answer forum questions? j/k Gonzo!!!! ;) <-- That's a wink!! Means you can't get mad! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I love how often these "coincidences" happen.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Just sayin, I am retired now, but when I was either a game developer or heading up the Tor Project (an open source project some of y'all may even have heard of) I had Google Alerts for various that I poured through over my morning coffee. And yes, I would drop in somewhere like here or j-random blog or whatever and follow up.

Word of mouth is the most powerful reputation tool. These days, this is what you got.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Very cool! Downloading it and will check it out this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre