Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Top 5 Free-to-Play WoW Clones

1235»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I played ROM 1-60 i think was the cap back then and not one dime spent.However i enjoyed it so went back and did spend on a second account and yes it can be very costly to do ALL the content.However if you just want to run the questing course,it can be done totally free.They also held events that gave away some nice gear sets[free] that could be used for several levels.

The guild wars would of course favor those with money spent on gear,but at least unlike GW2 it does offer guild wars and in some decent looking guilds as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    This list is incredible in both its ability to display the disconnect of this crowd and its ability to generate nerd rage over apparently heretical use of a term.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

I played Rift from launch through Vanilla. From day one, there was ZERO learning curve. Everything about it was 2nd nature, becasue it was done exactly like WoW.

Yeah, it's a WoW clone.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

I played Rift from launch through Vanilla. From day one, there was ZERO learning curve. Everything about it was 2nd nature, becasue it was done exactly like WoW.

Yeah, it's a WoW clone.

But once again, WoW was even more similar to EverQuest than Rift was to WoW.

WoW basically just changed the graphics, made it easier, it didn't really add much to the equation so much as it made part of it(EQ had more) more accessible.

The big difference from Rift to WoW are, the graphics, the class system, the world events and rift systems.  If you include stuff added to Rift later, you have things like Chronicles(which WoW copied and called scenarios), and Instant Adventures(nothing like it in WoW).  Rift's world from day 1 encourages exploration and discovery, some of this stuff was copied into WoW, but Rift still does it better.  Rift's wardrobe was before WoW's transmog and it is 100x better.  Rift has dyes.  And there also probably a ton I'm leaving out.

In short Rift added far more to their game vs. WoW than WoW added to their game vs. EverQuest.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by jbombard

Yeah, it's a WoW clone.

WoW basically just changed the graphics, made it easier, it didn't really add much to the equation so much as it made part of it(EQ had more) more accessible.

The big difference from Rift to WoW are, the graphics, the class system, the world events and rift systems.  If you include stuff added to Rift later, you have things like Chronicles(which WoW copied and called scenarios), and Instant Adventures(nothing like it in WoW).  Rift's world from day 1 encourages exploration and discovery, some of this stuff was copied into WoW, but Rift still does it better.  Rift's wardrobe was before WoW's transmog and it is 100x better.  Rift has dyes.  And there also probably a ton I'm leaving out.

In short Rift added far more to their game vs. WoW than WoW added to their game vs. EverQuest.

I won't argue about the definition of a WoW clone. But the game was released with the intention to "out WoW" WoW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXoNaiPfT8

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by jbombard

Yeah, it's a WoW clone.

I won't argue about the definition of a WoW clone. But the game was released with the intention to "out WoW" WoW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXoNaiPfT8

And shockingly, this little back and forth will not conclude right here as it should. 

Good job nonetheless, Geezer.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Because Rift is not even close to a WoW clone.  The only thing they really have in common is MMO, that is it.  I have played both, extensively it appears that people that have not played it 'assume' it is a wow clone.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Have to agree with a number of posters - RIFT should be on the list (at the top in my opinion). I do not play it anymore but I stayed with it for over a year because it was a great WOW clone.

I also agree that SWTOR should have been on the list - or at least in the 10 top f2p wow clones. Much as Bioware does not want to be considered a WOW clone most of what is in the game if very WOW-like.

I did enjoy Runes of Magic for a week - until I finally had enough of the in your face cash shop. That is my complaint of all f2p wow-clones. I understand why they need to pressure the players for money (after all - they are a business) but, like spam phone calls, after a while I would rather not have them.

I will have to try Allods Online, but later, as I have to do my morning garrision maintence in WOW :)

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

WOW was an EQ clone - bull feces. I played EQ for about 3 months. You had no idea what you were doing as you had to dig for quests. There was no pve server - everything was pvp. There were a number of other complexities that annoyed me that I cannot believe that I forgot about them. There were so many design improvements between WOW and EQ that calling them similar is a dis-service to both.

I gave up on EQ and went to Lineage 2. You can't say the L2 is a WOW clone as it pre-dated WOW but there are a lot of similarities. Still, WOW is still the king of MMO's and I still play it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by EstrangeDrainage
    Did this website call WoW an EQ clone?

Well, it might come as a shock to you...get ready.....ok?.........WOW is not the first mmo ever created. Before you lot discovered the internet and people told you about this holy grail called WOW...there were other games.....like EQ....even EQ2.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by tordurbar

WOW was an EQ clone - bull feces. I played EQ for about 3 months. You had no idea what you were doing as you had to dig for quests. There was no pve server - everything was pvp. There were a number of other complexities that annoyed me that I cannot believe that I forgot about them. There were so many design improvements between WOW and EQ that calling them similar is a dis-service to both.

I gave up on EQ and went to Lineage 2. You can't say the L2 is a WOW clone as it pre-dated WOW but there are a lot of similarities. Still, WOW is still the king of MMO's and I still play it.

You must not have been playing EQ when WoW came out, because everyone who played EQ was calling WoW an EQ clone.   And a lot of the people came over from EQ did so because it was so much like EQ only +fun.

EQ didn't hold your hand, WoWs great innovation was hand holding.  WoW was basically EQ made more accessible.  We are talking about the game called EverCrack back then because it was so addicting, WoW made that crack more accessible and more polished that was all it took to breed a new generation of addicts.  If you try to find actual new features that WoW brought to the equation back then the list will be mighty short.