Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extremely wishful thinking

ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Okay guys, so this probably won't happen in a million years, but close your eyes and imagine this.

City of Heroes, re-created using Unreal 4 engine. With oculus rift support, so you can fly around the city in first-person view before swooping down on some criminals.

RIGHT?

RIGHT??

Comments

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    no

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    You might as well said it would be a WoW killer because it's about as flame bait as the Oculus Rift is...
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Mount and Blade shoulda been the most popular moba ever created.  But somehow it wasn't.  I think its a really good idea but I don't think the market will actually pick it up.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

While I love innovation and trying new things, Oculus is only really useful for games that simulate a "person in a sitting posture". Games like car racing, flight simulators.

I think we are still some time away from VR delivering "walking around games" that are more fun than those not using VR.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Ergload

Okay guys, so this probably won't happen in a million years, but close your eyes and imagine this.

City of Heroes, re-created using Unreal 4 engine. With oculus rift support, so you can fly around the city in first-person view before swooping down on some criminals.

RIGHT?

RIGHT??

Except those city buildings are meaningless 2D structures,If i was to enjoy a game like that ,i want every building to have meaning,have ,stairs,rooms,counters,beds ect ect.Think of it like H1Z1 survvial game,you have to go around buildings looking for loot and items that aid you in combat.

Simply generating a world takes so little effort,it makes a game a B rated game not a Triple A game.I like that hand design feel where everything is placed with purpose and does something for the game play.Otherwise might as well just carve out a large 2048x2048x2048 box toss a LOD texture on each wall and let players have at  it because that is about the same of it.

I cannot support CHEAP effort games ,like most space games with their open space with a few dotted asteroids and some star textures pasted onto the walls does not cut it.I want world DETAIL ,it brings the world alive and makes it fun to hangout in it.It also means the game has more going for it than a simple super hero pvp game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Except those city buildings are meaningless 2D structures,If i was to enjoy a game like that ,i want every building to have meaning,have ,stairs,rooms,counters,beds ect ect.Think of it like H1Z1 survvial game,you have to go around buildings looking for loot and items that aid you in combat.

Simply generating a world takes so little effort,it makes a game a B rated game not a Triple A game.I like that hand design feel where everything is placed with purpose and does something for the game play.Otherwise might as well just carve out a large 2048x2048x2048 box toss a LOD texture on each wall and let players have at  it because that is about the same of it.

I cannot support CHEAP effort games ,like most space games with their open space with a few dotted asteroids and some star textures pasted onto the walls does not cut it.I want world DETAIL ,it brings the world alive and makes it fun to hangout in it.It also means the game has more going for it than a simple super hero pvp game.

So basically it's a superhero game...

...only instead of all that boring "epic fight against villainy" against the city's backdrop...

...it's a giant dumpster-diving game where you spend 90% of your time running around a near-empty city, and 9% of your time digging through trash, just like H1Z1!

Er, but wait that doesn't sound remotely superhero-like.  Nor fun.

As a developer, survival games look extremely cheap to make.  99% of the gameplay is running between areas looting things, so most of the work is just setting up the map(s) with lots of indoor places.  You don't have to worry about combat design or PVE quality, because players in survival games accept truly awful combat, and PVE is usually against zombies (and zombies means the expectation for AI is already super low.)  No zombie in a survival game was anywhere near as interesting to fight against as any of the various enemies I fought in CoH.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver