Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Top 5 Free-to-Play WoW Clones

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by puffmouse
    For follow up article please post top 5 free eq clones

sadly EQ clones dont exist.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by syriinx

For all the people saying Rift or ToR:  this seems to be a list of true f2p, not freemium games.

As far as Rift being a WoW clone, it certainly was at launch.  Not even close. At launch Rift had dynamic events(RIFTS). WOW did not. Rifts class system had 6 subclass/roles per class type. WOW only has three trees of progression. I personally would contest this assertion. Ever see a gnome, orc, or goblin in RIFT?

GCD based combat (EQ/EQ2 did not have this) Not sure what GCD is.

3 tree talent point system (EQ/EQ2 did not have this)  While EQ/EQ2 did not have this. Dark Age of Camelot did. In fact it was probably taken from Dark Age of Camelot. Dark age of Camelot is 2001-2002. Long before WOW.

Fast leveling tailored towards the solo player meant to be done in a month or less (WoW at launch was not like this, but by the time Rift was made it was.  EQ was the exact opposite.  EQ2 does follow the WoW model now)

grey/green/blue/purple formula based ilevel gear (EQ's gear was a lot more creative.  EQ2 did have a similar system but at least didnt use the color system.  Both did a better job of hiding the ilevel system when used)

battleground PvP the main PvP focus (EQ/EQ2 did not have a pvp focus at all, although EQ2 did add battlegrounds later)WOW directly stole this from Dark Age of Camelot. As pvp is what DAOC is known for. DAOC had its level 10-20 BG long before it was even thought of by WOW developers. This also includes pvp specific gear.

gather, click, no fail combine tradeskill with guaranteed skill up success (both EQ and EQ2 have different systems)Dark Age of Camelot again. MAn think I should call WOW a DAOC clone!

gathering professions and production professions, with limits to how many you can choose (EQ and EQ2 both have different approaches)DAOC again..

*ALL* dungeons instanced, with a clear path from one end to the other.  Recycled at max level, meant to be repeated over and over and over and over and over for tokens for gear.  (Ok, EQ did popularize the token grind, but both EQ and EQ2 mix in open world dungeons as well.  Both games also contain some non linear dungeons.  EQ had some level scaling dungeons.  EQ2 later reused a couple of popular dungeons.  But neither game blatantly made their leveling dungeons double as their endgame dungeons. Do I have to go there again. Dark Age of Camelot had this first. Darkness Falls anyone? It is incredible you keep mentioning things and mechanics from the best pvp mmorpg of all time.

Yes, Rift had EQ2's collections and a public quest type system, but its core gameplay was lifted from WoW, not EQ/EQ2.  Actually WOW took this aspect from Everquest(CIRCA 1999-2002"Luclin"). Also includes the separate crafting materials needed to craft specific armors and weapons.

The people that say WoW is an EQ clone don't understand the concept at all. Just as you do not understand the concept either it seems. Since many of the mechanics and structure of what WOW seems is based off of Dark Age of Camelot.

EQ and WoW share genre similarities.  Most of the core gameplay between the two games is very different and there were some huge philosophical differences. I agree with you here. As WOW was directly influenced by Dark Age of Camelot.

Because of all the mistaken assertions made by both WOW advocates and others I have decided to put my old school voice in on this debate. In the above quote I will give my remarks in red as in this post.

Just so everyone knows. WOW took many things from different games to blend it to a good format. It was quite successful.

Much of what WOW is came from Dark Age of Camelot. That is a certainty. While the arguments shown have merit. All games, WOW or not, take ideas that work from other games and put them in the new game. WOW did it very well at a time when only a couple of games had the features WOW currently has.

As someone who has played mmorpgs for over 17 years now. I find the arguments funny. So decided to put my view in. Just to keep the mumble jumble going ;-D

Originally posted by xpowderx

For all the people saying Rift or ToR:  this seems to be a list of true f2p, not freemium games.

As far as Rift being a WoW clone, it certainly was at launch.  Not even close. At launch Rift had dynamic events(RIFTS). WOW did not. Rifts class system had 6 subclass/roles per class type. WOW only has three trees of progression. I personally would contest this assertion. Ever see a gnome, orc, or goblin in RIFT?

Yes, Rift had dynamic events.  Clone doesnt mean that everything is exactly the same.  WoW has three trees of progression,  Ultimately so does Rift.  You get to choose the three trees, but it still coems down to assigning points in one of three trees.  Gnome, orc or goblin?  Both games are definitely fantasy, but thats irrelevant.  SWtOR is also a WoW clone regardless of the sci fi setting.

GCD based combat (EQ/EQ2 did not have this) Not sure what GCD is.

Global cooldown.  In WoW and Rift there is a minimum time between attacks, with the exception of a few instant abilities.  EQ and EQ2 do not use this

3 tree talent point system (EQ/EQ2 did not have this)  While EQ/EQ2 did not have this. Dark Age of Camelot did. In fact it was probably taken from Dark Age of Camelot. Dark age of Camelot is 2001-2002. Long before WOW.

The system that first appeared in MMORPG form in WoW was in other types of RPGs before, most notably (and the blatantly obvious inspiration) in Diablo II.  DAoC system is unique to MMOs.  Its not a strict three tree system, many classes had more than three trees.  The D2/WoW/Rift/SWtOR system involves improving specific abilities and innate talents through the use of talent points.

Fast leveling tailored towards the solo player meant to be done in a month or less (WoW at launch was not like this, but by the time Rift was made it was.  EQ was the exact opposite.  EQ2 does follow the WoW model now)

grey/green/blue/purple formula based ilevel gear (EQ's gear was a lot more creative.  EQ2 did have a similar system but at least didnt use the color system.  Both did a better job of hiding the ilevel system when used)

battleground PvP the main PvP focus (EQ/EQ2 did not have a pvp focus at all, although EQ2 did add battlegrounds later)WOW directly stole this from Dark Age of Camelot. As pvp is what DAOC is known for. DAOC had its level 10-20 BG long before it was even thought of by WOW developers. This also includes pvp specific gear.

DAoC battleground is very different from WoW.  WoW Battlegrounds are objective based with clear victory conditions where everyone queues at once.  DAoC battlegrounds are more like open world PvP zones

gather, click, no fail combine tradeskill with guaranteed skill up success (both EQ and EQ2 have different systems)Dark Age of Camelot again. MAn think I should call WOW a DAOC clone!

I never claimed WoW created this, but the crafting in WoW is drastically different from EQ (the game people say its a clone of) and EQ2 (a game in the themepark subgenre) but extremely similar to Rift

Its been a while but I thought DAoC had failures at least

gathering professions and production professions, with limits to how many you can choose (EQ and EQ2 both have different approaches)DAOC again..

*ALL* dungeons instanced, with a clear path from one end to the other.  Recycled at max level, meant to be repeated over and over and over and over and over for tokens for gear.  (Ok, EQ did popularize the token grind, but both EQ and EQ2 mix in open world dungeons as well.  Both games also contain some non linear dungeons.  EQ had some level scaling dungeons.  EQ2 later reused a couple of popular dungeons.  But neither game blatantly made their leveling dungeons double as their endgame dungeons. Do I have to go there again. Dark Age of Camelot had this first. Darkness Falls anyone? It is incredible you keep mentioning things and mechanics from the best pvp mmorpg of all time.

Darkness Falls is completely unlike anything in WoW or Rift.  both these games are completely void of true open world dungeons (caves dont count)

Yes, Rift had EQ2's collections and a public quest type system, but its core gameplay was lifted from WoW, not EQ/EQ2.  Actually WOW took this aspect from Everquest(CIRCA 1999-2002"Luclin"). Also includes the separate crafting materials needed to craft specific armors and weapons.

Not sure how this follows what I wrote.  Pretty sure separate crafting materials for specific items is something that existed outside of MMORPG land anyway

The people that say WoW is an EQ clone don't understand the concept at all. Just as you do not understand the concept either it seems. Since many of the mechanics and structure of what WOW seems is based off of Dark Age of Camelot.

Playing WoW and playing any earlier MMORPG are just completely different experiences.  Did Blizzard look at DAoC?  Of course.  I dont see a whole lot of any particular game in WoW, just some genre influences and some non genre influences. 

Rift vs WoW is a different story.  Rift was very obviously influenced HEAVILY by WoW.  With a dash of EQ2 and WAR.

EQ and WoW share genre similarities.  Most of the core gameplay between the two games is very different and there were some huge philosophical differences. I agree with you here. As WOW was directly influenced by Dark Age of Camelot.

Again, the two games play nothing alike.  But the same could be said of DAoC, AC, and EQ along with WoW.  The same cannot be said about WoW, Rift, and SWtOR

Because of all the mistaken assertions made by both WOW advocates and others I have decided to put my old school voice in on this debate. In the above quote I will give my remarks in red as in this post.

Just so everyone knows. WOW took many things from different games to blend it to a good format. It was quite successful.

Much of what WOW is came from Dark Age of Camelot. That is a certainty. While the arguments shown have merit. All games, WOW or not, take ideas that work from other games and put them in the new game. WOW did it very well at a time when only a couple of games had the features WOW currently has.

As someone who has played mmorpgs for over 17 years now. I find the arguments funny. So decided to put my view in. Just to keep the mumble jumble going ;-D

Except for your saying that WoW took a lot from DAoC, I agree with this.  WoW looked at everything.  built a brand new game from the ground up with inspiration from many sources (DAoC was one, but certainly comes nowhere near 'much of WoW').  Rift pulled the basis for its character progression/class sytem, its combat, its leveling experience, its instanced pvp experience, its gearing methods, its UI, its crafting, its gathering...all from one game.  Did they tweak it a little here and there?  Sure.  Did they add a couple features that WoW doesnt have?  Sure.  But the majority of the game came from WoW, and thats why its considered a WoW clone.  Even if WoW didnt do everything first, they did a much better job of distinguishing themselves from their inspirations.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I agree with you syrlinx.

Man, do I miss Star Wars Galaxies!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    has the author of the article never played LOTRO or rift? 

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by itchmon

Pretty sure this was about pure f2p games (although Allods has a sub server I think now), not former p2p games converted to freemium

Originally posted by Deyirn

IMO, I don't believe that LoTRO or RIFT can count as WoW clones' because their developers hadn't had the idea of making a game that resembles WoW, especially LoTRO. They just happen to be using the same tab-targeting mechanic that has proven to work the best for this type of games.

And since EverQuest I was the first game of this kind (AFAIK), WoW should be deemed as an EQ clone. :D

Come on now.  LOTRO I can give you but Rift was clearly modeled directly after WoW.  It goes way beyond tab targetting (which is just one part of the combat)

Rift is the game (at its launch) that is the closest thing to a WoW clone besides possibly Allods.  

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

And since EverQuest I was the first game of this kind (AFAIK), WoW should be deemed as an EQ clone. :D

At least this argument is put to rest.

If you watched the LFG documentary, the devs said they were playing EQ and it was the inspiration for WoW.

http://youtu.be/xyPzTywUBsQ?t=7m19s

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

Rift launched as a WoW clone.  In many ways, it still is.  Just because Trion has decided to mimic the systems of other games as well doesn't make it any less of a WoW clone.  It just makes it more a hodge-podge collection of numerous games.  

Trion is not known for innovation.  They are known for duplication.  

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

IMO, I don't believe that LoTRO or RIFT can count as WoW clones' because their developers hadn't had the idea of making a game that resembles WoW, especially LoTRO. They just happen to be using the same tab-targeting mechanic that has proven to work the best for this type of games.

Come on now.  LOTRO I can give you but Rift was clearly modeled directly after WoW.  It goes way beyond tab targetting (which is just one part of the combat)

Rift is the game (at its launch) that is the closest thing to a WoW clone besides possibly Allods.  

Rift is a WoW clone, I think it was the first that came to mind in my list above, Lotro definitely not, it was one of the few MMOS since WoW came out that has tried to create its own MMO space.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Rift is the #1 WoW clone out there atm that is "F2P".
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Alganon used the same backgroudns for te talent trees as WoW in beta. Or maybe eben now, dunno, I didn't think that I would EVER read that name anywhere but maybe in a list of "the worst attempts at cloning existing MMOS, failing to even surpass asia grinders"

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    How in earth there is people who see Rift as a WoW clone? i mean... seriously?

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Seriously David, there is nothing free about any of those games you listed.  All require item shop purchases.  Sure you can avoid the item shop if you so desire, but that disallows you from a significant portion of the game.

Basically most of these games require you to gamble as you have to buy chance boxes to advance play.

Exactly, plus they are all grind heavy to ensure you pay for as long as possible!!

I stopped playing Runes of Magic the second I discovered it rented backpack space for real money on a monthly basis. Don't know if it is still the case, but based on that BS, did not bother to hang around to find out what other parts of the f2p were going to be an ongoing drain on my empty wallet!

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Varthander

How on earth do people not see it?  It was one of the most blatent WoW clones ever upon release.  Since then, Trion has added other things into the game, stolen from other MMOs, I might add.  But make no mistake about it, WoW was Rift's inspiration.  

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Varthander

Well there was a guy a few pages back that said GW2 was a top WoW clone lol.  I guess I can see the similarities between WoW and GW2 with the quest hearts and their alternate completion objectives, action combat, active dodge, lesser focus on gear stats, no trinity, living story, WvW, voiced personal story, and buy-to-play.  Just like WoW....

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Rift was a wow clone - you levelled through zones in a linear fashion with a main storyline and side quests, hub to hub. You had skill trees, at max level you geared up in 5 mans then you raided. the core of the game was level to max then raid.

Lotr is different because the intent of the game was to create the Lotr world, and we can see the fruits of that now, raiding is largely a Sid concern and the game has a huge dedicated RP community and vibe to it.

From an AAA perspective the games that were not clones are GW1&2, ESO, LOTR, ARCHEAGE.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    all dead games.

Go to hell!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    games that are clones/not clones = 'all dead games'?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Seriously David, there is nothing free about any of those games you listed.  All require item shop purchases.  Sure you can avoid the item shop if you so desire, but that disallows you from a significant portion of the game.

Basically most of these games require you to gamble as you have to buy chance boxes to advance play.

"Seriously david... they're not free.... but they're free."

Does anyone even like you Oz?  Go away!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Sorry Dave I can not do that......Daisy daisy, give me your answer do.......
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Rift is definitely the best quality WoW clone. Why is it not on the list? Have they closed the Rift?

Too innovative maybe? To be fair, they did have some cool features and deep talent trees. 

Because it's not a WoW clone. The closest thing it could be paired to might be EQ2, but it's not really a clone. People are confusing "clone" with standard themepark. Those games are nearly clones in both appearance, gameplay, and feel. Rift has some similar systems (Auction House and Crafting), but it neither looks or plays like WoW. Rift also has some systems that are nothing like WoW systems (class building, artifact hunting, dimensions). Aion and especially TERA don't even look or play like WoW.

Themepark doesn't equal WoW Clone. A clone is an identical. The games on that list fit. The other games in the comments, not so much.

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

WoW when released was more similar to EverQuest, than Rift was to WoW when it was released.  All WoW did was change the graphics it made it more accessible.  Going by your logic there should be no such thing as a WoW clone, everything should be called an EverQuest clone.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by Thestrain

There we go again... arguing about literal meaning of WOW CLONE. Typical. A MMO doesn't have to to be similar in 'looks' alone to be considered a wow clone.

Rift was a blatant rip off of WOW if you didn't know that then i blame it on willful ignorance.

WoW when released was more similar to EverQuest, than Rift was to WoW when it was released.  All WoW did was change the graphics it made it more accessible.  Going by your logic there should be no such thing as a WoW clone, everything should be called an EverQuest clone.

Stop with the logic sir , according to MMORPG.com WoW invented the MMORPG. /sarcasm off

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is funny because i don't often agree but imo ROM is the best clone,i played it for about 6 months and had some fun.It does exactly what Wow does,has some VERY tough instances,like so tough you can die within seconds but also has some unique ideas that WOW does not.

It also has Guild Wars something Guild Wars does not lol.

The ONLY blemish on the game was it's cash shop,it had some fun ideas but very costly.IMO if they had of updated with better graphics,lose the cash shop and incorporate the same idea with a sub fee and some new systems ot make it work,it would have been a much better game than Wow.BTW the game also had semi instances,sort of instances that were still open to the public. and the creatures were shared but would re-spawn after time.

I actually was in a bored point,having quit FFXi and EQ2 and i made ROM my home after trying Wow for 3 days and abruptly leaving it.SO if i found ROM to be worth 6 months and Wow 3 days,it really shows what i think of Wow.

IMO ROM is actuall ya game that could be shined up and polished and re-released into a very good game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.