Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMORPG

2»

Comments

• codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Ah, well, the starting islands are optional now - they changed it because of beta feedback. You now land in a big city when coming out of Coldhaven, and you can pick up the factional and main storylines from there. Although I personally found the starting islands worth doing. In many ways the gameplay is similar though. The main storyline keeps you on track and tells you where to go next, but there are still quite a few quests hidden off the beaten track. ^^

Still, you can always safe the exploring until you've gotten a better grasp of the game. If you've enjoyed SWTOR's story content, chances are you'll enjoy ESO's questlines as well. :)

Neverwinter started with Tieflings already in game, the half-demons/devils with the horns and tail. And it's very solo friendly, the entire 1 to 60 storyline is mostly made up of instances similar to SWTOR's approach, with some open world missions here and there. The Foundry (player made) missions can be aimed at groups, but even there 90% of them are aimed at solo players. Even much of the endgame content is solo (the so called "campaigns") - although it has the standard variety of "Epic" dungeons for gear as well.

Other than that you have Skirmishes and Dungeons, which are group based, but definitely not required to progress. Most people only do them for the daily reward, or to see the content.

Ah I see. I did like SWTOR;s story but I sadly couldn't get far due to various reasons. Lag being a huge factor at the time, but this was back when it first went free I think.. if I remember. 

Either way ESO will have to wait till it's free and I can try it at a friends. There is no word on a free trial on the way so through a friend is the only way I can test it out ^^;

I didn't know that. I don;t think there was a lot of completed content in the beta I tried so I did like one or two things. I might try it again just to give it a fair chance, not like it'll hurt seeing as it's free anyway. 

• codekittencodekitten Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

TSW is very worth it if you enjoy story content, as it has some of the best storylines out there among MMOs. It's also a very atmospheric game, with great sound effects and ambience to set the mood.

As someone already mentioned earlier, there are parts where you'll need to split up when playing with someone though. These are mostly main storyline solo instances, but a fair amount of sabotage and stealth missions also make you do it. (And some of them are quite long, especially the first time around when you're trying to figure things out)

Unless it's a dungeon (and thus group content), the moment you see you're dealing with an instanced mission, you'll know it's time to go solo. Which I found very annoying while playing with a friend. (Fortunately he's not all that much into modern fantasy/horror anyway, so I'm usually soloing it anyway - for which the game is awesome)

im ok with grouping and such I have no issues with teaming up. Also FFXIv rather made me get use to breaking up a group for certain missions or quests. xP Annoying as it was it just kind of became a habit near the end. For sure I want to try it out though. When I get a few moments anyway. Today has been one of my longer more hectic days. 

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by codekitten
    Originally posted by Shayyd80

I'd suggest The Secret World (with your husband). It's not very solo friendly sometimes. The dungeons are highly challenging and rewarding though. The RP is very good and the people are mostly nice. 

Star Wars the Old Republic is pretty good too for F2P though there are some annoying cash shop stipulations. Currently i'm playing as preferred status and having some fun with it. I might sub. Just depends. 

Guild Wars 2 is good but... gets old quick. 

There is a stale state in MMO's right now if you ask me. 

WoW like you said lost it's shine after WoD was out for a couple months. My wife still plays it and won't try anything else becuase she's afraid of change. lol 

FFXIV got old quick, great game but... grindfest central. 

So... with all that being said I'd say go with 

SWTOR and/or TSW. (Rift would also be good for you guys), the cash shop in Rift isn't so bad, they ahve the best F2P model out there. 

Hope this helps =)

TSW might be the best bet.. it would be a nice change from the pure fantasy style i'm usually playing at the least. 

I have a few months of WoW left but I'm not going to work to get into a guild knowing I want the sub to run out. I log in once a week to run ICC and call it a done deal for the week. I loved when WoD first released it was great. But now the last updates and the social media stuff.. I don't think I'll be crawling back. There are some things a MMO doesn't really need. 

FFXIV the grind was my issue.. also the fact I love crafting in a mmo but that game.. I HATED crafting. I have all my crafts to 50 and all the classes minus 3 I think. But Crafting wasn't even about leveling it .. there was a rotation to crafting .. D: plus if you didn't have the best of the best.. forget it. I dropped 6mil on getting the best of the best and still couldn't craft the item I wanted. .w.

I would try Rift again but I doubt I could get my husband to go back. We played Rift back during its p2p run. CE's and everything. Played it steady for a few years till the guild drama broke it for everyone. Ok also a mix of people being unable to follow simple commands. Hey guys ya know.. don't stand like.. yeah where you all died for the 10th time tonight. .__. maybe? no.. ok..

Let me know if you decide to play TSW or whatever. I'm looking for an excuse to start a new MMO anyways. I've been dabbling in SWTOR here and there (not grinding or anything). I've been playing Advanced Warfare, Evolve, Alien: Isolation, games like that to tide me over till i decide to go with something. I really enjoyed TSW when I was playing it. Fantastic storylines and atmosphere. I'd go back and play again and start fresh if i had some friends that wanted to as well. I'd rather group in TSW, especially when you get to Egypt. (Egypt destroyed me physically and emotionally) lol Anywyas... let me know what you guys decide =) 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by codekitten

If you could ask around though that would help me a lot. I'd be willing to give it a go. Might as well I have tried so many mmo's that I'm pretty much up for anything really. 

Ok, I'll ask around tomorrow, and drop a pm if I find any.

Sorry, it took awhile, seems the christmas and the latest GM sale depleted the key reserve...  Pm sent.

For the stuff within the key and what to do with the bonus points check this summary and/or shameless plug image http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6568770

If you got a key already, you can drop this extra one into the TSW buddy key thread.

Have fun with the game :)

• netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    The only problem with TSW is actually his class system. The're are no classes. Your role is based on weapon and skill learned. That's why some people had trouble with higher level areas where groups are bigger and harder, And didn't have a proper build. They had to go to starting area to retrain and sometimes regear correctly.

One element of TSW that I didn't enjoy was how one learns certain fighting styles that get your through the starting areas through just before the high level areas. Then suddenly you find yourself getting instantly killed while fighting certain mobs with certain skill sets. You suddenly have to drop all those skills and hope you have enough skill points to start purchasing new skills.

Overall it's refreshing to have a MMORPG that is based in a Horror universe.  (^_^) 

• netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
                            As many others have already stated, I highly suggest picking up a copy of GW2. I believe there is even a super sale for the GW2 this weekend. You just have to pay once and keep away from the pay store. You can also try EQ2 just to give it a free spin. Just remember that when you enter your nation's city, it'll look like a ghost town. The reason is that most players are residing in their Guild Halls. They never have to step into the town to visit the Auction Hall. Also the Guild Halls allow members to teleport back to the guild hall and there are usually exit portals from the hall to all over the world.
  • Overlord_NeizirOverlord_Neizir Member UncommonPosts: 136
    You ever considered ESO?