Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strayed away from mmos looking to come back

KeenoSlaysKeenoSlays Member CommonPosts: 2

Hey guys, long story short I used to play mmos all the time, friends got me into competitive games, no longer interested in competitive (either you destroy there team or they destroy you never an even/close game and it just got really stale). So I'm looking to come back to mmorpg genre specifically game they have a really good pve experience (especially late game).

I've already got a couple games in mind but I'm not so sure yet...

- Neverwinter

- Marvel heroes 2015

3 games I don't want to return to

- World of warcraft

- Final Fantasy Realm Reborn

- Tera

I'm quite happy to play action or tab target. I'm ok with going through a paywall too, I'm just looking for a strong pve focused mmo that I can make friends while grouping. Art style is irrelevant to me too more interested about the game mechanics and the challenge of the content.. Also would like it to be some what populated.

I'm currently waiting on skyforge and Dungeon fighter online so for now I wish to find something to play in the mean time and hopefully stick to beyond these games.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

I would have to say Guild Wars 2.

Here is the reason. I've played literally hundreds of MMOs in the past and they all have a "peak" in popularity shortly after launch, going downhill most of their lifetime.

Guild Wars 2 clearly did something right as two years after release, people keep coming back. The population is quite healthy - it takes about 2-3 minutes to find a group. It was also designed with cross-level grouping in mind, so a difference in level between you and anyone you meet will never stop you from playing together.

People usually dislike it for the lack of trinity. That said, I have been playing an Elementalist for two years and am not yet bored of the class - the lack of dedicated trinity results in a very flexible approach to gameplay.

It is buy-to-play, which to me is a huge positive. You do share the world only with those that at least made a bit of an investment to actually purchase the game.

If you ever decide to give it a try, I have a small casual group of 4-6 active players doing all sorts of PvE content daily.

• KeenoSlaysKeenoSlays Member CommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by laxie

I would have to say Guild Wars 2.

Here is the reason. I've played literally hundreds of MMOs in the past and they all have a "peak" in popularity shortly after launch, going downhill most of their lifetime.

Guild Wars 2 clearly did something right as two years after release, people keep coming back. The population is quite healthy - it takes about 2-3 minutes to find a group. It was also designed with cross-level grouping in mind, so a difference in level between you and anyone you meet will never stop you from playing together.

People usually dislike it for the lack of trinity. That said, I have been playing an Elementalist for two years and am not yet bored of the class - the lack of dedicated trinity results in a very flexible approach to gameplay.

It is buy-to-play, which to me is a huge positive. You do share the world only with those that at least made a bit of an investment to actually purchase the game.

If you ever decide to give it a try, I have a small casual group of 4-6 active players doing all sorts of PvE content daily.

I was actually thinking about going to gw2 too, but from looking at it from the outside (twitch streams ect) it seemed very pvp orientated, though I can't argue with someone that has been playing for 2 years so :P. I'll pick it up at some point after work and try it out. Though I'm in the UK so I'd be playing between 6pm and 12 my time.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Though Guild Wars two was a great leveling experience, the group content in my opinion was horrid due to the lack of defined roles of players (no tank, heals, or DPS)  which makes doing a dungeon an exercise of everyone running around dying and running back after the wipe over and over.

I would highly recommend Elder Scrolls Online.  Of all the games out right now, It brings the most immersive experience and has an incredible amount of PvE content which you can experience across different characters or all one one character (I don't like alts).  In addition the group content is solid and challenging (Dungeons require 4 players which is a + with my small guild) and player crafted items and gear is the best in game.

In addition on (i think) Monday, ESO launches patch 1.6 which is basically ESO 2.0 adding in new systems and revisions with over 60+ pages of Patch Notes.  Huge leap forward for the game and in addition on March 17 the game becomes buy to play.  No subscription needed.

Best overall experience out there right now in my opinion.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by KeenoSlays

I'm quite happy to play action or tab target. I'm ok with going through a paywall too, I'm just looking for a strong pve focused mmo that I can make friends while grouping. Art style is irrelevant to me too more interested about the game mechanics and the challenge of the content.. Also would like it to be some what populated.
    Thanks for your time.

The Secret World.

Trust me its worth the investment.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

Though Guild Wars two was a great leveling experience, the group content in my opinion was horrid due to the lack of defined roles of players (no tank, heals, or DPS)  which makes doing a dungeon an exercise of everyone running around dying and running back after the wipe over and over.

I would highly recommend Elder Scrolls Online.  Of all the games out right now, It brings the most immersive experience and has an incredible amount of PvE content which you can experience across different characters or all one one character (I don't like alts).  In addition the group content is solid and challenging (Dungeons require 4 players which is a + with my small guild) and player crafted items and gear is the best in game.

In addition on (i think) Monday, ESO launches patch 1.6 which is basically ESO 2.0 adding in new systems and revisions with over 60+ pages of Patch Notes.  Huge leap forward for the game and in addition on March 17 the game becomes buy to play.  No subscription needed.

Best overall experience out there right now in my opinion.

How long ago did you play GW2?

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Played at launch for an extended time...6 months to a year..  Came back for living story segments, etc.  It's probably been a year since I've had it installed.
  • knightofblackvalorknightofblackvalor Member Posts: 25
    ESO is the best mmorpg to date.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

ESO, SWTOR, Neverwinter and TSW would be my suggestions.

ESO and TSW are (or will be soon*) B2P, so those two take an initial investment - but the others are F2P, so you can try them and see whether you like them or not.

All of them are mostly PvE games, with optional PvP for those that want it. Well, ESO has a bit more of a PvP focus than the other two, but you can definitely play it without ever participating in it and focusing on the PvE side (especially if you enjoy good storylines while questing).

* Technically I guess you can call ESO B2P already if you're a new player, since you'll get one month of sub time with the box, and it'll transition fully into B2P on March 17th, so you can keep playing indefinitely even if you don't renew the sub.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

The Secret World or SWTOR are probably suitable for you. i would say GW2 but to me it's PVE feels like "you are doing it with others but not really" type. not because of lack of common trinity though, because of zergs and lack of any raid type thingy. i actually like the fact that there is no common trinity since i like the idea of handling my own character myself. most characters based on their role have different things to do in dungeons (providing stability, stealth, conjured weapons etc).

i only played ESO in beta and much obviously has changed so not gonna comment on that.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Played at launch for an extended time...6 months to a year..  Came back for living story segments, etc.  It's probably been a year since I've had it installed.

The reason I asked is because there had been changes a while back that prevented the zerg and run back in method. Basically, if you die, you can't rez until everyone is out of combat. 

It forced people to learn the fights.

You should check it out again. Won't say it's my favorite combat system, but it's not as bad as it originally was.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I've got to say GW2. Loving it still, and the upcoming expansion looks great!

EDIT:

Forgot about ESO going B2P this month. That's a great title too!

Can't go wrong with either of those.

You also mentioned Neverwinter, it's awesome too, just not as good as GW2, or ESO imo.