Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth returning?

SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

My wife and I haven't played in more than a year, but we have been toying with the Idea of giving it another shot.  We haven't played since maybe a month and a half or so after release.  We are hoping there has been improvements to the overall game play such as latency issues, grouping problems in dungeons, and quest bugs.  How is the population?  Are we going to be running around in empty zones? 

I remember enjoying the game for the most part but we just had so many issues getting things done we decided to stop playing and just pretty much forgot about it.  I would think that in a years time things would be improved but we are hoping some one could shed a little light on this for us and let us know if the game is worth coming back to.  Also paying a sub is not an issue we are not interested in waiting for the 1.6 B2P model to be released we are looking for something to play now and ESO is currently on the top of the list. Thank you.

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I know you say you arent interested in waiting for B2P, thats fair, but you should wait for 1.6 which is scheduled to released in a couple of days, that patch pretty much revamps everything class wise and a couple of more areas.

I am planning on returning myself the second that 1.6 is out.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Virtually no quest bugs anymore. The only empty zones are the Vet zones. No one wants to grind quests there to level. Most go straight to Craglorn. I average a 89 ping from Michigan, but during huge Cyrodiil fights with a couple hundred people on one keep the ping will sky rocket. I've never heard of ping issue in the pve areas. I haven't seen a grouping problem thread in many months. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Virtually no quest bugs anymore. The only empty zones are the Vet zones. No one wants to grind quests there to level. Most go straight to Craglorn. I average a 89 ping from Michigan, but during huge Cyrodiil fights with a couple hundred people on one keep the ping will sky rocket. I've never heard of ping issue in the pve areas. 

is it easy enough to find groups for craglorn as a newcommer?

Originally posted by Moodsor
    Virtually no quest bugs anymore. The only empty zones are the Vet zones. No one wants to grind quests there to level. Most go straight to Craglorn. I average a 89 ping from Michigan, but during huge Cyrodiil fights with a couple hundred people on one keep the ping will sky rocket. I've never heard of ping issue in the pve areas. 

is it easy enough to find groups for craglorn as a newcommer?

Yeah people are always LFM for stuff there.

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

Thank you very much for the information everyone I was very much hoping to hear that the game has vastly improved.

Now to figure out what duo to run with this time.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I would wait for 3 weeks, it goes B2P then. Then you can return (like i will) to check things out again.

Only prob would be to stay on the EU server or go to the US server and try to get into some groups or alliance

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Is the combat still as awful as it was at release?  Playing as an archer I would hit with shots that should have been misses and vice versa.

My other issue with the game was related to the same thing I suppose.  Destro staff or gtfo.  Has this changed?

Originally posted by Kajidourden

Is the combat still as awful as it was at release?  Playing as an archer I would hit with shots that should have been misses and vice versa.

My other issue with the game was related to the same thing I suppose.  Destro staff or gtfo.  Has this changed?

The combat from day one is one of the two major reasons why I play.

The destro staff thing was overblown imo, but a lot of people played it. I never did. A lot of those destro staff users have branched out. Things are pretty even across all weapons now.

• SleepySaifSleepySaif Member Posts: 14

I'll be quite happy to go back to eso. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I would wait.  A major update is coming out so to start now would put you in the middle of a transition period.  Lots of balance issues and working out stuff.  If you want to play through the middle of that then enjoy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

The combat from day one is one of the two major reasons why I play.

The destro staff thing was overblown imo, but a lot of people played it. I never did. A lot of those destro staff users have branched out. Things are pretty even across all weapons now.

I avoided it at first but only recently started playing my new NB as Fire/resto. Actually very fun. To be perfectly honest the entire issue with destruction staff was due to what ... 2 skills and specific build setups? The weapon itself is rather lackluster and why several skills were actually buffed in 1.6.

Top dps sure is starting to appear to be stamina builds but I like my magic builds.

You stay sassy!

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    I cant answer this one, I have no idea if it is worth returning for you, or anyone else.   I like it.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

How is the population? You should find it exactly the same as it was when you last played - the result of mega-server tech.

How are the quest bugs: much, much better. A check on the patch notes will show what has been going on.

The grouping issues: mostly fixed (some issues discussed in other threads).

Is it worth coming back - probably depends what you did when you last played; what you expect going forward. For instance if you didn't play much of the content the game launched with due to "whatever" then you should now be able to do so. If however you played through it all regardless and return expecting  "lots" of new content .... maybe not. A lot of the work that has been done since launch has been "system" rather than "content" related. (Not all but most).

As far as latency goes - tough one. European servers are now in the EU but that may or may not be a factor for you. Loathe to say yes because latency can be tricky. However it is not a "hot button" issue. Simple answer: once 1.6 drops try it and see. 

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I returned to ESO a month and a half ago.  I am having a blast and it seems to be fixed, to me.

I haven't had any quest bugs.  I haven't had any latency issues.

The real world is full and I run into peepz like crazeee out questing and doing the solo dungeons... everybody seems to help too, if you need it.  I left WoW because everybody just stands in a city and does LFG.

Anyway, I'm having fun and it seems WAY better than at launch.

Don't let those peepz scare you that say wait for patch... if you want to have fun go back and get your stuff ready for the patch.

They are just scared.

Sz  :o)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If you're not sure, wait 2 weeks. It cost nothing to return once it's B2P.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• joejudasjoejudas Member UncommonPosts: 13
    no it isnt worth it. its turning into a p2w model with exp boosters. stay away from this game. 
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

It's absolutely worth it.  The upcoming additions with the Justice and Champion systems are fantastic.  I spent some time playing on the Public Test Server and I have to say, I love it.  It feels more like an Elder Scrolls game than it ever has.

As for Mr. Bitter above, he feels slighted because he was Max VR level, etc and they are bringing overpowered end game players in line with everyone else for the purposes of the PvP portion of the game and he recently created an account to make ESO bashing posts.  I think he's up to 3 post now!.

The shop in game is very good.  Cosmetic items such as costumes, Mounts (who's power is based on your riding skill), convience items such as potions (player made are always better btw) and small + 10% exp boosts which puts non subscribers and subscribers on the same page with earning xp..etc

• joejudasjoejudas Member UncommonPosts: 13
    so i feel slighted because i put thousands of hours into a game and paid for it for 10 months so i could be repeatedly lied to and then informed the joke was on me and the whole thing was a paid beta for the console launch. Its ok keep drinking the zos koolaid. 
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

Played since early entry, and i'm still having fun. Cant wait for the update to see how it messes up my character. but that'll be fun in itself trying to make order out of the chaos that will come.

Ive played games that are a lot worse, and this one's one that i'll probably play for a good while longer (i hope). can see a lot of new players coming into the game when they release it for consuls, but would have liked them to keep the kiddies away on their own servers and left the current servers just for pc players.

If you have not played the game in months, give it a go. dont just play for a few hours and decide you dont like it, give it a fair chance. there are lots of places to get lost in and things to do. most people in game are helpful and there are some guilds out there just waiting to grow in size by welcoming new and returning players.

the game is not perfect, but not yet found one that is. no doubt update 6 will bring in some bugs, but if you cant play through them and cant survive the challenge they will bring to the game while they fix the odd bug perhaps you belong elsewhere

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/