Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried to get back into MMOs today: It was horrible

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

1) Renewed my ESO subscription, only to see instantly why I left this game, forced grouping.

2) Logged on to my last month of WoW, decided to do something different, try a 2vs2 arena with my vaunted level 92 Death Knight.

He died instantly.

3) Went to try ArchAge since it is F2P.....it aint....deleted!

4) Tried to install EQ2, it wont install and a bunch of folks are all complaining about this same issue.

5) Tried NOSGOTH...its not an MMO...died instantly.

6) Tried to re-install Neverwinter, forgot my username and password...too much red tape to retrieve and gave up.

7) Looked at Albion....huh...pay money to have the honor of paying an unfinished game in unannounced small time windows..no thanks I will wait.

8) Logged onto Shroud of the Avatar...had to create a new toon yet again...did I mention again? Instantly fell thru the ground. Logged off.

9) Tried Dark Souls: Gave up within 5 minutes -impossibe to play without a console pad.

Soooo, any MMOs that are not money grubbing, unfinished, unless you played from the get go you died, boredom fests?

Comments

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I would recommend Call of Duty.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

It reads to me that most of your problems here are, well YOU. You failed at some PvP right off the bat... practice and get better or start a new toon and build up. YOU can't remember your user name and password... who's fault is that? YOU prefer to play a game with a console pad and don't have one... who's fault is that?

These are hardly issues that you can blame on the games or their companies.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by Torval
    You might try Facebook games. They sound like they might be your speed. You don't have to remember tricky things like usernames and passwords and it's really hard to die. If you like traditional games (card, puzzle, arcade, etc) you could also try Pogo.com. They have an option where you can login with your Facebook account too.

I'd report you for being rude -- but I know it's not a concern here so will probably get me banned for trying to use them to intervene.

I think his post is the experience of many of us.  It certainly represents an average weekend for me.

Originally posted by Dauntis

It reads to me that most of your problems here are, well YOU. You failed at some PvP right off the bat... practice and get better or start a new toon and build up. YOU can't remember your user name and password... who's fault is that? YOU prefer to play a game with a console pad and don't have one... who's fault is that?

These are hardly issues that you can blame on the games or their companies.

So who pays you guys?  Curious.  Seems like you working for the MMO-'Man'.  Good luck with that.  The 'Man' will get you in the end too.

Anyways, now that I got the reactions out of my system....

It's funny the other guy recommended Call of Duty.  I often find myself jumping into Titanfall (same genre).

At least it is mostly fair.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

seems like you dont want to play games, OP. Go for a walk, take a break, do something else for a while. Even non mmos give you reasons to complain for the sake of complaining. Just take a break from gaming.

EDIT: I do agree with the account recovery complain, i have the same issue with NCsoft accounts. But man, you sound burned out of gaming in general.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Uproar
    You might try Facebook games. They sound like they might be your speed. You don't have to remember tricky things like usernames and passwords and it's really hard to die. If you like traditional games (card, puzzle, arcade, etc) you could also try Pogo.com. They have an option where you can login with your Facebook account too.

I'd report you for being rude -- but I know it's not a concern here so will probably get me banned for trying to use them to intervene.

I think his post is the experience of many of us.  It certainly represents an average weekend for me.

UnleadedRev caught one. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

UnleadedRev, while most of the issues are understandable like having problems to restore an account password, the PvP dead instantly because your char is not as good PvP gearded as others (and thats why I said that PvP east model is a fail), I can  only comment about your ESO grouping issue this, which in fact is the same I told my brother  every time this topic comes:

The idea of MMO is to share the world with others, work together to complete certain goals.

If you do not want to group play, then I suggest go back to RPG, 1st Person Shooters, Platforming, Wrestling or Boxing games, because MMO is Not For You.

And no, I don't play ESO, only there in last Beta, so is not that I'm mad because you discarded ESO.

I have to agree, there are a lot of great old rpg's on Steam that the OP may find interesting. I hadn't played Arx Fatalis in years and picked it up for $4.99. It is always good to try different things when you are in a slump.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

UnleadedRev, while most of the issues are understandable like having problems to restore an account password, the PvP dead instantly because your char is not as good PvP gearded as others (and thats why I said that PvP east model is a fail), I can  only comment about your ESO grouping issue this, which in fact is the same I told my brother  every time this topic comes:

The idea of MMO is to share the world with others, work together to complete certain goals.

If you do not want to group play, then I suggest go back to RPG, 1st Person Shooters, Platforming, Wrestling or Boxing games, because MMO is Not For You.

And no, I don't play ESO, only there in last Beta, so is not that I'm mad because you discarded ESO.

I have to agree, there are a lot of great old rpg's on Steam that the OP may find interesting. I hadn't played Arx Fatalis in years and picked it up for $4.99. It is always good to try different things when you are in a slump.

I'll second the RPGs suggestion. Lots of great ones out there, and on Steam you can usually get them dirt cheap whenthey are on sale. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Sounds like you're still suffering from burnout.

Take a longer break, and do something else. Or find an MMO you haven't played yet, read up on before trying, and start from scratch rather than trying to pick up again where you left off.

Coming back to MMO after you haven't played for x amount of updates is pretty much always going to result in getting your ass kicked, especially in PvP.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    you are burned out and just bored . I have two types of games I play one being mmos currently ESO for the last year with a few lapses and 2 sandbox survival games like 7 days to die or planet explorers , basically building games with tons of crafting imagination and challenge. If you want to game and do not want to be forced to group quest or do any of the standard mmorpg style of stuff you might want to look into the sandbox survival genre that games like Day z  or minecraft started as they have games out there for just about anyones taste be it tom hanks castaway style in stranded deep or winter survival in the long dark or zombie survival games like 7 days to die etc.
  • SetEssentialSetEssential Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Just a suggestion for the OP but you could try Star Trek Online. You don't have to group with others and it has a lot of solo content. Since the release of Delta Rising the learning curve and grind has increased but if you don't have to have everything right now and don't mind taking your time it might work for you. Other than that the only thing i can say is take a long break.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I suggest gta iv. the story is really well done. you can also find an occasional team mafia on the multi player.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

1) Renewed my ESO subscription, only to see instantly why I left this game, forced grouping.

2) Logged on to my last month of WoW, decided to do something different, try a 2vs2 arena with my vaunted level 92 Death Knight.

He died instantly.

4) Tried to install EQ2, it wont install and a bunch of folks are all complaining about this same issue.

6) Tried to re-install Neverwinter, forgot my username and password...too much red tape to retrieve and gave up.

7) Looked at Albion....huh...pay money to have the honor of paying an unfinished game in unannounced small time windows..no thanks I will wait.

8) Logged onto Shroud of the Avatar...had to create a new toon yet again...did I mention again? Instantly fell thru the ground. Logged off.

9) Tried Dark Souls: Gave up within 5 minutes -impossibe to play without a console pad.

Soooo, any MMOs that are not money grubbing, unfinished, unless you played from the get go you died, boredom fests?

I don't get number 1 as ESO is a lot of things, forced grouping isn't one of them.

I helped three friends do new installs of EQ2 not to long ago and other than it being a bit of a pain to disable the streaming client it went smoothly.  Click on the play now button on their web page and install the game.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Agreed.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I recommend logging into FFXIV and checking out the Gold Saucer.

<3

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

He died instantly.

Sounds like most of those problems are between the earphones..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SpritemysticSpritemystic Member Posts: 1

I feel you. I so do. I call it Roaming the MMO District. Looking for the right one that makes you remember why you liked playing MMO's to begin with. 

You think of a game and it brings back memories so you install, log in , look around and think "Where the hell do I start"

Than you look at the list of MMOs being released this year - some with super duper hype - look at their release date and think " I do not want to wait that long" 

Guild Wars 2 - Decent population, free to play but a cash shop that stares you in the face, dungeons that are near impossible to do unless you have a superb buddy system going. Sure there are the world bosses but they get repetitve fast. WvW if youre into that sort of thing, I personally hate any sort of PvP

Everquest 2 - Very low population spread amongst servers. General chat is going on with the same names always talking. Free to play yes with a cash shop... again. Used to be an MMO but lately feels more like an RPG since almost everything you can do by yourself with a merc. Almost everyone has their own guild and tries to recruit each other. People waiting for the giant axe to drop since the merger.

Rift - The last time I logged into this game was when they went free to play. I logged in. Got my shinies grandfathered to me. Bought a personal zone. Built a house. Logged out. According to my brother he enjoys playing it "While WoW is Down"

ESO - I bought this game when it first came out following the hype of my community guild. So many issues with the game that it forced quite a few us to unsub. Empty promises from the devs. leading to months later its going f2p. Everyone is getting hyped up again but forget that it going f2p isnt going to fix the reason they left it in the first place.

Bottom line is this. And I hate to say it cause I swear that its the Super Massive Black Hole of MMOs

World of Warcraft - We all think about it in the back of our heads. "Do I want to sub again?" "Will I get addicted again?" You bet you will cause it has everything you want now. PvP where you can suck as much as you want and it not effecting you getting gear.  Dungeons where you can suck as much as you can and still get what you want in the end. Rewards for doing the things you suck at. And for those people who get the things they suck at and enjoy doing it done quickly you can enter the WoWSimGame of playing in your Garrison. 

And if that doesnt work for you . There is always Diablo 3

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

Yeah I don't get the forced grouping comment about ESO. That has not been my experience, but so it goes.

If you have yet to try LOTRO that may be an option worth considering. You definitely do not have to group and its a very polished game.

I get a little burnt out on MMO's myself from time to time. As a casual player my recent favorites have included Skyrim, Dragon Age: Origins and Divinity Original Sin. I even jump into Kings Road at times when I need purely whimsical game-play.

Hope you find something entertaining.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

He died instantly.

In the words of Grumpy Cat...

"I had fun once... it was awful"

My personal favorite though is... "You're doing it wrong!"

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I agree with two others in this thread. ESO Forced grouping? Are you sure you didn't log into some other game by mistake? ESO is very solo friendly with grouping options for those who prefer that (PVP, group dungeons, world bosses, Craiglorn, etc). That is definitely NOT a common complaint about ESO.

There Is Always Hope!

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

He died instantly.

Seems like Guild Wars 2 is more up your alley. No forced grouping, but there is group content if you ever feel the need. PvP is the most balanced pvp in a MMO, ever, there are no 2 opinions about it. It is a fresh air compared to anything else on the MMO market. Tons of solo content in terms of world exploration and world events and pvp. 

Have fun.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Anyways, now that I got the reactions out of my system....

It's funny the other guy recommended Call of Duty.  I often find myself jumping into Titanfall (same genre).

At least it is mostly fair.

ah titan fall great till you find those laggers or hackers lol. lot of epic moments in that game and a lot of WTF WAS THAT moments as well.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48

I agree with everything you say.  I frequently try to get back into MMOs.  Problem is...they all suck.  So I wait...and wait...and wait.  One day...one day, an mmo will come out that I might play for over a year.  That is all I'm asking.  Keep my interest for a whole year.  EQ did it, vanilla WoW did it.  Those are the only two.  Now EQ is too old to get back into...and WoW sucks big time.

I also love all the Dbags that comment on these forums.  mmorpg forum users are becoming more and more ignorable.  

Good luck fellow MMO dreamer.  I am in the same boat.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

Basic requirement of mmos is serious time investment.  It's no secret mmorpg progress is all about grinding to gain strength. mmorpgs are the wrong gerne if you want fair pvp combat from the getgo. (Well unless you buy maxed accounts but that has it's own pitfalls)

Pi*1337/100 = 42