Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Flexibility of the New Defiance System

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Guild Wars 2 site has been updated with a new post that shows off one of the members of the bestiary to come in the Heart of Thorns expansion, the Wyvern. Attached to the article revealing the Wyvern is the news that the Defiance System will be something wholly new when the expansion arrives.

Defiance will now appear as a bar beneath a monster's name if it utilizes the mechanic. Control abilities will knock some of the strength of the creature's defiance off, though it can and will regenerate over time.  According to the post, coordinated efforts against some of the worst of the game's monsters will be required, as well as the precise timing of those control efforts to continue to bring the bar down before it regenerates.

The post  continues by using a Wyvern's Defiance in battle as an example of how a coordinated effort at controlling the fight will come into play

Lastly, the blog details the creation of the Wyvern and how it was 'brought to life' by the Guild Wars 2 artistic team.

Read the full post on the Guild Wars 2 site and let us know what you think below.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by SBFord

Defiance will now appear as a bar beneath a monster's name if it utilizes the mechanic. Control abilities will knock some of the strength of the creature's defiance off, though it can and will regenerate over time.  According to the post, coordinated efforts against some of the worst of the game's monsters will be required, as well as the precise timing of those control efforts to continue to bring the bar down before it regenerates.

What comes to my mind is the Moa in Dry Top and frankly.. I hate that one.

50 people around him spamming aoe skills - I never know when to use CC cause of all the action going on.

It reminds me of Wildstar. I just hope they will do the defiance better than this.

Harbinger of Fools
  • BarannBarann Member UncommonPosts: 3

It's just simply a reduction by steps is all defiance is going to be in a 'given' time as explained in the post, and when all the defiance is reduced then the 'boss' is killable...nothing to it...a coordinated & experienced group should intrinsically have no real trouble with it as long as they know what to do and when to do it...

Strive to be 1st as all 2nd place is, is the 1st place loser.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    The problem is that all these encounters happen in the open world so there is no experienced group as you can't control a vast majority of the players in zone with you. Well, unless you have a 200+ man guild.

Unfortunately, I have this feeling that it's gonna be like the triple wurm where you have a few massive zerg guilds locking themselves away in their own instances while the rest of us are left to fail over and over again.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    The problem is that all these encounters happen in the open world so there is no experienced group as you can't control a vast majority of the players in zone with you. Well, unless you have a 200+ man guild.

Unfortunately, I have this feeling that it's gonna be like the triple wurm where you have a few massive zerg guilds locking themselves away in their own instances while the rest of us are left to fail over and over again.

Sure that happens sometimes, but you -the individual- have to make an outreach attempt in socializing with the community.   When the Te'Quatl patch happened, sure there were guilds that flailed and failed with small numbers and tons of pugs surrounding them with nothing but 'Zerk mentality about them.  But there were individuals and guilds that stood up and banded together the rest of community in efforts of organization and teamwork, even if they're mostly pugs.   Volunteer VENT channels opened for commands, groups formed with specific raid groups with specific objectives of defense, offense, locations, timing, and so forth.  The open world event brought together a vast majority of the community in an effort to overcome the obstacle that was the giant dead fishdragon.   It was fun!

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Ludwik

Or you could be on gw2communitys team speak for a coordinated group of players

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Dakeru

50 people around him spamming aoe skills - I never know when to use CC cause of all the action going on.

It reminds me of Wildstar. I just hope they will do the defiance better than this.

I always knew when to use CC in that fight. I guess different people have different levels of visual occlusion.

I found the Moa to be a way more fun boss because of his mechanics. The coordination needed to take him did lead a lot of people away though.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

I always knew when to use CC in that fight. I guess different people have different levels of visual occlusion.

I found the Moa to be a way more fun boss because of his mechanics. The coordination needed to take him did lead a lot of people away though.

Then It's clearly my fault for not being able to mentally block the animations of raining fireballs, explosions, swordwhirls and whatever else is caused by 50 people.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Then It's clearly my fault for not being able to mentally block the animations of raining fireballs, explosions, swordwhirls and whatever else is caused by 50 people.

SweetFX.

Originally posted by Leon1e

SweetFX.

Is that your solution? Turn off animations or big fights are meant to fail?

Harbinger of Fools
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I wonder how long this will last when the masses still want to show up, spam auto-attacks until boss dies, get their chest , but can't.

Ahh, but MMORPGs are evolving.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I wonder how long this will last when the masses still want to show up, spam auto-attacks until boss dies, get their chest , but can't.

There are no lack of mega bosses like that. Heck, there may even be mega boss like that in HoT.

I dont really see what youre complaining about. They want to provide variety, and they do. now THATS the bad thing?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The problem is, open world content fosters unorganized zergs and trolls.  It always happens in every MMO when a world-boss isn't instanced.  The new Defiance isn't going to change much either.  
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by observer
    The problem is, open world content fosters unorganized zergs and trolls.  It always happens in every MMO when a world-boss isn't instanced.  The new Defiance isn't going to change much either.  

Open world content have it's advantages and disadvantages but the point of playing a massive online game is to play with others around you. Locking everything behind instances makes the game pretty boring.

And if you just want to play with a small group all of the time there are better games for that kind of gameplay than MMOs. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

There are no lack of mega bosses like that. Heck, there may even be mega boss like that in HoT.

I dont really see what youre complaining about. They want to provide variety, and they do. now THATS the bad thing?

No, not what ANET is doing, What's bad is the player base they cater to isn't going to want to have to put in the effort and when they realize they do, they will complain and ANET will bend.

This is the "Evolution" of the MMORPG.

(reference to the other thread on this site)

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Defiance shouldn't be a thing in the open world at all honestly. This to me is just as bad as their system for stacking conditions. They still have yet to fix that system and some of us aren't hopeful that they'll every fix that either for the multitudes that play in the open world with condition builds. Unless they fix conditions and make defiance not a problem for open world content I don't see this game lasting much longer unless I'm underestimating the stupidity of the playerbase.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

how exactly is this system flexible?

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    At some point, I will get around to checking this out.  I am curious though. 
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Leon1e

SweetFX.

Is that your solution? Turn off animations or big fights are meant to fail?

SweetFX doesn't disable special effects. It improves them

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by observer

Open world content have it's advantages and disadvantages but the point of playing a massive online game is to play with others around you. Locking everything behind instances makes the game pretty boring.

And if you just want to play with a small group all of the time there are better games for that kind of gameplay than MMOs. 

I agree, but in GW2, openworld bosses is practically their only form of end-game content, besides dungeons.  If there were other instanced raid alternatives, it wouldn't matter so much.  This is why it works in WoW, because they offer alternatives to their world bosses.  Before WoW's first raid, there was only world bosses, and there were many griefers and trolls, which made it a messy encounter, such as it is in GW2 currently.