Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Camelot Unchained Meet it's Alpha Deadline Feb 28th or Delayed? AGAIN?

2»

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Marcus-
    Originally posted by will75
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    I don't think it even matters anymore when CU comes out tbh. Everyone's interest in this game has completely vanished.

And yet they just hit 3.1 million in funding ?

I don't give a fuck, they haven't shown one gameplay video and the game was announced 2 years ago.

So they raised 3.1 million, and we haven't heard of any complaints from backers. But you show up, and say it's a scam, because you haven't seen any pre-alpha vids?

k. 

Yes as a potential customer a lack of visible gameplay is a bad way to market your game. So fuck your 1.5 years i'll not give this game another thought.I've seen early stage kickerstarters have more video footage than this game that was backed 2 years ago.My comment actually gives this game relevance now considering the forums are dead.

lol.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Thoughts? What is everyone's opinions on the information we've been given? 

Will crowfall force Mark to put the team on 24/7 call to hit the Alpha deadline?

Did them adding building (not previously expected in Alpha) delay it?

Oh to be a fly on the wall in their meetings when Crowfall was announced.

Crowfall should be worried about Camelot Unchained, not the other way around. I don't care if it is delayed as long as they are making progress. I don't need some rushed piece of crap just because whiners want it now.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I don't think it even matters anymore when CU comes out tbh. Everyone's interest in this game has completely vanished.

I don't give a fuck, they haven't shown one gameplay video and the game was announced 2 years ago.

So they raised 3.1 million, and we haven't heard of any complaints from backers. But you show up, and say it's a scam, because you haven't seen any pre-alpha vids?

k. 

Yes as a potential customer a lack of visible gameplay is a bad way to market your game. So fuck your 1.5 years i'll not give this game another thought.I've seen early stage kickerstarters have more video footage than this game that was backed 2 years ago.My comment actually gives this game relevance now considering the forums are dead.

No one cares if you are a potential customer, people who really care about this game put our money where our mouths are. I respect and have heard your opinion, now go share it somewhere else.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Thoughts? What is everyone's opinions on the information we've been given? 

Will crowfall force Mark to put the team on 24/7 call to hit the Alpha deadline?

Did them adding building (not previously expected in Alpha) delay it?

Oh to be a fly on the wall in their meetings when Crowfall was announced.

As others have said, it would be wise to expect a delay.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that when players are involved in the game dev process (as has been the case often with crowdfunded projects nowadays), it's almost always DELAYED until proven otherwise.

As for Crowfall-- I'm not sure why you would believe it's much of a threat. I always felt that CU is kind of in a league of its own (which may very well end up being a great thing!).

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

My guess. 

2 week delay. 

I don't think the game is in trouble.... but there is a line in the sand somewhere. where/when that line is.... Noone knows. 

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Kyleran

If you were a KS backer you would have been offered an opportunity to actually test the game.

I am one such backer, but the testing is always in the US weekday hours so I'm never available to participate due to the RL day job.

same here.  Never had a chance to participate because of work but there have been multiple public test days for backers.  Their communication has been superb thus far and I don't expect that to change.  Right now they are really the only developers I like.  Can't wait for alpha so I can finally test the game.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Lorgarn

k. 

You talk of marketing as if there is actually a marketing campaign going on right now.

Let me just say this; there is not. It would be very stupid to have a marketing campaign at this point, hell the game isn't even in Alpha yet. You're mad because the game isn't done yet, well, there isn't much anyone of us can say to change your mindset.

Just remember this, game development usually takes time. Kind of known around these parts.

When you are taking peoples money you better have a marketing campaign going and have a better recent record than mark "i ruined warhammer" jacobs.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I am happy you wont be part of the community there.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Well I don't know about anyone else but I am happy you wont be part of the community there.

Its an obvious troll-bait; everyone knows one single person isn't responsible for a game success or lack there of. Especially when we're talking such a big title, with publishers and investors thrown into the mix. There is so much going on behind the scenes that we don't even know about.

Also, no I'm not a fanboy. I never played DaoC nor have I backed CU, I'm just aware that you can't blame one single person for how a game turned out to be.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Mark Jacobs has been very open with what's going on about the game, he makes detailed updates on a regular basis. Unlike many other kickstarted games he invested $2M of his own money into this game. When it comes to stretch goals he mentions exactly how they will use the money, which usually is hiring someone additional to add stuff to the game.

As far as vaporware goes, in july 2014 they did a one hour stream on their one month old alpha build which is available through their website or youtube. It looks awful, but it shows what internal alpha builds looks like. All you will see is ugly characters with ugly animations and few abilities bash at each others.

I will probably get their cheapest pledge once cbt3 draws near, but since that's a year away I just follow this as an outsider. The game still got a lot of development to do before its worth any money.

As far as alpha deadline goes I will paraphrase Mark Jacobs "either we just make it, or its going to be delayed a week or two, I can't say for sure right now"

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98

k. 

so glad that THIS guy is not in my game when it releases :))))

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by gipfeli

k. 

so glad that THIS guy is not in my game when it releases :))))

Definitely a troll.   I know for a fact there is gameplay, but i won't elaborate. I know first hand :P

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

there are gameplay videos from tests on youtube. but they look pretty terrible imo. but they are there.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/media/videos/gameplay/

on there website. looks un-describable.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Some of the comments here are exactly why there aren't more videos yet. They have mainly been working on the behind the scenes tech such as networking, graphics engine, physics, etc.

Unlike certain other KS MMOs, they are building most of the tech from scratch in house so that the game when launched will actually be able to support large numbers of players fighting which most out-of-the-box game engines can't.

It doesn't do them any good to show videos of what gameplay there is right now only to have people trashing it because they don't understand what early point the game is in its development. The upcoming alpha is a real alpha for testing and debugging not the typical marketing playtesting alpha many other games are doing.

There will be plenty of videos and streams when the game gets into later beta stages and gameplay that actually represents how it will play at launch is available to show.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

k. 

That's why I didn't back Camelot unchained because of the lack of an alpha video. Not saying there isn't a functioning game just would have been nice to see an alpha video before giving kickstarter money. I kickstarted crowfall because even early in development they show you gameplay from pre-alpha footage. That's how all kickstarters should be - have the ability to show some type of pre-alpha footage.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• MasitaMasita Member Posts: 10

k. 

1.) Don't forget they built their own engine (to be able to show fluid large scale battles). If a company just buys the existing (shitty) engines, it's probably easy to show some "gameplay" early on.

2.) Alpha will start the coming days.

3.) Probably no one that is really interested in CU wants to hear your ranting.

Originally posted by xion12121

k. 

That's why I didn't back Camelot unchained because of the lack of an alpha video. Not saying there isn't a functioning game just would have been nice to see an alpha video before giving kickstarter money. I kickstarted crowfall because even early in development they show you gameplay from pre-alpha footage. That's how all kickstarters should be - have the ability to show some type of pre-alpha footage.

As it's been said, the lack of videos is because they are working on tech to give the game they promised. If they wanted to just slap crap together on a prebuilt engine eg.. unity etc.. They could of and produced a video with some FX and environmental art. But they didn't.  Patience is a virtue in times like this, the good news people will be beyond hyped when it all comes together, as it has been rapidly doing ahem!~

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by JamesGoblin

You are attaching way too much significance to Crowfall, and especially its supposed impact on CU. Maybe you caught some overHypitis? image I am looking forward to both games, but Crowfall has quite a long way to go.

On alpha deadlines, based on recent info they will either make it according to plan or with some small delay, and good part of backers doesnt seem to have any problems with eventual  minor pushback - especially if it means additional features.

Ya too funny the ONLY hype fr oCrowfal lis on this site,reminds one of the TRION advertsing push here and we all know how well Trion is perceived now a days ,yet EVERYONE was bragging about Trion at one time.

Having said that,No Crowfall is not worth worrying about,imo it is not even a good game,however this game is also receiving no attention anywhere either.Marketing has such a huge impact on gaming now a days.ALL the games are veery weak efforts,barely B rated however marketng gets them the fast profits the ydesire.

Look at WS,a huge marketing push,now  it;s dead.I remember when AION was the next best thing since sliced cheese,nobody cares about that game either.RIFT advertising was all over this site,pushed them to way more players than they expected but of course soon died out as well.

Point is that although i am more than certain Crowfall will be a very average game,it already has the marketing push that Camelot does not.Of course as witnessed by this site ,you can see how the marketing gets yoru game a LOT more notoriety even though nobody else in the gaming world cares about the game.

Personally i wouldn't worry about dead lines at all,i would worry way more about the quality of the game when it comes out.

FACT is this,if a developer makes a definitive time line,they are NOT releasing a good product.You cannot predict a perfect setup to meet a time line,you have to make sure all is cool before releasing anything  to the public.I say this because we all know what a farce testing phases are,in reality they are 95-99% the finished product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

You are attaching way too much significance to Crowfall, and especially its supposed impact on CU. Maybe you caught some overHypitis? image I am looking forward to both games, but Crowfall has quite a long way to go.

On alpha deadlines, based on recent info they will either make it according to plan or with some small delay, and good part of backers doesnt seem to have any problems with eventual  minor pushback - especially if it means additional features.

Ya too funny the ONLY hype fr oCrowfal lis on this site,reminds one of the TRION advertsing push here and we all know how well Trion is perceived now a days ,yet EVERYONE was bragging about Trion at one time.

Having said that,No Crowfall is not worth worrying about,imo it is not even a good game,however this game is also receiving no attention anywhere either.Marketing has such a huge impact on gaming now a days.ALL the games are veery weak efforts,barely B rated however marketng gets them the fast profits the ydesire.

Look at WS,a huge marketing push,now  it;s dead.I remember when AION was the next best thing since sliced cheese,nobody cares about that game either.RIFT advertising was all over this site,pushed them to way more players than they expected but of course soon died out as well.

Point is that although i am more than certain Crowfall will be a very average game,it already has the marketing push that Camelot does not.Of course as witnessed by this site ,you can see how the marketing gets yoru game a LOT more notoriety even though nobody else in the gaming world cares about the game.

i called them out on this today on another crowfall article,, and had the managing editor even post a response lol

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Personally i wouldn't worry about dead lines at all,i would worry way more about the quality of the game when it comes out.

FACT is this,if a developer makes a definitive time line,they are NOT releasing a good product.You cannot predict a perfect setup to meet a time line,you have to make sure all is cool before releasing anything  to the public.I say this because we all know what a farce testing phases are,in reality they are 95-99% the finished product.

Talking about hype, Massively Overpowered is also covering/supporting CU (you can find Mark Jacobs there, chatting with people quite often). On MMORPG´s current Crowfall "obsession" - IIRC Bill Murphy commented here somewhere that Crowfall is simply in such phase, they are very active and producing news & hype they need for Kickstarter. And their Kickstarter certainly IS the news.

On the other side, Mark could come here and tell us something like "sorry guys we will delay alpha" etc, not really a news one would like to shout about from all the rooftops image  Simply, the moment is such. And overall, I see CU as an exact opposite of current over-hype under-deliver trends (I believe that Crowfall is far from that, too). They are honest to their backers, and patiently building for pretty clearly targetted niche audience, the opposite of almost anything we saw launched last couple of years.

W...aaagh?

I would agree with you, Mark seems more supportive to the massively OP website, for whatever reason. Maybe they have a history.I suspect if this site had more activity in comments he'd be here also, but who knows. I would say, until i mentioned CU not getting any news updates, they had not posted any in a very long time. Now since i brought it up, they had 1 yesterday and 1 this morning, from the 2 updates this week. Mark tries to update the community sometimes 2-4x a week. None of those are on this website, at least not recently. They did update as i said yesterday and today.  I will say however... Massively OP does keep posting crowfall updates as they come out, so i wouldn't say they are "supportive" of CU over CF

add to that... with an edit. Massively OP didn't even report on the live stream today, where is mmorpg.com  did. not a very good supporter :P

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

i called them out on this today on another crowfall article,, and had the managing editor even post a response lol

To be fair crowfall is putting out ALOT of news. Especially in a time of year where the MMO world is pretty silent. 

Yes they are making headlines, but CF has been PRing pretty hard over the last few weeks. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it as the sites are just reporting on what goes up..... Just like they do for every game. 

Also I expect the CF news to dry up after the KS campaign ends for a while. 

PS.

BTW I'm a CU fan I just don't think CF or MMORPG deserve the hate being thrown at them..... this time anyway. 

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

Talking about hype, here and two side-effects of MMORPG hyping CF I observed recently :

1) This one is irrelevant, but illustrates human nature, I guess: CU hype - meter is slowly going down, adn CF one is going up for approximately same amount over last couple of weeks. Especially noticeably during last week - probably as a result of CU vs CF holy wars :)

2) This one is bit  more important, and makes me very happy: Checking CU pledge-meter, I noticed that, during last week, it started accelerating SIGNIFICANTLY, daily amounts are suddenly 2-3 times the normal. I don´t believe that overlaping with CF hype peak is accidental.

I´d say that lots of people, during aforementioned holy wars, either remembered or simply discovered CU and decided to open their wallet image

W...aaagh?
This discussion has been closed.