Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming back, what are best classes for PVP?

Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
I'm coming back to the game and I enjoy PVP a lot, what do you recommend are the best classes for PVP? Thanks

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I stopped playing about a month ago and the Mage and Dragon Knight were still considered the most powerful classes in PvP.  The last patch before I left did help stamina classes more, but didn't quite seem to get them there.  The Templar is probably a solid third place.

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Templar has become popular and Dragonknight remains very popular.    Do you run in groups or solo?  What you choose may vary on your PvP style.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The question is too broad to have any kind of simple answer. There are all kinds of builds for all 4 classes that work extremely well in PVP when used by those who know how to use them. There were and still are all kinds of idiots in Cyrodiil that are just free kills for everyone playing fire staff + 1HD & Shield DKs -- alledgedly the best build, because they don't know how to play them.

You're only going to find good builds by pouring over threads in theorycrafting forums and youtube videos looking for something that might fit the way you play and then learning how to play that build.

For example, contrary to popular belief, a stamina based NB werewolf using a 2-HD + bow has been very viable in PVP for many months. The fact that it's going to be even better next week after 1.6 is just gravy.

And 1.6 is a re-balance of massive proportions. A lot of the rationale for builds being good, what skills to use and why and tutorials on how to play them will be outdated as soon as 1.6 hits the live server.

The best place to start is the Tamriel Foundry's theorycrafting forums. Look only at new threads that say 1.6 on the title or older ones that say "updated for 1.6"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Iselin

The question is too broad to have any kind of simple answer. There are all kinds of builds for all 4 classes that work extremely well in PVP when used by those who know how to use them. There were and still are all kinds of idiots in Cyrodiil that are just free kills for everyone playing fire staff + 1HD & Shield DKs -- alledgedly the best build, because they don't know how to play them.

You're only going to find good builds by pouring over threads in theorycrafting forums and youtube videos looking for something that might fit the way you play and then learning how to play that build.

For example, contrary to popular belief, a stamina based NB werewolf using a 2-HD + bow has been very viable in PVP for many months. The fact that it's going to be even better next week after 1.6 is just gravy.

And 1.6 is a re-balance of massive proportions. A lot of the rationale for builds being good, what skills to use and why and tutorials on how to play them will be outdated as soon as 1.6 hits the live server.

The best place to start is the Tamriel Foundry's theorycrafting forums. Look only at new threads that say 1.6 on the title or older ones that say "updated for 1.6"

This is a horrible answer. I think you should log into our accounts and create our characters for us.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

This is a horrible answer. I think you should log into our accounts and create our characters for us.

Sure. Just send me your account name, PW and $20 and I'll set you up image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Maybe his answer wasn't satisfying because he didn't point at any particular build.  But he was correct there is no overpowered class right now its a very balanced game.  You just need to pick something then learn how to play it and you will be fine.  If you don't believe me then just youtube "class" pvp and you will see every class that has the same potential.  There are tons of videos for each class with a 1v6 battle showing what a good player can do.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by filmoret

Maybe his answer wasn't satisfying because he didn't point at any particular build.  But he was correct there is no overpowered class right now its a very balanced game.  

You are both very wrong, and must have not played much or are casuals. DK is the most popular class with all the best guilds for a reason. Most popular class in general in Thornblade. When played right it offers the highest skill ceiling and longest TTK. Sure there are classes that do specific roles better like healing or ganking, but in straight combat no class comes close to DK.

You are both very wrong, and must have not played much or are casuals. DK is the most popular class with all the best guilds for a reason. Most popular class in general in Thornblade. When played right it offers the highest skill ceiling and longest TTK. Sure there are classes that do specific roles better like healing or ganking, but in straight combat no class comes close to DK.

DK does what is suppose to do.  Tank and do damage to people stupid enough to stand next to him.  To a new player the DK looks op but to a seasoned player like I said just look at youtube videos.  You run into any class that is capable of killing 1v6 if the player is good.  So it boils down to the player and the way they have build their class and not that particular class itself.  Proof is in the pudding, show me a vid of your almighty DK killing 1v6 and I'll show you 10 vids of each other class doing the same thing.  This game takes skill and education to succeed. 

The only suggestion I would give to any class is to possibly become a vampire.  They appear to be much stronger then a normal character.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Sketch420

Maybe his answer wasn't satisfying because he didn't point at any particular build.  But he was correct there is no overpowered class right now its a very balanced game.  

DK highest skill cap is laughable honestly. What made them so popular was that any nob could play a DK and above average results.  They were by far the most restrictive calls aswell. GDB, Talons, Wings, Shield assault were requirements for all DKs. Night Blades had the highest skill cap. Great NBs were rare and simply amazing. 

1.6 changes everything DKs have been brought in line after a year. No class burst like an NB in 1.6, but Sorcerers are the top dog 1v1 right now. In part because their shield is not working properly and doing more than it should like preventing procs and kockbacks. Also their mines were buffed to a point were melee'ing them just is not viable. 

We'll see how thing shake out in mass pvp though. Stay tuned.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

DK does what is suppose to do.  Tank and do damage to people stupid enough to stand next to him.  To a new player the DK looks op but to a seasoned player like I said just look at youtube videos.  You run into any class that is capable of killing 1v6 if the player is good.  So it boils down to the player and the way they have build their class and not that particular class itself.  Proof is in the pudding, show me a vid of your almighty DK killing 1v6 and I'll show you 10 vids of each other class doing the same thing.  This game takes skill and education to succeed. 

The only suggestion I would give to any class is to possibly become a vampire.  They appear to be much stronger then a normal character.

Your point about any class being able to 1v6 if the player is good is true, but only because there are so many scrubs that play ESO. Probably 1 in 10 are actually competitive players. If you take a group of 5 top DK players vs 5 top of any class the DK group would win any time. And that is talking about small scale. In large scale fights DK are even more overpowered. Capable of making players switch targets, tank groups of enemies, TTK long enough to survive oil and bat swarms. DK is not only OP 1v1 but even more OP in large fights. 

So yes, you can find videos of any class killing multiple enemies, but in reality it's just proof of how casual and scrubby most ESO pvpers are. 

Ok man you want some proof here it is.  The emperor DK vs a NB.  Notice I said Emperor so he's not a new player by any means.  He also has emperor abilities.  This is just one example of many.  This video was taken in October not much changed since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_teBL8dbe4k

Ok man you want some proof here it is.  The emperor DK vs a NB.  Notice I said Emperor so he's not a new player by any means.  He also has emperor abilities.  This is just one example of many.  This video was taken in October not much changed since then.

Shhh!

DKs are best. There is no one better. Everyone should be a DK :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the best pvp class is the one you play the best and enjoy playing it.

Why people still want to simulate other people's gameplay by requesting the best class/build/etc is beyond me. Be yourself and kick ass with your favorite class. That way you avoid making another post like this one after the current cookie cutter class gets a nerf.

Shhh!

Are you joking? Anyone can get emperor on an empty server like Haderus. No name players, playing on a scrub server is no proof of anything, except you general lack of knowledge about pvp in ESO. 

If you know anything about how top DK's play, you should have noticed right away this guy doesn't know what he's doing. No invasion stun, poor blocking, no pressure, flame lash spam when there is no unstable DOT on. Guy is drunk or has no idea what he's doing.

Shhh!

Are you joking? Anyone can get emperor on an empty server like Haderus. No name players, playing on a scrub server is no proof of anything, except you general lack of knowledge about pvp in ESO. 

If you know anything about how top DK's play, you should have noticed right away this guy doesn't know what he's doing. No invasion stun, poor blocking, no pressure, flame lash spam when there is no unstable DOT on. Guy is drunk or has no idea what he's doing.

So basically you're saying this player doesn't know how to play the fotm DK? I could have sworn I said the same thing in my first post in this thread.

I'm sure no matter what video gets posted you'd have some asinine "yeah but..." because everyone should be a DK... is that your point or do you have something even more stupid than that to say?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Not to change the subject, but I like bacon. 

Yes, this can be on topic. You know patch 1.6 drops next week in ESO. It includes the provisioning revamp. Hope I'll be able to make bacon. 

You  know that no matter what class you play, food buffs play an important role in PvP. 

Still on topic. Bacon

Nightblades like Bacon.  

Originally posted by NomadMorlock

Not to change the subject, but I like bacon. 

Yes, this can be on topic. You know patch 1.6 drops next week in ESO. It includes the provisioning revamp. Hope I'll be able to make bacon. 

You  know that no matter what class you play, food buffs play an important role in PvP. 

Still on topic. Bacon

Nightblades like Bacon.  

Enriched bacon image

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

DK and Sorcerer were the most OP in pvp but after the big patch the game balance will probably be almost completely different. The 1.6 patch is not just a buff here/nerf there, it is a complete re-write of how the game works in terms of abilities, stats, and so forth.

Templar looks like it might have a chance at top dog after the patch unless some skills get toned down, but really the most OP class in ESO is always the one with best gear, level/stats, and consumables. You will rarely have a chance at an "even" fight, but assuming you do face someone with comparable gear etc there is enough skill involved in ESO to turn a fight in your favour if you play to your build strengths.

Probably best to just pick a flavour (fire, electricity, holy, darkness), find a good group of people to play with, and focus on the long, long road to getting powerful enough to pawn the hoards of newer, undergeared, and unorganised players waiting to be culled in Cyrodil.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    What is the most underrated class in PvP that can do wonders in the hands of good player?
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    What is the most underrated class in PvP that can do wonders in the hands of good player?

Night Blade.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Night Blade.

In other words NB is the weakest class right now ;)

Shhh!

So basically you're saying this player doesn't know how to play the fotm DK? I could have sworn I said the same thing in my first post in this thread.

I'm sure no matter what video gets posted you'd have some asinine "yeah but..." because everyone should be a DK... is that your point or do you have something even more stupid than that to say?

I said that any top DK player can take out a top player of any other class. 5 good DK's in a group will win vs 5 of any other class. And in larger groups DK's are even better. You posted a video showing a terrible DK not only in the way his character was built, but the way he played very poorly loosing to a good player.

I don't like that DK's are so overpowered. I don't like that I'm forced to play one to compete with the best. But it is a fact they are completely overpowered.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    next week is 1.6 so talking about 1.5 for pvp is pointless. Templar and Nightblade are the strongest so far in 1.6 for melee stamina builds and templar over all got a huge dps boost. Nightblade also got some nice quality of life changes to the class though some skills are still broken like stealth when using pots etc. Ultimate generation got a overall nerf so that hurts DK pretty large but all stamina builds and enough magicka for green dragon blood can still make melee two handed or s/b DKs strong. Sorc though seems to be in last place and im hoping they really look at all the feedback on PTS and fix them as they are performing very weakly compared to the other three in 1.6. PVP in 1.6 is about damage shields and burst, build for that with any class and you will do fine though Id wait a bit on a sorc to see what direction they take them.
    Originally posted by cronius77
    next week is 1.6 so talking about 1.5 for pvp is pointless. Templar and Nightblade are the strongest so far in 1.6 for melee stamina builds and templar over all got a huge dps boost. Nightblade also got some nice quality of life changes to the class though some skills are still broken like stealth when using pots etc. Ultimate generation got a overall nerf so that hurts DK pretty large but all stamina builds and enough magicka for green dragon blood can still make melee two handed or s/b DKs strong. Sorc though seems to be in last place and im hoping they really look at all the feedback on PTS and fix them as they are performing very weakly compared to the other three in 1.6. PVP in 1.6 is about damage shields and burst, build for that with any class and you will do fine though Id wait a bit on a sorc to see what direction they take them.

I've been in the PTS for several weeks playing there. It's not even about which class is better any more, it's more about which class supports the 2-HD builds best. 

I'm obviously exaggerating some but it's all about 2-HD now. All 5 of the 2-HD skills are useful: You get good AOE damage + damage shield with Brawler, you get a great gap closer + good damage with Critical Rush, awesome uninteruptible damage with Wrecking Blow, a great execute with Executioner and a weapon buff + self heal with Rally... I can't think of any other skill line with a better set of five.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MyNameIsEvbofMyNameIsEvbof Member CommonPosts: 4

The most powerful builds in PvP are the ones that incorporate...

STAYING IN FORMATION

I have an absolutely crappy pvp build. I suck out loud at pvp. I still have tons of fun and rack up good alliance points so long as I group up on crown, don't go chasing lures, keep up with the group as we travel to the next objective, target the call-outs like everyone else and wait for back-up when something is on me that I can't kill (which is everything).

My bar is simple: Cleanse, Ball of Lightning, Retreating Manuevers, Crystal Fragments, Healing Ward

My second bar is the exact same thing except Combat Prayer instead of Healing Ward.

Not frightening at all. But with the right potions I can basically spam Cleanse. And I cast Crystal Fragments even if there isnt a proc, the knock-down is the most deadly cc in the game IMHO if you are in formation. One bad guy gets out of his formation, I knock him down and two or three of my group mates gut them while they lay on the ground.