Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The UI - Has It Won You Over?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the ui for me is all addons now as the minimal ui to me just doesnt work in a mmorpg . I want to have a minimap and stats I can actually read vs lookup on a website or do the math myself.

I can't stand seeing mmorpgs with flying numbers everywhere and a screen full of skills across the bottom anymore. Less UI = more Game world imo.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by rertez

As a GW2 player I'm pretty surprised that a Staff Elementalist is speaking of how GW2 players lack useful rotations in comparison to ESO. Just some of the basics that are useful in situations we see on the screenshot above:

F4+2+F1+2 = 4 stacks of Might on surrounding players

F4+2+F2+4 = Frost Aura

F4+2+F2+3 or 5 = Regeneration

Also you have the option to use alternate blast finishers (in case you have F4 on cooldown) in the above example rotations with the Evasive Arcana Trait as you dodge roll and blast into fields while also debuffing and bombing a specific area besides the beneficial effects. You can have a lot of dodge rolls with various Ele builds.

Freecasting from a wall in Fire Attunement while all the other more useful Attunements are up is just not a smart move regardless of you're squishy or not since you can't benefit from buffs and condi removals while you're away from the others. I assume it was for the sake of making a screenshot though. But still you can bomb your commander tag to support the front line.

Also *Food Reminder* ;)

Just turn off enemy and friendly player name plates in the options menu and feel free to not see weak points of the enemy team while fighting against zergs. It's just not a good idea to do so but still it's optional.

Yeh I thought the comment of:

"Guild Wars 2 hosts a limited action bar, but it doesn’t come close to the way ESO implemented it. ESO has so many more options available to the player that the amounts of combinations and rotations that can be created are tenfold in comparison to Guild Wars 2."

was kind of out of touch and laced with to much emotional attachment to the game he is currently playing to realize how silly that sounds.

I would love to see someone counter what you said by actually explaining what Ryan means about ESO having more options.  I think they will be stumped when they try.

Rodigo you have to agree there are many more options for skill set up than in GW2.

I did some math just for you. 

A GW2 warrior was access to a total of 107 weapon and utility skills (+or-2 due to my counting skillz) plus 80 different traits for a total of 187 different skills/passives.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_skills

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_traits

An ESO DK has access to 60 weapon skills and passives, 30 class skills and passives, 26 world skills, 20 alliance war skills, 18 armor skills, 30 guild skills, and 4 racial skills for a total of 188 different skills/passives.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Dragonknight+Skills

I guess with 1 more skill technically you are right, but "tenfold" like Ryan says?  The only difference is that a GW2 player has a harder choice on which two weapons/duel wield to use due to the dedication of the first 5 slots.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Micro_CutsMicro_Cuts Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Salute
    I really hate the UI...

This!!!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Rodigo you have to agree there are many more options for skill set up than in GW2.

A GW2 warrior was access to a total of 107 weapon and utility skills (+or-2 due to my counting skillz) plus 80 different traits for a total of 187 different skills.

An ESO DK has access to 60 weapon skills and passives, 30 class skills and passives, 26 world skills, 20 alliance war skills, 18 armor skills, 30 guild skills, and 4 racial skills for a total of 188 different skills.

I guess with 1 more skill technically you are right, but "tenfold" like Ryan says?  The only difference is that a GW2 has a harder choice on which two weapons/duel wield to use due to the dedication of the first 5 slots.

You have some funny math going on looking at you links... Double press equals new skill? Anyways what Ryan is speaking of is combinations of skills. You can combine those 188 different skills anyway you want in ESO. 10 fold might not be a stretch man. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the ui for me is all addons now as the minimal ui to me just doesnt work in a mmorpg . I want to have a minimap and stats I can actually read vs lookup on a website or do the math myself.

I can't stand seeing mmorpgs with flying numbers everywhere and a screen full of skills across the bottom anymore. Less UI = more Game world imo.

the only thing i keep on my screen is the minimap addon and the plates from ftc combat . I run skyshards lorebooks provisioner(though its going to be changed now) soft cap info and the inventory one grid view with the advanced filters. I do not like a lot of UI either but running in ESO with a minimap outweighs the amount of time it takes to do objectives or get turned all around. The inventory system is absolutely the worst I have ever played in a mmorpg but then again I thought skyrims was horrible also so I used addons for that also. I just want basic info available instead of having to look up stuff or do the math myself. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

A GW2 warrior was access to a total of 107 weapon and utility skills (+or-2 due to my counting skillz) plus 80 different traits for a total of 187 different skills.

An ESO DK has access to 60 weapon skills and passives, 30 class skills and passives, 26 world skills, 20 alliance war skills, 18 armor skills, 30 guild skills, and 4 racial skills for a total of 188 different skills.

I guess with 1 more skill technically you are right, but "tenfold" like Ryan says?  The only difference is that a GW2 has a harder choice on which two weapons/duel wield to use due to the dedication of the first 5 slots.

You have some funny math going on looking at you links... Double press equals new skill? Anyways what Ryan is speaking of is combinations of skills. You can combine those 188 different skills anyway you want in ESO. 10 fold might not be a stretch man. 

Not quite.  You can't mix and match passives in ESO.  For example, restorative staff passives don't work with daggers and  medium armor passives don't work with light armor, etc.  That's more restrictive than some want to believe.

Also, which warrior skill are you refering to as double press?  I didn't count the chains if that's what you are refering to.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    HATE it! Very "consoley".
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Meh, I don't mind it

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Yeah, putting bow skills on your hotbar while wielding greatsword is just AWESOMESAUCE!

putting magika skills on your hotbar while youre stamina build wielding resto staff is PRO!

Im more interested in actually VIABLE combintaions, and on top of THAT, COMPETITIVE combinations.

tenfold. sure, sure.

Also you can switch traits in GW2. So even by your logic its nowhere near tenfold. More like samey.

Actually now i want mathematical proof of what author said, to exactly see how he calculated "tenfold"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Other than the potion wheel (which I hate) it's a great UI.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Yeah, putting bow skills on your hotbar while wielding greatsword is just AWESOMESAUCE!

putting magika skills on your hotbar while youre stamina build wielding resto staff is PRO!

Im more interested in actually VIABLE combintaions, and on top of THAT, COMPETITIVE combinations.

tenfold. sure, sure.

Also you can switch traits in GW2. So even by your logic its nowhere near tenfold. More like samey.

Actually now i want mathematical proof of what author said, to exactly see how he calculated "tenfold"

There are passives across weapons and guilds that would work well with each other. I think it's not allowed for easier balancing. It is restricting though. I didn't really agree with the author that GW2 is more restrictive and confined than ESO.

I find Neverwinter to be much more restrictive by comparison to both those games. However, Neverwinter is still a really fun game that allows room for different play styles.

i know, its the same thing with GW1. Ability to "put any combination of skills on your hotbar" is meaningless.

if the result of restrictive system and "put any" system result in samish number of viable builds, restrictive system is in great advantage - balancing. ANet clearly said why they did what they did AND they DID have nice amount of experience with GW1 and its system.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230

Not quite.  You can't mix and match passives in ESO.  For example, restorative staff passives don't work with daggers and  medium armor passives don't work with light armor, etc.  That's more restrictive than some want to believe.

Also, which warrior skill are you refering to as double press?  I didn't count the chains if that's what you are refering to.

You both forgot about specific active Sigils and Runes that add situational use to your builds in GW2 but apart from that let me highlight an example of multi purpose skills in GW2 to show that the possible rotations are not as limited as the author beleives.

Let's take a utility skill called Armor of Earth that gives Eles

- 6s Stability

- 6s Protection

- Breaks Stun

The above are default effects of that specific Cantrip. Should you need any of them just press a single keybind.

Let's top that skill with further effects while we reduce its cooldown by 20%.

Then it would result the following things as well:

- Cantrips Grant Regeneration + Vigor

- When you grant Regeneration you remove a Condition

Let's say you're in a situation where you have a single Poison Condition on your Ele with low HP and you need to pop Water and/or a Heal skill but the Poison would make it kind of ineffective.

You can pop Armor of Earth first and since you got rid of Poison (Regen = Condition removal) you can continue healing yourself at a normal rate. In addition to that you have a Regen already ticking on you (Cantrip proc) and you are immune to CCs since Stability is up on you as well. If you can enter Water Attunement then you are free (Vigor granted from Cantrip + Sigil of Energy procs at Attunement swap) to do an extra dodge roll that grants a spash heal thank to Evasive Arcana Trait. Since it's an instant cast Cantrip you can even cast it while casting or channeling any other skills so that popping it won't interrupt any of your skills being cast.

Or do you just need to break out of a stun? Pop the same skill you used befor cleansing and healing yourself.

Also Armor of Earth can proc with the same effects with an internal cooldown at 50% HP if your build has Earth Magic trait III (Earth's Embrace).

That is an example of the functionality of a single skill/keybind that can have different situational benefits and it also has great synergy with a lot of play styles and builds. Even aggressive builds need to be unstoppable while landing a burst rotation right? Pop it for Stability and Protection then before applying perssure on your enemies.

As far as I know from my experience and from community websites GW2 and ESO both have roughly the same amount of viable PVP build variations regardless of how different major combat mechanics and skill systems are.

Anyone could do the math but the number of practically useful PvP builds are limited in both games. They are just both offering enough variations to make PvP combat really enjoyable. I still perefer GW2 though. Just because of the great community and the combat system alone.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I hate,hate ,hate did I mention how much I hate the quick slot wheel.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Entris38

ESO's UI is perfect the way it is, for me. I hate clutter. The UI is very clean.....

same here. People who want to cover their screen with information and have little space to actually see the game itself can use addons.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    My only gripe is being forced to use my mouse to direct my toon. Ever since EQ I have used my left hand for movement and right hand on the numpad to control action. I still haven't gotten used to it completely, this old dog learning new tricks has played itself out.  

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• InfiniteStrifeInfiniteStrife Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by saker
    HATE it! Very "consoley".

Yup. ESO was trash when the developer decided to make the game x platform and thats why ill never pay for anything in that game.

As long as consoles use sub par hardware and bad gameplay controllers all games that are shooters and so called "MMOs" are a joke.

I simply cant take consoles seriously...everything besides party small-time-fun/weed gaming and messing around with stupid coop games, consoles are okish...but ill never ever invest in one as long as I have my PC.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    no.... i pretty much still hate the UI.
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by Entris38

ESO's UI is perfect the way it is, for me. I hate clutter. The UI is very clean.....

same here. People who want to cover their screen with information and have little space to actually see the game itself can use addons.

Fuuny, you say that for a game that litteraly takes you out of the gameworld when you open single menu. Thats the ultimate clutter.

UI is more that "clutter" on the screen. menues, inventory, guild store/trader, research grid, actual stats without need to calculate those by hand... ... ...

Even *gasp* nameplates that you CAN turn off in other games if you prefer it that way, so random people dont attack me in delves and open world any more heh

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    It's an Elder Scrolls UI...

THAT is exactly the core of the problem. Bethesda made ESO the way they made single player games, and then added multiplayer content to a single player system. When you are alone, you have all the leisure of the world, you do stuff at your pace. But when you play alongside others in a world with thousands of people, you need a whole different level of organization and information. It just doesn't work the same way, only if you just play solo all the time, oblivious of most multiplayer aspects.

One of the downright WORST features of the ESO UI is the inventory. Who in the name of the nine netherhells thought, sorting inventory stuff in a MMO in a list sorted by name is good!? Boxes allow SO much quicker sorting your stuff to your own systematic. But oh no, things should not have looked like a MMO, oh no. So the horrible scroll down list inventory was added. *shudder*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Badspock -  better do some research,  eso b2p is actually terrible,  it's b2p with cash shop,  it might as well have been f2p. Console people are going to play without doing their homework and find out the hard way,  it's going to be hilarious.  This one is going to burn the console crowd so hard,  I  think it's going to drive consumers further away long term.  As far as the ui it's ok,  but in mmorpgs it helps the social atmosphere to have names,  playing solo though it's nice.  

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by this assessment. What I've seen is that for the box price you get everything the game has to offer at this moment. Which to me seems a reasonable amount of content. And I'm not sure why console players would be upset with a cash shop and having to purchase future DLC content as that has been standard operating procedure for many console games for some time now.

As to the game UI. Unless its changed majorly since beta, I felt it was one of the better game features.

It's an mmo. You don't buy patches in MMos, you buy expansion packs. He's not buying a single player game where there's no longer any expectation that content patches will be added, he's buying an mmo where that expectation does exist. Except in this case, he's not getting it. 

I love the UI in this game. I like watching the game rather than action bars or minimaps. It was a shock to see at first but I quickly grew to prefer it over the cluttered screen approach.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Badspock -  better do some research,  eso b2p is actually terrible,  it's b2p with cash shop,  it might as well have been f2p. Console people are going to play without doing their homework and find out the hard way,  it's going to be hilarious.  This one is going to burn the console crowd so hard,  I  think it's going to drive consumers further away long term.  As far as the ui it's ok,  but in mmorpgs it helps the social atmosphere to have names,  playing solo though it's nice.  

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by this assessment. What I've seen is that for the box price you get everything the game has to offer at this moment. Which to me seems a reasonable amount of content. And I'm not sure why console players would be upset with a cash shop and having to purchase future DLC content as that has been standard operating procedure for many console games for some time now.

As to the game UI. Unless its changed majorly since beta, I felt it was one of the better game features.

It's an mmo. You don't buy patches in MMos, you buy expansion packs. He's not buying a single player game where there's no longer any expectation that content patches will be added, he's buying an mmo where that expectation does exist. Except in this case, he's not getting it. 

I love the UI in this game. I like watching the game rather than action bars or minimaps. It was a shock to see at first but I quickly grew to prefer it over the cluttered screen approach.

No sorry you got it all upside down. If the window in ESO gets cluttered, it is exactly BECAUSE Bethesda did not make a regular MMO UI. A normal MMO UI, like say from EQ2, would allow total customization from the get go. You could move stuff around, resize it all individually, make it transparent asf. But with the ESO UI, since they rely on unofficial mods, the UI is a clusterfuck, unless you really make everything invisible.

Most normal UIs can be configured to look as minimal as ESO. You can do that with GW2 even. But you can't do it reverse with ESO. If you try to make ESO UI look like a standard MMO UI, it looks like a clusterfuck all over. Hence the ESO UI is inferior, because it is entirely inflexible.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The game is awesome the ui is awesome.  You can turn on nameplates BTW.   BTW you can download addons to change the UI.  If you don't like the UI then build one with the addon builder tool.  It allows for skilled combat instead of tab target that we have all put up with for over 10 years.  Too many people want to have another diablo 2 style control system and well that's old and just plain sucks.  Lots of people hate the potion wheel but I have yet to see 1 viable alternative.  Haters gonna Hate.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    You get used to the UI . I didn't like it at first either but after a few days I found my way around it . 
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

No name plates, ever, not even the option for players because if they do this will force people to turn them on to be competitive vs those that do not use name plates because name plates give the user a clear advantage pvp in seeing the enemy player first.

Im not to thrilled about addons that give you the option to see player health, buffs and resources because now its a must have if you want to be on par with those that use it

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by sketocafe

No sorry you got it all upside down. If the window in ESO gets cluttered, it is exactly BECAUSE Bethesda did not make a regular MMO UI. A normal MMO UI, like say from EQ2, would allow total customization from the get go. You could move stuff around, resize it all individually, make it transparent asf. But with the ESO UI, since they rely on unofficial mods, the UI is a clusterfuck, unless you really make everything invisible.

Most normal UIs can be configured to look as minimal as ESO. You can do that with GW2 even. But you can't do it reverse with ESO. If you try to make ESO UI look like a standard MMO UI, it looks like a clusterfuck all over. Hence the ESO UI is inferior, because it is entirely inflexible.

Then it's fortunate the ui is exactly what I want and I don't want to try to turn it into all of that other shit.