Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the Game Shut Down in 2017?

Ok, so I've come back to the game after a few years and am thoroughly enjoying it. The thing is, in world chat the other day I saw that people were mentioning Turbine only had the rights to the Lord of the Rings name up until 2017 and that they might not extend it - meaning this game might only last another 2 years.

This would be a great shame as it's the one and only MMORPG that I'm prepared to sink hours into. Are there any well-informed people out there who could shed light on this matter? I really don't want to invest hours into the game if it closes in two years as I intend to play this on and off for a very long time.

Comments

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Without any inside information no one can tell you if Turbine is in mood to renew the license or that they would be even allowed to renew it.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If you consider the perils in the world today, we might not be here in two years. Enjoy playing LOTRO and don't worry if it will be here. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Wish I had info for you but this is a risk with any MMO renting a IP. Playing any MMO for 2 years is still a good chunk of time. If your having fun, I would keep playing. You cant put a price tag on fun. You are better off then many who are still looking waiting for MMOs to come out so they can start having fun again.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by mrneurosis
    Without any inside information no one can tell you if Turbine is in mood to renew the license or that they would be even allowed to renew it.

"Turbine's PR company states that they have extended their license agreements with Tolkien Enterprises for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit until 2014, with the rights to claim them all the way up to 2017 if they so choose."

Source.

This means that Turbine is still on it's original (2008) license and that Turbine has claimed the rights for an other 3 years after they ended in 2014. This would raise questions if/why Tolkien Enterprises didn't renew the license in 2014 for an other period.

I personally think that Tolkien Enterprises didn't renew the license after the (bad) turn the story in LotRo made and getting out of sync with the actual lore. With WB now being done with all the Tolkien movies (Lord of the Rings & Hobbit trilogies), there's no real need for Tolkien Enterprises to let WB/Turbine stick to the license to keep LotRo going...

• MagicMushMagicMush Member Posts: 65

On a personal level, I stopped playing when it went from Codemasters to Turbine and thought I'd lost all lifetime subscription privileges. Thankfully, I downloaded the game through Steam, entered my old username and password and was thrilled to see my account stil live and my four Level 42 characters back again!

While getting back into the world of Middle Earth again, I have to say that this is by far the best MMORPG that I've ever played. Everything about it has class, no other comes close and I really don't want to go play any other. The game will hopefully keep me occupied for years - but if it's going to stop in two years from now then it will be a very sad day indeed.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by MagicMush

On a personal level, I stopped playing when it went from Codemasters to Turbine and thought I'd lost all lifetime subscription privileges. Thankfully, I downloaded the game through Steam, entered my old username and password and was thrilled to see my account stil live and my four Level 42 characters back again!

While getting back into the world of Middle Earth again, I have to say that this is by far the best MMORPG that I've ever played. Everything about it has class, no other comes close and I really don't want to go play any other. The game will hopefully keep me occupied for years - but if it's going to stop in two years from now then it will be a very sad day indeed.

CM did inform everyone very well about the transition toTurbine. That included the life-time account (have one as well). I'm glad to hear that when you logged on from Steam your old account was still there. I had different experiences with DDO (no lifetime, but did have a couple of months of playtime back then).

LotRo WAS a good game. Though the world with all it's lore and pretty active story itself is still good, what has become of LotRo after Mines of Moria and Freemium is just utter garbage. Each and every character I've made and played didn't survive after passing through Moria.

Also, keep in mind that 2017 is the 10-year mark of the game's release. Either they'll have huge festivities then OR it'll die (I hope for the players that it's the first one).

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Worry about 2017 in 2017. UNtil then, enjoy the gameimage, and quit in a couple months when you're bored.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

As others said, who knows where will we be in 2017? You need to worry only when we get there, but still plenty of time till then :)

Eu servers will coming back to Amsterdam this year, meaning a better connection and less ping. Not to mention, the welcome back weekend is switched on right now, probably for your welcome (but can't say that for sure image).

There were many changes since you left, have fun discovering the game again, and welcome back. "The game will hopefully keep me occupied for years" it surely will, at least 2-3 more years.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

Player numbers are still high (remember it has 29 servers currently). New people are joining every day, the recommended server is always busy. There are plans for lots of content this year. I think the consolidation will help the game a lot in the long run.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The only reason it hasn't shut down long ago is because it has "Lord of the Rings" in it's name. Just like SWTOR it's worse then WoW in every conceivable way.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    The only reason it hasn't shut down long ago is because it has "Lord of the Rings" in it's name. Just like SWTOR it's worse then WoW in every conceivable way.

Er, ok.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by mrneurosis

"Turbine's PR company states that they have extended their license agreements with Tolkien Enterprises for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit until 2014, with the rights to claim them all the way up to 2017 if they so choose."

Source.

This means that Turbine is still on it's original (2008) license and that Turbine has claimed the rights for an other 3 years after they ended in 2014. This would raise questions if/why Tolkien Enterprises didn't renew the license in 2014 for an other period.

I personally think that Tolkien Enterprises didn't renew the license after the (bad) turn the story in LotRo made and getting out of sync with the actual lore. With WB now being done with all the Tolkien movies (Lord of the Rings & Hobbit trilogies), there's no real need for Tolkien Enterprises to let WB/Turbine stick to the license to keep LotRo going...

IMO Middle Earth Enterprises (formerly Tolkien Enterprises), a.k.a. the Saul Zaentz Corporation care less about the lore than the long-term profitability of The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings as a brand; these are the people who let one of their licensees run virtual gambling slot machines purportedly based on a book by a Roman Catholic moralist with a fairly unsubtle text about the corrupting and destructive effect of the desire for wealth. So basically, whether or not the license gets renewed is dependent on whether or not Turbine / Warner think the game is going to be sufficiently profitable long-term to be prepared to pay SZC whatever they're asking.

• IRandomIRandom Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I agree and also sincerely hope it'll shut down as soon as possible. There needs to be a better MMORPG based on LOTR universe, with more modern graphics engine, better character animations, better "custom music" system, better pet system, better "mounted combat" system, better housing system, better crafting system, more frequent content releases, etc. Including better "endgame" activities - SOMETHING fun to occupy yourself with and give you reason to log in after you're done with all current PvE content and leveling each alt to the max, something like non-consensual non-instanced "world PvP" system with proper penalties, on dedicated servers (even if it's "against the lore") or something like non-instanced developer-controlled (as in, the actual developer would be in control of the "monster") "invasions" by some "monster" or more creative annual "festivals" with unique cosmetic rewards (something other than a "tablecloth for a horse") and more challenging, constantly changing activities, also with active developer participation. And it's obvious that the very few remaining people at Turbine have no capability of "restarting" and supporting such better version of the LOTR MMORPG, so it's better for them to shut down the current game and let some other developer to re-use the LOTR license for that.
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I'm sorry for the people still enjoying this game, and I'm in no way blaming them for doing so, but I, personally, as a long time Tolkien fan who read the books when he was in his early teens (I'm 46 now), I really, REALLY hope this game will be shut down.

Why?

Very simple: to leave the market open for a better Middle Earth based MMORPG.

Turbine don't deserve such a fantastic franchise, they completely screwed it.

Shadow of Mordor (single player game) seems to be enjoying some success. I'm not sure what a new Middle Earth based MMORPG would look like, but I believe it could be done. There certainly seems to be enough interest out there.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    My concern is that no one else will be allowed even start developing a LOTR MMO before 2017.  So even if the horrid LOTRO shuts down it could be 5+ years after that before another appears.
  • fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by flizzer
    If you consider the perils in the world today, we might not be here in two years. Enjoy playing LOTRO and don't worry if it will be here. 

I'm going to have to agree with fizzer on this one.  I think the game company is going to say f frodo and throw him in the mountain instead of the ring.   Its all cause of what they did to classes a while back.

in Rise of Isenguard they changed the classes from unique to stat based.  meaning every class now was stat based purely and it dint matter what you could do for utility.     So you seen buglars dps go right through the roof, and champions, reguardless of the old setup system.    they had to come back and change the dps some of the classes do cause it was right over the top.  All the classes got to keep the utilities they had before which was the justification of some classes doing more dps then others in the old system.   The new system put everyones dps on a level playing  ground with stats, but they did not add utility or uniqueness to other classes to make up for the imbalance.

Think of it this way, Frodo was the only one to make it to the mountain to throw the ring in, all the other fellowship (in this case customers) were lost on his journey there.  image

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Ok, so I've come back to the game after a few years and am thoroughly enjoying it. The thing is, in world chat the other day I saw that people were mentioning Turbine only had the rights to the Lord of the Rings name up until 2017 and that they might not extend it

here we go again

Could Lord of the Rings Online end in 2014?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/04/the-road-to-mordor-could-lord-of-the-rings-online-end-in-2014/

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    My concern is that no one else will be allowed even start developing a LOTR MMO before 2017.  So even if the horrid LOTRO shuts down it could be 5+ years after that before another appears.

I don't think that is necessarily true.  A fantasy MMO can start into development with a name such as "Project X" with the anticipation of getting the Tolkien license needed to slap the "Middle Earth", "Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit" name on it once 2017 rolls around.  It's entirely possible for WB to have another developer already lined up doing concept and proof of concept work on a fantasy title without breaking any licensing or copyright laws.  Besides, I think Peter Jackson's Middle Earth look is already ingrained in most people's minds by now, so to have more games share the same aesthetic could potentially sell well as opposed to Turbine's wonky character style and animations.  That's partially because Lotro was made before Turbine was acquired by WB and partially because it seems Turbine's art department is lacking in talent in a lot of areas.  They do have good environmental artists though. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

There does seem to be a newly found(since early last year-ish) urgency in development to finish up the books.  It seems they are moving full steam ahead toward Mordor(Minas Tirith is coming this year), whereas in previous years they were branching off into other directions(Evendim, Forochel, Mirkwood, the Dale/Erebor instances, etc).

Server populations have been declining, at least on some of them.  The server unlock system they put together for Dol Amroth a few months back(players contributed stuff to unlock instances) made that painfully obvious; Firefoot didn't unlock the instances until about 2-3 weeks before the next update.  I bet Turbine won't make that mistake, again.

I rolled my Beorning on Brandywine, and I'm sure glad I did.  Much healthier pop.

Anyhoo, back to the point.  My technical answer to the question is no.  The license thing is nothing.  I don't think 2017 was chosen with the idea that that's about when they'll close their doors, nor do I think the IP has any plans to terminate it at that point.

BUT, the idea that it might close up thanks to good old fashioned pop-drop isn't a far fetched one.  It seems like LotRO was stable for a good long time, up until the last Xpac.  Not that it was a bad one, IMO, but it really seems like that's when Firefoot started its decline into a very lonely place.

Personally, it felt like we were in Dunland/Rohan for about a year too long.

Finally, just a message for anybody wishing LotRO would go away so another company will pick up the license:  If that DID happen, I suspect that the new game would be even less like what you want.  I assume(maybe wrongly) that you probably want a massive open world, rich in Tolkien lore... and/or maybe what they pipe-dreamed MEO was going to be.  And that there might be open world PvP, even less emphasis on magic, etc, etc...

Don't count on it.  If you think a newer game will be more like EQ/Ultima and less like Neverwinter, you're probably gonna be disappointed.