Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why Cheat?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

People cheat. That fact is nothing new and just about everyone does it at some point in their life. Don’t believe me? Just ask the IRS. I don’t foresee by bringing up the topic of cheating in my column that I’ll be able to change anything. I don't imagine it will even prevent one of you from cheating in the future. I do, however, believe it is a dialogue worth having and hope you’ll humor me for a few minutes. I’m interested in your input.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Why Cheat?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Existance of cheating in any kind of multiplayer games or competition between  people is whole reason why even Cash Shops function as a concept - they allow people to buy cheats for $.
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Easy

I want become better that you 

I want feel strong and powerfull against everyone 

I wish become GOD and play with Mortal Souls/people

And others things 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

I suppose the day serial killers have remorse will be the day that cheaters will too.

And before you all say it's not the same thing... the concept is... you have to feel you have done something wrong in order to feel remorse.  If you don't feel remorse, you obviously haven't done anything wrong.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Nice try OP. I really mean that. But you can't fix a failed education on the internet.

There will always be cheaters. My personal observation is that the percentage of cheating players  even is increasing over time. And cheating is also accepted by a wider audience than years ago. But I can't proof that of course.

Sad part is that we could have much better games without cheaters. So many resources get wasted for counter measures and so many features even will never see the light of day because of them.

But they don't care. Cheaters just care for themselves.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I don't cheat ever and thats why i quit multiplayer games and only play solo games these days.

So many games ruined by cheaters in my case Darkfall (Darkfall almost 90%+ cheated in that game) and game failed because of it.

Sick and tired of cheaters.

Ive sind's play games online 1999(ac1 also cheaters) not spent 1 euro cent in cash shop not spent 1 euro cent on getting advantage.

Now i boycot almost all games concerning multiplayer. Which make ne sad because i love MMO'S.

And because majority cheat don't mean i cheat i rather quit gaming comepletely then lower myself you there standards.

But luckly solo games i dont have to deal with losers.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Everyone cheats and lies just to different degrees. Most think nothing of cheating in a game. I have even heard the most honest person I know get upset when they missed an exploit in a game. 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    In single player games I usually play through the game first then when I play it again I'll use cheats and look up things for fun.  In multiplayer, the only cheats I use are my awesome computer and internet connection :)
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Some people can only have fun if they're "winning" and some of those people also happen to be terrible at whatever it is they want to win at. So they cheat because it's the only way they're capable of competing against those who practice and win through skill.

Then there's those who excel at whatever game they're playing, but they still want to win at all costs, even if the cost is them being banned.

Why did Lance Armstrong cheat? I'm sure he was/is an excellent athlete who trained his butt off, but he still cheated. When winning is everything to a person, they justify pretty much anything to accomplish their goal.

I personally find these people sad and pathetic. They cheat and lie to everyone else, but worst of all, they lie to themselves. There's never any dignity in cheating, it negates all your efforts and any victories you may have had are all hollow.

Have some self respect. Don't cheat.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

I absolutely abhor people who cheat and I wouldn't use a bot system myself. 

However, with the new string of tendencies for the developers to add extreme grinds to the game it's only natural to see an increase in these types of things because adding grind is never a good idea. Neither is adding a pay to progress model in which some form of currency is used to make it take even longer or have the "option" to pay.

I don't blame those people who use bots to get past these pay to progress models I really don't because it's one thing to use it to cheat just because you feel you can and you find it fun in a sick fashion, it's another to use it to get past a draconian billing model. People don't need to pay to play the game anymore than people need to cheat to play a game, pay to progress models are cheating imo and should be eradicated entirely.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Atm I am exposing some guy on Gw2 who has been acting as a girl asking for donations to finish the legendary since "only a few more items are missing <3 " and from what people told me he has been doing this for at least 2 months on a 200AP account.

Additionally I am keeping an eye on the new kind of bots which teleport from node to node and stay below the surface so they can't be agroed.

The guy and the bots who grow aware of me are threatening me and keep calling me a White Knight but just to make this clear:

They will not stop cheating and I will not stop reporting them. Every single account that I get banned is a personal victory for me.

Harbinger of Fools
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Sulaa
    Existance of cheating in any kind of multiplayer games or competition between  people is whole reason why even Cash Shops function as a concept - they allow people to buy cheats for $.

This goes beyond just games.

People cheat to get ahead in business

People cheat to get a head in both recreational and professional sports.

It comes down to Human Nature...

Why Cheat? Because you can!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I never understood people who cheat in games. To me they must really be bad players. It actually makes me wonder why those people even consider playing games if they are just bad at playing them...or some people even find all sorts of excuses to cheat.

I play games for the challenge they give me and I have something called gamers pride.

But I do not believe cheating will ever stop. No matter what counter measures are taken. It can be slowed down but that's about it.

Originally posted by Wighty

Bingo, even the most honest person has cheated or lied at some point. Even people outraged at cheaters at some point cheated. Killed a bugged NPC for EXP, found an exploit and used it at lest once, crafted a green item that gave back skill like crafting an orange so made a stack or two. Heck even took a cookie when mom said no snacks before dinner. If we think we can get away with it, the more likely we are willing to try. Thats why people loot stores when riots are going on. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    The only time I cheated was when a friend sent me godmode codes in Oblivion. Unfortunately, I couldn't unsee what I learned and within a week was bored and stopped playing. Fantastic lesson.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I haven't cheated that I can recall but a reason may be you just don't have the time to do what is needed to get what you want. I didn't actually read the article so if this is mentioned or sounds out of context, I apologize.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"Can you really even derive satisfaction from knowing you cheated online in a game that really doesn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things?"

Yes, the same people who get their jollies from vandalism, serial griefing or annoying others do get satisfaction from cheating.

Why would anyone who has driven in rush hour and seen people almost come to blows over one car length be surprised that people cheat in online competitive games?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Everyone cheats and lies just to different degrees. Most think nothing of cheating in a game. I have even heard the most honest person I know get upset when they missed an exploit in a game. 

Hardly. What would be the point of cheating in a game?

I play games to challenge myself and cheating will take away any fun from beating something hard, particularly whn I defeat another player who have the odds in his/her favor.

It is simple: people who suck and have no intention of trying to better themselves cheat.

Of course in a singleplayer game you can do anything you want but I still don't see any point of cheating there either. And considering how simple MMOs are today you must suck really hard to need to cheat.

Originally posted by Loke666

Hardly. What would be the point of cheating in a game?

I play games to challenge myself and cheating will take away any fun from beating something hard, particularly whn I defeat another player who have the odds in his/her favor.

It is simple: people who suck and have no intention of trying to better themselves cheat.

Of course in a singleplayer game you can do anything you want but I still don't see any point of cheating there either. And considering how simple MMOs are today you must suck really hard to need to cheat.

So not even once you saw a bugged NPC, or even with messed up pathing and killed it for EXP or loot? Come on now, be honest.

EDIT: Other small cheats, 3rd part macros like a Naga mouse or gaming keyboard. 

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Robert: I play mmorpgs for exactly 17y. Before Daoc i was playing SC1. Even in SC1 there were ppl playing with maphacks but not on internet cafe/lan cafe where i was playing vs friends. 

I've started to play Daoc on release and for 3 years it was the best game ever. I even played on Mordred (FFA server) with asian guild. It was an amazing experience. Then ive moved to FFXI and played for 1 year best PvE ever. I've became 1st max lvl Samurai on NA/Bismarck server.Then WoW was launched and i;ve became the 1st player who achieved max lvl in my country. After few runs on Scholomance i've quit the game since i predict that the game will be a pixel hunt (gear farm), brainless, since in my oppinion, 12-16 ppl vs 1 Boss is nothing heroic and its brainless because after you learn the mechanic of the game, you can repeat it. So far, in most of the games i've tried to be competitive. During the years i've changed a bit of the rea life path and i didnt had that much time for gaming. That was after 30. That was the moment when i've got married and my daughter arrived. When wife was pregnant i;ve played Age of Conan and the PvP was great but the exploits were much that i could handle.  After one year In one day she was lvl 1 :)))))))) So, i've focused on her and a bit less on games. Then Swtor came and i had the pleasure to test the game for 4-5 builds with an BW account. I'm pretty good with exploits and stuff and i've loved the game in the 1st 6months after release, i thought it could have a future. When i saw the game turns mainly into PvE experience and with pvp instanced i quit. At that moment, i was server 1st pvp wise for few months. It was epic then got bored of instanced pvp. 

I have a rule and i never broke it. I will never cheat in an online game, i wont take advantage by exploiting game mechanics because my self mechanism is pretty dumb and will consider that the game isbroken and i will quit the game before i even really play it. And another rule, i will quit all games i see ppl exploiting the game. 

I've quit ESO, i quit ArcheAge recently after the stupid game turns out to be a milk my credit card game + exploits, teleports, etc. After i quit the game, if i feel like i want to return in the future i usually purchase a bot and farm from time to time the game. I was involved in some RMT in few games that ive played, mainly because the game was bad and there were easy $$$ opportunities. I've used to bot for fun, for achievements but i dont have time to monitor computers at this moment. 

In the future, i will test most of the mmos that worth my trouble and i will quit the exploitable ones. For me, cheating is like a different fun. I cheat away from keyboard, i dont take advantages by using teleport or maphacks. For me cheating via botting is another method to like the game and to be hooked into that mmo.

Sometimes i cheat via botting when stupid game company makes me farm a dungeon or cash for 10.000 hours in order to be competitive. I dont have time anymore to do it and since i dont support RMT by buying the game i do it via bots. Its mainly the company that is making you do it, hehehe :)))

I hate myself for doing it but sometimes if i want to play some mmos, thats what i do, bot and play 5 mins to do in game stuff so the bot can do its job. I honestly blame the companies, because they launch games via kickstart with us testing the game and paying, i blame the companies for reporting the bugs/exploits and not fixing it, i blame companies for releasing broken games, i blame companies for releasing exploitable games and not doing much after to repair the game.

Due to respect for Yoshida i will never unsub from FFXIV, since what the guy did for FFXIV with ARR is a masterpiece. From time to time i play for 1-2 hours and thats it.

Our faith is in Camelot Unchained :))))))

Your fb friend, 

C.M. :)

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by Wighty

Bingo, even the most honest person has cheated or lied at some point. Even people outraged at cheaters at some point cheated. Killed a bugged NPC for EXP, found an exploit and used it at lest once, crafted a green item that gave back skill like crafting an orange so made a stack or two. Heck even took a cookie when mom said no snacks before dinner. If we think we can get away with it, the more likely we are willing to try. Thats why people loot stores when riots are going on. 

Yeah, I am very strongly against any kind of cheating   but I do admit that I DID cheat a few times.  In my first MMORPG I did quite a few times and again in other game.   It was very long time ago, but yeah I did.

Still even then I've wanted cheat free enviroment and cheating was prime reason why did I quit my first MMORPG (and whole MMO thing for several years).

Nowadays I have even less tolerance for cheating and I tend to see cheating in wide sense (includes RMT, bots, macros, all kinds of hacks, bugs exploiting, etc) as one of few most fundamental problems for online  gaming.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Maybe because your an asshole?

And fuck winning!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

For me it just depends on the game. While playing MMO and FPS games it would bother me if someone is cheating/exploiting the game to gain an advantage over others. However, in other games such as D3 and dungeon defender... players that cheat don't bother me since I have more control over my interaction with them.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Meh, cheaters are cheaters. Like you said, in life and in gaming. But, any real competitive person knows that there is greater satisfaction in 'actually' beating someone or something without cheating. I can only assume the feeling of beating something whilst cheating is severely low.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Companies sells cheats in cash shops.

They actually are trying to give these people a message that its actually positive feature to cheat.

So why to cheat,maybe the answer these days is "because its cool or hip"

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **