Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Crowfall: A Preview of Characters and Warfare

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red Thomas takes a look at character creation and advancement in Crowfall.  Then, Red previews warfare and speculates on what players can expect on the battlefield.

Read more of Red Thomas's Crowfall: A Preview of Characters & Warfare.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• phoenixxusphoenixxus Member UncommonPosts: 27

Ok, you got my interest. Loved the system back in everquest where if you picked up a sword you have never used before you had to practice with it to get your skill up.  It seem this game may have some of that flavor. 

Crafting being Impactful, important, and a major component of the game , How many times have we heard that. A lot of games start out that way but quickly fall into the gear grinding abyss. Guardedly  optimistic about this. 

With sony selling  SOE and the changes to the way daybreak (soe) will develop games. The removal of storybricks from everquest next. Which was the  main new innovation they had to NPC AI gone crowfall has taken that spot in my line up of games to watch this year.  

• NickcsNickcs Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Gave a earlybird backing of 30$ - Especially with old shadowbane in mind. I see alot of potential in Crowfall, i just hope they manage to deliver half of it. If so im all good.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

If they are making a convoluted and confusing character creation system which they openly admit will allow players to gimp themselves then they better have some way to allow players to ungimp themselves.  Some way to respec.  If they don't it's going to piss off a lot of people.

It is truly infuriating to find out later on that your character is gimped because you didn't add one extra point here or there at creation when nothing in the game told you that you would need it and now you can't do anything about it.  Or you didn't take X skill to go with Y skill because you had no idea that X was required to make Y effective and there was no explanation of this when you were making your character so how could you know?

If they allow players to gimp themselves and don't provide some way to fix said gimpage it would be a terrible mistake on their part.  Unless they simply find it amusing to read rage posts on their forums in which case, fine, go ahead.  But that would be a foolish way to run a business.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Looks awesome, really. Except on huge thing. 

NO BLOCK BUTTON?!?!  This is terrible, honestly.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

If they are making a convoluted and confusing character creation system which they openly admit will allow players to gimp themselves then they better have some way to allow players to ungimp themselves.  Some way to respec.  If they don't it's going to piss off a lot of people.

It is truly infuriating to find out later on that your character is gimped because you didn't add one extra point here or there at creation when nothing in the game told you that you would need it and now you can't do anything about it.  Or you didn't take X skill to go with Y skill because you had no idea that X was required to make Y effective and there was no explanation of this when you were making your character so how could you know?

If they allow players to gimp themselves and don't provide some way to fix said gimpage it would be a terrible mistake on their part.  Unless they simply find it amusing to read rage posts on their forums in which case, fine, go ahead.  But that would be a foolish way to run a business.

I think you are reading to much into it. Think more along the lines of EVE. You can learn a bunch of corporate skills right off the bat, but it won't help you in a dogfight. That doesn't mean the corporate skills are useless or gimp it is just not a good way to start the game for a new player. For a new player, mining skills or small ship combat skills are a better way to get going in the game.

Crowfall isn't going to hold your hand just like EVE. 

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    In addition to being race specific, are the classes also gender-specific? From the selection screenshot posted, it looks like that is the case.

<3

• gahiusgahius Member UncommonPosts: 2

From the offical FAQ:

3. Are the archetypes gender locked? Can I only play a male Knight, or a female Dryad?

Some of the archetypes are locked to a particular gender, but most of them are not. As a general rule, humanoid characters can be played in either gender, and non-humanoids (i.e. the “monster races”) are locked to a single gender. (Often for specific lore reasons. Those not excluded by lore may be added in the future)

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Yeah as much as I wanted to pledge more than $30 for the game, there is just to much up in the air if they can deliver on their promises.  I don't have any interest in joining an alpha that will get wiped anyways after dealing with a ton of bugs and crashes so that wasn't my deciding factor.  All and all, I feel $30 is my safest bet...heck I even save $20 on release day if the game is that good.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Sad to hear about gimpable and gender/race locked classes. Pass.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Destai

I know, right? I can't believe they're asking us to make choices. Eww.

<3

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    In addition to being race specific, are the classes also gender-specific? From the selection screenshot posted, it looks like that is the case.

Only monster race classes are gender-locked. The human classes aren't.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by Destai

Thats the best part. Sorry I'm so sick of games where you can't make mistakes. Games where you have zro ability to put creative meaningful thought into a character even if it screws it up. Some chances you take with a character will reap huge payoffs, others will crash and burn. Thats a beautiful thing. That was Shadowbane. That is a huge selling point for me. There are plenty of no brain or check your brain at the door games to play. Games that require no intelligence whatsoever to create a character and  to pick up and play. I give those to my little cousin. They can be fun, but they aren't made for people who like to theorycraft and experiment. Who like to think about their characters. I'm backed on this already. i don't typically like backing early, Camelot Unchained and Shards being the only 2 I ever have, but I'm down on this.

• cprikcprik Member UncommonPosts: 38
    In what way will the game benefit from denying the players the ability to create their own unique character?
    "Some races are gender locked for lore reason" yeah ok so those races dont dont mate with the opposite sex or what?

There isnt ANYONE that prefer having locked characters over making their own. Quite the opposite, some potential customers will even turn this game down because of the lack of that feature.

Fking bullshit..
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Hmm ... this reminds me ..."You can’t use a bow at all until you have the skill, and then you can’t use it well until you’ve trained a bit." .... how incredibly ANNYOING was getting nice 2H axe which my paladin never used before and then spending HOURS to level up skill. I do not like dumb games or dumbing down ... i.e. missing times when rogue had actually to train lock picking, etc. ....but spending hours at times to be able to use effectively new kind of weapon is a big miss. Unless they made it "leveling" up faster.

Still as long game is 3rd person, use mouse by pressing both buttons to move around, have >1 toolbar, .... will for sure try.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Snif, just read it will be PVP focused. I do not PVP, simple as that, hate it. I like PVE, leveling, questing, ... so I'm afraid this game will not be for me.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Same here. pvp focused is not for me. It is a shame as it looks interesting.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Yeah, I don't really care for races, genders, classes being locked.  I do like that you have to think about your build, unlike the recent systems where what you pick doesn't matter because their is no wrong choice.  

I don't mind the PvP focus but it really depends alot on how it is implemented and how hardcore it is.  I would love a game that allowed for more realistic tactics to be used, and that encouraged cooperation and accomplishing goals over just getting the most kills.