Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMORPG

honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Hey all, hope you're well.

It has been a while since I have been on this site and primarily due to work and family commitments I haven't been as close to my loved MMORPG games that I would like.

With the exception of the occasional go on WOW my gaming time has been taken up by playing some old games such as MOHAA and Star Wars Rebellion.

I need an MMORPG fix though and wanted to know what are the new and latest MMORPG games like in the last 6 months?

I guess what I am looking for is an MMORPG that returns that open world feeling. For example, I am a SWG veteran and just loved the fact that you could point your speeder in any direction, head into the middle of no-where and setup camp if you wanted too while mining for ore.

Combat is not that important to me, content is. For example I like different ways of progression such as levelling up your profession skills and selling your wares. Or exploring rare and difficult areas things like that.

Are there any new MMORPG's that deliver anything like this? Sort of the old SWG original feel, something like that.

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Arche Age, pretty good on the crafting side, if the game to hard then we got rift that both free to play game.

Trove maybe if that your cup of tea still growing on it's market is pretty so far, no AH so have to trade hand to hand for rare hard to farm items.

Wildstar not to sure yet, if they get in more in the game I am sure that can fit you pretty well if don't like f2p games.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Op- What you want does not exist. Sorry. many of us want the same and pour time has passed (it seems) as "virtual worlds" dont really exist anymore. Plenty of quest grinders, theme parks or PVP arenas (calling themselves "sandbox") or MOBA s, online lobby games, etc... Its a great time for those types of games. For virtual worlds? Nope. sorry.

The age of incline is returning to CRPGs however. Some great single player games coming from smaller studios like Wasteland 2 , Divinity OS, Shadowrun and the like.

Not trying to be a downer but... If you are going to play an MMORPG WOW is still the best (unless you can stomach eve) and almost everything else is a clone with less content , more restriction and probably cash shop oriented.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by honoursword
    Hey all, hope you're well.It has been a while since I have been on this site and primarily due to work and family commitments I haven't been as close to my loved MMORPG games that I would like.With the exception of the occasional go on WOW my gaming time has been taken up by playing some old games such as MOHAA and Star Wars Rebellion.I need an MMORPG fix though and wanted to know what are the new and latest MMORPG games like in the last 6 months?I guess what I am looking for is an MMORPG that returns that open world feeling. For example, I am a SWG veteran and just loved the fact that you could point your speeder in any direction, head into the middle of no-where and setup camp if you wanted too while mining for ore.Combat is not that important to me, content is. For example I like different ways of progression such as levelling up your profession skills and selling your wares. Or exploring rare and difficult areas things like that.Are there any new MMORPG's that deliver anything like this? Sort of the old SWG original feel, something like that.

Nope.

you could try the repopulation but the pop is very low for an early access game.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I'm an old SWG vet myself and I've tried just about everything out there.  My first question- how do you feel about group content?

For me I have to say Guild Wars 2 is a quality game and I enjoyed the leveling experience and the world, but without roles to play (tanks, heals, CC, DPS) the group content just wasn't fun. 

Wildstar gave me a headache.  The humor wears off fast and the end game is designed around 40 man raids. 

Archeage has enough sandbox features to remind me of SWG, but owning Land is such a hassle it's not fun.  The crafting is rewarding but as soon as you are able to achieve something great like raising a rare bear mount, they put it in the cash shop. This game is much too much pay 2 win.

I'm having the most fun currently getting immersed in Elder Scrolls Online. Huge amount of content, player crafted everything is the best and on March 16 it becomes buy to play without a subscription. Next week they drop the largest patch since release adding a ton of new features as well.   Group content is solid and not easy. Tons of solo dungeons and delves and 16 4man dungeons while leveling up. PvP is three faction in the most incredible central battleground I've ever seen in an MMO but don't know your preference on the PVP front. I will say this, the game is immersive. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by honoursword

I need an MMORPG fix though and wanted to know what are the new and latest MMORPG games like in the last 6 months?

I guess what I am looking for is an MMORPG that returns that open world feeling. For example, I am a SWG veteran and just loved the fact that you could point your speeder in any direction, head into the middle of no-where and setup camp if you wanted too while mining for ore.

As far as the last 6 months or even year I would say you are out of luck based on what you described.  However, the closest thing to get that "head in a direction and do stuff" then sell your wares would probably be Fallen Earth.  That game doesn't restrict the items you can craft based on professions like woodworker, weaponsmith, armorsmith, etc.  If you have the mats and enough skill in crafting you can make it wither it's a dune buggy, helmet, rifle, food, etc.  Keep in mind I have no idea what the pop is like now a days, but it is f2p so wouldn't cost anything to check out.  I think part of what gives the game that feeling is just how big the game world is.  Very similar to the size of SWG planets.  Plus your mount is persistent in the world.  If you hop off your dirt bike or horse, it just doesn't go poof into mid air until you need it again.  It stays there and mobs will attack it and damage/kill/destroy your mount if you don't pay attention to it.  That kind of adds to the immersion.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Er, not to be a master of the obvious, but perhaps EVE?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I recommend Guild Wars 2.  One time fee and maybe some money down to buy character slots and then have a blast.  I literally always have something to do on any given character across all types of MMO gameplay.  From exploring to leveling to questing to crafting to battleground PVP to massive PVP to boss hunting to jumping puzzles and all in an open world environment with incredible music, awesome visuals and tons of metagaming and more to come with the expansion later this year. 

May want to wait for next month too for Elder Scrolls Online.  That has open world and the questing is more involved and lore heavy. 

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

I posted yesterday about an older one undergoing a face lift over the next couple of weeks. I have nothing invested in it, short of thinking it's a game that has some really good potential if it gets populated. Linkrealms.

It has crafting, gardening, home-owning, combat, PvP, full-loot systems, smooth animations, really nice looking graphics and feels and plays a lot like the original UO... including the skill system.

• TalonThornTalonThorn Member Posts: 9

You might want to check out Trials of Ascension. It has a Kickstarter going right now. There are a lot of great features planned.

Skill-based, twitch combat with friendly fire, involved crafting system, modular house construction with no preset housing zones/plots, settlement and kingdom features, dynamic spawning of plants and animals, GM run events including controlling mobs, etc.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

You don't need an MMO for that.

Get Fallout New Vegas and/or Skyrim and enjoy the huge benefits of single player games.

Countless mods

No damn cash shop

A world you can actually influence