Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Shards Online: Random Events and the Shape of Many Worlds

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Since their successful Kickstarter last year, Citadel Studios’ Shards Online has largely gone dark in terms of PR and outreach. Contrary to other KS games with multi-million dollar budgets, they’ve been focused more on making the game that adding pledges, because their staff and budget dictate as much. I caught up with Citadel’s Derek Brinkman to chat about the state of Shards and their plans for Alpha and Beta this year.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Shards Online: Random Events and the Shape of Many Worlds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    looks like a  good game coming along quietly.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    ill play anything good,but there are so few good games!
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yay, go shards.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    so excited for this.  
  • puffmousepuffmouse Member UncommonPosts: 44

this top down iso view, i guess the previous little bits i had gotten about shards did not prepare me for this level of disappointment.  this looks like a uo throwback?

so im wondering in games built like this, are player housing really just utility stations and not part of immersion? 

i do find poe fun, but never felt like that style of game needed a house.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

They raised a relatively small amount of money by MMO standards (c. 105k from Kickstarter and some other "small investments") but they seem to be making it work in a big way. This goes to show what a few dedicated and talented people can do.

The pics from their Kickstarter campaign better reflect their camera angles.

So far this looks like a game I will try.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• Blaide1Blaide1 Member Posts: 1

Can't wait to get in there

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    PVP and Cash Shop in an MMORPG=No for me. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by puffmouse

this top down iso view, i guess the previous little bits i had gotten about shards did not prepare me for this level of disappointment.  this looks like a uo throwback?

so im wondering in games built like this, are player housing really just utility stations and not part of immersion? 

i do find poe fun, but never felt like that style of game needed a house.

In UO I believe housing was a big part for some people. You could decorate it and build various designs and store things in it. It also offered protection from being PVP'ed (I think?)

• stvnkrs10stvnkrs10 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Funny how all of these people complaining about the old school style graphics seem to forget about the 100 games that failed with excellent graphics and crappy game play. I'll take decent old school graphics and an immersive game over state of the art graphics and a garbage game any day. 

Looking forward to shards!

• DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by stvnkrs10

Funny how all of these people complaining about the old school style graphics seem to forget about the 100 games that failed with excellent graphics and crappy game play. I'll take decent old school graphics and an immersive game over state of the art graphics and a garbage game any day. 

Can I have both? :)

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by martinsdemon

Somewhere along the line gamers became convinced it is impossible to have both.  I suppose I will remain with the minority who holds out for both also.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    From the little I played of the pre-alpha, even though it's very bare bones, I got a really nice feel from it. It felt a lot like playing an updated version of Ultima Online to me, which in my book is a very good thing. It's a very long way from being done though, but I am encouraged and hopeful.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by martinsdemon

Somewhere along the line gamers became convinced it is impossible to have both.  I suppose I will remain with the minority who holds out for both also.

That's right.  Despite the "mechanics over graphics" cheerleaders, It's not an either/or for me.  I expect both also for my money/time.

• TheStryderHDTheStryderHD Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Waiting for the Alpha at this point, the game's graphics are not what this game is truly about, it's the innovations of user functionality. Looks fun and I might put down the $40 to get into Alpha, but I'm not spending $75+ for the Pre-Alpha.