Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need help building a new computer from a 2005 to something more recentish

1235»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Gdemami

LEPA N500 powersupply is still ok and nothing to be afraid of. The PSU he talks about is entirely different product line. Latest EVGA reviewed by same site was far from deemed as "fail".
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/02/19/evga_430w_power_supply_review/9#.VOn_LeOG9Wg

How do you know that the Lepa N500 is good?  Some Lepa power supplies are good and some are junk.  How do you know that that one is good?

Originally posted by 13lake
    Originally posted by Quizzical

3)  ignoring shipping costs, counting post-rebate prices, assuming you live next door to a Micro Center

option 3 is $308 with all SHIPPING included and WITHOUT rebates, and we don't even know if his uncle can or can't go to a microcenter, u can't just ignore or twist irrefutable facts to fit your story, ...

Sales tax for microcenter applies when shipping, varying from the state to state being shipped into.

Because I don't know personally, can someone please tell me how the receipt will look like when u go into a microcenter in person and say i want to get that FX-6300 bundle for $89.99.

They you go to the register they tell u price is $99.99+a rebate card, and then how much exactly do you pay and what is written on the receipt $99.99 or $109.99 ?

Do they add the tax depending on the state ( it's 9% for Los Angeles), or what exactly happens ?

If your uncle lives nearby a Microcenter, wouldn't it make the most sense for him to drop by the microcenter and ask them directly there ?

Antec VP-450, Lepa N500 it doesn't matter both are good for the price point, evga 500-KR is worse, and raidmax the worst of all of them.

There have been a lot of both option (2) and option (3) builds scattered through this thread.

Saying that a power supply is good for a particular price point is not at all similar to saying that the power supply is good, period.  The best power supply for $x tends to get better as x increases, at least for values of x that aren't trivially stupid on a $300 budget.

The GPU in an A10-7800 or A10-7850K is essentially the same as in the Radeon R9 250X:  they're the same number of GCN compute units on the same architecture.  But the latter is clocked much higher:  typically about 1.1 GHz versus 720 MHz.  They're technically built on different process nodes, but the process node for the APU is actually built to handle much higher clock speeds than for the discrete card. 

Also Quizzical if I'm not mistaken, the gpu in the Radeon R9 250X has 10 Compute units and not 8 like the A10-7850K ?

The official website says up to 640 stream processors for the R9 250X which would make it have 10 compute units, but it is confusing that it says "up to" which is why I'm suspicious. :http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r7

250X on newegg says 640(10 compute units) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127791

250 on newegg says 384(6 compute units): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127764

And only the single new 250E says 512(8 Compute units) like the A10-7850K APU 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150711

You're right; my mistake.  I had the specs mixed up and thought that there was still a common Cape Verde salvage part with 8 CUs like the old Radeon HD 7750.  It looks like that's mostly not the case anymore and the Radeon R7 250X is full Cape Verde, while the Radeon R7 250 is usually Oland.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by QuizzicalHow do you know that the Lepa N500 is good?  Some Lepa power supplies are good and some are junk.  How do you know that that one is good?

13lake was coming up with LEPA, not me.

However, Enermax is very reliable manufacturer, despite their odd bad apple of MX F1, that unlikely set a premise for all other Enermax power supplies being bad, especially product lines that are older.

I din't say it is good, I said it is "okey and nothing to be afraid of". I could not find any review, just some bits here and there and nothing suggested there is anything particularly wrong with that PSU.

I would still go with EVGA or Antec as I suggested.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

LEPA N500 powersupply is still ok and nothing to be afraid of. The PSU he talks about is entirely different product line. Latest EVGA reviewed by same site was far from deemed as "fail".
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/02/19/evga_430w_power_supply_review/9#.VOn_LeOG9Wg

How do you know that the Lepa N500 is good?  Some Lepa power supplies are good and some are junk.  How do you know that that one is good?

I know that's it "ok" because i checked who the OEM is and took a quick peak on the overall capacitor and other brand parts. It doesn't have good voltage control it doesn't have good filtering/ripple control, but it's made by CWT(Channel Well Technologies), and  the last i heard is that CWT is still the best out of all Chinese "low grade" Power supply OEMs.

So no it's not actually an Enermax unit. The Antec VP-450 is made by FSP group who are generally considered worse than CWT, but the particular antec seems to have slightly better components. and the $40 Evga 500w (not the B model) is a HEC unit.

You're right; my mistake.  I had the specs mixed up and thought that there was still a common Cape Verde salvage part with 8 CUs like the old Radeon HD 7750.  It looks like that's mostly not the case anymore and the Radeon R7 250X is full Cape Verde, while the Radeon R7 250 is usually Oland.

Yes, i remembered being extremely annoyed when there wasn't a direct counterpart to the gpu on the 7850K on launch (which AMD hinted on and did not deliver, same with not delivering support for APU + 260/260X crossfire.

We were supposed to get both 7790 and 7850 support, ...

The mysterious 512SP 250E is just now showing up a full year after 7850K launch, probably to compliment the Kaveri refresh(Godaveri).

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

You don't have to build them, the ps4 comes put together in the box.

I checked the sales tax for MIcrocenter for LA, it's $8, and there's a shop in Tustin/Orange County(suburb of Los Angeles).

The combo price is $108 on in-person pickup with taxes :(

Tustin is 52 miles from Van Nuys, that's not really close :(

I would still go with EVGA or Antec as I suggested.

All the power supplies we are recommending are essentially bad. None you or I listed is made by a reputable OEM, none has even decent soldering work, capacitor's are low-medium grade Chinese, there is not  a single high quality Japanese capacitor in any of them. The filtering units are abysmal, if you're lucky you'll find 1 Japanese component in 1 out of 5 of them, not even higher quality Chinese ones.

Until you get something made by Super Flower, you're not getting the good stuff, it's all on the low end.

in ideal circumstances none of the power supplies we're suggesting are gonna make it past 5 years, the Rosewill capstone for instance will probably make it up to 10 years, and certainly well over 5 years.

Originally posted by adam_nox

You don't have to build them, the ps4 comes put together in the box.

His max amount of money to spend is $300, the PS4 atm costs $400, so unless you Personally give him $100, i don't see how he can get it ?

This is the second PS4 suggestion, ... can i suggest all future "console" advocates to please at least read the first post in this topic, ...

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

13lake was coming up with LEPA, not me.

LEPA N500 powersupply is still ok and nothing to be afraid of.

Really? Sounds like an endorsement to me. You didn't say "I don't know anything about it". You didn't say "I wouldn't buy it", you didn't say "It's bad".. You said it's "ok".

The first good power supplies u can buy are these 2 both Seasonic models :

Seasonic SS-400ET for $52 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151076&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Seasonic S12II 380B for $56 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151072&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

But there isn't much point in getting any of those 2 when u can get a Rosewill Capstone 450 for $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Rosewill capstone is the first and cheapest power supply i would buy for myself if i was buying a power supply right now.

Oh and the reason everyone is saying The cheapest/weakest EVGA model is shit is because unlike all the stronger ones (made by HEC), this one 100-N1-0400-L1 is made by Acbel Polytech, ... 

Oh, and i remembered something now i noticed a while back, all this PSU stuff made me remember, a lot of PSU sellers have been switching out their power supplies from CWT to FSP, as if CWT has been getting sloppier or something.

If that is the reason i would rather trust Antec with the VP450 then the LEPA considering the price is the same, and the VP450 already has slightly better quality components.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by squallypewhes in LA  van nuys.

Then newegg will charge 9% tax when shipping to California.

Oh, and i remembered something now i noticed a while back, all this PSU stuff made me remember, a lot of PSU sellers have been switching out their power supplies from CWT to FSP, as if CWT has been getting sloppier or something.

Like many other power supply vendors, Channel Well can make something nice when so inclined (e.g., Corsair's HX series), or can make junk when it needs to be cheap.  Basically, they'll make whatever the company buying the power supplies from them wants them to make.  I don't blame them for taking that approach, but it does mean that knowing something is made by Channel Well doesn't automatically tell you that it's good or bad.