Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Forums Are Coming!

Comments

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Hopefully it will be more mobile friendly.
    -Chuckles
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

change frightens me.

i am scared.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    RIP Coldfusion. This is one of the few sites I know still running under Coldfusion.  CFM was under-rated.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    & if you're going to incorporate social media, don't forget about g+. It's the least annoying of the lot.
    -Chuckles
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Wizardry
    I looked over the Vanilla site and did a lot of reading but don't really see the attraction?

I notice here Mike says MUCH faster,well there seemed to be some real anomalies with speed that never made sense.Example i would often get pages that said loaded in 1 second but in reality just spun and took about 20 seconds to load,so why were they saying loaded in 1 second.That kind of tells me the speed variances were of some other problem,maybe not the provider

Part of that is that the forum software takes 1 second to create the page from the database, but then you still have to wait on all the ads and tracking cookies and everything else to load, which the software isn't reporting in it's load time. It's just reporting it's time to create from the database.

Ahhh very good answer,i just assumed it was timing the entire load that we see,kind of a pointless timer then as we already know pc's are extremely fast and can load data in mere milliseconds.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DetectiveChatDetectiveChat Member Posts: 29
    Is there a rough ETA on the completion of this process?

Got milk?

• BossOfThisGymBossOfThisGym Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Agreed, it should have been upgraded for long. Looking forward to seeing it.
  • CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    NGE comes to mind ...
  • NajwalaylahNajwalaylah Member UncommonPosts: 85

Originally posted by Iselin
    I like the sink thread option - they use it quite a bit at the ESO forums... one step down from a full lock. And I think you can set inactive threads to auto-sink after X number of days inactivity too. Good for necro prevention.
    Meaning "ruins long-term discussion of prevailing issues", but I'm sure MMORPG.com will go for it.

Originally posted by Scot
    I think it is obvious posters are getting concerned, if you radically change the nature of the forums with voting, then the forums will become more about voting than the content of posts.You are going to get posters voted down by fanbois, even if they have to use the 'Positive vote and LOL' method. MMORPG has kept going strong, when many have gone south.  Any changes that lead us towards social media devalue the site, in case you guys don't know this, there is a lot of social media already out there.
    Assuredly, not everything should be a popularity contest.

However, the way the forum software now formats posts makes me long for Xenforo, and I dislike some things about Xenforo (like the way the rating system invites readers to rate rather than posters to comment). I would certainly use MMORPG.com more often if it were not quite so annoying to quote, enter, then format text.

Casilda Tametomo, Priestess of Soldeus | AKA Lepida Aegis-Imperium.com

«Si oblitus fuero usque ad finem omnia opera eorum»

• DauzaDauza Member Posts: 8
    aww any updates on the new forum? though I just got here lol
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Dauza

Soon™

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Dauza

We're getting closer. Got some kinks and iteration to work on, but most of the heavy lifting has been done!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Is anyone getting that gut feeling that we will be able to draw parallels with what has gone wrong with new MMOs and what will go wrong with the new forums yet?

At its heart many changes were to make MMOs take on new developments in other gaming genres. Getting a new forum we are going to see lots of "must have" innovation from social media that we don't need and probably don't want.

In preparation after putting my plate armour on and firmly strapping my helmet to my head, I have entered "Defensive Stance". :)

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    i just hope they dont change the colors ...ugh forums on white, or bright color make me sick.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Originally posted by Skuall
    i just hope they dont change the colors ...ugh forums on white, or bright color make me sick.

Now you mention it that's a distinct possibility. Needed because everyone uses a tablet or smartphone to access MMORPG.com...no they don't but when has that stopped anyone? The BBC recently went over to a garish red and white scheme that just makes me spend less time on it than I used to.

I suppose we will also get huge buttons and less information displayed on the screen so smartphone users are happy. :-(

Now you mention it that's a distinct possibility. Needed because everyone uses a tablet or smartphone to access MMORPG.com...no they don't but when has that stopped anyone? The BBC recently went over to a garish red and white scheme that just makes me spend less time on it than I used to.

I suppose we will also get huge buttons and less information displayed on the screen so smartphone users are happy. :-(

Mobile has its own theme. Doesn't have any effect on the desktop forums.

Also, here's a teaser:

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by MikeB

Also, here's a teaser:

looking gooooood..  its about time the old forum gets put into a grave.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    How are our existing accounts going to be handled (Joined, post history, etc) Thanks!

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by remyburke
    How are our existing accounts going to be handled (Joined, post history, etc) Thanks!

We're migrating your data. You don't need to do anything.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Mobile has its own theme. Doesn't have any effect on the desktop forums.

It's also worth noting that when the full new site comes (these forums are just the forums), you'll have the option of dark or like themes. :) 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Stizzled

...and new forums that will probably be chocked full of up votes, down votes 

It will certainly be an interesting experiment, as most of the regulars here can probably list exactly which topics will get mass upvoted or downvoted. My money is on about 50 or so posters grinding levels in MMORPG.com's upcoming forum game, Echo Chamber Online.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It will certainly be an interesting experiment, as most of the regulars here can probably list exactly which topics will get mass upvoted or downvoted. My money is on about 50 or so posters grinding levels in MMORPG.com's upcoming forum game, Echo Chamber Online.

Now that's a rather odd forum error. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Except for the little detail you may have missed: we aren't doing upvotes/downvotes. :)

Except for the little detail you may have missed: we aren't doing upvotes/downvotes. :)

*hugz and manly kisses*