Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon State of the Game Update 2-20-15

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Sinent
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    This may be the sleeper many of us have been waiting for. Well, for me it looks pretty promising. 

Amen! and if you think about it he seems to have realised that a small group of passionate folks was exactly what made eq what it was . who knows maybe this is part of the right formula to making a hit for the long term!

i do know this eq originally had very little questing and that's what i miss  so sick of questing let me find 5 others and go grind 4 hrs a night while we shoot the breeze.

While I'm happy you have found an mmo you are looking forward to.  Don't mistaken your own rose-tinted memories for what the majority of gamers want.  An mmo with zero quests and only way to level is grinding will die shortly after launching.

Oh I don't think that's true.

It won't be a "hit" but there are a lot of people (you can call the group niche if you would like) who are tired of quests and who do want to get back to the older style mmo's (myself included).

As long as the developers/game company/publisher/"whoever" know this and have planned accordingly with a smaller profit/income, I don't see why the game can't work.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

Just to clarify, there will be quests in Pantheon, just not to the extent that VG had them and there will not be any !'s or ?'s to drag you around some leveling path. You will have to go out and find them, speak to Npcs, enter caves, talk to guards etc and depending on your questions/answers some quests can change and even turn hostile towards you, so your decisions/choices matter to a degree.

But you are not going to get flooded with quests, we are looking for a nice balance between EQ and VG, so there are less but of good quality, it also won't matter if you skip past most of them them, some may be linked to character development etc but the majority will be nice options to follow if you can find them and choose to see them through.

We do not want to force them down your throat though.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The irony in that this game might actually release and EQ next be cancelled. haha

Bwahahahahah....well said man..well said..

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Curt2013Curt2013 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Haha I just saw the video I wish I never saw it I'm so freaking pumped now after watching it. I was just about to go to bed and now I see this but I love it this is going to happen. To me its the best looking game I've seen already it just fits my style really well from the little ive seen and read about. really excited.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    This may be the sleeper many of us have been waiting for. Well, for me it looks pretty promising. 

Amen! and if you think about it he seems to have realised that a small group of passionate folks was exactly what made eq what it was . who knows maybe this is part of the right formula to making a hit for the long term!

i do know this eq originally had very little questing and that's what i miss  so sick of questing let me find 5 others and go grind 4 hrs a night while we shoot the breeze.

While I'm happy you have found an mmo you are looking forward to.  Don't mistaken your own rose-tinted memories for what the majority of gamers want.  An mmo with zero quests and only way to level is grinding will die shortly after launching.

It won't be a "hit" but there are a lot of people (you can call the group niche if you would like) who are tired of quests and who do want to get back to the older style mmo's (myself included).

As long as the developers/game company/publisher/"whoever" know this and have planned accordingly with a smaller profit/income, I don't see why the game can't work.

It's possible it could work following your criteria.  I'm just tired of hearing bitter vets say that this type of mmo will be the next big thing.  How can it be the next big thing when it already happened 15+ years ago lol.

• Curt2013Curt2013 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Kilsin

Just to clarify, there will be quests in Pantheon, just not to the extent that VG had them and there will not be any !'s or ?'s to drag you around some leveling path. You will have to go out and find them, speak to Npcs, enter caves, talk to guards etc and depending on your questions/answers some quests can change and even turn hostile towards you, so your decisions/choices matter to a degree.

But you are not going to get flooded with quests, we are looking for a nice balance between EQ and VG, so there are less but of good quality, it also won't matter if you skip past most of them them, some may be linked to character development etc but the majority will be nice options to follow if you can find them and choose to see them through.

This sounds great, im so sick of questing solo falling asleep at my board. I would love to just hang out either at a camp or do dungeon runs all day. Minimal questing is a brilliant choice, lets get back to old school.

they need to quite showing this stuff really anxious

That's good to hear.  The more options the better.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I just wonder how long that will last, I used to love grinding skills up in SWG as an example, doing so today feels like a chore during long sessions. It's a stark reminder of why they tried something different in the first place..

I get that people want more reason to just be in the world and feel quests degrade from it, yet wouldn't there be more creative ways of doing this though? Simply reverting back to what folks grew tired of in the first place, just seems an odd move.

I certainly hope this isn't what the devs are thinking in regard to creating a virtual world. Why go the Mob grinding route?

Why not create something different, something more meaningful to the world that enhances it?

As a quick example, build skills by contributing to the world, not through questing but through actions, bounties (weapon/defense skills), trade runs (crafting/commerce skills), rare creatures for sport trophies (exotic skills)... etc

(NPC) Bounties could be placed all over the world, trade runs could begin at certain Towns/inns/Cities..At least this way I fell like I'm still interacting in that world and it isn't simply a one dimensional chat room, or nothing but a PVP stomping ground.

Those are just quick ideas that popped into my head while writing this. Surely people who create these games could think up better systems.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

I just wonder how long that will last, I used to love grinding skills up in SWG as an example, doing so today feels like a chore during long sessions. It's a stark reminder of why they tried something different in the first place.. I get that people want more reason to just be in the world and feel quests degrade from it, yet wouldn't there be more creative ways of doing this though? Simply reverting back to what folks grew tired of in the first place, just seems an odd move.

I certainly hope this isn't what the devs are thinking in regard to creating a virtual world. Why go the Mob grinding route? Why not create something different, something more meaningful to the world that enhances it? As a quick example, build skills by contributing to the world, not through questing but through actions, bounties (weapon/defense skills), trade runs (crafting/commerce skills), rare creatures for sport trophies (exotic skills)... etc, (NPC) Bounties could be placed all over the world, trade runs could begin at certain Towns/inns/Cities..At least this way I fell like I'm still interacting in that world and it isn't simply a one dimensional chat room, or nothing but a PVP stomping ground. Those are just quick ideas that popped into my head while writing this. Surely people who create these games could think up better systems.

Thank you.  You elaborated on my point exactly the way I wanted to.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

After playing some of our most recent round of AAA MMOs: Wildstar/ESO, both of which are absolutely filled to the brim with quest... meaningless shallow quest that are poorly written, quickly forgotten, and do little except fill time.   On top of that neither managed to be particularly successful: ESO is down to one active Cyrodiil campaign and Wildstar is cratering.

I feel the way forward for questing is a go hard or go home.  If you're going to have quests then they had better be mindblowingly good, like on par with a good book or TV show.  I feel like games with less "trash quests" are the future.

That said simply forcing people to grind mobs is likely not a good solution to questing, think more gw2 where there was a large variety of ways to get to max level, you could even gather your way there.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Sounds good, I'm fine with a bunch of quests in the game as long as I don't have to do a single one of them lol.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by reeereee

After playing some of our most recent round of AAA MMOs: Wildstar/ESO, both of which are absolutely filled to the brim with quest... meaningless shallow quest that are poorly written, quickly forgotten, and do little except fill time.   On top of that neither managed to be particularly successful: ESO is down to one active Cyrodiil campaign and Wildstar is cratering.

I feel the way forward for questing is a go hard or go home.  If you're going to have quests then they had better be mindblowingly good, like on par with a good book or TV show.  I feel like games with less "trash quests" are the future.

That said simply forcing people to grind mobs is likely not a good solution to questing, think more gw2 where there was a large variety of ways to get to max level, you could even gather your way there.

I don't exactly disagree, but when I think about ESO I think about how far questing has come since hunting down farmer browns pies in early iterations of MMO questing. I'd agree trying to offer so many quests hurts overall quality (that goes without saying), I'd also agree it's time to move on to new styles of play. I just don't agree ESO is the example to use as bad questing, there are far worse systems to charge in that. If anything ESO showed questing doesn't have to be done by the numbers as it has been time and time again...

I actually like what SOTA is doing, they have quests, but they are far more interesting using teh spoken dialogue system they implemented. It's been a while since I'd used a system like that, it has not become a drag like mob grinding in SWG I eluded to earlier. It's a system that still truly holds up today.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Sounds good, I'm fine with a bunch of quests in the game as long as I don't have to do a single one of them lol.

There are certain quests, tasks or bounties that will be tied to character progression.  Some for leveling will be mandatory, while others might be optional for specializations, but obviously still important.  I would also guess there will be some truly epic quests as well, if I know these guys at all.