Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is THE game to restore my faith in the genre

13»

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Phry
    Is there even enough information out to even hype this game yet.. after visiting the games website .. which didnt have that much information on it.. i find it hard to really say whether its going to be good or bad.. its just too early..  what few screenshots there is show its going to be a fairly nice looking game.. but.. overall its just too early to get enthusiastic about this game.. and for me.. hype has no value.. if anything.. the more the hype.. the more suspicious i am..  once the game is released.. then will be the time to start talking about games restoring faith in genre etc...  after all the whole game could be vapourware..

Most of the info we have about ArcheAge comes from closed beta 1 and 2. In other words, its already in game and being played. Closed beta 3 starts in a couple weeks so we should get even more videos soon of even more game features. There is no nda. The developers are being incredibly transparent about their product. There is hype about functioning in game features and mechanics. Not sure where one would get the idea that this is vaporware.
  • gmyankgmyank Member Posts: 6

Hope this game is released before end of this year.  World is suppose to end next year.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by DKLond

Let's just say I'm one greedy gamer - and I honestly don't think there's anywhere left to go but to put the game in the hands of the players themselves - to SOME extent.

Not in terms of monetary success, because I'm sure something like SWTOR or GW2 will generate millions of dollars in returns.

No, I'm exclusively talking about taking the genre forward from where it stagnated back with UO and its ilk.

We need a world that's worth visiting - which is the "themepark" I'm hoping for with ArcheAge. But, beyond that, we need a world that's worth LIVING in - and that's where the sandbox element comes in.

I need something to stand out, that I (and others) put in the game - once I'm long gone. I want something to stand as a testament to the fact that WE were there.

Low/limited-budget sandboxes like Darkfall or Mortal Online can do that, to an extent, but they lack the appeal to motivate significant and perpetual evolution from the developers. We need a world that's not just affected by our actions, but also one that's inspiring and exciting to live in and to watch grow ever larger. That's what we can get from a well-funded mass appeal themepark/sandbox, that we will never get from Darkfall or Mortal Online.

Good point, and something I agree with too.

As for innovative, I don't think ArcheAge is that innovative, I mean, I think that every one of its sandbox features has been around in 1 form or the other in former MMO's.

But what ArcheAge seems to be doing is taking a number of those old features, polish them up and draw them into current tech and technological options, and mix them up with themepark elements and content, and all this, and this is a very important one, on an AAA level of quality and production.

I think that a themepark/sandbox hybrid is indeed the best way to do things, because both design aspects have their own strengths to offer to MMO gameplay: take design into an extreme at both ends of the themepark and sandbox perspective, and your game will be less for it.

I also don't think that the genre after UO or with WoW stagnated, it just progressed and went into a different direction than some back then might have hoped for. In that time there have been quite some innovative design and technological improvements, only of a kind that proponents of a sandbox type of design wanted or were looking for.

Well said.

I want to play ArcheAge more than anything else right now and pray it gets an North America release.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

So it came, it saw, it got a NA release and it conquered....

How do we feel about it years later?

Did AA keep the faith restored or nah?

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by nolf

So it came, it saw, it got a NA release and it conquered....

How do we feel about it years later?

Did AA keep the faith restored or nah?

Thats pretty much been answered already.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    It was like a fart in the wind.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Holy shit, it's like I got sucked through time back to 2011.

You stay sassy!

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305

Didnt followed much through the years because i thought its a korean game and will be like the other koreans.

Spend too much time thinking ESO would become a full MMORPG game but it became a quest instance grinder.

Just at release i dived into it and its the best sanedbox sind 2005 !  What a relief .

For me it restored my hope in the MMOPRG genre.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Great Odin's Pink Panties!

Epic Necro!!!

oh. . .and AA sux

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Necro lol, almost had me.

But yea....it did restore my faith in the genre for about 30 days.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by greenreen

What are the redeeming factors of the game?

Uhm...gameplay ?!

For being "just a themepark" it offers the most features released in a single game to date.

Craftres, Traders , Explorer, PvP'r, Pirates and even for the odd music composer or creative designer  for all these playstyles there is content .

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Great game, horrendous pay model, terrible dev, lost publisher.

Had it been a p2p title with no cash shop and a different team running it, I'd probably still be playing.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Hmmm....i sense a strong necrotic power around...it's spooky.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by nolf
    So it came, it saw, it got a NA release and it conquered....How do we feel about it years later?Did AA keep the faith restored or nah?
    Jake Song successfully created the world he envisioned. Unfortunately, Trion had other ideas.