Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this site full of non-mmo news.

I have not played an mmo in over a year although I use to play them all. I come back to see what games are coming out. 2 new final fantasy mmo's? thats wierd? A witcher mmo? hmm? Darkest Dungeon? Wait.. none of these are MMO's?

Is mmo as a genre so dead that this site is now just gamespot 2.0?

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by BraedonH

Bingo.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Bingo.

Not quite at all.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/8277/MMO-RPG.html - Why we now cover RPGs.

We're always going to be primarily about MMOs, and as you can see from our features page and news page, MOST of our coverage is still about MMOs. But we've added RPGs as well, because it does give us more games to cover at conventions, during down/slow periods, and with reviews. In addition, we're seeing more and more developer shy away from the term MMO when they are in fact making one (see Defiance pre-launch, Destiny, The Division, etc). By telling PR and suits that we cover both MMOs and RPGs, they're more liable to give us the content we need to cover those games.

In addition, though I can't put a date on it yet, when the new site launches this year it'll be MUCH easier to tell what is an RPG and what is an MMO in terms of coverage.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I have not played an mmo in over a year although I use to play them all. I come back to see what games are coming out. 2 new final fantasy mmo's? thats wierd? A witcher mmo? hmm? Darkest Dungeon? Wait.. none of these are MMO's?

Why does IGN have sections dedicated to Movies, TV, Comics, Music, Babes?? IGN. Imagine GAMES Network. 

It's a gaming site, and it's pretty short-sighted to believe that people who come here are singularly-focused in their lives. They are only interested in MMORPGs. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    They mentioned last year they are trying to diversify in order to generate more revenue, because MMOs are dead. I added that last part, but it's true. Smart on their part, IMHO.

Joined - July 2004

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

What a refreshing question!

/end sarcasm