Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

300 euro or under parts dilemma

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by 13lake

Plenty of competition, there's no monopoly(that i know off), there's at least 3 distinct importers/big retailers i know off plenty of capitalism to go around and that still happens.

The only thing to explain it is that still 90% of the population knows so little of computers and their parts that they can easily get tricked by this over, and over again.

I once saw an Acer laptop that had both integrated graphics and also a discrete card that was slower than the integrated graphics.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

That is just, priceless, obviously someone has to fall for it for that stuff to happen(meh, who am i kidding,no technical knowledge suits in charge of IT always think they can get away with everything)

It took me about an hour to explain/convince a friend that the integrated gpu in the 7850k was stronger than a nvidia 650. And then he asked me what about 250 ?, and then but its atleast way better than a 250x, right ?

His explanation was, well the integrated gpu in that must be a piece of shit right, all of them were always bad, are bad now, and always will be bad, no matter what's in there right ? (his point of reference was on-motherboard gpu circa <2007)

Not to mention at one point he asked me if the intel HD4600 was any good, and then when i said it wasn't well AMD one is then 10x worse right no point in getting it, ...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by 13lakeHis explanation was, well the integrated gpu in that must be a piece of shit right, all of them were always bad, are bad now, and always will be bad, no matter what's in there right ? (his point of reference was on-motherboard gpu circa <2007)

And he is right on that one.

7850k is at best around R7 240 performance but nowhere near R7 250 or even GTX 650.

APU can't beat discrete card memory speed/bandwidth.

Considering your "debate" just above...oh, such irony.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by 13lake

His explanation was, well the integrated gpu in that must be a piece of shit right, all of them were always bad, are bad now, and always will be bad, no matter what's in there right ? (his point of reference was on-motherboard gpu circa <2007)

And he is right on that one.

7850k is at best around R7 240 performance but nowhere near R7 250 or even GTX 650.

APU can't beat discrete card memory speed/bandwidth.

Considering your "debate" just above...oh, such irony.

That only applies if the discrete card has GDDR5 memory.  Most R7 240s and a lot of R7 250s have DDR3.  128-bit DDR3 on a discrete card isn't more bandwidth than 128-bit DDR3 in a properly built APU setup.  It's often less, as you can pick out 2133 MHz DDR3 for the integrated graphics, while the discrete card often has it clocked around 1600 MHz.

But integrated graphics doesn't have to beat a $100 discrete card to have a point.  If it's not much worse than the discrete card, but is a whole lot cheaper, then that's the argument for it right there.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by QuizzicalThat only applies if the discrete card has GDDR5 memory.  Most R7 240s and a lot of R7 250s have DDR3.  128-bit DDR3 on a discrete card isn't more bandwidth than 128-bit DDR3 in a properly built APU setup.  It's often less, as you can pick out 2133 MHz DDR3 for the integrated graphics, while the discrete card often has it clocked around 1600 MHz.

Oh, so now you are putting yourself on the same foot with people who would pick DDR3 card over DDR5 for the same price...

Good to know, not surprising tho.

Originally posted by QuizzicalBut integrated graphics doesn't have to beat a $100 discrete card to have a point.

It does, because there is no point building a gaming PC that won't game and Kaveri does not provide sensible gaming performance.

For that Kaveri budget PC you need to buy extra more RAM, ram that is often expensive, so that makes it another +40 USD.

Kaveri 150 + 4GB 40 + 4GB 30 + MB 45 + PSU 40 = 305 USD. That is 90 USD more you need to pay for the Kaveri compared to 100 USD CPU.

Instead, you could get a build with R250x/R260x discrete card for same money and abysmal performance difference.

So back to your question:

Originally posted by QuizzicalWhy does that even exist?

I guess your post above illustrates the answer well...