Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trials of Ascension Kickstarter is live!

Show your support and help us put the RPG back into MMORPG!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension/

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

sounds "good" but will have to see more. There are a lot of companies that promise the same thing and really nothing to show for it.

---

Thanks to poster: Wilund

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1536961-Trials-of-Ascension-Shady-Practices-and-the-Big-Crowdfunding-Debate

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Looks fantastic. I love the Dragon player's roar at the end. This game is going to kick some serious butt.

Once upon a time....

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Video makes it sound like there is permadeath.  Might be a tough sell.

I'm just glad to see something different, even if I'm afraid this will just be another sandbox without enough sand. 

Content is king.  That means in a sandbox players need enough things to create, to explore and to fight over to keep coming back.  Its been a long time since I played a sandbox game where this was the case.

Originally posted by Dullahan

I'm just glad to see something different, even if I'm afraid this will just be another sandbox without enough sand. 

Content is king.  That means in a sandbox players need enough things to create, to explore and to fight over to keep coming back.  Its been a long time since I played a sandbox game where this was the case.

You get 100 Life Counters. Then you're dead for good.

To quote someone on their boards "End game is when you have 1 Life Counter left." Then you start over, but there are ways to bequeath your acquired wealth to the next character. Even before that last death, if you want.

As far as content, they are going to be throwing in new dungeons all the time, as they perceive the need. And also new content in the form of "Innovations" (new skills, abilities, etc.). And sometimes those new Innovations will open up new game play, like ships opening up access to new lands.

Once upon a time....

Also, you don't necessarily die, you go unconscious first.

Once upon a time....

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Dullahan

You get 100 Life Counters. Then you're dead for good.

To quote someone on their boards "End game is when you have 1 Life Counter left." Then you start over, but there are ways to bequeath your acquired wealth to the next character. Even before that last death, if you want.

As far as content, they are going to be throwing in new dungeons all the time, as they perceive the need. And also new content in the form of "Innovations" (new skills, abilities, etc.). And sometimes those new Innovations will open up new game play, like ships opening up access to new lands.

The innovations thing sounds pretty rad.  Probably was the most interesting thing in the video.

What didn't sound good was GMs deciding where and/or when they would start certain events.  I'd think that sort of thing would need to be randomly generated because a feature like that will almost definitely be abused.  Calling it now.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Good for them, I wont donate a penny, best of luck to you.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

Yeah yeah they all say cool things then they put it in action and it ends up bad. I just don't trust these type games anymore. Or I should say don't trust the people. I trusted ESO devs and then they through a curve where they had us testing the game for a year and we had to pay them to allow us to do it. But don't worry we will give you pets and costumes.

Just too many of them double talk us. How can anyone trust them anymore.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by BlackLotusDragon

Is it another MMORPG that puts PvP at the front?

Because, yeah, fuck those.

You know, if you can't trust the GMs then you can't trust them under any circumstance. It doesn't matter if they are creating events or not.

I'd rather have GM events than not. It adds to the excitement. And it's a way to introduce story plots that make the game more interesting.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Vesavius

No. It puts building communities at the front. PvP is in because it's a Sandbox that includes real world simulation of community interaction.

And that's a big reason for the 100 Life Counters. If some players want to just keep PvPing just for the sake of it, just to grief, they won't last long. Whole communities will be a looking to do them in.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by wilund

Read this before donating a dime

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1536961-Trials-of-Ascension-Shady-Practices-and-the-Big-Crowdfunding-Debate

That's a bunch of bull. You can see the results of what they've used any donations for in the videos at the KS page or on their website. They've been honest and straightforward about the risks of making a donation to such a project. And they certainly aren't getting any of this KS money unless they achieve their goal.

So what if they've been trying for years? Not giving up and showing some resilience in the face of the overwhelming adversity in making "something different" is a good sign, in my mind.

Furthermore, they've shown their faces many times. It wouldn't be hard to trace their location through their LLC. That's not what scammers do.

Once upon a time....

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I watched the video and it looks and seems like it would be a fun game. but im at the point in my MMORPG career were talk is cheap. untill i get to try it this is all hype. and lucky if half the stuff he says is even in the game.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Show your support and help us put the RPG back into MMORPG!https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension/

I want to see more specifics.
    1) Release of their design document(s).
    2) This includes their milestone (both major and minor) plan.
    3) A commitment to having their entire bug database open to the public for viewing.
    4) A software escrow in case it you go out of business or sell off to someone else that kickstart 'investors' will have a copy of the source code for their use.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    I watched the video and it looks and seems like it would be a fun game. but im at the point in my MMORPG career were talk is cheap. untill i get to try it this is all hype. and lucky if half the stuff he says is even in the game.

I hope you get your chance to try it out, and I hope you like it when you do.

Once upon a time....

No. It puts building communities at the front. PvP is in because it's a Sandbox that includes real world simulation of community interaction.

And that's a big reason for the 100 Life Counters. If some players want to just keep PvPing just for the sake of it, just to grief, they won't last long. Whole communities will be a looking to do them in.

Ahh, ok, PvP focused then. ok.

Still waiting for the sandbox game that doesn't fall back on that particular crutch.

Thanks for the explanation though.

Still waiting for the sandbox game that doesn't fall back on that particular crutch.

Sure thing. At least you know you won't like this game and can look elsewhere for what you want.

Once upon a time....

Sure thing. At least you know you won't like this game and can find what you do like.

exactly, and that's I believe in being direct. I won't be trolling the game for it's choices or anything, I can only wait for the dev to arrive that understands the long term potence of a true quality PvE sandbox title.

Good luck to this and those that support it though. I don't hate diversity in this genre.

Sure thing. At least you know you won't like this game and can find what you do like.

exactly, and that's I believe in being direct. I won't be trolling the game for it's choices or anything, I can only wait for the dev to arrive that understands the long term potence of a true quality PvE sandbox title.

Good luck to this and those that support it though. I don't hate diversity in this genre.

Thank you. I'll be honest, I've been open to a non-PVP Sandbox too. I played UO where PKing was rampant and drove players away. I hated it. It was too "wild westish". And without any means for decent players to stop it.

Good luck to you too.

Edit to add this: This game will have PvE, just to be clear. That's where a lot of resources come from. Even pets have to be captured first from the wilds. Captured, then trained up in skill, and eventually bonding to you.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by waynejr2

I want to see more specifics. 1) Release of their design document(s). 2) This includes their milestone (both major and minor) plan. 3) A commitment to having their entire bug database open to the public for viewing. 4) A software escrow in case it you go out of business or sell off to someone else that kickstart 'investors' will have a copy of the source code for their use.

They had this:

http://trialsofascension.com/roadmap/

leading up to the KickStarter. Maybe they'll do the same thing now for the game build too.

As for the rest of your wish list, that seems...a little extreme. image

Once upon a time....

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by wilund

Read this before donating a dime

That's a bunch of bull. You can see the results of what they've used any donations for in the videos at the KS page or on their website. They've been honest and straightforward about the risks of making a donation to such a project. And they certainly aren't getting any of this KS money unless they achieve their goal.

So what if they've been trying for years? Not giving up and showing some resilience in the face of the overwhelming adversity in making "something different" is a good sign, in my mind.

Furthermore, they've shown their faces many times. It wouldn't be hard to trace their location through their LLC. That's not what scammers do.

Can you tell us why you're advocating this game so strongly? Practically 50% of the posts in this thread are yours. If it makes sense to read up and do homework on an investment, if you know as much of this as the rest of us, why are you telling us to deny our senses? Do you know more about this than you're letting on? Are you a "dev" in this project?

I don't imagine you'd need to say one way or another. It just seems so odd, your hyper-proponency and push to have the rest of us disregard history.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Guess they figured they'd hit us up for cash before crowfall does.

When did mmo's become so needy lately?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I don't know wether that mmo-champion thread holds any truth. but that is why I never have and never will back a kickstarter. it's too risky for me. I can't think of an mmo that has fulfilled it's promises after being backed on kickstarter. AAA mmo's require many millions of dollars to make. but a lot of KS projects are asking for less than 1 mil. how is it possible these "indie" developers can make a great game on such a small budget but bigger companies cannot?

also they explain the fact they are on KS is because they don't want a publisher to get their greedy mitts on the vision they have for the game. which im sure does happen in many instances. but the gaming market is so big these days. you can't find one publisher willing to give you less than a million dollars? you've told us you already have a proof of concept. why are no publishers interested in it?

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Good luck fellas! 
This discussion has been closed.