Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Was The Last Time Your Heart Skipped A Beat When playing an MMO?

Comments

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

EQ so many times I couldn't recall them all, but the description of camping Lizards earlier in the thread sure hit home with me too.  Running from SGs first time in Kern's Tower (god I miss our room we camped in -- so so much fun.

DAOC -- first ever Keep attacks -- and many after that.  First time I realized how much fun my necro was in PVE.

SWG -- first time I realized how much fun I was having doing nothing but sitting around, talking, and buffing other players.  Getting my first factory running.

Last time?  Been a while. I'd mention the game the second poster did, but I already got one warning for that this week!

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Had many great times, but the most breath taking of all has to be when taking 40 man Ragnaros for the first time back in vanilla WoW. Nothing can bring that feeling back.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I know its sort of not an mmo but Destiny has some blood pumping moments.
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    First Jedi I hunted in SWG. 

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Western Wastes /shivers

EQ, I miss you.
  • Sarevok87Sarevok87 Member Posts: 4

First week of ArcheAge launch.  Reached level 50 with just quest gear on my Nuia toon and I was looking for some excitement and maybe to score some quick cash over in Ynystere.  During this time many eastern toons were still leveling, doing their farming, trade pack runs, and building their houses.  For all AA players, we know trade packs and materials are carried on your back.  I spent a whole week in Ynstere being sneaky and killing players that were running trade packs and materials.  I even was evil enough to snag an 8x8 farm spot near the specialty vendor so when I killed these eastern players I could safely store their goods on my 8x8 and go back to ganking.  I tried not to mess with low level farmers but the 45+ toons farming felt the edge of my blade.

I felt my heart skip every time I saw someone make a bundle of stone, wood, or cloth pack and start to run it to their house expecting to make it there without interference (keep in mind the first three weeks of AA launch these packs were worth a lot of gold, time, and effort) and my heart would start pumping, the adrenaline would kick in as I stealthed to their location while they were in the process of using their pack and then slay them.  They'd drop to the ground, pack nearby, and just stare up in disbelief that all their hard work just went down the drain.  

I became known amongst the community. People knew who I was by my look and that they were losing material or trade packs to this one Shadowblade.  It would even get to the point that groups of players would come after me and attempt to uncover and kill me.  Sadly, I wish I could say that the multiple packs I collected made me rich but really just helped my close friends and guildies out with building their own houses, farms, or ships.

ArcheAge started off as an amazing game and slowly went down hill...

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Darkfall every time someone surprises me.  So at least twice a week.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    A mmo hasn't done this to me since early days of wow. Last game to give me heart stopping moments is dayz every time I run into players.
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Honestly I haven't had that feeling since 2004.  First time my night elf walked into Darnassus, under the arch, up the path to stand before that huge tree with the booming music in my ears. I truly felt like I was part of a world. Haven't had that feeling since with every and any mmo I've played since then. Don't think I will ever have it again. 
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I'd have to also say the early days of WoW. Like Vanilla era and actually The Matrix Online as well. Since then the only game to have done the same to me is Dying Light when running around at night. Truely some heart skipping shit.
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

In EQ when 50 was cap....the many turns and ambush areas of Lower Guk leading to the throne room always got my heart beating faster as did traveling the main road through Kithicor forest at night or trying to swim across Lake Rathe when the Kracken was still in-game.

EQ is really the last game where I remember being scared. There were real consequences to dying which I miss.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Not since my first MMO: WoW.

Edit: Actually Tera was pretty amazing, it was the first MMO that made me feel alive, the PvP is pure adrenaline.

• muskeydogbomuskeydogbo Member UncommonPosts: 14

Wow, Nax 25 man to get  "IMMORTAL" achievement  ,last reset before the achievement was gone , Actually took my hands from keyboard cause i was so low though id died our healers kept me up somehow on last boss,, good times.

#best title ever

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    the last time? in eve whenever a stratios uncloaked right next to my exploration tengu in a wormhole and preceeded to drain my capacitor. the only thing that saved me was my buddy in a manticore shooting a bomb at both of us. the stratios freaked out and bailed.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When was the last time, for you, when something happened in an MMO that truly threw you for a loop, or got you scared/worried for your character?

Is it possible to have that happen again? Or is it now too much, "Been there. Done That." with today's MMOs?

Share stories if you wish :)

Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC), 2002.  We were in a 3 realm rvr dungeon called, Darkness Falls.  An enemy realm (Midgard's Rel Por on Guinevere server) came down the hall, all in black, and since DAoC is still unique, the races and classes didn't match ours.  We were different.  We engaged in combat (we as in Hibernia), got rolled, and then watched a second later as another totally unique realm rolled by (Albion, the Arthurian realm) to take on the realm that just leveled us.

So....one moment my elf and lurikeen (hobbit type) and firbolg (giant type) friends were fighting Trolls, vikings, and the like, and the next, we saw guys in full plate and wizards in epic costume race by to engage them.  

Three totally unique realms - (this sure wasn't ESO, let me tell you).  Incredible.  Everything else has copy pasted itself since, or just done away with factions and classes period which is even uglier when everyone is a dps tank mage.  

Yawn, RIP old school. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Probably Vanguard but single player rpg has to be Dark Souls.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

In PVE it has to be EQ. I had soooo many Oh Sh*T moments in that game. Most of them in unrest or sol A&B. My utmost favorite survival story was from unrest, a full group, we were fighting trash mobs and pulling from the house. We got into a 30 minute battle with several groups trains kept getting dropped off onto us. All clerics OOM and meditating trying to get off the life saving heals. Trash mobs kept jumping into the fight ever time one of us clerics sat down to to meditate. It was the battle of the century and we won! No deaths on our side and at least 50+ mobs killed in one continues 30 minute battle. Here Here to the Dwarven Wrecking Crew!

PVP it would have to be WOW. I was pretty dang proud of my hunter winning when getting ganked by a rogue.  Many proud moments all around when pretty much everyone knew the sweet spot to keep a hunter from being able to hit them and still come out victorious.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    This thread is a powerful argument for need for consequences for dying in an MMORPG.  Great stories!
  • Felkin1Felkin1 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Blade&Soul the moment I unlocked skill customization and realized what it was. Spent the next 5h~ just putting 3 mere points (late game you got 30ish) on every skill at a time in every way to see what they did. Seeing a specific skill take on entirely new forms was like absolute magic to me. And im talking on the level of making a Z skill from an AOE DOT to a single target, ranged knockdown ability. Ludicrous levels of customization. It sold me instantly.

I'm the hardcore player, the one that rushes lvl cap before you even finish the starting area.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When was the last time, for you, when something happened in an MMO that truly threw you for a loop, or got you scared/worried for your character?

Is it possible to have that happen again? Or is it now too much, "Been there. Done That." with today's MMOs?

Share stories if you wish :)

Had a ranked sPvP game last night in Gw2. It was a close call. Almost shit myself :U 

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by cmorris975
    This thread is a powerful argument for need for consequences for dying in an MMORPG.  Great stories!

It is.

And people mentioned many examples besides death penalty that contribute to a scary feeling.

-stuns

-silence

-damage spikes

etc

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Mmm.  Let me think.  I think my first instance of when my heart skipped a beat was in COH.  It was Boomtown.  All I kept thinking was.  "OH CRAP! OH CRAP! OH CRAP!  GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!"  It was freaky as all get out.  But it was so awesome.  The only other time I felt that was when I set foot in Tabula Rasa.  It felt like such an original game.  Since then?  I have never been able to get that feeling again.  Like someone said earlier in the thread.  "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt."

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Haven't had this feeling since the original Launch of WoW, entering the gates of ironforge and crossing the bridge into stormwind, I'd really love to feel those moments of wonder in gaming again.

Pretty much every mmo i played afterwards felt like been there, done that.

It's hard to top warcraft for me since I've been playing warcraft since i could touch a computer. ( Wc1,2,3 )

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Playing Starmade a few weeks ago:

I was checking out a MASSIVE derelict station after taking down a pirate base. I was alone and my buddies weren't logged in. Anyway I figure I would blow one of the docked ships, a big one, and collect the salvage. When I targeted missiles and fired I realized the "ship" was in fact a turret that proceeded to swivel towards my vastly outclassed explorer ship. So there is me, desperately accelerating  away as all hell is unleashed behind me. That ship was all I had and being stranded in deep space is not fun so definitely a bit of ass clenching going on. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

wasnt that long ago... back in umm.. early 2000's ? (:

playing Tibia, where dying meant more than a quick teleport to town :o You had to prepare for your hunting session, actually get there (on foot!) alive, hope you get some loot and then make sure you make it back home alive, together with your newly found loot. 

now when i think of it, finding anyone on your way back would make you heart stop beating for a second, because you couldnt know if it was just a random person passing by or someone eyeing your hard earned loot.

dam, just typing this makes me want to play tibia again :/