Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Was The Last Time Your Heart Skipped A Beat When playing an MMO?

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When was the last time, for you, when something happened in an MMO that truly threw you for a loop, or got you scared/worried for your character?

Is it possible to have that happen again? Or is it now too much, "Been there. Done That." with today's MMOs?

Share stories if you wish :)

P99. Sol A. Yeah, that place still terrifies me with the wrong class.

Before that, AA, protecting a big trade run.

So, apparently it is entirely possible, given the right systems... Nothing to do with 'been there, done that' at all. 

Shame the right core systems are so incredibly rare in today's games. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

It happened the other night, I was playing PotBS again and had a ship around lvl 25. I got into a team, or "fleet", who was killing NPC fleets. We had a couple of capital ships, and a few lesser ships like me, all fighting level 65's. Instead of the normal line battle, where the capital ships form a line of battle, everybody kind of went out on their own. A "knifefight" one of them called it.

I got the attention of 3-4 ships all 35+ levels above me. In a short time, my armor was in the red, and central structure was down to 50%. In PotBS, movements are slow, and it is full loot. I would lose my ship, all my mods to it, and any cargo I had on board. As the seconds ticked by, I was running away, taking damage all the time. Finally, I made it out of range with about 10% left.  Not skipping a hearbeat, more like holding one's breath for a few minutes.

On the next fleet, I said I would just hang back, and everyone laughed. They thought I was a goner.

Good times!

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

If we're talking standard MMO's, I would say EQ emu was the last game that did it for me.  Almost a year ago when I was playing constantly it happened multiple times.  Currently though, playing H1Z1, I get that feeling a lot.  Not sure if you would consider it an MMO but I do.  I constantly feel scared for my character as well as get scared when off lootiing houses or moving through populated areas like towns, neighborhoods and commercial areas.

First game since EQ to actually get me extremely immersed and I'm loving it.  At the beginning of H1Z1, when I first got a gun, I was afraid to log my character in because of fear of losing my items.  Love it!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Definitely happened a few times with WOW raids in WoD.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

EQ was the first time (and probably last) it did in PvE (since we are speaking of MMOs).

Every day was filled with skipped heart beat and twisted bowels! :) 

Because of numerous factors, but the main one probably was the sting of death.  You did not want to die, so you were stressed out every time you were in a situation where it was possible.

I kind of miss those days...

Most people are probably against harsh death penalties, and they say that the time it takes to run back is more than enough (even if now there is pretty much none of this either, as you respawn at the entrance or at a 1min running distance at most..),  but to me, they are still the best way to make each fight count.

Anyways.  Fun thread!

It seems to prove that, in order to skip a beat, your heart has to actually have something to lose! :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by olepi

It happened the other night, I was playing PotBS again and had a ship around lvl 25. I got into a team, or "fleet", who was killing NPC fleets. We had a couple of capital ships, and a few lesser ships like me, all fighting level 65's. Instead of the normal line battle, where the capital ships form a line of battle, everybody kind of went out on their own. A "knifefight" one of them called it.

I got the attention of 3-4 ships all 35+ levels above me. In a short time, my armor was in the red, and central structure was down to 50%. In PotBS, movements are slow, and it is full loot. I would lose my ship, all my mods to it, and any cargo I had on board. As the seconds ticked by, I was running away, taking damage all the time. Finally, I made it out of range with about 10% left.  Not skipping a hearbeat, more like holding one's breath for a few minutes.

On the next fleet, I said I would just hang back, and everyone laughed. They thought I was a goner.

Good times!

PotBS was good for that kind of stuff. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

In reverse chronological order:

Rift - every time I jump off a very, very high point (no fall damage yay!)
    TSW - solo mission in the parking garage was spooky!
    WoW - some of the story quest chains

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

In UO back in the day; walking past a rival guild house, wearing a ghost robe repeatedly until they tried to attack me. Ended up taking all their stuff and the house. Since then the only time I get worked up over an mmo is when the UI, grind, copy/paste content gets under my skin. A few raids here and there across various mmo's have held my attention for a bit but other than that...yawn.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452

Eve Online

I had a Caldari freighter that I used for moving minerals into low sec, from high sec, for building capital ship parts.

I used an alt account and two clients to make it work alone. Pretty unnerving, heart was really beating after jumping into low sec.

No losses, but it was close one time, as I was nearly spotted.

A little ashamed of having used the web-to-warp trick every time. :)

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Never.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• GReYVeeGReYVee Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Wouldn't say it was a heart stopper but I do remember being lower level in LFay when my ranger buddy accidently got agro from the Corrupted Unicorn while he was pulling to me. While chasing him it decided to oneshot my unconscious and resume chasing my buddy. This somehow dropped agro as he made it out alive. Apparently I had just enough regen going to not die, but not enough to bring me back from unconscious. So I was laying there in the middle of the forest helpless and waiting for the return of the unicorn. He never returned.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    The last time was EQ2. And as much as I hate smedly, the music starting up for the game still makes me smile, and no one does holidays like they do. I've been looking for my new MMO home ever since I left and not been able to find it. I've been so disappointed why other MMO's that I did what I said I never would and went back to EQ2 (as a f2p player). 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I bet every single min when someone is playing D3 hardcore.

and oh .. last time my heart skipped a beat ... Marvel Heroes ... clicking to see what random hero i get from the box.

Oh yes,  good examples of catastrophic loss or a terrific RNG win, much more exciting  than just dying and respawning or receiving a standard hero much like any other.

In my own case, just this past weekend due to several mishaps I found myself  flying a very expensive Faction BS in null sec when I see 4 hostiles appear in local, which meant they were on the opposite gate from me and coming my way fast.

Managed to log my BS off before they made it to the gate and eventually got it to safety once they had passed.

As that ship was worth basically 1/20th of my total in game wealth, losing it would have stung quite a bit, so would the embarrassment of doing so, and yes, my heart did skip a beat for a bit there.

It would be more fun if that ship worth 1/10 of your total worth?

One more example ... D3, i killed the 41 greater rift guardian with only a few seconds to spare. FINALLY i got to finish Greater rift 41 after many many tries. (and now on the wiz leadership board)

Very exciting at the last boss fight .. worrying am i optimizing my tactics enough to take him down by the time limit.

• bcasnerbcasner Member CommonPosts: 2

First time my heart skipped a beat in a game was in Everquest as well.

I was in an instance called Crushbone and right in front of the doorway into the little castle was a tile that was actually a blood pool, and of course my toon stepped into it and went promptly underwater!   Took forever to get out off.   After the ordeal of getting out of that I had to quit for while to get my heart to slow down! 

Everquest so loved to kill you in sooo many ways.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

This is an easy one. The only game that has really made me sweat over what happens is EQ. I have a Bard on Live and years and years ago a few friends of mine and myself tried to get one of the key items for the Bard Epic Singing Short Sword. Guts from a Dragon named Eldrig The Old In SKyfire Mountains. I had already done the raid parts. This guy had eluded me due to others getting his spawn or just bad timing on my part. I was just coming in from mowing the lawn and a friend called and told me his Iksar Monk was FDed and keeping Eldrig nearby. He said he had a Shaman and Wizard (2 friends of mine on way and to get off my butt and hurry!) You have NO IDEA how (at the time) much I wanted this thing. Anyhow, I logged in as quickly as possible and Bard ran my toon over there. I zoned in to find that another group had zeroed in on him and my 3 friends decided to engage him. He is pretty darn tough and by the time I arrived only the Shaman had survived and still fighting with the other group looking on, undoubtedly hoping we'd fail. I jumped in it and was able to keep it engaged long enough for my Monk friend to return to his corpse. He did not loot though he jumped right back in and we downed him a few seconds later. The Shaman and myself would have been killed most likely if not for the Monk's return. (this was not long after Kunark's release) I have never sweat so bad as that. And over a game no less. 

Lately, I don't really get all worked up about anything. It's all just Meh~ 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Some great stories! I am glad to know I am not alone with this :)

I'll touch on a few of the responses first:

Originally posted by Thane
    my suggestion: never grow up :)
    Words to live by, and I do :)

Originally posted by DMKano
    Happened earlier tonight - I sneezed while playing.
    Well! That is no game to sneeze at! :D

==============================================
    Outside of the game, whenever I am "into" the game, when my phone rings or the doorbell sounds, my heart skips a beat.

Inside of agame, it has been a long time since I felt my heart jump or skip a beat. CoH had a few missions where my group was doing poorly, and the tanker told us to run to safety so we could regroup and try again. But everyone (5-8 players) were all playing heroes. Heroes do not "run away." We finally get the healer to run to the beginning of the mission and then the teleporter followed. The rest would die horribly :)

EQ had quite a few times, especially with MOBs that could blind you. When the screen goes black and you see absolutely nothing it is scarey. You have no idea where the mobs are, what direction you're facing, and can not even see your whole UI, so health and such are unknown and chat boxes are gone.

Also in EQ, when your health was low and still fighting, you would fall down when your health reached zero, and if the mob missed you a few times you could recover enough to get back up. When those fights happen, you start praying no add-ons come by, you will make it out alive, and if not, start planning on your corpse run :)

For those that say they never have, I kind of feel sorry for you, unless that is not what you seek in gaming. I am cynical and am aware that "this is just a game", but if I get immersed and become attached to my character, this kind of thing happens for me. I happen to like it :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    When I couldn't log into the game and then remembered I had gotten a new credit card. Thought I was not able to play for a minute there.
  • Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89

Happened only with two games.

Ultima Online when you went out the cities with your shiny new armor, ready to get your ass kicked by a million gankers out there. That was some intense stuff.

And of course Hardcore mode in D2 and D3 now, it feels the same way.

What does those games share? Well, that you actually can LOSE something when you die - and a lot i may add. It's impossible for me to feel worried about my character in any other game because i know nothing will ever happen to it.

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Probably my first few weeks in EQ2 at launch, which was also my first MMO. EVERYTHING was new, exciting and dangerous. I remember seeing a "red" mob in the main starting zone, a level 14 gnoll I think. I was level 8 so just peering down the beach at that thing was scary...

Well anyway, that is how it was for a new MMO player in those days <grin>

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The scariest moment for me was probably tanking Kelekdrix in Inktu'ta in EQ,  not willing to disappoint the raid and barely surviving all the AE thrown at me. I had full potime gear, but I still was scared seeing my health bounce around like a yoyo.

Outside of EQ I never really heard my heart beat in my chest in a game, MMO have become much easier and casual and raids are smaller.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    It's called PVP.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     actually just a couple weeks ago , as i compelted part of the main Story-Line in FF14 ... really good stuff.. dont want to drop any spoilers for anyone tho
  • AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    UO 20 years ago then TSW then UO 1 year ago again =)
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Probably the last time I could say that my heart 'skipped a beat' was a year or so ago (time frame may be off) trying to fly a bunch of PLEX into Jita and hearing from a friend that folks were getting hit at the gates.  I literally thought I was going to die trying to deliver that stuff. lol
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When was the last time, for you, when something happened in an MMO that truly threw you for a loop, or got you scared/worried for your character?

Is it possible to have that happen again? Or is it now too much, "Been there. Done That." with today's MMOs?

Share stories if you wish :)

Never have gotten that feeling playing a MMORPG, not in the past and not in the now. I have how ever experianced many intense situations.

That feeling in OP's title I do get but mainly from singleplayer games...currently for example Dying Light, multyplayer is sweet but love single player just as much.

I wished I could get that "scare" feeling in MMORPG's, but have to admit I play RPG's for different reasons.