Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do MMO-RTS actually exist?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

In your mind what would you define a MMORTS to be?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Shattered Galaxy was the closest.  Maybe a notch below true MMO (was only like 24vs24 battles at a maximum or something) and no RTS-style economy, but a lot of fun masses of combined-arms units controlled by tons of players fighting against each other for control of capture points.

Most other games that claim to be MMORTSes allow their economies to persist, and so they're nothing like true RTS games, but at least SG captured the fun unit micromanagement of Starcraft.  A persistent economy basically just hands victory to whoever played longest, which of course makes for pretty dull PVP.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

In your mind what would you define a MMORTS to be?

1 - A stupid idea.

or

2 - A P2W browser game.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Axehilt
    Shattered Galaxy was the closest.  Maybe a notch below true MMO (was only like 24vs24 battles at a maximum or something) and no RTS-style economy, but a lot of fun masses of combined-arms units controlled by tons of players fighting against each other for control of capture points.Most other games that claim to be MMORTSes allow their economies to persist, and so they're nothing like true RTS games, but at least SG captured the fun unit micromanagement of Starcraft.  A persistent economy basically just hands victory to whoever played longest, which of course makes for pretty dull PVP.

Hmm. You can't have a MMORTS without persistence so it would seem to me that trying to do this would be exactly what they should be doing. I'm not sure that it is actually viable mind you, but the thought process can only really be in the right place by making it persistent.

Originally posted by Ender4

Hmm. You can't have a MMORTS without persistence so it would seem to me that trying to do this would be exactly what they should be doing. I'm not sure that it is actually viable mind you, but the thought process can only really be in the right place by making it persistent.

A persistent economy would completely break what makes it an RTS, and absolutely ruin PVP.  So no, you definitely can strip out the parts of persistence that would cause a game to be catastrophically bad and focus on the elements that make a game overwhelmingly play like an RTS.  Definitely could've seen a temporary economy work in a game like Shattered Galaxy.

Shattered Galaxy had persistence.  It was just slightly less broken than a persistent economy would be.  (But it was still pretty bad, since a high-level player's units would stomp your own units, and that ruins PVP.)

Remember only RPGs are deliberately about playtime = power.  That's what makes it an RPG (which also makes it fundamentally more casual.)  RTSes are about tactical decisions and execution  (which of course is slightly weird in that they've always been called real-time strategy but always been about real-time tactics, but well...that's what they are and that's what we call em.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

SAGA

Try the game or.... see the movie!

Some relevant info from their site:

We call SAGA an MMORTS because you build cities, command troops, and manage resources like in a traditional RTS, but also go on quests, chat with your friends, join guilds, and trade like an MMO. SAGA is an RTS with battling similar to the Total War series, mixed with city building from Stronghold. Build your army by collecting cards found in booster packs, or trade in-game resources for them in the auction house.

Persistent World

•     Design, build and expand your own kingdom.
    •     Manage peasants as they collect resources to help you build and maintain your fortifications even when you're not online!.
    •     Research and discover new technologies in your quest for total dominance.

Customizable Units

•     Your units level up and gain experience points that persist between battles.
    •     Collect over 100 different kinds of troops and over 50 spells.
    •     Collect loot from fallen enemies to customize and improve your units.

Solo and Co-op Questing

•     Join with friends in Cooperative Mode or battle solo on over a thousand quests!
    •     Create and join guilds which regularly give resource benefits.
    •     Trade resources and troops with other players directly, using the Auction House, and with trade routes.
    •     PvP is completely optional, but participate in PvP for unique rewards including booster packs, troops, and items!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

I personally never saw anything that could qualify as one.

MMORTS seem like a really non-functional idea tbh. 

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

from all the online games i've tried.........Hazeron.......i would like to see something on the scope of that.

-you could create your race

-you could found an empire

-you could colonize other planets and systems

-you could design your ships

-you could design the buildings

-participate in the economy

-amass an army be it with NPCs or players

-jump to the action both in the frontlines and as strategist

then the dev got bored of its little project and instead of giving the IP and the game to competent developers he kept it for himself while doing other projects. a trully sad day....

outside of that i see no MMORTS with enough depth, well, RTS are an old branch of games so theres not much to innovate

Originally posted by xaritscin

then the dev got bored of its little project and instead of giving the IP and the game to competent developers he kept it for himself while doing other projects. a trully sad day....

The nerve of some people, right? Doesn't he realize that we are all entitled to the fruits of his labor?  How selfish of him.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Clash of Clans?

I don't know much about it. But, my room mate and all his welding and fabrication school buddies that come over after school play it. Watched them do it a bit on their phones. They can be all online at the same time their games live with each others, and it goes on still while they are not present (seems persistent). Looks to be fairly large as well but mostly that instanced kind of large. Their actually in a clan together and fight other clans. It has a lot of content and just as much interface from what I have seen of it. At least from an outside perspective it looks like an MMORTS.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

It's been tried. I have yet to see one actually work. The 2 genre's don't really mesh in a very workable way.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    stronghold kingdoms is probably the the closest thing to an mmorts. unfortunately its so heavily p2w that you battle with your wallets instead of your troops.
  • TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    End of Nations was supposed to be an MMORTS, but they eventually scrapped the idea and turned it into some kind of MOBA, i think. It's a shame too, because it seemed like it could have worked.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Nadia

related wikihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_real-time_strategy_games

That list is what I would call for the most part pure rts. I don't think there is a game that is a true mmo/rts. Think more along the lines of Kingdom Under Fire, only make it more mmorpg.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Good memories I had of mankind, the only true MMORTS/X4 game ever made, I'ts still around althou graphic are abit dated.
  • ZeonxZeonx Member Posts: 6
    The guys at Artcraft are calling Crowfall an MMORTS and in my opinion the game sounds great. It may not be what you had in mind if you are looking for a traditional RTS with millions of players, but it definitely will require a lot of strategy and employs a campaign system. I would highly suggest checking it out.

I3WlWd.png
    Click Here To Back the Kickstarter

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    What about Kingdom Under Fire?  I know it's an RTS, but I don't know if its scale can be considered a MMO.
  • apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Are there any "MMORTS" that exists now that don't make you wait days or weeks for your buildings to upgrade or complete building??

I doubt it.

Originally posted by Zeonx
    The guys at Artcraft are calling Crowfall an MMORTS and in my opinion the game sounds great. It may not be what you had in mind if you are looking for a traditional RTS with millions of players, but it definitely will require a lot of strategy and employs a campaign system. I would highly suggest checking it out.

Any source on that?  Their website is woefully devoid of details but I for some reason had the impression this would be a Darkfall-like sandbox MMORPG (with MMORPG-style controls and combat.)

Originally posted by apb2011

Are there any "MMORTS" that exists now that don't make you wait days or weeks for your buildings to upgrade or complete building??

I doubt it.

SAGA

Originally posted by Asheram
    Kingdom Under Fire II

A Dynasty Warriors-like action game with strategy elements isn't an RTS.  It could certainly be a fun game that offers interesting strategic elements, but it's not an RTS.  It certainly doesn't appear to be an MMO.

RTSes are a very established genre from Dune 2 (1992) to more recent games like Starcraft 2 and Grey Goo.  They're overhead-perspective games focused on strategy, tactics, and managing many units.

• FestanoFestano Member Posts: 35
    Kingdom Under Fire II

If only this game actually existed. It's gone in hiding once again and I fear it may never reappear this time.

Anyway, Crowfall is going to be an MMORPG with RTS concepts at heart.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Kingdom Under Fire II

A Dynasty Warriors-like action game with strategy elements isn't an RTS.  It could certainly be a fun game that offers interesting strategic elements, but it's not an RTS.  It certainly doesn't appear to be an MMO.

RTSes are a very established genre from Dune 2 (1992) to more recent games like Starcraft 2 and Grey Goo.  They're overhead-perspective games focused on strategy, tactics, and managing many units.

Mount & Blade isnt overhead- well only on the world map, which focuses on strategy, tactics and building/managing many units.

And the original KUF C/H had everything you mentioned. I played both of the originals and the only thing Dynasty Warriors like was the amount of npcs on the screen and you could play the hero as action combat if you wanted to or you could choose to let the computer play the hero and rts it up.

Last Dynasty Warriors game I played you had no control over your units where as KUF you had full control over them.

Mount & Blade isnt overhead- well only on the world map, which focuses on strategy, tactics and building/managing many units.

And the original KUF C/H had everything you mentioned. I played both of the originals and the only thing Dynasty Warriors like was the amount of npcs on the screen and you could play the hero as action combat if you wanted to or you could choose to let the computer play the hero and rts it up.

Last Dynasty Warriors game I played you had no control over your units where as KUF you had full control over them.

M&B also isn't an RTS.

RTSes don't have a monopoly on strategy and tactics (and by extension, not every game which involves those is an RTS.)

A game's major mode of play determines it's genre.  Every KUF video I've seen in my brief search clearly showed an action game, which means that at best it's an action/RTS hybrid (in the same way that Savage and Natural Selection were FPS/RTS hybrids, though in both cases there was a commander playing from an RTS viewpoint, so they were quite heavily characterized by RTS gameplay.)

And again, this doesn't mean the can't be fun (injecting strategy/tactics into most genres makes them more fun!), just that it definitely isn't an RTS.