Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Was The Last Time Your Heart Skipped A Beat When playing an MMO?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

When was the last time, for you, when something happened in an MMO that truly threw you for a loop, or got you scared/worried for your character?

Is it possible to have that happen again? Or is it now too much, "Been there. Done That." with today's MMOs?

Share stories if you wish :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Probably playing on EQ emu servers.  Fighting over contested content in a scary raid dungeon gets the blood pumping.  Especially when death means you go back to your bind naked and theres a possibility of enemy guilds harassing you on the way back.

I know it sounds harsh and won't appeal to many, but thats why I loved EQ.

I also experienced something similar to this in large scale combat early on in Darkfall.  Wearing my best plate armor riding into a keep wall to wall with allies and enemies.  Fireballs, arrows and magic missiles flying everywhere.  Few games were able to create the type of chaos in a large scale battles that you can otherwise, only read about.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Darkfall

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When was the last time, for you, when something happened in an MMO that truly threw you for a loop, or got you scared/worried for your character?

Is it possible to have that happen again? Or is it now too much, "Been there. Done That." with today's MMOs?

actually it is quite possible, and by far not about how many mmos you played, but how young you stayed :)

usualy grown ups are all cozy and calm, they don't go  full "WHEEEEE!" because that is childish to most.

my suggestion: never grow up :)

anyway, to answer your question, each time we win vs a hard boss that took us some time and we are at 5% or something, maybe a few dead already and the rest of us not much health left, but then we win!

story wise, diablo manages it each time to give me the shivers with it's vids, and most of WoW's cutscenes and developments in story are also quite nice (if you take the time to watch em)

also, TSW usualy manages to freak the shit out of me with each new issue.

for example the story bout the white rabbit had some really decent events, and jesus fucking christ, some were scarry as hell.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I dont remember my heart ever skipping a beat ... ?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Taking it primarily as a 'So awesome!" kind of thing where I got completely absorbed into an MMo and blew me away. Given that, I would say actually Final Fantasy 14 had done that with the Primal Battles. They did an amazing job really making the bosses feel so epic with a combination of visuals, music, and gameplay. Before that I would say it was probably Rift with Akylios fight, it was just such an epic encounter which rounded off Hammerknell which for me was the best raid I've seen in an MMo since Kharazan (WoW) hands down. 

To that extent, i don't feel MMos have filled me with as much wonder as they had long ago. I can recall playing Ragnarok Online for the first time and jsut being infatuated with the game world, or Final Fantasy 11 (my first 3d MMo discluding runescape) just the scope of the world and taking ships around to places or airships really made the world feel alive. Heck, World of Warcraft filled me with a sense of wonder exploring. Sadly, that feeling of exploration just doesn't come about anymore in MMos, perhaps in part since its not 'new' anymore. Often it has to do more with some 'dungeon' or special boss then an actual overall leveling experience anymore.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

EQ, and a few times in vanilla WoW..   Why those two games?  Easy, that is when games still had roaming mobs that could surprise you..  I miss the element of surprise.  Today's games are all static whack a mole mobs waiting for someone to kill them.. There really is no variable or unknown events in combat.. 

Back in the day, an ADD was trouble, and if not quickly taken care of, lead to death (which stung)..  It was always possible to open a door in EQ, and say "SHIT", then run like hell.. or you're just finishing up a fight, and you are down to 33% health when an add "hits" you, and you have a choice..  Stay and finish off the mob for exp, then run..  or just run and fight another day..  Games need to bring back roaming mobs..

• TheDoveTheDove Member Posts: 91

Happens rather often in Dead Frontier, at least for me. :)

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Was on a quest in TSW when ghost appeared suddenly and that moment was scary. Think it happened about 2 years ago.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I don't need to play any game for my heart to skip a beat, it just does that on it's own.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

For a full on MMORPG I would say Darkfall or Mortal Online.. good get quite hairy if you had a lot of gear on you..

Also get the same thing from H1Z1.

Never really had the same kind of feeling from any non PVP full loot games.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Not an MMO, and it wasn't my heartbeat, but I was playing The Forest and got goose bumps when I saw cannibals watching me through the trees about a week ago.  Best heart beat skipping was in Vanilla WoW as an alliance druid coming up out of Darkshore for my first time, and running into 2 horde! Seems somewhat uninspiring now, but it hooked me forever.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    H1Z1 will most likely give those moments at least once per day. Not because of zombies, but because of other players and bears. The bears get me the worst becauseI will be in the zone all immersed and then I hear "roar" have no clue how cclose or where it is, all I know is I need to drop what I am doing and run.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I can't give you specifics but it was probably sometime in early WoW and it involved PvP. I got this all the time in EQ but it was usually while doing PvE and getting jumped by others. Really hard to get this kind of feeling from just PvE, especially nowadays when dying is meaningless in most games.

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191

I can't give any specifics either currently, but i'm fairly sure i skipped a few beats when MT'ing bosses in Vanilla / BC as a Warrior Tank. From Wrath and beyond i switched to Enhancement Shaman.

Come to think of it, i remember i had a pathing issue when charging to Al'ar, which caused some significant damage to the raid.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    For me it was probably when a krol blade dropped off a mob in winterspring in vanilla wow.  I remember that like it was yesterday.  I was in a group with my friends, so we talked about what we should do with it and ended up giving it to our warrior friend.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Not sure about the whole "Skipping a Beat" thing, but I have had pure enjoyment from MMOs as recent as a few days ago while completing the main storyline in ESO; in GW2 about a week ago while gathering friends to fight an open world boss; in FFXIV a few months ago while completing some of the main storyline and fighting Garuda for the first time. 

Sometimes I feel "Awestruck" even when listening to random NPC conversation in GW2 and taking in the view. There is sooooooo much in many MMOs to enjoy. I even enjoyed and had my heart beating the first time I did a trade pack run over seas in ArcheAge.

If you are not finding something in your MMO to be Awestruck, Skipping a Beat, or just enjoying best go elsewhere in gaming for your fun because it could quite possible that it may just be you and not the game you're playing(?).

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    The most recent for me was raiding in destiny. It might not be an mmo to most of you, but it is a hell of a multiplayer game.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207

Early EQ1 got me good one time when a friend and I were camping a lizard spawn in the Feerrott.  That zone was creepy enough to begin with, the ambient forest sounds of critters and very dark.  We were resting between re-spawns, just chatting, when out of the darkness a spectre just cruised up and shwacked my groupmate with two swings of his scythe!  Happened so fast there was nothing that could be done, so I just let instinct take over and ran for the hills.  It was intense!

Darkfall and Eve can really get my heart pumping too.  That's the reward of having real risk in a game!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I bet every single min when someone is playing D3 hardcore.

and oh .. last time my heart skipped a beat ... Marvel Heroes ... clicking to see what random hero i get from the box.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Maybe i'm to old but nothing like that happens to me in games.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Latest one was in GW2 a couple days ago.

Doing fractals for the second time ever with guildies (it's like a series of mini dungeons) on my undergeared warrior (I was playing with gear looks earlier, only when we were inside I realized I still had some healing power pieces of gear on my DPS warrior, no backpiece and almost no runes in my gear, once inside I couldn't switch characters or get to the bank to fetch my regular gear).

It went mostly well until we get to the last boss of the set of fractals, two bosses you fight at the same time, and when you kill one, the other one becomes harder (frenzies and starts using the skills of the first one)... first boss is almost dead, at one point everyone but me was downed or death (in GW2 you first get downed, in the ground losing health, and gives 4 skills to heal yourself or do a bit of damage, if you kill an enemy or heal to full, you rally and go back up), I was running around trying to kill the boss so that the ones downed rally up and go down... losing health fast... as I was about to die, the vengeance skill runs out of cooldown, a warrior downed skill that basically revives you for a few seconds... so I go up again, battle standard is out of cooldown (a warrior elite skill that basically revives nearby allies, it was in cooldown earlier because I had used it by mistake in a previous fight), throw it down, everyone goes back up and kill the boss... so as vengeance runs out I die and get to see the rest of the fight from the ground, but still felt very good about it.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    GW2, till I got stick of the twitch and zerg tactics. The almost dynamic world was really fun. I still log in to PvP but its lost all luster. Before GW2, Rift and maybe still playing Rift it was not for personal reasons. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by Caldrin

For a full on MMORPG I would say Darkfall or Mortal Online.. good get quite hairy if you had a lot of gear on you..

Also get the same thing from H1Z1.

Never really had the same kind of feeling from any non PVP full loot games.

Unless there is something valuable to gain or  lose, death (or rewards)  in a MMO has almost no meaning, nor will they really excite you.

Originally posted by Iceman8235
    For me it was probably when a krol blade dropped off a mob in winterspring in vanilla wow.  I remember that like it was yesterday.  I was in a group with my friends, so we talked about what we should do with it and ended up giving it to our warrior friend.

Many MMO's use rare, powerful drops to get the adrenaline surging, 1st experienced this in Lineage 1 when I got a very rare Invisibility spell book worth more than I could ever hope to buy in less than 3 months of grinding gold.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I bet every single min when someone is playing D3 hardcore.

and oh .. last time my heart skipped a beat ... Marvel Heroes ... clicking to see what random hero i get from the box.

Oh yes,  good examples of catastrophic loss or a terrific RNG win, much more exciting  than just dying and respawning or receiving a standard hero much like any other.

In my own case, just this past weekend due to several mishaps I found myself  flying a very expensive Faction BS in null sec when I see 4 hostiles appear in local, which meant they were on the opposite gate from me and coming my way fast.

Managed to log my BS off before they made it to the gate and eventually got it to safety once they had passed.

As that ship was worth basically 1/20th of my total in game wealth, losing it would have stung quite a bit, so would the embarrassment of doing so, and yes, my heart did skip a beat for a bit there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

In Everquest I was a human druid blind as a bat and in Surefell Glade. I struggled for like almost an hour trying to find my way to Qeynos Hills until I found a way to ask in chat. First MMORPG so did not know a damn thing. I get out finally from the tunnel emerge to an area with rats and bats . I kept running back to the guard for help a lot. After awhile got a bit brave and explored , I crested a hill and came face to face with a ghoul literally right up to my face . I almost screamed I was so shocked then wham bam  dead!

Edit Misread your question thought you meant first .Hmm last was probably in TSW when that Wendigo shadows looming in the underground parking lot in a quest came at me. It was creepy in that dark parking lot and I could barely see anything then this thing leapt out huge as a house. Scared me to death.

Chamber of Chains
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Never has.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.