Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you guys ever get that itch?

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Ive been at this computer enthusiast thing for so long, i usually upgraded every 2 to 3 years at most.

Well, nowadays, hardware has slowed down, so there hasn't been much of a point.  My current setup is ~2.5 years old. Its an i7-2700k @ 4.0ghz, 16gb ram, couple of SSD's, 2x GTX 760's, blah blah

Perfectly good system, havent had a single game i couldnt run flawlessly at 1080p.

All that being said i have 2x now found myself on newegg putting together a completely new build and having to refrain from hitting the buy button...

This happen to anyone else? Basically you start getting that itch and need to scratch it?

The worst part is i recently bought an Acer V17 Black Edition (which i F***ing love btw, best purchase ive ever made), which was $1400 ish.  And now i wanna drop another $1k on a desktop that i don't need all because im an addict.

/sigh.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Spend it on things that matter to enjoying your computer like monitors, speakers, and input devices. I would love to drop $1k on new monitors.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    Spend it on things that matter to enjoying your computer like monitors, speakers, and input devices. I would love to drop $1k on new monitors.

Yeah, if that 1440p IPS 144hz gsync monitor would ever come out so it can be reviewed i might drop a grand on it.  Monitor is probably the thing i need to upgrade the most.

As for the other stuff, i already have pretty high end mouse, mechanical keyboard, etc. Im also using a pair of these as my computer speakers,

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M1Active620

along with this:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Down-Firing-Subwoofer-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0000Y2WY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424235864&sr=8-1&keywords=BIC+V1020

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually when you get that great new monitor, then those graphics cards will have trouble pumping it and you will end up having to upgrade the video card(s) to something like a 970 or 980.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by centkin
    Actually when you get that great new monitor, then those graphics cards will have trouble pumping it and you will end up having to upgrade the video card(s) to something like a 970 or 980.

I like how you're thinking ;-)

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I did the same thing. I finally pulled the trigger shortly after the 980 released.

I may end up regretting it, but so far I have been enjoying it. My old system ran well enough (i7 920, 6970), and if I'm honest, the game about the same on my 1920x1200. But the new rig is much smaller (microATX, compared to my old full-sized tower), and nearly silent compared to my older build - that alone was worth something even if there are no speed benefits.

I really have my eye on a higher resolution monitor (which is part of the reason I went ahead with a 980), I've been on 1920x1200 for a long while now, and I do really like the retina on my Macbook. I've been waiting for a good IPS (or better) panel myself.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

PC components evolve so slowly nowadays that I don't follow it that up close anymore.

In the last couple of years, increases in speed of hardware have been minuscule. I remember when a new GPU literally gave a 100% boost, during the Geforce 2 days, now you're lucky if a new generation gives you 10%.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Just finished ordering parts for the new haswell system today. The excuse? Had a 7950 sitting on the table... Just can't leave a perfectly working 7950 hanging around, can I? I mean, it belongs in a Pcie slot, obviously that comes with a motherboard attached to it, then, well, it needs power, and memory..look an SSD on sale, well then, can't hurt to throw that into a case!