Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My new assessment of PFO

2»

Comments

• markelphoenixmarkelphoenix Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Oh yeah... and that "fan" with the bad language went on another "F-U" rant...

No ban... no suspension. GW just deleted it again.

Stop being coy and just share the 'fan' name.

Check out My Twitch Stream!

www.twitch.tv/markelphoenix

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Originally posted by markelphoenix

Most folks from the GW forums know who it is.  The point is not to call out that player here but to point out the behavior of the GW team in NOT suspending or banning that player.  That is just wrong.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AudoucetAudoucet Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by Ryan Dancey

If you are a member of a Settlement you should be thinking continuously about recruiting new players to the game and bringing those new players into your Settlement activities. You have access to something that is incredibly valuable and that will be the focus of intense competition and activity in the years to come, and all you have to do now is tell people you have it and welcome them to your groups.

I loled hard.

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/1707/?page=1#post-15320

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355

Most folks from the GW forums know who it is.  The point is not to call out that player here but to point out the behavior of the GW team in NOT suspending or banning that player.  That is just wrong.

I'm wondering if this is the same player that intimated, "If PFO fails, it is the Players that Failed".  

Now Ryan, and Lisa (have any of you noticed we are seeing her posts more than his?) are asking us to do some heavy lifting for them.

I will do some lifting for them, but if I don't see radical changes by the end of month 4 of EE, and the server population takes a nose dive, I'll be far more vocal about pointing out their mistakes.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

Be as vocal as you want, but just realize that 'their mistakes' may not be 'mistakes'. They have a very specific vision of what this game should be and have been rather open about it. They've also been VERY vocal about it being year 2 of 5 year cycle toward realizing that vision. To come swinging at them '4 months into EE' is a bit....well,  I lack a kind word to describe that.

Their only mistake, I can see, is by opening up something that is raw to people who made a conscious choice to partake in it when it was raw. Information was pretty available that early enrollment would be for those with a pioneer mindset, not expecting a red carpet rolled out for them. This isn't the luxury hotel, this is the frontier. Year or so down the line, you'll see spa and fast food joints, but right now you got your canvas tent, a tin can to heat water in, and a prayer.

• AudoucetAudoucet Member UncommonPosts: 69

Be as vocal as you want, but just realize that 'their mistakes' may not be 'mistakes'. They have a very specific vision of what this game should be and have been rather open about it. They've also been VERY vocal about it being year 2 of 5 year cycle toward realizing that vision. To come swinging at them '4 months into EE' is a bit....well,  I lack a kind word to describe that.

Their only mistake, I can see, is by opening up something that is raw to people who made a conscious choice to partake in it when it was raw. Information was pretty available that early enrollment would be for those with a pioneer mindset, not expecting a red carpet rolled out for them. This isn't the luxury hotel, this is the frontier. Year or so down the line, you'll see spa and fast food joints, but right now you got your canvas tent, a tin can to heat water in, and a prayer.

It's amusing how your argument looks like a candidate to his own re-election. "Er, don't judge me for my last presidency ! It's an 8 years process, you need to give me 4 more years !"

Eh, politics is it's own beast. Candidates usually end up prospering off past administrations choices due to inherent lag in many decisions and the realization of certain decisions only truly arising further out than the immediate time horizon. Funny part, is the candidates that end up taking credit for the benefit, are usually the ones that vilified their opponents for the very policies that credit a boon for them to wrap themselves in.

My statements are wrapped around the fact that this isn't a 'typical' MMO, nor is this a 'typical' means of opening it up to players. If they had been shady or obfuscated any of the details of what someone is choosing to do when they play it at this stage, I would be quick to call them on it.

There was no rush to start EE, no clamor  to end alpha, actually to get contrary many had said to delay EE until Q2 of 15.   Many of us were also under the impression that the population numbers would have been better, but as a few of us predicted, month one drop off was significant.  Many of us knew there would be difficulty when we could not give away alpha invites.  But those concerns fell on deaf ears.  

What will be the response when the Month 4 drop off hits?  

I'm going to hold onto my 2 Buddy Invites until there is vastly more to do in the game.  Outpost / POI raiding, caravan system and PvP feuds are the minimum content before I make those offers.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

Looks like the player in question was finally perma-banned, but not before going on another rant.  I missed most of it but from what I heard it was an epic meltdown that eventually resulted in his calling Ryan a liar and threatening to sue over the TOS/EULA...

Maybe it will be a wake-up call and the devs will start to realize that diehard fans can do a lot of damage to their game.

This new patch has been a disaster so far with mobs having multiplied like rabbits and other issues.  Hopefully they get it straightened out as I would like to try the group credit for kills changes.  that was really one of the best things I heard in awhile.  No longer will my healer character have to slaughter 10,000 mobs to advance!  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Looks like the player in question was finally perma-banned, but not before going on another rant.  I missed most of it but from what I heard it was an epic meltdown that eventually resulted in his calling Ryan a liar and threatening to sue over the TOS/EULA...

Maybe it will be a wake-up call and the devs will start to realize that diehard fans can do a lot of damage to their game.

This new patch has been a disaster so far with mobs having multiplied like rabbits and other issues.  Hopefully they get it straightened out as I would like to try the group credit for kills changes.  that was really one of the best things I heard in awhile.  No longer will my healer character have to slaughter 10,000 mobs to advance!  

Fanatics of anything are usually detrimental to their own cause.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Lets address a few things.

About 10k kills with a weapon to get it to 'achievement rank 10' This is pretty much accurate. Thing is, it will be MONTHS before you have the experience to even take advantage of anything that comes close to requiring 'achievement rank 10' in a weapon.

Great! So what is the motivation to party, then? Well, loot!

Wait, I thought this was a player driven economy!

It is! The loot is Recipes,

Well, why would I want to group? Why shouldn't I just solo?

Well, the loot comes from a loot table that is tied to the difficult level of the mob. So higher difficult mobs drop higher tier recipes, salvage, and expendables. To tackle these difficult mobs, it is often much safer and more efficient to do it in a group. 

IF you're looking for a highly solo friendly game, right now this is not it.

I took some selections from your post.  Allot of people can't comprehend long term goals in games anymore.  The concept of earning something over time without obsessing over it eludes them.  They just see a big number and go crying on the forums about it.

I like this loot system,  mobs should not drop gear or weapons they should drop broken gear and weapons that's salvaged for mats, then everything is made by the players.  This is my favorite loot system bar none.

Grouping is another thing that the new MMO gen doesn't get, their idea of grouping is wandering up to an event and getting "auto" added" to a group that's zerg killing an "event" mob.  Or sitting in a dungeon finder que waiting to haul ass through a dungeon for loot while communicating with no one except to bitch at them.

So far I like what I hear about this game.  As well as the payment model most importantly.

Well apparently until the most recent bug, which changed monster population and respawn rates, it was in fact very solo friendly for certain playstyles and builds.

If you are a gatherer, avoid open PvP windowed hexes and have some Cleric skills, and all of the encumbrance bonus feats, you could easily solo with very little or no risk.  This us largely due to:

1.  Mobs are stupid and with the initial stealth skill, you can sneak really close without them detecting you.

2.  Harvesting a node does not break stealth.

3.  If your in a wilderness hex that is not a tower hex or adjacent to an NPC settlement, the chances of you seeing another player are slim.

4.  If the hex is not actively PvP enabled, even if you do see someone they won't attack.  They won't attack for three reasons:  1.  They don't know what group or settlement you are with.  2.  They can't tell if you have anything worth while killing you for.  3.  They take a rep hit for it not being an active PvP zone.

5.  Even if you manage to get attacked on that rare occasion, you use your cleric ability for fast travel and heal to escape from 90% or more of your aggressive encounters.

Gatherers are probably the safest playstyle to play, even solo.

i will detail other roles tomorrow..

• Fanndis_GoldbraidFanndis_Goldbraid Member UncommonPosts: 53

Patch EE4 was interesting, but I would hardly call it a disaster. They did have to roll it back to EE3 because they couldn't find what caused the incredible monster spawn (which never manifested on the test server, in any way.) The auction house fixes were extremely helpful. Maybe materials will start to move now (the old interface was very time consuming to use).

The new mechanics for the War of the Towers seems like a good fix. It will allow at least some decent level of training for settlement members and non-committed players in NPC settlements, and provide a need to take additional towers through PvP. Once they roll EE4 back in we should be able to test the theory on that.

New items were introduced that were not announced....several spell-using magic weapons (I think for each class/role, but I can't confirm that). There are dome cleric dagger attacks that use charges, several new weapon recipes (Initiates Greatclub, and a few other Initiate recipes), but after the rollback unlearned recipes show as "? - Not Found" until the EE4 database is rolled back in.

I am happy with the pace of new content, and once settlement construction comes into play, all bets are off!

Originally posted by Fanndis_Goldbraid

Patch EE4 was interesting, but I would hardly call it a disaster. They did have to roll it back to EE3 because they couldn't find what caused the incredible monster spawn (which never manifested on the test server, in any way.) The auction house fixes were extremely helpful. Maybe materials will start to move now (the old interface was very time consuming to use).

The new mechanics for the War of the Towers seems like a good fix. It will allow at least some decent level of training for settlement members and non-committed players in NPC settlements, and provide a need to take additional towers through PvP. Once they roll EE4 back in we should be able to test the theory on that.

New items were introduced that were not announced....several spell-using magic weapons (I think for each class/role, but I can't confirm that). There are dome cleric dagger attacks that use charges, several new weapon recipes (Initiates Greatclub, and a few other Initiate recipes), but after the rollback unlearned recipes show as "? - Not Found" until the EE4 database is rolled back in.

I am happy with the pace of new content, and once settlement construction comes into play, all bets are off!

Pretty sure having to roll back a patch (and it's still rolled back) is a pretty big sign that the patch was a disaster...

Most companies do not roll back successful patches, only those that have huge game impacting issues.  Kind of exactly like this one did.

• Fanndis_GoldbraidFanndis_Goldbraid Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Come on. PFO is at 40%. Surely you don't think being bold and allowing players to help develop a game's early stages and content doesn't have inherent risks? Most developers are too scared to try this. I think it's a smart move to get interested players involved early. Sure, there might be more rollbacks later if things go awry, but with big risk comes big returns. Ryan and Lisa know they are not creating the next WoW and they aren't trying to do so. Not a disaster. Still in EE3 placeholder mode. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by caldeathe
    I've fallen victim to a little boredom the last couple of weeks, but I'm hoping it's just temporary. The holding system should add something, and I anticipate the initial tech appearing over the next 6 weeks.

There still isn't a lot to do outside of hunting resources or resources that fight back with low AI, but they're adding hooks into the system at a rapid rate, and I remain hopeful.

If your interest is PvP, you're going to be sorely constrained by the lack of approved systems and the community's general attitudes. Until they get some faction and feud stuff in place, PvPers will be frustrated and bored.

My assessment (and take it with a large grain of I'm not an experienced MMO player) is that unless you're sufficiently dedicated to the underlying notion of a persistent fantasy sandbox to put up with severe implementation pains, avoid it for a few more months.

You think you are bored now, wait until the crafters finally wake up and realize they are crafting gear no one needs, because there is no item loss and no scarcity of resources.  

If this game ever makes it to Open Enrollement, new players will only join Groups that offer free max level gear or remain completely gimped and skipping up in obsolete gathering / crafting skills to make their own stuff.  

The player economy is completely screwed 3 months into the game, and it was screwed by the PvE player base greedily racing to the top and fighting against every action that put them at risk while doing so.  

This game is a fail until its vision is severally altered.  Common evaluation = the game is boring!  It's graphics suck.  It's game play is incomplete.  It's old gen MMO.  Not sandbox enough to be called a sandbox.  

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

"PLAYER  LOOTING"

as soon as I read that was in the game I stopped reading about it and made a mental note  ......."IGNORE"

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

"PLAYER  LOOTING"

as soon as I read that was in the game I stopped reading about it and made a mental note  ......."IGNORE"

Without player looting or gear decay you would have no risk and nothing for crafters / gatherers to do after he first 4 months of the game.  

There is very very very limited PvE content.  You are better off playing Skyrim and talking to buddies on TS.  Or playing LotRO or some other theme park f2p MMO.  

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

This is happening in SotA and a few other early access games as well. Maybe gamers are starting to get a clue.

Eh, probably not. I'm being too optimistic.

Optional PvP = No PvP