Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So.. who else feels like the theme and visuals are for players below 18 years of age

CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

Seeing the concept and many screens on their website..

why do they chose these childish grafhics is really a big question for me..

What age is this company aiming for? do they wanne be a competitor of hello kitty online?

they say they are shadowbane material.. then they should know that the age of those players are now mid age gamers

whats your opinion about their visuals?

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I love the art choice and graphics.  I don't think stylized graphics in video games have any correlation to age demographics.  They're video games.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Copperfield

What age is this company aiming for? do they wanne be a competitor of hello kitty online?

they say they are shadowbane material.. then they should know that the age of those players are now mid age gamers

Let see, Looney Tunes was made for adults...

so was Anime...

I rest my case.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    I love the art choice and graphics.  I don't think stylized graphics in video games have any correlation to age demographics.  They're video games.

(insert BOOM! Head shot gif)

I agree.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I honestly think games with these types of stylized graphics are probably just easier to make or code. Hyper realism is really hard to design and requires a lot more system resources for both the dev and the player.

I don't really like it, I hated wildstar's graphics. But these games always seem more fluid.

Games that try for realism always feel clunky and buggy.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by WellzyC

The games that don't try for realism also tend to feel clunky and buggy, but they don't look as nice doing it.  :)

I dislike the Crowfall artstyle, looks a lot like EQN, which i also dislike.   But it seems to be the major direction games are going, I guess based on it being cheaper and less system intensive.  

Still paying attention to CF though because Raph Koster is on the team now. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by WellzyC

The games that don't try for realism also tend to feel clunky and buggy, but they don't look as nice doing it.  :)

I dislike the Crowfall artstyle, looks a lot like EQN, which i also dislike.   But it seems to be the major direction games are going, I guess based on it being cheaper and less system intensive.  

Still paying attention to CF though because Raph Koster is on the team now. 

It actually has more to do with the fact that you accept slight flaws in movement from a stylized character but immediately pick up when something is wrong about a replica human.  Nobody really knows what a dinosaur moves like... they've never seen one, but a human you see every day.  You get something wrong with realistic and people notice it immediately... you get something wrong with stylized and they often fail to notice it or overlook it.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I agree

The design direction of these games doesn't always have to do with an age demographic.  A lot of the times it has to do with technical aspects such as back-end and user's platform performance.  Also, sure nice worlds and realistic characters can be created and run decently, but from an animator's perspective the more realistic something looks the more out of place it looks when animations are off.   Loook at Rift, LOTRO, and some aspects of ESO (though I hear they have tweaked a lot with their current 1.6 patch). With a stylized  art direction, you can create some over the top animations that look fun and are often smoother for reasons I won't go into due to it being technical animation mumbo jumbo that wouldn't make sense to most people but is has to do with character polygon count and assets that allow for more key frames/poses and inbetweens (tweens).

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Cartoons were originally created for adults. [mod edit]
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Could you point me in the direction of mmorpgs that are/have target "mature" demographics? Or semi popular games of any type.

Second Life maybe? Shadowbane, no way. Heck, slap M on game and it is even more of a draw for younger gamers.

Unless I missed the memo, don't believe they are targeting 40+ year old men with long hair, dressed in black, listening to death metal. There is no reason games have to age with gamers, kind of defeats the purpose to me. If you expect "mature" content, maybe you shouldn't be playing video games, at least not ones you'd find on this site.

If you can't see the difference between these....

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I'm 33, judging by what I have seen, looks like they made this game for me personally. Thank you Crowfall team.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    High polygon art looks good for only so long. Been MMOing a long time and the games that have stood up the best have stylized art. Most MMOs are making that move. You want high polygon art consoles is where you need to go. Want an MMO, then get used to it.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I'm 33

Only on the outside! Inside your forever young, Rock! :P

(But I didn't get that feeling from the graphics either. Each to their own I guess.)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Seeing the concept and many screens on their website..why do they chose these childish grafhics is really a big question for me.. What age is this company aiming for? do they wanne be a competitor of hello kitty online? they say they are shadowbane material.. then they should know that the age of those players are now mid age gamers whats your opinion about their visuals?

Photorealistic or stylized graphics has nothing to do with target audience, not to say age.

Or do you think Hentai is aimed at children, because it is a cartoon?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Originally posted by Battlerock
    I'm 33

Only on the outside! Inside your forever young, Rock! :P

(But I didn't get that feeling from the graphics either. Each to their own I guess.)

LOL I wouldn't argue, I definitely have an inner youthfulness, you can tell by some of my spontaneous impulse remarks, I think it's a strong case of adult animation domination High Def. video games is like therapy for me to get it all out and face the next day, where for most of the time I have to be an adult inside and out.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, this is an opinion.

Animated/Illustrated content has been made for adults since "since".

Animated shorts used to be shown before silent movies "for adults". Just because a good part of your life and exposure to stylized images is associated with children's cartoons doesn't negate the fact that stylized images can be for anyone of any age on any subject.

So this stylized art design is just that: a stylized art design.

Additionally, there are "adults" who will tell you that video games are "for kids". So really it has more to do with perspective than anything else.

It's more than ironic that you are lambasting something because you think a component is for kids when there are those who think the entire hobby is for kids.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    High polygon art looks good for only so long. Been MMOing a long time and the games that have stood up the best have stylized art. Most MMOs are making that move. You want high polygon art consoles is where you need to go. Want an MMO, then get used to it.

I agree with this, and I'd have to also say, in the graphics and animation, continuity is the most important thing. The buildings and objects have to match the mob models, but if they're a little cartoony that's ok. It's a matter of taste and preference.

With the OP, though, I do agree the promotional art looks... poor. It looks like they're saving money in the art department. I suppose this could render the idea they're trying to appeal to a younger crowd, but I also think it could be better done and appeal to a younger crowd. But hey, you know, some people think Warhol was brilliant, for example, so, whatever.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

If you think Borderlands, Serious Sam and Happy Tree Friends are for kids, but the Mickey Mouse Club is for adults, i'd say it's you who is "below 18 years of age". Not that age is anything close to an accurate indicator of majurity. And not like majurity has a hard definition.

You are playing games ffs. Games (and even more so, video games) are the very defintion of "for kids"  (except they aren't anymore since ages past), so grow up and work, or fight in a war (except that there are children who have to work and even child soldiers. Seems the borders are kinda blurry whereever you look).

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I don't agree Disney and Looney Toons were "for adults". They were "for families", in a slapstick, generally fablistic (is that even a word?) format for the kids (or the "kid in us"), and with underlying themes and over-the-kids-heads, occasional content the adults (parents?) could enjoy, too. The main thing to remember with those is that kids watched them and moreover the resulting products were consistently marketed to children, unlike, say, Betty Boop or more modernly South Park, both of which are pretty obviously targeting adults.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    The graphics could be a rehash of Everquest models for all I care, as long as the gameplay is excellent. This includes what it's setting out to achieve in terms of siege/territory control, but more so about how fluid and technical the combat will be. If the combat is going to feel like Wildstar, count me out. If it'll feel more like TERA, I'm down.
  • caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    People can say what they want right now, when they start playing the game the wiz101 graphics are going to get old really fast. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    I don't agree Disney and Looney Toons were "for adults". They were "for families", in a slapstick, generally fablistic (is that even a word?) format for the kids (or the "kid in us"), and with underlying themes and over-the-kids-heads, occasional content the adults (parents?) could enjoy, too. The main thing to remember with those is that kids watched them and moreover the resulting products were consistently marketed to children, unlike, say, Betty Boop or more modernly South Park, both of which are pretty obviously targeting adults.

I don't know how many old cartoons you have seen lately, but you should go back and watch a few again.  They constantly do, say or make references things that only an adult would understand and identify with.  To kids cartoons are just fun, but to adults they are full of parody and satire.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Ikonis
    Cartoons were originally created for adults. Only angsty teens cry about things being for kids.

that. totaly agreed.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    I don't agree Disney and Looney Toons were "for adults". They were "for families",

I think original looney toons were as they were a vehicle to promote songs. And not songs for kids. That obviously changed.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

I don't find anything childish about the visual theme and don't see this as a style that would be extremely popular for someone below the age of 18. Adolescent players would rather have a visual theme like the one in age of conan or tera online.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Why must a fantasy game have realistic visuals? It is bad enough that boobs are shrinking to practically nothing across the MMO genre. Now everything has to look like realistic - i.e. medieval western Europe. Shesh!!! Though I hate grinding I can see why the Asian MMO's are so popular - the landscapes LOOK like fantasy, the men look like what I would like to look like and the women look like I would like to [you get the picture].