Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not everyone likes garrisons...

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225

Yet, garrisons ARE the expansion, pretty much.  Skip out on garrisons, and you miss some quests and their nice gear like Aviana's Feather.

And this is wrong.

When I play a character in a game like WOW, I picture my character as a traveling adventurer, a mercenary, and NOT a garrison commander. 

Blizzard should not force its story upon us.  If their storyline impacts the world, fine, but allow players to play as they want, and not how Blizzard dictates.  One player from another forum said it best, "Blizzard is once again telling us how we are going to have fun."

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,858
    Blizzard is not forcing you to play their game. If you dont like it, don't play it.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Blizzard is not forcing you to play their game. If you dont like it, don't play it.

^this

WoW is a themepark mmo...ofcourse there will be hand holding.

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225

I don't.  WHEN/IF Blizz gets past garrisons, I may take another look.

However, my comments are valid.  Making all the players into garrison commanders is a mistake, and not sitting well with many.  Good MMO design incorporates freedom and allows players to steer their own destinies, and does NOT stuff a script in a player's hand and say, "Here's the story, and we'll go over your part and your lines."

Originally posted by Pemmin

^this

WoW is a themepark mmo...ofcourse there will be hand holding.

Not talking about hand-holding.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by DMKano Blizzard is not forcing you to play their game. If you dont like it, don't play it.

However, my comments are valid.  Making all the players into garrison commanders is a mistake, and not sitting well with many.  Good MMO design incorporates freedom and allows players to steer their own destinies, and does NOT stuff a script in a player's hand and say, "Here's the story, and we'll go over your part and your lines."

I don't like the garrisons but that doesn't prevent me from logging in a few nights a month and playing the game. I don't feel forced to progress my garrison at all.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,107

Well by the same logic i do not think it is fair that Blizzard force me to do PvP to get PvP gear.... And i know a decent part of the community that hate the fact that you need to raid to get the raid gear even if you just want ti for the looks...

Same thing here If you want the Garrison stuff you do the garrison content.

Fail to see the problem.

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yet, garrisons ARE the expansion, pretty much.  Skip out on garrisons, and you miss some quests and their nice gear like Aviana's Feather.

And this is wrong.

When I play a character in a game like WOW, I picture my character as a traveling adventurer, a mercenary, and NOT a garrison commander. 

Blizzard should not force its story upon us.  If their storyline impacts the world, fine, but allow players to play as they want, and not how Blizzard dictates.  One player from another forum said it best, "Blizzard is once again telling us how we are going to have fun."

So Garrisons is forced upon it's player meaning you can not continue playing/progress if you choose not to take the garrisons quest-line?

Honost question because I really like to know.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,107

No... Not in the slightest. You can play the game the same way you always have.

Just like with all other non-core content such as pet battles and Archeology.

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,685
    Originally posted by Reklaw

And this is wrong.

So Garrisons is forced upon it's player meaning you can not continue playing/progress if you choose not to take the garrisons quest-line?

Honost question because I really like to know.

Sounds unlikely. Mostly the OP seems to want the item he mentioned, but not play garrisons.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

He admits he doesn t play it, but then goes on to say they force it upon "us". I actually play the game and don t feel like anything is forced on me at all.

Random WoW hate I see.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,685
    Originally posted by Soki123

He admits he doesn t play it, but then goes on to say they force it upon "us". I actually play the game and don t feel like anything is forced on me at all.

Random WoW hate I see.

Eh, judging by his signature he should find himself an MMO with no quests at all anyway.

"Don't give us stories. Give us worlds and we will make our own stories."

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,321
    I think they missed the boat with the Garrison's as a whole.  It's a great concept and lots of fun while leveling, but my issue with it is that it's so "controlled" and locked into one way of doing it instead of being what everyone wanted, a type of HOUSING system where you could place "freely" items, trophies, buildings, npcs, etc.  They completely missed the boat with this and made it an over glorified personal questing hub instead of actual housing. 
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

And this is wrong.

I am curious that in that run up to the expansion being launched, how did it not occur to you that garrisons were going to be a big part of it since that is all most people were talking about?

As some others have said, this isn't the only time that you would have to do certain things to get certain rewards, but i don't raid for example, so i have to accept the fact that i won't get raid gear, Blizzard aren't forcing me to do anything, it is my choice not to take part in that particular section of the game.

Would you much rather they just put every reward in to a cash shop instead?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Originally posted by Shadoed

And this is wrong.

I am curious that in that run up to the expansion being launched, how did it not occur to you that garrisons were going to be a big part of it since that is all most people were talking about?

I did not know they would be mandatory, at least initially mandatory.

As some others have said, this isn't the only time that you would have to do certain things to get certain rewards, but i don't raid for example, so i have to accept the fact that i won't get raid gear, Blizzard aren't forcing me to do anything, it is my choice not to take part in that particular section of the game.

When you have to do something to unlock the main part of the game, then that is sort of mandatory.

Would you much rather they just put every reward in to a cash shop instead?

No.  Put stuff "in the world", instead of silly instanced garrisons.  Put stuff in a dungeon, I don't care, but don't make me into a "garrison commander", when that is not how I envision my character.

Originally posted by elocke
    I think they missed the boat with the Garrison's as a whole.  It's a great concept and lots of fun while leveling, but my issue with it is that it's so "controlled" and locked into one way of doing it instead of being what everyone wanted, a type of HOUSING system where you could place "freely" items, trophies, buildings, npcs, etc.  They completely missed the boat with this and made it an over glorified personal questing hub instead of actual housing. 

Agreed.  I once rage-quit in the intro, before I ever got to the garrison.

Blizzard needs to understand the difference between guiding and forcing.  I imagine were they to design some variation of chess, they'd pre-map 80% of the moves just to insert their own dramatic "stories".

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The word cohesion is alien to blizzard, they weight features purely on The ability to keep feeding the regular gear/upgrade conveyor belt that they recognise as being addictive to the addicted. When features in a game consume each other and nothing is done about it then you know something is rotten at the core.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,595

I only get the trial sub level for this new Xpac, so later levels might change.

But it seemed to me, from what I played, that the overall point of the new content was to build and develop your garrison.  Quest rewards were mostly materials for production, for example.

In comparison, pets had their own content, but you still had the new zones where you would develop your character as normal.

All that said, it seemed like a pretty interesting system to me.  Not enough to take my money, obviously...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Agreed, Garrisons should possibly be an optional feature for players who like that type of things, putting too much focus on stuff like that instead of adventuring is bad long term. Wow is risking to loose many faithful players who been there all the time to try to get some people who enjoy facebook games.

And frankly would a farmville styled farm for getting crafting mats been more fun.

• tuppe99tuppe99 Member UncommonPosts: 278
    Now with hindsight, I realise how ungrateful I was when I complained in Vanilla how boring the endgame was and leveling too much of a grind. I would give a lot to go back to it, now that I have experienced the most ridiculous concept in a so-called mmo. Garissons and the professions tied to it is the main reason I finally cut the wow-cord.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

If you never actually made a garrison, how can you say that it is mandatory in order to play the game?  Pet battles aren't mandatory.  Raids aren't mandatory.  Dungeons aren't mandatory.  Achievements aren't mandatory.  Seasonal events aren't mandatory.  PVP isn't mandatory.  Hell even quests aren't mandatory.

If you want to experience all there is to do in game, yes, than it is mandatory.  

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 419
    WOW is a themepark not open world. Your comments make me wonder how much of WOW you have played. I put your statement up with the "why am I forced to raid" and "why am I forced to PVP"? I do not like to raid but there are obviously a lot of people who do and that is ok with me. I do not like to PVP (except for Alterac Valley) yet a lot of players like PVP as well and that is ok with me.

Live and let live. Everyone will be happier.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    In wow you are forced to take the path of least resistance to gain power or you fall behind and be on cannon fodder for pvp and pve alike. garrisons is the current path of least resistance, before that the flavour of the month was dailies.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZanacZanac Member Posts: 4

Garrisons trivialize gear, gold, and resources, because you simply clicked on a couple of buttons.

They ruined professions (along with gating).

They isolated the playerbase from each other.

They promote the idea that the player is a hero, a commander of an army. A concept that is far more fitting to a single player game, and not a MMO.

Garrisons are as optional to gameplay as pants. Nope, you don't need them, but you're at a major disadvantage without them.

Originally posted by Zanac

Garrisons trivialize gear, gold, and resources, because you simply clicked on a couple of buttons.

They promote the idea that the player is a hero, a commander of an army. A concept that is far more fitting to a single player game, and not a MMO.

Garrisons are as optional to gameplay as pants. Nope, you don't need them, but you're at a major disadvantage without them.

A-men.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Zanac

Pants are for the insecure.