Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone not coming back for the xpack?

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by AIMonster

GW2 still lacks strong endgame PvE content and has really poor encounter design, I was shocked to find encounters in Arah kept the same.  One boss you literally stand there with a reflecting crystal held (no actual attacking of the boss required) while dodging a largely telegraphed red circle every 10 seconds.  Others you can just shoot from ranged while avoiding all mechanics. 

They have improved some of the boss encounters during the Living World. Unfortunately they didn't revamp much of the old content

Have you played Silverwastes?

It seems that they finally making what I was expecting Orr to be - a PvE WvW like. The expansion areas seem to expand on what they have done with dry top and silverwastes.

Of course Arenanet idea of end game is collecting stuff and PvP. So it also depends on what the new WvW borderlands map and the new PvP stronghold map brings to the table.

I haven't gotten around to doing Silverwastes yet, but it's on my list.  Did explore all of Dry Top and did most of the coin collections related to it.  I enjoy that zone; however aside from maybe the Queen Skritt I wouldn't really say the PvE was challenging, and even Queen could be overcome with a little bit of zerging.  I was disappointed after seeing the new Tequatl that all the other word bosses and dungeons didn't get the same treatment as him.  I do know they added the Triple Wurms encounter which is very difficult without having an organized guild to run the event, but most people don't even bother attempting it for that reason.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by JJ82

Played at launch, loved it, guild loved it, dominated PvP, PvP changes came in and competition increased, loved it more, competition dropped, got bored and we all quit a few months later after getting sick of it not picking back up. No, we don't do tournaments, if we did, we would be playing LoL where there are pros to fight for a challenge. So, wont be coming back because the game doesn't have enough people that are decent in a PvP game without the trinity handicap...guess it was too hard for them to adjust.

Perhaps if there is a major boost to the games PvP we will think about coming back since its the only real game on the market with combat that breaks the trinity mold that grew stale years ago.

The Abjured are winning the weekly NA cup for 20 weeks in a row. Would love to see them break sweat. But I doubt it :) 

On the EU side competition is much more fierce with great teams like 55hp monks, the civilized gentleman, cheese mode, oRNG and many others. 

And non tPvP teams that play Ranked provide a lot of kick for your money. 

Also the weekly ESL cup is an online tournament, so it costs you nothing to go there. Would love to see a team able to defeat the Abjured in NA. Its quite boring watching them devastate teams every weekend now xD

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I played at launch. I have 4 lvl 80's. I really didn't like the lack of trinity and the scaling. The living story never impressed me....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

*Looks through pages 1-6*  Page 1 & 2 are very interesting considering other threads and comments.

Common Sense.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I really wanted to, but ultimately I just can't get into GW2, I have tried all the classes and deleted them over and over, I never did get into the down mechanic, the lack of trinity and any kind of teamwork in pve left me scratching my head, structure pvp was fun, but again I couldn't get into the classes, I hate weapon swaps, I guess it's just a summation of suttle annoyances in this game that I just couldn't get into it. I really tried to like it, I think they do some neat things with it, but ultimately those minor annoyances get the best of me, I know this so I will pass on the expansion.
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I really wanted to, but ultimately I just can't get into GW2, I have tried all the classes and deleted them over and over, I never did get into the down mechanic, the lack of trinity and any kind of teamwork in pve left me scratching my head, structure pvp was fun, but again I couldn't get into the classes, I hate weapon swaps, I guess it's just a summation of suttle annoyances in this game that I just couldn't get into it. I really tried to like it, I think they do some neat things with it, but ultimately those minor annoyances get the best of me, I know this so I will pass on the expansion.

Elementalists and engineers do not swap weapons. Both classes are very viable. 

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Leon1e

Played at launch, loved it, guild loved it, dominated PvP, PvP changes came in and competition increased, loved it more, competition dropped, got bored and we all quit a few months later after getting sick of it not picking back up. No, we don't do tournaments, if we did, we would be playing LoL where there are pros to fight for a challenge. So, wont be coming back because the game doesn't have enough people that are decent in a PvP game without the trinity handicap...guess it was too hard for them to adjust.

Perhaps if there is a major boost to the games PvP we will think about coming back since its the only real game on the market with combat that breaks the trinity mold that grew stale years ago.

The Abjured are winning the weekly NA cup for 20 weeks in a row. Would love to see them break sweat. But I doubt it :) 

On the EU side competition is much more fierce with great teams like 55hp monks, the civilized gentleman, cheese mode, oRNG and many others. 

And non tPvP teams that play Ranked provide a lot of kick for your money. 

Also the weekly ESL cup is an online tournament, so it costs you nothing to go there. Would love to see a team able to defeat the Abjured in NA. Its quite boring watching them devastate teams every weekend now xD

Underlined for you.

Tournaments are cheap forms of PvP. Open world/zone pvp that runs a constant 24/7 is our kind of pvp, allows for far more to take part in it and is an actual challenge. Tournaments are too controlled and themeparkish for us.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Every said this is the new Jesus of mmorpgs and after playing the game for approx. 2 weeks I gave up. It just felt very easy, simple and like a online single player game.

No. This title has been buried for me long time now and won't be resurrected ever.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

Hello, I played right at launch and got to cap, did some dungeons, grinded a bit but then immediately quit with a couple of buddies and moved on and this was all after playing gw1 for at least 4-5 years straight.

I've recently come back  because we've always been interested in the SPVP and so far it's treating us right. Arenanet has always been really good about balancing their game and it's been a blast with all the new updates. We're really looking forward to the expansion in a pvp sense. We just need to find a pvp home or recruit a few others that can handle the spvp. Cheers mate!

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

I loved Guild Wars 1, and went back to play it often.

Guild Wars 2 is just... meh. I really can't stand so many skills being tied to your weapon like that. I can understand weapon requirements for a skill, but not weapon skills. This is the biggest thing that irked me, and will not be changed by any expansion.

Another thing that really bothered me was that the dodge felt like a tacked on system rather than integral to gameplay. After playing Phantasy Star Online 2 for some months, I don't think I can go back to limited dodging.

Also I found a lot of the games skills themselves to be horribly meh, or just badly done. Did they ever make the Elixer Gun worth taking? I mean really, that thing had so much potential. Squandered.

Questing in the game wasn't so bad thanks to not having that traditional quest log. I did like that you could complete quests via multiple methods. This did not save the game.

Also the dynamic quest system was... poorly executed, in my opinion.

So no. Unlikely I'll return.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    never going back to this game. After hitting max level with 2 characters and farming through some of the end-game, it just got boring. I doubt an Xpac will fix that past a week or so. What's the point... none here.
  • ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    .SNIP.

Underlined for you.

Tournaments are cheap forms of PvP. Open world/zone pvp that runs a constant 24/7 is our kind of pvp, allows for far more to take part in it and is an actual challenge. Tournaments are too controlled and themeparkish for us.

Gank vs Gank is a challenge? How so? How to avoid the gank? All PVP is generally the same and GW2 is not excluded from this, it us just the way it is.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It felt so simple that adjustment wasn't need. That was the problem... 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Yeah, its not trinity, its gazillionity. Because the game doesn't limit itself to just 3 roles. 

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/6131009

Nothing is easy in this fight. Everyone claiming otherwise is officially blind. 

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by bcbully

Pretty much this. There was no reason to delve into the complexity of the combat when it isn't required for the majority of the content. Anet designed a complex combat system. They just didn't design the content for it. I think it was better at the beginning of beta before they toned it down.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Leon1e
    Originally posted by Battlerock

Elementalists and engineers do not swap weapons. Both classes are very viable. 

I'm giving Engineer another shot, I was probably most oriented to play warrior, but Engineer has always been my #2 - maybe I will end up buying the expac we will see

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by bcbully

Pretty much this. There was no reason to delve into the complexity of the combat when it isn't required for the majority of the content. Anet designed a complex combat system. They just didn't design the content for it. I think it was better at the beginning of beta before they toned it down.

Well the PVE is a little more formulaic though I haven't really ran more than a few dungeons.  PVP is more of my type of endgame.  However,  I get the impression it's as you said and that the PVE content isn't really designed to take advantage of the combat except for some of the encounters.   That said, anyone saying that the combat is easy or simple in PVP will be the same person that only uses numbers 1-5 on their skill bar and complain that there are hardly any skills in the game though a player has the ability to use more abilities and combos in GW2 during PVP combat than any other action combat MMORPG released in the past 2-3 years.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I was curious to hear about the expansion pack, but I'm not very excited by it.

I have a strange relationship with Guild Wars 2 - because there are many things I really like about it, and I bought into the hype campaign pre-release.

But no matter how much I try getting into it, I just can't enjoy myself much.

Ultimately, it feels so pointless and shallow.

A lot of MMOs feel pointless these days, but GW2 manages to be extra blatant about having no reason for me to play at all - despite having a wonderful engine and cool stuff like making every area relevant for my character no matter his level.

So, my answer would have to be no.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    To me gw2 is the best mmo out right now. My friends and I are having a blast playing it together. So this expansion has got us all really excited.

Since the expansion still has no release date, Anet is still free to add more content to the expansion then what they previously described.

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Yep, GW2 is in the past for me, and it'll likely stay that way forever. They built a great foundation with the first game, but this was just to widen A-Net and catch another audience.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've been playing casually since launch, gonna keep playing.

I self identify as a monkey.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I will not be. The game is boring and shallow. 

Joined - July 2004

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by d_20
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    Hey, just wondering if anyone who played GW2 at launch and then quit for whatever reason, is NOT planning on returning to check out the expansion.  Basically, is anyone who played completely done with GW2, regardless of what the expansion brings?  If so, curious to hear why?  Thanks!

This is going to be a fun thread to read.

I'm sure it will be full of sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.

This was my thoughts as I read the header. Didn't even get past page 1 before I had my fill of Negative Nancys.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Have an 80 thief, 80 guardian, 28 warrior a few others. I've played off and on and recently tried going back upon hearing of an upcoming expansion. I can't do it. The game is just perpetually shallow - my characters look how I want them to look and outside of structured PvP everything is just so boring.

GW2 fans always say the same nonsense, "well have you done world completion/legendary weapon/jumping puzzles/ascended/etc?" No, none of that is fun. I want to go out and play in the game world, I want to go to dungeons that are fun and engage in group gameplay that is interactive and enjoyable. GW2 offers none of that. You go to a dungeon and people skip 90% of it and even with experienced players it's always a zerg on boss fights. In the game world it's just grind, nothing is compelling or interesting, just go join a train of people and spam stuff.

I don't think the xpac will do enough to improve things as many of these are "design philosophy" of the devs. Whatever, more like "we don't actually want to put in any effort, so here you go."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by d_20

This is going to be a fun thread to read.

I'm sure it will be full of sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.

And combos too, like a rainbow-farting unicorn in the sunshine :D

For the question, /raise_hand. As many other wrote, the game is just too boring, and what's worse (in my case) it's not fun.

I admit I checked back at the PAX event since I was curious how many folks they managed to lure in with the 10 bucks bait, and while it was a short-term fun to check all the changes (I think I even posted about it here), it only lasted for maybe 2 days... then I logged back for a few more days to grab the daily reward, but even that was too boring so uninstalled again.

The only thing I had some fun within GW2 was the SAB. I wrote it earlier a couple times, when Anet folks put SAB back permanently, I'll gladly go back for that :) the rest of the game was meh (to me).