Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm actually glad EQN is unlikely to be released

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Hormone

I had to read your OP again to make sure I wasn't missing something. It seems I got th wrong impression. I thought you'd have wanted some sort of "EQ3" so I was pointing out that for that to happen, because development requires funding, EQN could provide extra funds to make that happen. As it stands now CN has promoted the release of EQN so I can only assume the terms of the buyout included funds to continue its development, which I doubt includes" reimagining" it into EQ3, which would cost even more money and DGC would have to show a higher potential of profit. That model is over saturated in the genre to begin with, not to mention cannabalising the playerbases from EQ/EQ2.

You seem to want it closed simply because of an emotional attachment to what you consider "EQ" and how EQN insults that. I hope I am wrong because it's a view both selfish and immature IMO. More jobs would be lost, the current EQ titles would not improve because of it (even if EQN revenues didn't get transfered), and people who would have liked EQN would never know. I hope I misunderstood.

Frankly i don't care if you consider it immature.  It is most certainly selfish, but all gamers are selfish.  People who want EQN to come out in the form it was presented are no more or less selfish than me wanting it to be shit canned because it spits in the face of the franchise.

Ive already said i have no desire to see it "reimagined" into EQ3.  Whatever that hypothetical EQ3 is.  All i care is that it doesn't see the light of day because of what it represents to me, and people like me, you know, the ones who put the everquest franchise on the map.  So, continue on your pedastel of moral superiority.  I'll continue being dissapointed with the direction of the game, and neither of us will have any affect whatsoever on what does or doesn't happen with the development of the game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Ender4

I'm sorry you could not see the forest through the trees. It never was about bringing back the experience you got in EQ, it was about driving the genre in a direction that made sense just like the original vision of EQ. This is the game that EQ probably should have been but couldn't be because technology just wasn't in place yet.

I'm sorry that you don't have the intellectual capacity to understand the discussion that's being had, and instead inject your own preconceived notions of what i want or don't want, or did or did not imagine it would be.  It was never about bringing back the experience, it was about not shitting on the franchise.  It was about making an actual everquest game.  Nothing, literally nothing, about EQN as it has been presented has fuck and all to do with the EQ universe, with the sole exception of the names.  The art style is completely different, all of the characters have been completely toyed with so they don't in any way resemble their original characters (Firiona Vie with a friggin bow for christ's sake?)

What they did to EQ is the equivalent of taking Bat Man, making him dark green with furry ears and a lizard symbol on his chest, giving him a toyota prius with some guns on it, calling it the batmobile, and having alfred be a green orangutan with a cape, and then labeling it a "re-imagining".

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Do any of the people here expecting EQN to see the light of day know how VC firms run? At all?

No venture capital firm is going to sit around and fund a the development of an MMO for years, for some theoretical payoff at the end.

They want a return on their investment NOW. (Because otherwise, they could have bought something else that would generate revenue.)

They bought SOE because they get H1Z1 (which is almost finished) and the revenue it generates, and revenue from the other old MMOs SOE has, and that they got the whole deal for a cheap price (remember that $60 mil writedown that SOE just took?).

VC firms cut costs to the bone to drive up earnings, squeeze all the cash they can get from dying companies, and then sell what is left for whatever they can get.

Don't expect anything different here.

I tried explaining this to people here the day following the lay-offs.

Simple concepts like short term profitability are lost on most here, and trying to enlighten/educate people on subjects such as these is easier said than done.

Don't waste your breath, good sir. Ignorance is bliss so we might as well let them revel in it.

• MiiuMiiu Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Frankly i don't care if you consider it immature.  It is most certainly selfish, but all gamers are selfish.  People who want EQN to come out in the form it was presented are no more or less selfish than me wanting it to be shit canned because it spits in the face of the franchise.

Ive already said i have no desire to see it "reimagined" into EQ3. a Whtever that hypothetical EQ3 is.  All i care is that it doesn't see the light of day because of what it represents to me, and people like me, you know, the ones who put the everquest franchise on the map.  So, continue on your pedastel of moral superiority.  I'll continue being dissapointed with the direction of the game, and neither of us will have any affect whatsoever on what does or doesn't happen with the development of the game.

Oh the irony. How about you come down your high horse. Just because you can't deal with the fact that there are EQ fans who don't have a problem with the direction this game is going. If you genuinely hate the way things are about the game how about just ignoring it? I know that this concept is not likely in this forum but the hypocrisy is just too much.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DMKano

As a diehard vanilla EQ1 fan - I see where you are coming from.

I watched that EQN reveal stream a couple of years ago - especially all of the propaganda about EQ fans finding their way home - and I got sick to my stomach - there were zero mechanics taken from vanilla EQ1. Major disappointment.

However having said all this - EQN could still contribute to pushing the MMORPG genre forward - even games I don't like or play have contributed to moving the gaming forward.

So for that alone - I'd love to see EQN made as hopefully there will be at least 1 or 2 features that are steps forward no matter how much the rest of the game I might not like.

I'd love Storybricks actually being utilized to full potential - but I have a feeling this won't happen anymore.

Well i am in the same boat,i like to see when devs/games push the genre into something new,however SOE was not a creative developer.

The parkour system has already been bantered about in gaming as has Voxels,still it is nice to see some new additions to games.

However after digging up Voxels and jumping over ridges you NEED a really good game.I cannot stand to play another game of linear questing,no way no how.The combat system imo is a lot like FFXIV's and that is not a good thing.

The whole genre is just so stagnant with creative developers,that is why i went back and played FFXI just way too much content and unique ideas that make other devs look real bad.

Personally i never like Georgeson nor the female they hired a few years ago to handle the crafting,nothing there was done well at all.I never liked SOE's direction for stats,making every class a Stamina stat and one other stat was a real dumb down idea,just because they were too lazy to figure out the stats on gear.

The best thing about gaming is imo TWITCH.tv,you get to watch how little these developers are doing in these games.The H1Z1 has turned into nothing more than CS in an open world and with VERY limited skills/weapons.So much for a Survival design and Zombies.Then watch how little they add to the game since it's so called initial early access build.

My gut says EQn was/is going to be nothing more than a rushed product with a new face,fun for a month then boring like the rest of the games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DrecapzDrecapz Member UncommonPosts: 38

I have faith that DGC will deliver on Everquest Next. Even though the whole fiasco of Sony selling off SoE, I honest believe that EQN will deliver us from the stagnation that we are seeing from MMO's nowadays. Will it be as popular as WoW? Probably not, but if they deliver a solid game, then who cares?

I bet that Everquest Next will see the light of day, and will be do just fine based off the IP alone. Yeah, there may be a few disgruntled players that wanted a reskinned EQ1, but you can't please them all. 

Yes, there is a chance it could be canceled, or they could rush out a shitty product, but somehow I do not see that... but I'm just being optimistic about the whole ordeal. Its ok to have faith, but after lurking around these boards... it just seems that people want the game to fail before we can actually see the New 'Updated' DGC vision. Also I'm bias, because EQ was my first MMO.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

EQ vets were never the target audience for Next. I wish more people would understand this.

Do you enjoy GW2, MOBA's, and Minecraft? If it's a no to all three of these, then you're not going to like EQNext.

Does this direction stink? In my opinion yes, but it is what it is.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

EQN will be released, but I agree to say they should have chosen another name for the game. The only thing they get with trying to exploit a successful IP name is ruining all the IP stands for, much as Zenimax has done with The Elder Scrolls.

If they had just named the game something else instead of Everquest they've have gotten a much more favourable reception from veteran mmo players.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Miiu

Played the older Everquest games and I'm still excited for EQN. And I'm going to stay this way until there is either an official announcement about game development being stopped or I get my hands on the finished product and I don't like what I play.

It still baffles me that everyone is complaining about the stagnation of MMO games, yet when a game tries to be different from its predecessor its called a slap in the face of the one and only "true" fans.

Yeah and how many of these supposed "true fan's" are still active in EQ?  These players left the game for a reason, so why would devs make more of something players left???

They need to shut up and have a go at what comes next (no pun intended lol) to see if there's anything they like in there.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Played the older Everquest games and I'm still excited for EQN. And I'm going to stay this way until there is either an official announcement about game development being stopped or I get my hands on the finished product and I don't like what I play.

It still baffles me that everyone is complaining about the stagnation of MMO games, yet when a game tries to be different from its predecessor its called a slap in the face of the one and only "true" fans.

Yeah and how many of these supposed "true fan's" are still active in EQ?  These players left the game for a reason, so why would devs make more of something players left???

They need to shut up and have a go at what comes next (no pun intended lol) to see if there's anything they like in there.

I left because there is only so much old grafics i can swallow. Alone. If my GF could take the grafics,... i would still be playing. The core game still is better then anything else on the market for my tastes. But as much as people like to deny it, grafics still are a factor.

That is like saying "there is no reason to make a NEW GTA, because only a handfull are still playing GTA 1."

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Apparently none of you have played EQ Live lately or tried EQ2 in the past decade. If you just now feel slapped in the face by SoE then you have been blind for a very long long time. They have been shitting on the series ever since Planes of Power and EQN is when you all choose to be offended? Boggles the mind.

Daybreak was the best thing to happen to SoE. Even if the entire company crashes and burns at least they can't continue this BS cycle of polishing turds year after year. I'll take anything over SoE at this point. Smed is next.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Apparently none of you have played EQ Live lately or tried EQ2 in the past decade. If you just now feel slapped in the face by SoE then you have been blind for a very long long time. They have been shitting on the series ever since Planes of Power and EQN is when you all choose to be offended? Boggles the mind.

Daybreak was the best thing to happen to SoE. Even if the entire company crashes and burns at least they can't continue this BS cycle of polishing turds year after year. I'll take anything over SoE at this point. Smed is next.

This is true. Logging into EQ1 again for fun to see what has happened over the years and I am just boggled at the crap that is normal for the game now.

I will disagree with Daybreak being the best thing to happen to SOE. The best to happen would be them shutting down the division and selling off the rights to a developer who actually cares about the IP, lore and fan base they have built up over the years. Crap will still continue to flow out of Daybreak but now people might buy the product thinking its a new game studio instead of a rename with the same crappy CEO.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Hormone

I had to read your OP again to make sure I wasn't missing something. It seems I got th wrong impression. I thought you'd have wanted some sort of "EQ3" so I was pointing out that for that to happen, because development requires funding, EQN could provide extra funds to make that happen. As it stands now CN has promoted the release of EQN so I can only assume the terms of the buyout included funds to continue its development, which I doubt includes" reimagining" it into EQ3, which would cost even more money and DGC would have to show a higher potential of profit. That model is over saturated in the genre to begin with, not to mention cannabalising the playerbases from EQ/EQ2.

You seem to want it closed simply because of an emotional attachment to what you consider "EQ" and how EQN insults that. I hope I am wrong because it's a view both selfish and immature IMO. More jobs would be lost, the current EQ titles would not improve because of it (even if EQN revenues didn't get transfered), and people who would have liked EQN would never know. I hope I misunderstood.

Ive already said i have no desire to see it "reimagined" into EQ3.  Whatever that hypothetical EQ3 is.  All i care is that it doesn't see the light of day because of what it represents to me, and people like me, you know, the ones who put the everquest franchise on the map.  So, continue on your pedastel of moral superiority.  I'll continue being dissapointed with the direction of the game, and neither of us will have any affect whatsoever on what does or doesn't happen with the development of the game.

No, there is a huge difference between us. The hope of EQN's release was instigated by the company, not the fans, and I am glad that when it does release (because it will) people will enjoy it. Your want of the loss of jobs and enjoyment of others over principals surrounding a form of hobby entertainment are all from you, and all about you. Frankly, if I don't like an MMO I simply don't involve myself in discussions about them and don't financially support them. Everyone is different of course but I find it ironic that in a medium where n people share the same space that there can be such disregard for people outside their sphere of interest.

Which traverses to another train of thought. The communities of both EQ and EQ2, as they stand now, have great communities. Those I've seen rant and rail over EQN, and the current form of it's predecessors, and what it should be do not strike me as the kind of people that would contribute to a good community. When talking about a hard, group based MMO how would this make sense? I know that this would not be the case overall, since only a small portion of people post anyway, but I thought the connection was amusing.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sad state when MMOers/Gamers hope a game will fail. Even if you dont like the game or what its about, you should hope it does well. If MMOs really start failing we wont see new MMOs. EQN is pushing what MMOs can do forward with Voxelfarm and Storybricks. Seeing that alone do well can change how we MMO in other games. OP you really need to adjust your thinking. 
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

FACTS ARE:   The powers that be are NOT, and were NOT happy in the direction of the company and some of the strategic decisions being made..  Georgie and Jeff and others being let go was NOT because the fans didn't support them.. They were all FIRED because their bosses didn't agree with their direction and ability to perform their jobs..

PERIOD.. 

Since obviously the bosses that sign the paychecks didn't agree with their direction, there is equal doubt they will support projects that were deemed NOT WORTHY to keep the "Leads" that were running it..  Will Landmark and EQN ever fulfill their goals?  I doubt it.. I would rather EQN join Titan in the "scrap" bin, then be released as some half assed abomination that many feel it was becoming.. 

It has been discussed before and more so now then before I doubt their was ample hardware technology to run EQN as promised.. Probably why we are only seeing concept crap and words, and probably why CN took action in the downsize.. I'm sure CN has access to MORE detailed information then some stupid "round table" youtube video is talking about..

Originally posted by Rydeson

FACTS ARE:   The powers that be are NOT, and were NOT happy in the direction of the company and some of the strategic decisions being made..  Georgie and Jeff and others being let go was NOT because the fans didn't support them.. They were all FIRED because their bosses didn't agree with their direction and ability to perform their jobs..

PERIOD.. 

Since obviously the bosses that sign the paychecks didn't agree with their direction, there is equal doubt they will support projects that were deemed NOT WORTHY to keep the "Leads" that were running it..  Will Landmark and EQN ever fulfill their goals?  I doubt it.. I would rather EQN join Titan in the "scrap" bin, then be released as some half assed abomination that many feel it was becoming.. 

It has been discussed before and more so now then before I doubt their was ample hardware technology to run EQN as promised.. Probably why we are only seeing concept crap and words, and probably why CN took action in the downsize.. I'm sure CN has access to MORE detailed information then some stupid "round table" youtube video is talking about..

Read one line into you post and its not made up of any facts. Read the rest just to be nice. You dont have an inside source, you dont know anything of fact. You like to spew hate on any topic thats about DGC or the games they make. Even when something is positive you spin it into a negative. If you want any cred on this topic, everything cant be this negative. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Originally posted by Rydeson

PERIOD.. 

TRUE FACTS: 

Of the 3 persons who penned the design for EQNext before anyone else got into the project, two of them are still at Daybreak and are still working on EQNext. That would be Terry Michaels who was and still is the lead of the project and Darrin McPherson who was and still is the lead game designer. The third person was Jeff Bulter, but once the project entered production his job position was creative director which is more a guiding role than a design one.

Source

TRUE FACTS:

Now that Dave, Jeff and a few others are gone, Darrin and Ben Burnett (Senior Programmer) have come out to say that the development will be more cooperative (internally). I doubt that's just because they lost people...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The game was a huge middle finger to everything EQ.  It didn't deserve to see the light of day.  I can only hope it gets completely canned so at least what was once a magnificent IP doesn't get essentially pissed on.

You say it's unlikely to be released.  Where have you heard this, or is it just a wish that it isn't released since you don't like it?

I self identify as a monkey.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I never really played EQ, my pc couldn't handle it back then, however when I saw the eqnext announcement, I thought, OK it looks cool, but it seems very foreign to the EQ I have read about and seen, and that's with very little exposure to the EQ franchise. I guess what I am getting at, is that EQ fans that are glad to see the door closing on next, I get it.

Ive already said i have no desire to see it "reimagined" into EQ3. a Whtever that hypothetical EQ3 is.  All i care is that it doesn't see the light of day because of what it represents to me, and people like me, you know, the ones who put the everquest franchise on the map.  So, continue on your pedastel of moral superiority.  I'll continue being dissapointed with the direction of the game, and neither of us will have any affect whatsoever on what does or doesn't happen with the development of the game.

Oh the irony. How about you come down your high horse. Just because you can't deal with the fact that there are EQ fans who don't have a problem with the direction this game is going. If you genuinely hate the way things are about the game how about just ignoring it? I know that this concept is not likely in this forum but the hypocrisy is just too much.

How is this difficult to process for you people.  I, ME, I don't care, I. >>>>ME<<<<  what I want to happen is not relevant to what YOU or anybody else wants to happen.  >>> I <<< don't want it to come out, not because it will screw over the people who are excited, but because >>> I <<< feel like it was a slap in the face to fans of the IP.

If i ignore it, it doesn't change the fact that its at best diluting the IP and at worst corrupting it.  This is no different than a fan of Star Wars being pissed about jar jar binks and would have been happier if he had not been in it, despite the people who liked him or all the kids who thought he was great.  It was still a slap in the face to fans of the IP.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Considering i played EQ all the way up to LDoN, and PoP was one of the best expansions to EQ, i'm going to have to completely disagree with you.

EQ2 some arguments could be made along the lines, but comparing EQN's changes to the IP to where EQ2 went from EQ1 is like EQ1 being Yellow Mustard, EQ2 being Grey Poupon, and EQN being Ketchup.  Yeah, they're both condiments, but thats about where the similarities end.  EQN was only EQ in name, outside of that, nothing the same.  EQ2 at least tried to create an updated graphics but still with a similar art style, and still kept the world / places in the world intact and had some sort of explanation for why the landmass was different outside of just changing it because they can, under the guise of "reimagining".

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Sad state when MMOers/Gamers hope a game will fail. Even if you dont like the game or what its about, you should hope it does well. If MMOs really start failing we wont see new MMOs. EQN is pushing what MMOs can do forward with Voxelfarm and Storybricks. Seeing that alone do well can change how we MMO in other games. OP you really need to adjust your thinking. 

Thats what some people don't seem to understand.  Why would we want to see new mmo's in the state they are in?  Sometimes things just need to die.  People held onto typewriters for a long time after PC's were invented simply out of brute stubbornness.

The MMO is no longer an MMO, perhaps if we stop supporting these half baked attempts at MMO's, the genre will die, and maybe, just maybe, have a rebirth into something thats worth supporting.  Until then all its doing is perpetuating the cycle.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by azarhal

TRUE FACTS: 

Of the 3 persons who penned the design for EQNext before anyone else got into the project, two of them are still at Daybreak and are still working on EQNext. That would be Terry Michaels who was and still is the lead of the project and Darrin McPherson who was and still is the lead game designer. The third person was Jeff Bulter, but once the project entered production his job position was creative director which is more a guiding role than a design one.

Source

TRUE FACTS:

Now that Dave, Jeff and a few others are gone, Darrin and Ben Burnett (Senior Programmer) have come out to say that the development will be more cooperative (internally). I doubt that's just because they lost people...

And what does any of this have to do with the price of tea in china?  My post was about CN's decision to let go people they feel are NO LONGER of value to the company for good reason.. I fail to see how talking about those that happen to still be employed at DGC justify FIRING over 200 (NOT A FEW) people from DGC.. There is no way business and games will not be effected, and we have yet to hear the real truth..  

If you wish to believe that EQN will be unaffected by any of this, that is your option.. But the facts are still there.. Dave and George and DOZENS of others were LET GO because DGC no longer valued their service.. No spin needed.. TY

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Thats what some people don't seem to understand.  Why would we want to see new mmo's in the state they are in?  Sometimes things just need to die.  People held onto typewriters for a long time after PC's were invented simply out of brute stubbornness.

The MMO is no longer an MMO, perhaps if we stop supporting these half baked attempts at MMO's, the genre will die, and maybe, just maybe, have a rebirth into something thats worth supporting.  Until then all its doing is perpetuating the cycle.

Get it, your part of the "sky is falling" group. MMOs are doing just fine, we live in a exciting time seeing these games pushed to new levels. New systems and new ways to game. Storybrick should end up like Voxel Farms, seeing these plug and play systems added to new MMOs, speeding up production and giving better ways to game. You get new tools and people get creative with how to use them, it opens so many different options. What Crowfall does with Voxel Farms is different then what EQN is doing with them. 

So I could join you and hope games pushing the limits of what we do in MMOs would fail. Maybe with spreading my rain cloud everywhere I may even help the game fail. Or I could be positive, watch creative devs working hard and support their and my dreams of a new and better MMO. FACT IS, people like you have pegged many MMOs as fail that are doing just great. SWToR, GW2, ESO, Rift, TSW. Sure we get some that really fail like Wildstar but even that still has a chance of turning things around with the right people working on it. 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by DMKano

I watched that EQN reveal stream a couple of years ago - especially all of the propaganda about EQ fans finding their way home - and I got sick to my stomach - there were zero mechanics taken from vanilla EQ1. Major disappointment.

This, i actually took work off that day cus i was excited, and then, it was disneyquest

My reaction was the same as both of you.  Finally, after years of waiting and hoping to get EQ3, they presented the complete opposite of what long time EQ fans were anticipating.  I remember watching it, and when the presentation stopped there was just this silence of disbelief from the people that went there specifically to see it Live. 

I think it will launch in some form, but it's never going to be anything the EQ vets would touch with a 10-foot pole.  Unfortunately, I simply do not see the studio producing anything of merit or interest to me anymore either.  Unless someone buys the EQ IP and does a proper job at making a spiritual successor, Daybreak is a complete write-off at this point for a whole lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.