Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anything like WAR for PvP?

ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I know WAR had it's problems, but still, I've yet to find anything that captures that certain... charm(?)... that WAR had. I don't know what it was exactly, but PvP in WAR was amazing to me. Maybe it was the classes (Black Orc and Gobby Shaman were my favorites), maybe it was the intense rivalry between Order and Destruction, maybe it was just good scenarios and intense fun in the RvR lakes. I don't know.

I've tried going back to WoW, SWTOR, and most recently Rift (which is usually my go-to game), but the PvP there just isn't the same. I'd go back to DAoC but the game just hasn't aged well it looks like and I haven't even kept up with all the changes since I stopped playing in 2004 (or whenever trials came out).

I suppose I could try out GW2 again, but last I played (which admittedly was a long time ago) I didn't make it far. There was just something 'off' about it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but yeah. Maybe if I just stick to WvWvW it'd be better. I also own ESO, so perhaps when that goes B2P I'll check out Cyrodil and see if that's any good. Other than those two, the only thing I can think of is Planetside 2, which isn't really what I'm looking for, but hey, it's an option I s'pose.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas for something that's already out or something on the horizon, I'd love to hear it!

-TJ

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Closest thing you will find is ESO.  It's one hell of an improvement on the GW2 PvP and it's definitely more polished than DAOC ever was.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Closest thing you will find is ESO.  It's one hell of an improvement on the GW2 PvP and it's definitely more polished than DAOC ever was.

^Either ESO, or wait for Camelot: Unchained to come out.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Archeage from a pvp perspective only could hold you off for this month till ESO launches. Just be sure to know it will not be worth a long haul. Age of Wushu is very original and has quite a learning curve because its soo different from the traditional styles. But has a ton of unique features and the most innovative ideas for pvp. You can kidnap players when they are offline and sell them for ransom to npc vendors. You can spy on other nations and catch spies.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Some questions:

Can you level via PvP?

Is there PvP specific gear from vendors bought with some PvP specific currency? Or do you just use regular crafted gear?

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Some questions:

Can you level via PvP?

Is there PvP specific gear from vendors bought with some PvP specific currency? Or do you just use regular crafted gear?

They are making a lot of changes so most of that is to be determined.  But yes there is pvp points and gear you can buy but mainly the crafted and dungeon gear is better.  Like I said they are changing stuff.  You will be able to level in pvp once the new game launches.  Right now some of the pvp gear is usefull and some isn't.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I know WAR had it's problems, but still, I've yet to find anything that captures that certain... charm(?)... that WAR had. I don't know what it was exactly, but PvP in WAR was amazing to me. Maybe it was the classes (Black Orc and Gobby Shaman were my favorites), maybe it was the intense rivalry between Order and Destruction, maybe it was just good scenarios and intense fun in the RvR lakes. I don't know.

I've tried going back to WoW, SWTOR, and most recently Rift (which is usually my go-to game), but the PvP there just isn't the same. I'd go back to DAoC but the game just hasn't aged well it looks like and I haven't even kept up with all the changes since I stopped playing in 2004 (or whenever trials came out).

I suppose I could try out GW2 again, but last I played (which admittedly was a long time ago) I didn't make it far. There was just something 'off' about it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but yeah. Maybe if I just stick to WvWvW it'd be better. I also own ESO, so perhaps when that goes B2P I'll check out Cyrodil and see if that's any good. Other than those two, the only thing I can think of is Planetside 2, which isn't really what I'm looking for, but hey, it's an option I s'pose.

Anyways, if anyone has any ideas for something that's already out or something on the horizon, I'd love to hear it!

-TJ

There's essentially 3.

DAoC (or just wait for DAoC: Unchained)

ESO

GW2

If you didn't like GW2, then I suppose ESO would be the next best option. The RvR mechanics for ESO are definitely better, but the combat is a lot more spammy. Furthermore it doesn't have instanced pvp (like the scenarios) and lvling via PvP is much much slower than other methods. It does have rank points similar to WAR's RvR ranks, though. But then again, so does GW2.

Personally I think GW2 is the closest to what WAR had (that or DAoC). But if you didn't like the feel of it in the past, you probably won't like the feel of it now.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by aesperus

-TJ

There's essentially 3.

DAoC (or just wait for DAoC: Unchained)

ESO

GW2

If you didn't like GW2, then I suppose ESO would be the next best option. The RvR mechanics for ESO are definitely better, but the combat is a lot more spammy. Furthermore it doesn't have instanced pvp (like the scenarios) and lvling via PvP is much much slower than other methods. It does have rank points similar to WAR's RvR ranks, though. But then again, so does GW2.

Personally I think GW2 is the closest to what WAR had (that or DAoC). But if you didn't like the feel of it in the past, you probably won't like the feel of it now.

I s'pose I could give GW2 another go. I already own it so the only investment to try it again is the time to download. I'll start fresh and find a PvP oriented guild. Any class you would recommend if I was looking to play a Sword & Board/Tanky/Support character in PvP? I was thinking Guardian but not sure if Warriors could use shields.

I have an early VR level (VR 1, maybe 2?) Dragon Knight in ESO. So once that goes B2P I'll hop back on that and give it a shot. Don't think I even bothered with PvP in it. Was so focused on getting through all the story (huge TES lore nerd, Morrowind being my favorite game of all time) that I burned myself out and just never went back.

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

^Either ESO, or wait for Camelot: Unchained to come out.

I've read up on C:U. It seems like it's a good ways off, but man, if it delivers that DAoC feel I had back in the day, then I'm sold.