Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN cancelled, via lack of proof otherwise

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Sornath
    There is no evidence of cancellation. But if this post is a transparent attempt to get DGC to comment on the status of the game, then  I agree with the OP entirely.

Why would they bother make more when people QQing for new ones are dismissing those already made?

There is been plenty of comments from the leads working on the game on the official forums, Reddit and Twitter that the game is still being working on, that they still have the largest dev team at Daybreak and that they are currently looking at their development plan to account for the lost devs. Terry said they will talk about what's Next in the next live stream.

Two of the three persons who came up with the design of EQNext are still in charge (Terry and Darrin). A Senior Programmer (Ben Burnett) even said that the AI isn't going away (they are even giving it to H1Z1 zombie hordes if I understood properly some tweets).  Darrin and Ben said they want to make this more of a collaborative process internally as well.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

EQN is now dead, the question is whether it will be revived as an undead abomination or not is yet to be answered. I'm completely pessimistic that the game would deliver on same quality and features as promised prior to the layoffs.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Rollgunner

Lack of evidence indicates nothing except a lack of evidence. It doesn't prove anything at all. 

Try and tell that to the internet masses...

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • IndependenceDayIndependenceDay Member Posts: 12

What do you guys base your assumptions on?

Sorry to be rude but are you guys just getting your bodies ready for the shock of a possible cancellation by telling people its going to be cancelled. I mean thats a coping mechanism

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Clearly by all this speculation, the real crux is that people want EQNext cancelled.  It's the same old sport, only this time the buzzards arrived before the carcass... whether it dies now or later doesn't change the outcome.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Clearly by all this speculation, the real crux is that people want EQNext cancelled.  It's the same old sport, only this time the buzzards arrived before the carcass... whether it dies now or later doesn't change the outcome.

EQN may not be the game that people want it to be... but it does have some innovation, and it may lead to something better in the future. Even a moderate success would lead to others looking at what was done here.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Loke666

It seems like bigfoot exists too since it is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist.

In both cases the logic sucks, you have to prove that the game is cancelled and you have to prove that bigfoot exist. The need to proof here is on your end until someone from Daybreak actually say that it is cancelled which a lot of them have stated that it in't.

Your logic is twisted: First you say that it's impossible to prove that something exists. After doing that you ask people to prove that EQ Next does not exists, which by your earlier definition is impossible to prove.

I think the burden of proof is with those who claim that EQ Next exists. Unless proven otherwise, it's reasonable assumption it doesn't exists.

However I think there's plenty enough proof, for now, that EQ Next exists. We'll have to wait like half a year more, maybe then we can reasonably claim that there's no game named EQ Next in development via lack of proof otherwise. But not this soon.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

damn I was looking forward to this game, too bad.

Now someone at least make SWG2. please

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by DocBrody

It wouldn't be even close to the original. I wanted this too, but now I realize, we would only get SWTOR again if it were to be made today.

Man, I miss taking a speeder out on Dath and coming across a group on a Sherman's March towards the Night Sisters Stronghold.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by DocBrody

It wouldn't be even close to the original. I wanted this too, but now I realize, we would only get SWTOR again if it were to be made today.

Man, I miss taking a speeder out on Dath and coming across a group on a Sherman's March towards the Night Sisters Stronghold.

at least we'll have Star Citizen and Repopulation as SWG substitutes

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

There is no reason why EQN would be cancelled; no financial benefit - indeed announcing it was cancelled could hurt Landmark.

There can be a world of difference between "we are working on it" and full steam ahead with a team of 500+ on Destiny or 800+ (many part time) on SWTOR.

Small teams have delivered games - but almost always they have taken many years. Under Sony the team was small; post Sony it looks like everyone will fit in a decent size open plan office.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by gervaise1

There is no reason why EQN would be cancelled; no financial benefit - indeed announcing it was cancelled could hurt Landmark.

There are plenty of reasons EQN could be cancelled.  Throwing good money after bad?  EQN could realistically be years away from anything close to a product that could sell.  Daybreak may not have enough staff left to dedicate to the project. 

The one thing I agree with is that announcing the cancellation of EQN would hurt the value of all SOE/Daybreak properties.

So far all anyone has are a few promises that SOE is still working on EQN.  We all know Smedley cannot be trusted and CN has already made claims that are unsustainable and cannot be true.  IE: about EQN getting more resources after they buy out, etc.

Looking at the available evidence, all fingers point to EQN being cancelled or at very best scrapped into something so much lesser it isn't even recognizable.

1: Nearly 50% of SOE staff was let go. 

2: Daybreak will now add Xbox and other platforms to the projects SOE was already supporting and/or developing..

3: EQN has been in the works since 2009 and has nothing to show for it. 

4: EQN has been scrapped at least three times and started over. 

5: The leads of EQN were canned.

6: The only revenue streams Daybreak has are: EQ, EQ2, PS2, DCU and Landmark. 

When SOE had double the staff, they were failing on almost every effort.  SOE was effectively reduced to selling alpha versions of games for quick cash grabs. 

How on earth can this new company continue to deliver support for their current game cash shops and expansions, add new platforms like Xbox/mobile and continue to develop what has been SOE's largest, longest, most costly failed project and turn it into something marketable?  All while having only about half of the staff they used to have.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Galia
    EQN could very well be cancelled. There is no evidence to the contrary. It very well could be all smoke now, since so many quality folks exited the SOE building. What exactly drives people to make such claims to say the game is still alive anyways, positive or negative? How will anyone actually know, until we get word on this matter? The division handling this game is in complete and utter turmoil at this time. May as well just say ... EQN up in the air. We really don't know.

That's not how proof works.

A lack of proof that it isn't cancelled does not prove that it has been canceled.  However a lack of proof that is is cancelled proves that it has not been canceled.

You need to prove the positive, not the negative.  You need to prove that it has been canceled before you can come to the conclusion that it has been canceled.  Lack of proof that it has not been canceled is not proof that it has been canceled.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Right now, EQN is just concept, proof or not..  Technically, EQN does NOT exist in a tangible playable game that one logs into.. I can be a golf course designer, and I have all these ideas in my head, and I might even have dozens of drawings on the board, etc.. but unless I actually "broke ground" with equipment, that course does not exist far enough to be cancelled..  Concept and Ideas can not be cancelled since they never started in the first place..  And NO, you can not use Landmark as the proof that EQN exist.. 

IMO, you can stop conceptual ideas, but that is different then cancelling production.. I don't think EQN has crossed that line to justify being cancelled.. Automakers play around with conceptual ideas all the time, but when they don't follow their dreams, that is not cancelling it.. 

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Right now, EQN is just concept, proof or not..  Technically, EQN does NOT exist in a tangible playable game that one logs into.. I can be a golf course designer, and I have all these ideas in my head, and I might even have dozens of drawings on the board, etc.. but unless I actually "broke ground" with equipment, that course does not exist far enough to be cancelled..  Concept and Ideas can not be cancelled since they never started in the first place..  And NO, you can not use Landmark as the proof that EQN exist.. 

IMO, you can stop conceptual ideas, but that is different then cancelling production.. I don't think EQN has crossed that line to justify being cancelled.. Automakers play around with conceptual ideas all the time, but when they don't follow their dreams, that is not cancelling it.. 

So the videos and screenshots of the game are...? The game is not cancelled and how do I know? Because the people making it said so and I assume that they know more than some forum poster who seems to have something riding on the eventuality that it is cancelled. 

Also, it is a logical impossibility to prove a negative. Statement: Some horses can fly... Now you prove that they cannot. (You can't.)

Originally posted by Erinak1

So the videos and screenshots of the game are...? The game is not cancelled and how do I know? Because the people making it said so and I assume that they know more than some forum poster who seems to have something riding on the eventuality that it is cancelled. 

Also, it is a logical impossibility to prove a negative. Statement: Some horses can fly... Now you prove that they cannot. (You can't.)

Not sure what you are arguing about or why even address me about it..  I'm just stating that "IN MY OPINION" EQN no more real then concept cars that we see at Auto shows every single year..  When those cars don't make it to the production line, they are not technically CANCELLED..  That line was never crossed..  There are times a concept car such as the Chevy Volt does make it to production, and YES, it can actually be cancelled..  But most of the time a concept car never sees the light of day, and are never technically cancelled..  Get the idea?

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Not sure what you are arguing about or why even address me about it..  I'm just stating that "IN MY OPINION" EQN no more real then concept cars that we see at Auto shows every single year..  When those cars don't make it to the production line, they are not technically CANCELLED..  That line was never crossed..  There are times a concept car such as the Chevy Volt does make it to production, and YES, it can actually be cancelled..  But most of the time a concept car never sees the light of day, and are never technically cancelled..  Get the idea?

Only the first bit was directed to you and the two situations are not directly comparable. If the game had never been mentioned and was nothing more than "on paper", I would agree with you but since it has both been announced and be started at a production level, i'm not really sure how the two relate.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Daffid011
    Originally posted by gervaise1

There are plenty of reasons EQN could be cancelled.  Throwing good money after bad?  EQN could realistically be years away from anything close to a product that could sell.  Daybreak may not have enough staff left to dedicate to the project. 

The one thing I agree with is that announcing the cancellation of EQN would hurt the value of all SOE/Daybreak properties.

So far all anyone has are a few promises that SOE is still working on EQN.  We all know Smedley cannot be trusted and CN has already made claims that are unsustainable and cannot be true.  IE: about EQN getting more resources after they buy out, etc.

Looking at the available evidence, all fingers point to EQN being cancelled or at very best scrapped into something so much lesser it isn't even recognizable.

1: Nearly 50% of SOE staff was let go. 

2: Daybreak will now add Xbox and other platforms to the projects SOE was already supporting and/or developing..

3: EQN has been in the works since 2009 and has nothing to show for it. 

4: EQN has been scrapped at least three times and started over. 

5: The leads of EQN were canned.

6: The only revenue streams Daybreak has are: EQ, EQ2, PS2, DCU and Landmark. 

When SOE had double the staff, they were failing on almost every effort.  SOE was effectively reduced to selling alpha versions of games for quick cash grabs. 

How on earth can this new company continue to deliver support for their current game cash shops and expansions, add new platforms like Xbox/mobile and continue to develop what has been SOE's largest, longest, most costly failed project and turn it into something marketable?  All while having only about half of the staff they used to have.

6.You forgot H1Z1... which is still topping steams top sellers between the 1 and 2 spot daily.

4 I would guess is the cause of 5...

As for financials, how well could they have been funded by Sony in recent years? A company in pure survival mode and has been for quite a while..

I'm sorry but the most detrimental factor here would be in conjunction with leads that obviously had no real idea where they were going with this product, so many failed iterations, means no set vision...

That's why i can't view those firings as anything but necessity if the product is to move forward. That's exactly how this project can move forward into something more than a hodgepodge of ideas on an implement list.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    It was all smoke before the layoffs. Now something might actually get done over there besides a zombie game with 15 year old graphics.

H1z1 actually has zombies? since when? last I checked it was just a open world gankfest/deathmatch game.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Only the first bit was directed to you and the two situations are not directly comparable. If the game had never been mentioned and was nothing more than "on paper", I would agree with you but since it has both been announced and be started at a production level, i'm not really sure how the two relate.

I think they are directly comparable..  You think EQN is actually under production, I do not..  Using the the concept car analogy, EQN in my opinion is asking for input and help in finalizing something that might actually justify production using Landmark as the tool..  Landmark is NOT "EQN Production" it is only a building tool, and is a stand alone game like Minecraft or Trove.. There are no signs that EQN even has hard drive space on some mainframe with an .exe file to run it..  There are not Storybrick NPC running around on any EQN game.. This is clear as to why we NEVER saw anything of actual gameplay. NO mob AI either..  There is no Qynos.  There is no Freeport.. 

EQN is the Chevy Volt, has it crossed the line from concept to production?  NO, I  see no proof it has.. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I think they are directly comparable..  You think EQN is actually under production, I do not..  Using the the concept car analogy, EQN in my opinion is asking for input and help in finalizing something that might actually justify production using Landmark as the tool..  Landmark is NOT "EQN Production" it is only a building tool, and is a stand alone game like Minecraft or Trove.. There are no signs that EQN even has hard drive space on some mainframe with an .exe file to run it..  There are not Storybrick NPC running around on any EQN game.. This is clear as to why we NEVER saw anything of actual gameplay. NO mob AI either..  There is no Qynos.  There is no Freeport.. 

EQN is the Chevy Volt, has it crossed the line from concept to production?  NO, I  see no proof it has.. 

At what point would EQN become a reality?

We have scene concept and "in-game" footage of races, classes, skills, weapons, combat, environments, mobs, and I believe they did show "AI" of some form at SOE Live 2014, although it wasn't very detailed (Dark Elves with the bowing and what not). Might have been demos and staged gameplay, but who are you to say that what was shown at either SOE Lives wasn't actually part of the game? Be it early or complete form.

They shown plenty of details connecting Landmark to EQN where things like crafting, building, keywords, caves/tiers, water, items, etc are basically the same design. They might not be 100% the same in the end, but as Landmark is stepping in as the test bed, makes sense. Going to assume that Pre-Alpha versions of most games don't look 100% the same as the finished product. Just because you say LM is not EQN production, doesn't make it so. When the devs say the complete opposite and they are the ones actually making the game, I'll take their word over random forum goer that has no clue what is going on behind closed doors.

I get the logic that if you haven't seen it, doesn't exist, but you seem to be tossing out and basically calling all the devs liars since they've said that EQN is being worked on.

They could show us "Qeynos" but unless you personally explore every nook and cranny, would you know it isn't just a demo to show off city building? Every building could be empty or just a street face.

Seems like you need the game to be 100% finished and playable to be a reality. Which is fine, but seems to go against the entire process and concept of game development.

EQN is not a car, nor a single item that can easily be shown as "complete." It is the sum of many many parts and they have shown many parts in various stages of development. We won't see the finished product for some time, but that doesn't mean any production hasn't started.

Maybe I'm missing the connection to the Chevy Volt, but they exist last time I checked. Neighbor has one. New model is coming as well. But I'm guessing that it isn't to you until you can test drive it at the dealership?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Excellent point here. I would also like to take this time to announce since I don't know if it is or isn't, I will chose a side and say it is cancelled because no one said it was not cancelled, though even if they said it wasn't, by the time I found out they may have changed their minds and since I won't be told at that exact second, the game is cancelled because I will never be able to immediately confirm in real time that it is not canceled.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    EQN = Vaporware.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Allein

They shown plenty of details connecting Landmark to EQN where things like crafting, building, keywords, caves/tiers, water, items, etc are basically the same design. They might not be 100% the same in the end, but as Landmark is stepping in as the test bed, makes sense. Going to assume that Pre-Alpha versions of most games don't look 100% the same as the finished product. Just because you say LM is not EQN production, doesn't make it so. 

Modern games aren't made from scratch. They use huge amount of code, assets and tools that have already been made for some other purpose. If you start counting those assets as production of the game they'll eventually be in, then even games no-one has yet though off are well into production. That's a stupid way of counting.

EQN can, and will, benefit from assets made for Landmark, but Landmark alone shouldn't be considered EQN production any more than making of Crysis was Archeage production.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Galia
    EQN could very well be cancelled. There is no evidence to the contrary. It very well could be all smoke now, since so many quality folks exited the SOE building. What exactly drives people to make such claims to say the game is still alive anyways, positive or negative? How will anyone actually know, until we get word on this matter? The division handling this game is in complete and utter turmoil at this time. May as well just say ... EQN up in the air. We really don't know.

Perhaps you should have titled this "EQN maybe cancelled because we have seen little proof otherwise " essentially its conjecture but you framed it as fact . It seems titled in such a way to provoke argument rather than stimulate discussion . I'm sure you didn't mean it to be like that because it would be a bit immature and  a silly to do such a thing . 

I think its quite possible this project may either be cancelled or even totally rebooted under another name . I suspect Daybreak may want to develop for consoles as well as the PC market . One thing you can be certain of is that there will be further Everquest games .