Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

something to replace EQ2.. tried so many

nigridnigrid Member Posts: 2

Good morning!

I first started mmo's way back with EQ1 pre kunark, and played eq1 for a few years past planes of power basically until eq2 came out. I loved the grind, how hard it was, that being max level was an achievement the raiding and the fact you needed other people to get anywhere. There wasn't much apart from the graphics I didn't like

I then started my second mmo EQ2 and again loved/got addicted to it, raided at the highest possible level, very little I didn't like again, I am not to sure why I gave up to be honest but I think I just burnt out... the nature of the game and the amount of time it took to get anywhere at the time seemed bad but I now think this is some of what made it great.

From that point on I have tried basically most of the bigger mmo's WoW, Doac, Swotr, ffix, lotr, conan, gw2, gw, archeage, rift, the secret world, and some more I cant remember, the only one that held me for a while was Aion, I liked the PvP and I liked the hardness of it.

The problem I have found with the more modern MMo, is just how easy they are and how there is so little to do end game, so gw2 and archeage I levelled very quickly and mostly solo and then realised that there was PvP to do but not a lot else, very little need to group. With Aion again the end game didn't really require much team work and technical play bar a numbers game how many people can you throw at the opposite sides fort.

I went back and tried the eq1 emulator server 1999 and that was good for a bit.

Now I realise this is how I personally feel and that many people love the end game of some of the newer mmo's but for me they lack.

Are there any mmo's that I might have missed that offer deep immersion, a hard but sensible level grind, the need to group for pve and maybe pvp content, good solid end game raiding, and some sort of commitment from the player, a decent player base?

I keep on considering going back to eq or eq2 but each time I load them up I think I probably played them at their peak and returning might not be such a great idea.

Many thanks for your time

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Once you accept the fact that you can't go home again, you will be able to open yourself up to new experiences. If EQ1 and 2 were so good, you would still be playing them. You are not so they are not. if you want an immersive world to share with a group of like-minded friends you need to understand that the big studios and publishers have not been able to deliver on that in a long time. Look elsewhere. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

eq2 was fun until kunark ...after that meh...

hmmm FFXIV? has a trial , so u can go and give it a try.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Once you accept the fact that you can't go home again, you will be able to open yourself up to new experiences. If EQ1 and 2 were so good, you would still be playing them. You are not so they are not. if you want an immersive world to share with a group of like-minded friends you need to understand that the big studios and publishers have not been able to deliver on that in a long time. Look elsewhere. 

EQ1 is great until you get so many expansions in that the game changes from what it was at launch.  That is why people aren't playing it now that loved it, not because their tastes changed...the game changed via expansions.  This is why the Time Locked Progression servers are such a big hit when they launch and then weaken as they unlock more and more expansions.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

edit: deleted

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Nothing can replace EQ2. Once you make peace with that fact you will be able to enjoy other mmos. I too get a feeling of meh every now and then while playing new MMOS and that is why i am glad i got EQ2 to come back to.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by nigrid

Good morning!

I first started mmo's way back with EQ1 pre kunark, and played eq1 for a few years past planes of power basically until eq2 came out. I loved the grind, how hard it was, that being max level was an achievement the raiding and the fact you needed other people to get anywhere. There wasn't much apart from the graphics I didn't like

I then started my second mmo EQ2 and again loved/got addicted to it, raided at the highest possible level, very little I didn't like again, I am not to sure why I gave up to be honest but I think I just burnt out... the nature of the game and the amount of time it took to get anywhere at the time seemed bad but I now think this is some of what made it great.

I hear ya.  I share the same roots as you, and appreciate the style and experience that EQ and EQ2 brought to the table. 

From that point on I have tried basically most of the bigger mmo's WoW, Doac, Swotr, ffix, lotr, conan, gw2, gw, archeage, rift, the secret world, and some more I cant remember, the only one that held me for a while was Aion, I liked the PvP and I liked the hardness of it.

I spent a lot of time bouncing between EQ2 and WoW when WoW was still in it's vanilla phase.  Fun experience then.  I loved DAoC, mostly for the classes and the PvP.  LoTRO was fun for a while as well.  Conan, hmm..only tried it for a month, and Rift I played sporadically.  GW2 was fun, but I have strong opinions on their shift of focus, and their management team. 

The problem I have found with the more modern MMo, is just how easy they are and how there is so little to do end game, so gw2 and archeage I levelled very quickly and mostly solo and then realised that there was PvP to do but not a lot else, very little need to group. With Aion again the end game didn't really require much team work and technical play bar a numbers game how many people can you throw at the opposite sides fort.

Are there any mmo's that I might have missed that offer deep immersion, a hard but sensible level grind, the need to group for pve and maybe pvp content, good solid end game raiding, and some sort of commitment from the player, a decent player base?

Right now, I'm playing ESO.  It's deep, offers a great PVE and very active PvP scene, and it's very social.   Don't listen to the negative nancy's here about the game.  The community that actually plays the game is quite awesome.  Anyway, it's something to consider.  I'll link you to a Reddit community page so you can read and ask questions there if you'd like.

I keep on considering going back to eq or eq2 but each time I load them up I think I probably played them at their peak and returning might not be such a great idea.

Yeah, I'd hold off on going back.  Right now it's a mess over there with the acquisition and firings.  Who knows how it will pan out.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Why not giving Lienage 2 a try? It is old school, grindy and looks at least acceptable.

And I played EQ2 myself for 5 years, the game is just not what it once was, for me the beginning of the end was the Kunark expanion and the opening of all those teleporters everywhere. It did used to be fun. :(

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    EQ2 still has what your looking for!
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I can say that you won't find what you are looking for in most recent MMOs. FFXIV and TESO are the only ones that might be a bit slower and harder, but even then.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     LOTRO or FF14  or just stick with EQ2 .. still a great game .. maybe just need a break
  • joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    While its going to sound silly there are only two things that keep me away from eq2... the lack of real robes and I can never seem to find other players

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I used to play the hell out of EQ2 for a year straight then just burned out. This could be your problem as well, which sucks. I saw that you tried Final Fantasy 11, perhaps give 14 a try (like the others talked about) It is my new home and I can't get enough of it! If anything, try another F2P like Neverwinter or TERA perhaps, those two seem to be the quickest to jump in and out of.
  • nigridnigrid Member Posts: 2

many thanks for all your replies

I have reloaded up FFxiv and I have to say its grabbing my attention, enjoying the levelling and have hopes for the end game, best thing is that there are actually ALOT of people about

cheers

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

The games you listed have the stuff you are searching for. Odd you must have missed something. Should try joining a guild and asking people for the end game pve content or raiding. Seriously every game you listed has a lot of endgame content with large and small scale pve and some of them offer the same for pvp.

Are you onto something or just on something?