Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's my video card? Upgrade options?

dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Hello!  I have a Sony Vaio I believe E series laptop.  I found out how to upgrade my RAM on my own (been running on 8GB, upgrading to 16).  What I want to know is how my video card compares, and if it is upgradable.  I have an AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M series 2GB.  I have heard that Sony Vaio laptops usually can't upgrade the video card due to it being integrated with something else?  Is that true?  If so is there any way to upgrade the video card and what its attached to, or would that be as expensive as buying a new laptop?  Also, if I can't upgrade it, is that at least a decent video card?  I usually haven't had problems running MMOs and other games so far. 

Lastly, my GPU is Inel Core i7 3632QM Ivy Bridge CPU @ 2.20GHz.  How does that stack up these days?

Thanks for any help and opinions!

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

It's rare for laptop video cards to be upgradeable outside of doing outlandish stuff that will, at minimum, void the warranty, and probably also run a serious risk of destroying the laptop entirely.  The upgrade option is to get a desktop, or at least a better laptop.  But preferably a desktop, as the desktop will have upgrade options in the future.

What you have is basically a lower clocked version of a desktop Radeon HD 6570.  As laptops go, it's a fairly capable GPU, so nearly all games should be playable, though typically at reduced graphical settings.  It should be competitive with modern AMD integrated graphics.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Quizzical

It's rare for laptop video cards to be upgradeable outside of doing outlandish stuff that will, at minimum, void the warranty, and probably also run a serious risk of destroying the laptop entirely.  The upgrade option is to get a desktop, or at least a better laptop.  But preferably a desktop, as the desktop will have upgrade options in the future.

What you have is basically a lower clocked version of a desktop Radeon HD 6570.  As laptops go, it's a fairly capable GPU, so nearly all games should be playable, though typically at reduced graphical settings.  It should be competitive with modern AMD integrated graphics.

All of this is correct, not only that but in the rare situations where you can upgrade a GPU in a laptop it is UNGODLY expensive.

I would also concur that unless you NEED a laptop, your best bet would be to get a desktop to use as a gaming computer.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I would also concur that unless you NEED a laptop, your best bet would be to get a desktop to use as a gaming computer.

I would add that if you need a laptop for whatever reason, you've already got one and can use it for whatever you need a laptop for.  You can add a desktop for gaming and still keep the laptop.  Gaming laptops really only makes sense for people who travel and want to play games away from home.  The best example is a business traveler who lives in hotels for months per year and wants to play games there.