Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SWTOR Pay To Win? I Heard You Can Buy Best Items On The Ingame Store

I have not played SWTOR for a long time due to neglecting it heavily in favor of Planetside 2 and Star trek Online and it is pretty hard to manage dedicating your time to more than 2 MMO's at once. I heard you can buy the best items on the ingame store, is this true?

I am currently looking for a 3rd mmo to play since I might quit star trek online because the devs in STO are neglecting pvp and pvp is what keeps me playing a MMO for over 1 year. I was thinking of returning to SWTOR but is it really pay to win? It is either WoW or SWTOR. 

One thing that really bothers me about SWTOR is the total world size currently is only about as big as Vanilla WoW which is pretty pathetic and the planets don't seem so open world which also makes me mad. If there is a new expansion this year, they should make all the planets bigger with end game high level content on every current planet and more new planets that are huge and really feel like an open world mmo and all the new planets should have world pvp. 

Comments

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    u heard wrong
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by ImperatorBellus

I have not played SWTOR for a long time due to neglecting it heavily in favor of Planetside 2 and Star trek Online and it is pretty hard to manage dedicating your time to more than 2 MMO's at once. I heard you can buy the best items on the ingame store, is this true?

I am currently looking for a 3rd mmo to play since I might quit star trek online because the devs in STO are neglecting pvp and pvp is what keeps me playing a MMO for over 1 year. I was thinking of returning to SWTOR but is it really pay to win? It is either WoW or SWTOR. 

One thing that really bothers me about SWTOR is the total world size currently is only about as big as Vanilla WoW which is pretty pathetic and the planets don't seem so open world which also makes me mad. If there is a new expansion this year, they should make all the planets bigger with end game high level content on every current planet and more new planets that are huge and really feel like an open world mmo and all the new planets should have world pvp. 

If you think of player auction house, yes you can buy almost best items. If you think of cash shop, no yo u cant buy them directly from cash shop.

But bottom line is, if PvP is your game SWTOR is definitely not game for you.

If youre into PvP either look at GW2 or ESO.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Not in the "cash shop", and not in the AH either since the best gear is all BoP. There are some upgrades you can buy there that'll help fasttrack the process into raiding. Pretty much the same deal as with WoW's epics IIRC - you can buy some purple gear to help you get raid ready, but the best stuff's all BoP, so you still need to work for that.

If there is a new expansion this year, they should make all the planets bigger with end game high level content on every current planet and more new planets that are huge and really feel like an open world mmo and all the new planets should have world pvp. 

Open world PvP's NEVER happening*. They never advertised the game as such, and never will. Doing a complete 180° on that would result in trading in 90% of their current player base in exchange for a small hardcore minority. Not really something any sane company will do. (Not to mention all the development time it'd take)

You'd be better off with ArcheAge or one of the upcoming MMOs if that's what you're really into.

* At least not the non-consentual kind where you can gank whoever you want. It exists in several small areas, but other than that the only way to get that would be playing on a PvP server.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    No it is not pay2win. Best items that actually have impact on gameplay can only be obtained in game. But if you are f2p you can not use them without purchasing the artifact equipment authorization and frankly you don't need to with the f2p restriction they have in place. If you are f2p simply play the best of swtor; the class story and be on your way since the endgame at 50 is really not worth the trouble.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by jesteralways
    No it is not pay2win. Best items that actually have impact on gameplay can only be obtained in game. But if you are f2p you can not use them without purchasing the artifact equipment authorization and frankly you don't need to with the f2p restriction they have in place. If you are f2p simply play the best of swtor; the class story and be on your way since the endgame at 50 is really not worth the trouble.

It's at 60 these days. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

Devs neglect the pvp in this game too. There's zero new content on the horizon, ranked participation is low and poor, and 4v4 arenas(which are a best 2 out of 3 mode, unusual) are in the rotation with the 8v8 warzones.

If it's between SWTOR and WoW, you'd probably enjoy WoW pvp more; better class balance, more maps(10v10, 15v15, and 40v40) and you can block ones you don't like from your random queue, a new bolster mechanic(that actually works lol) to lower the barrier to entry, and seperate 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 arenas, plus ranked battlegrounds if you play with a regular team. World pvp is encouraged with the new expac with pvp questlines and the pvp zone Ashran is pretty fun with weird items and buffs, and usually filled with 150 players on each side(300 player cap before a new instance of it is formed).

EDIT: what the heck is a spotlight poster? OP is labelled as one.

• CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106

/scratches head

STO was massively P2W last I played (about a year or so ago) and had terrible PVP. All the best ships come from spending money to buy them, and PVP was groups sitting in zone waiting for someone to wander in and get ganked.

IDK maybe things have changed.

• GaliaGalia Member Posts: 15
    Well SWTOR is free-to-play... whatever that means. To EA, it means you are free to log on and be a crappy gimped character with limited everything (possessions, abilities, stats, inventory) . But you are certainly free to log on and "play".

If you suffer through that, you can eventually get max level, where no guild will want you because you can't do regular runs, raids, or consistent PVP matches.

It's fun. It's F2P, EA style.

< insert next poster's promo about cash shop items >
  • GaliaGalia Member Posts: 15
    Missed this point, yes the SWTOR world is small. it's zones instead of a big world. Hope that helps.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Calgor

I am currently looking for a 3rd mmo to play since I might quit star trek online because the devs in STO are neglecting pvp and pvp is what keeps me playing a MMO for over 1 year. I was thinking of returning to SWTOR but is it really pay to win? 

/scratches head

STO was massively P2W last I played (about a year or so ago) and had terrible PVP.

Hmm, partly agree with Calgor, I must, yes. (Yoda avatar ftw image)

/scratching head as well... STO has a cool f2p model, but at the end, and even moreso if you want to be geared to the teeth it can be very cash-shop heavy (or grind heavy, if you decide to grind out the Zen from the game). TOR has a much more restrictive model gameplay-wise, but that's mostly """"just"""" for the mechanics (just, in huge brackets, since I think it's a far weaker model when devs are focusing that part of the game with their restrictions).

To be honest, I couldn't say anything from TOR's shop which is anywhere near to "win"... except maybe the faster unlock for GSF ships, which takes us to the second part of OP.

(and to put it here first, I loathe pvp in rpg, since rpg is all about cooperation and teamplay). So, pvp. Why on earth you seek pvp in TOR? :) Or as a matter of fact in STO, but I admit a few ground ones can be fun, just like space if you're in a stunning (image) science vessel.

If you want pvp, stick with PS2, that's a good pick for that. Or if you really need it in an mmo, as Azaron wrote there's AA (and then you can see what p2w really is image), or there's Eve if you're into spreadsheeting. Heh he.

TOR's pvp is the same ol' instanced stun-lock fest, or there's GSF which is like a party of Descent was near 20 years ago, just with weaker controls (but better graphics).

In short, TOR is not p2w, but the pvp is not better than STO's. If pvp is your main focus, stick with PS2.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by jesteralways

It's at 60 these days. ;)

For f2p it is 50...

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    1. You buy items for RL money using Cartel points
    2. You sell these items for credits ingame
    3. You buy high-end crafted items (armor etc) with in-game credits
    4. You have gained an advantage over your fellow players with your RL money...
    Yea, thats Pay2Win to me.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by IG-88

You can buy at best three tiers behind the BIS gear and not every slot. I know plenty of people who spend big in the cash shop, they do it for the cosmetics and mounts. Bragging rights, because they're all already top tier raiders, so they don't need to buy gear.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by bobfish

You can buy at best three tiers behind the BIS gear and not every slot. I know plenty of people who spend big in the cash shop, they do it for the cosmetics and mounts. Bragging rights, because they're all already top tier raiders, so they don't need to buy gear.

The point is that if you are willing to spend RL money, you can get better gear without actualy do the ops-grinds.

It the items would have been no-trade, it would have been another story.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

The point is that if you are willing to spend RL money, you can get better gear without actualy do the ops-grinds.

No, you can't get competitive raid level or pvp gear through the cartel market.

Using phrases like "better gear" is nothing but a semantic trick, "better" is relative, depending on who you are better can be a hood instead of headgear or a different color, the proper word is competitive. The gear itself is not going to give you any kind of edge or will it be better then what is dropped from current endgame Ops or pvp.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Yes it is, you cant equip best items (artifacts) without buying artifact certificate in cash shop. You could theoretically buy it from AH but it cost much above the f2p limit. 

If you want to play for the story, thats fine, just think of it as a single player game. 

If you want a mmo then im sorry, to have decent experience you should subscribe. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, but there is tiers in hell as well and it isn't as bad pay2win as OP heard, it is somewhat pay2win like many F2P games and worse than games like TERA but it isn't one of the worst offenders either.

Anyone hating P2W should probably be very selective about F2P games, the devs need to get in money some wayand there are very few of them where you can't get some kind of in game advantage if you pay real money.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Originally posted by aliven

Yes it is, you cant equip best items (artifacts) without buying artifact certificate in cash shop. You could theoretically buy it from AH but it cost much above the f2p limit. 

If you want to play for the story, thats fine, just think of it as a single player game. 

If you want a mmo then im sorry, to have decent experience you should subscribe. 

And...CATCH 22!

If you treat it as a singleplayer, you'll be massively let down. Why? Well, because for a singleplayer, it's such a MASSIVE drag. Lightsabers that don't kill in 2-4 strikes, speeders that are as fast as horse(even if as!) is, HUGE level grinds, HUGE item grinds, feel of desperation due to ever respawning mobs(oh and feel of pointlessness) etc. SWTOR has a passable gameplay for an MMO, but for a singleplayer? Oh, you be kidding!

You lose either way. I only 12-er was still here so we could just play for the story. AND NOTHING ELSE!

For story it is worth it neverthless. 

Better than what? I could give deck you out in the best the GTN has to offer and you wouldn't come close to competing with me in Flashpoints, Operations, or PVP.  Heck the gear you get from grinding out comms in FPs and OPs doesn't old a candle to the stat distribution and set bonuses you get from the gear that's actually dropped inside the OPs.

There is no substitute for the top end raid and pvp gear, so grind it out or wear gear that's less than.

And...CATCH 22!

If you treat it as a singleplayer, you'll be massively let down. Why? Well, because for a singleplayer, it's such a MASSIVE drag. Lightsabers that don't kill in 2-4 strikes, speeders that are as fast as horse(even if as!) is, HUGE level grinds, HUGE item grinds, feel of desperation due to ever respawning mobs(oh and feel of pointlessness) etc. SWTOR has a passable gameplay for an MMO, but for a singleplayer? Oh, you be kidding!

You lose either way. I only 12-er was still here so we could just play for the story. AND NOTHING ELSE!

That it is, my friend, that it is!

I am SO ENJOYING Consular story right now. Just as much as I did BH and Trooper. But dam Agent story sucks for me. I went all the way up to Quesh and gave up and rerolled to an Op(thought that I picked a wrong AC). It turned out that I picked a wrong character/class/story! So much about suxxorz Trooper/Cons story and "AWESOME" Agent story...

Tastes vary. image

My personal favorites are probably Agent, Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior. But I've enjoyed the others too.

Your choices can also affect how much you enjoy a certain character's storyline.

Agent reminded me a bit of Alpha Protocol (and Mission Impossible). You can be a bloodthirsty psycho that leaves a bodycount behind on each job, a whatever it takes kinda guy, or a suave spy that gets by on charm.

And...CATCH 22!

That it is, my friend, that it is!

I am SO ENJOYING Consular story right now. Just as much as I did BH and Trooper. But dam Agent story sucks for me. I went all the way up to Quesh and gave up and rerolled to an Op(thought that I picked a wrong AC). It turned out that I picked a wrong character/class/story! So much about suxxorz Trooper/Cons story and "AWESOME" Agent story...

Consular is my fav of all the stoies by far. Wait till you get to act 3 and....well just wait till act 3 lol, its by far the best final act in the whole game. I liked Agent a lot but hated the Sith Warrior story.