Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoying this game!

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545

Picked up this game and Ros recently.  Have to say I am really enjoying it.  Tried the beta and was really down on it.  Was a huge D3 hater.  Read so many good things about patches and RoS and thought I would give it a try.

For anyone else who wrote this off, it is worth a look in my opinion. 

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 419
    With Season 2 beginning on the 13th, now is a great time to jump into the game.   RoS and Loot 2.0 significantly improved D3, which has become a very enjoyable, loot-intensive hack n slash.   My clan and chat channels are busier than ever.  Looking forward to climbing up the ladder and trying out some new builds.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,662
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Picked up this game and Ros recently.  Have to say I am really enjoying it.  Tried the beta and was really down on it.  Was a huge D3 hater.  Read so many good things about patches and RoS and thought I would give it a try.

Dude you should have tried POE first,imo it is slightly a bit better but it is free D3 is not.

I never much liked these games personally but i tried D3 demo and Poe on a whim and although still not my cup of tea POE is a better product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    D3 is better than it was at launch with the auction house and crap loot drops of that era.  I play once in a while now and my guild has a couple of D3 nights every week.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Dude you should have tried POE first,imo it is slightly a bit better but it is free D3 is not.

I never much liked these games personally but i tried D3 demo and Poe on a whim and although still not my cup of tea POE is a better product.

Man.. i love PoE, It's gameplay is miles better then D3, but i still find myself playing D3 more.

Just can't go back to PoE's camera angle and desync deaths after experiencing the smooth performance D3 offers, where these issues ever addressed in PoE?

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,955

Eh, the only thing PoE really has going for it is the various leagues. Otherwise it's a fairly mediocre ARPG with clunky combat, a needlessly draconian skill system, and desync issues. 

I'd recommend trying Marvel Heroes first. It's probably one of the greatest ARPGs of all time, and it's also completely free. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by GrayImpact

Man.. i love PoE, It's gameplay is miles better then D3, but i still find myself playing D3 more.

Just can't go back to PoE's camera angle and desync deaths after experiencing the smooth performance D3 offers, where these issues ever addressed in PoE?

I would love to be able to get into PoE more myself.  I just wish I could pause it when I need to.  Certain times in the day I can play a game knowing I wont be interrupted (precious slotted time for MMOs), and then their are times when I have to stop what I'm doing at a moments notice.  With D3 I can do that, but not POE unfortunately.   My old age and responsibility has turned me into a dirty casual :(

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,867

D3 has come long way since release.

The loot is actually fun , the gameplay is best in whole genre , the areas are actually random as they are supposed to be , and there is replayability.

POE might be more complex, but in shere fun factor D3 wins hands down

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Did they at least fix all the exploits for season 2? Or are there still gonna be people exploiting to the top in an hour?
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,649
    I missed S1 so will forever be without the item I could have got from it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Agree. The game is fun and I come back to it once in a while.

I bought the game for Reaper of Souls release, as soon as I heard they were removing the RMAH and adding a paladin/heavy armor archetype.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,822
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

That complexity is also its downfall. I tried to go back to it a while ago after an extended break, looked at the skill tree and went "Ugh, I have no idea where I want to go... do I really want to spend the next couple of hours carefully going over each option and reading what it does while trying to decide where to go? Or do I simply go and play something else?" Care to guess which option won?

It also doesn't help that the respec system in PoE may as well be non-existent, since you need a super rare item for each single skillpoint you want to reset. It's the consensus on that game that rerolling is easier than respeccing in most cases, which is something I utterly despise.

For new players it basically comes down to "Copy a build you find online, or be prepared to reroll once you enter the highest difficulty and find yourself gimped."

In the meanwhile I've very much enjoyed D3's laidback playstyle and season 1, from which I got my transmogs before it ended. Both are fun games, but D3 still wins for me by a large margin due to accessibility compared to PoE's "hardcore" approach. I also despise that I can't make the builds that I want without having to do a bunch of trading with other people, of which 80% are looking to scam me.

For those who've never played PoE; you need "skill gems" to be able to use certain abilities, and some of them are rare drops. If Diablo 3 had the same system, lets say if you were playing a Demon Hunter and wanted to build your hunter around turrets, if this was a rare drop you'd be completely out of luck as a new player and highly dependent on other people to get this skill in trade. Who'll try to rip you off when they sense you're a noob that doesn't know the value of every single item yet.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

D3 has come long way since release.

The loot is actually fun , the gameplay is best in whole genre , the areas are actually random as they are supposed to be , and there is replayability.

Is the GIF image in your signature from a game?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    Did they at least fix all the exploits for season 2? Or are there still gonna be people exploiting to the top in an hour?

I dunno if they fix ALL the exploits, but they fix quite a few, and banned a bunch of people. Diablofan.com has the news.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

That complexity is also its downfall. I tried to go back to it a while ago after an extended break, looked at the skill tree and went "Ugh, I have no idea where I want to go... do I really want to spend the next couple of hours carefully going over each option and reading what it does while trying to decide where to go? Or do I simply go and play something else?" Care to guess which option won?

It also doesn't help that the respec system in PoE may as well be non-existent, since you need a super rare item for each single skillpoint you want to reset. It's the consensus on that game that rerolling is easier than respeccing in most cases, which is something I utterly despise.

For new players it basically comes down to "Copy a build you find online, or be prepared to reroll once you enter the highest difficulty and find yourself gimped."

In the meanwhile I've very much enjoyed D3's laidback playstyle and season 1, from which I got my transmogs before it ended. Both are fun games, but D3 still wins for me by a large margin due to accessibility compared to PoE's "hardcore" approach. I also despise that I can't make the builds that I want without having to do a bunch of trading with other people, of which 80% are looking to scam me.

For those who've never played PoE; you need "skill gems" to be able to use certain abilities, and some of them are rare drops. If Diablo 3 had the same system, lets say if you were playing a Demon Hunter and wanted to build your hunter around turrets, if this was a rare drop you'd be completely out of luck as a new player and highly dependent on other people to get this skill in trade. Who'll try to rip you off when they sense you're a noob that doesn't know the value of every single item yet.

I tried PoE.

D3 is a MUCH better game than PoE for me. It has much better combat, and skill designs, and the skill system is much more open to experimentation. You can change your build, and try variations at will.

And the "a point here to increase damage, a point there to increase defense" kind of skill system is completely ancient and unfun compare to a skill system that let you choose what the skill does instead. (To be fair, not every company has the money to program in so many variations of game mechanics).

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Doesn't season 2 start on February 13th? Were there exploits on the PTR? Dang.(sorry, I haven't been following). If so, I sure hope it gets fixed.

Anyhoo, I'm glad the OP is enjoying the game. It's my favorite in the genre.

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545

Yes I was very anti D3 at launch.  Had a rl friend who kept trying to get me to play but I just didn't feel the game was worth it. Also I think it is important that consumers send messages, and I didn't like the direction Blizzard took with the game at launch.

I did play PoE and liked that quite a bit.  I think I did a post here saying PoE was what D3 should have been.

Not saying D3 is better than PoE, but I am pleasantly surprised and am enjoying my time with it :)