Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Inquisition is $40 new at Walmart

AlphaBlaze22AlphaBlaze22 Member UncommonPosts: 10
available for store pick. Hurry!!!

Started PC gaming in August, 2013. Games played (in order): FF14 ARR ==> Guild Wars 2 ==> Planetside 2 ==> League of Legends ==> Neverwinter (still playing)==> Back to League of Legends for a second try

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    That's not a bargain the games not worth half of that anyway.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Its a pretty boring game unless you're a hardcore single-player RPG fan. It controls very similarly to WoW, but you can recruit party members and toggle between them. Other then that though, the game is like 75% cutscene.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Why does every single player RPG franchise move more and more in the direction of an action game and further and further away from an RPG?

• Dragon Age
    • Mass Effect
    • Resident Evil
    • Bioshock

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

didn't Origin have a 30% off for valentine or something too?

for those that have yet to get the game:

Pros:

- epic characters (of course you have to played the previous games to understand some of them better. at the very least Play Origins)

- great music

- good graphics

Cons

- boring multiplayer plus they also sell chests. i think you can get things with gold or farming too but still. although multiplayer is fully separate from the singleplayer so there is also that.

- some questionable quest designs. it feels like an mmo specially the first big zone.

- lack of variety in customization and items and no unlimited inventory chest to save some items you want when you run out of space (there is an upcoming patch for PC for now that is focusing on these problems i think)

as for PC version it is generally optimized but control-wise gamepad is better it seems (i think with keyboard/mouse for example you lack auto attack i think, don't remember to be honest). although i was fine with keyboard and mouse but then again i played dark souls series with mouse and keyboard as well.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by DMKano

IMO a decent game but nowhere near as good as the original.

For those who haven't played Origins - I say get that instead.

Yeah if you haven't played DA:O and you like RPG's, you really really should. It's one of the greats. Quests in the fade and Orzammar are truly epic experiences.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

The game is actually pretty darn good and reviewers agree.

Originally posted by Vutar
    Isn't the PC version awful? Everything I read says the combat is horrible.

No, it's really good. You got some links where you read it's awful?

Originally posted by Ergload
    Its a pretty boring game unless you're a hardcore single-player RPG fan. It controls very similarly to WoW, but you can recruit party members and toggle between them. Other then that though, the game is like 75% cutscene.

It's a single-player RPG what did you expect, Battlefield 4?

It's like WoW but in the first sentence you say its a hardcore single-player RPG? Can you make up your mind?

It's actually almost no cut-scenes, the world is pretty huge and you spend 99% of your time exploring it and fighting with NO cutscenes.

_____

>> I't permanently below $40 here! <<

Originally posted by Bascola

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

The game is actually pretty darn good and reviewers agree.

Originally posted by Vutar
    Isn't the PC version awful? Everything I read says the combat is horrible.

No, it's really good. You got some links where you read it's awful?

Originally posted by Ergload

It's a single-player RPG what did you expect, Battlefield 4?

It's like WoW but in the first sentence you say its a hardcore single-player RPG? Can you make up your mind?

It's actually almost no cut-scenes, the world is pretty huge and you spend 99% of your time exploring it and fighting with NO cutscenes.

_____

>> I't permanently below $40 here! <<

He said it controls like WoW.

To be honest the game looks really predictably mediocre.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I'll throw my $0.02 in:

DA:I had some of the best characters, dialogue, voice acting, graphics and story I've seen in a long time BUT

the "massive" zones they went on about ended up being grindy chores that took tons of time with little reward and the combat was painfully awful. Party member AI is atrocious and threat management doesn't work most of the time. I like a challenge when it comes from the monsters not from the mechanics.

I felt like it was worth trudging through for the story but the journey itself was not fun.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

I'll throw my $0.02 in:

DA:I had some of the best characters, dialogue, voice acting, graphics and story I've seen in a long time BUT

the "massive" zones they went on about ended up being grindy chores that took tons of time with little reward and the combat was painfully awful. Party member AI is atrocious and threat management doesn't work most of the time. I like a challenge when it comes from the monsters not from the mechanics.

I felt like it was worth trudging through for the story but the journey itself was not fun.

I think the thing is the pros you listed are features that make a good "playable movie" like single players have been turning into lately. But how are the RPG elements? How deep is the GAMEPLAY? I saw the same thing happen with Mass Effect (another bioware game). The first game was amazing in just about every way and then the subsequent games become more and more "action-y" and more shallow.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by skeaser

I'll throw my $0.02 in:

I think the thing is the pros you listed are features that make a good "playable movie" like single players have been turning into lately. But how are the RPG elements? How deep is the GAMEPLAY? I saw the same thing happen with Mass Effect (another bioware game). The first game was amazing in just about every way and then the subsequent games become more and more "action-y" and more shallow.

Pretty much the same here. Itemization is hardly there and the skill trees are more the "pick a flavor" variety.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

A few things to note:

Once you get to Skyhold (5-10 hours in depending on how you play and what you're familiar with) the cut-scenes really drop off. It does feel like 75% cut-scenes until that point. Of course, by that point in the game, you're really just starting and have likely only seen 3 areas and haven't come close to completing the quests.

Classes and combat do feel very very bland and terrible until . . . you get to Skyhold (after your second visit) and unlock class specializations. The game changes on a dime right then and there (well assuming your respec your characters into their specializations). They're more interesting and carry a lot of strategic depth. It really changes how you play and ups the enjoyment of the game significantly. Beware, making a new character after playing with these specializations will only serve to magnify how bad it is until you unlock them.

Roll a class that the AI can't handle (and of course, that you enjoy). The AI can't play certain specs, it's too dumb. Any DW rogue, KE mage, Reaver/Templar warrior. On the flip side, AI is plenty good at playing Tanks. So get Blackwall geared and specced and just let the AI do it's thing - he'll always have plenty of guard and he'll taunt stuff off your guys. AI is also pretty decent with ranged, so just let them do that.

Do not have more than 2 melee characters in your party. This game has unit collision and positional requirements.  Meaning, your tank might get flanked, your rogue might not be able to get behind their target, etc. Too many melee makes a fustercluck. Avoid.

Read your quests. Seriously this is a single player game not a "race to endgame" MMO. There's some interesting world building going on and you'll miss out on what makes DA:I good if you just pick up a quest and run off to kill whatever it is you need to kill. Don't let your MMO brain ruin single player RPG's for you.