Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone not coming back for the xpack?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
Hey, just wondering if anyone who played GW2 at launch and then quit for whatever reason, is NOT planning on returning to check out the expansion.  Basically, is anyone who played completely done with GW2, regardless of what the expansion brings?  If so, curious to hear why?  Thanks!

Comments

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Hated combat, hated the quest hub grind, hated the class system, hated the zergfest pvp. Made it to level 61 in a week and a half and it was a painful 10 days for me. Only played cause I had 5 friends playing, but literally everyone quit after two weeks.

Zero interest in the expansion. The game is just not for me. More power to those that like it though.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Never going back, game had nothing for me.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I really liked the game at launch, we formed a guild with people at the core who already knew each other from previous games and built it from there to have over a hundred members. We all expected to play it for some time and would have done if they'd have had regular expansions the way they did with the original GW.

However, when it became apparent there was no expansion on the horizon, people started drifting away so within nine months or so, the guild had died in-game and now we even only have a handful of people left on our members forum to discuss other games we're playing. I don't think any of us still play GW2 and although we are aware an expansion has finally been announced, I don't think I've seen a single post from someone saying they're looking forward to it. I can't see us playing it as a guild again, the game had it's chance with us and blew it.

We've moved on and I believe the game most of us are looking forward to now is EQN but of course even that has some uncertainty about it after last weeks events.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I may try it out, and play a bit, but I still don't like how the class system is, and the dungeon system.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    Hey, just wondering if anyone who played GW2 at launch and then quit for whatever reason, is NOT planning on returning to check out the expansion.  Basically, is anyone who played completely done with GW2, regardless of what the expansion brings?  If so, curious to hear why?  Thanks!

This is going to be a fun thread to read.

I'm sure it will be full of sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Actually reinstalled GW2 .. 3 weeks ago .. just to give it another chance , before the exp .

After 2 days i unistalled and will never reinstall GW2 again .. it bores me to tears , and is a terrible MMO in every conceivable way  imo .. I just hope it hasnt set the genre back 5 years with its horrible approach to everything an MMO should be ..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I would have tried it if there was more character depth and customization added.

Things like character voice choices. Your character talks too much not to be able to choose how it sounds.

I was hoping for more skills and weapons too. Say 3 skills each for 1-5 with the ability to slot them how I want.

I never felt attached to my character because of things like those I just mentioned. They helped contribute to my shorter than expected stay.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GaliaGalia Member Posts: 15
    I played at launch. I was really disappointed with the game offered. Oh well. I'm not likely to come back. Too much single player simpleton gameplay. Pay to win was / is an issue. But whatever, it is just a very very very lonely MMORPG to play (to me).
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Since you asked - I'm not coming back. Played at launch to see what all that hype was about and after leveling 2 characters to 80 I lost all hope of having any fun in that game. In my personal opinion GW2 is a very mediocre MMO and awful RPG.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Not if they don't expand gameplay options. I need more to do than run dungeons or WvW. Housing and/or sandbox elements would help tremendously.

<3

• Noyou12Noyou12 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Due to RNG, probably not. After farming for ages to get a legendary, having a friend get 3 precursors from the MF in one afternoon kinda sucks knowing I dumped infinitely more stuff into it. 

Thinking about returning recently, only to find a new magic find stat bound to your account - so once again I'm at a disadvantage in the never-ending war against RNG.

So no, going to have to give the expansion a miss "unfortunately".

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I enjoyed that GW2 was trying to do something new.  I like not having a traditional quest log.  The graphics and landscape were nice.  But I end up doing lots of crafting in every game I've tried since EQ1.  I couldn't get past the random number generator for crafting, and it soured me to the rest of the game.  After one particular marathon of crafting, I finally just logged off and never went back.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Noyou12

Due to RNG, probably not. After farming for ages to get a legendary, having a friend get 3 precursors from the MF in one afternoon kinda sucks knowing I dumped infinitely more stuff into it. 

Thinking about returning recently, only to find a new magic find stat bound to your account - so once again I'm at a disadvantage in the never-ending war against RNG.

So no, going to have to give the expansion a miss "unfortunately".

The expansion addresses this.  There will be an alternate way to get precursors without having to rely entirely on RNG.  I believe in form of a collection where you have to do various tasks.  Having returned after 2 years I see a lot of RNG being addressed with rewards more consistent now (you get guaranteed loot of a certain quality for doing certain things now) although the game does still rely on it, there is much more consistency on how you farm and make steady progress.

The magic find being account bound is only a positive in my opinion.  Instead of relying on gimping yourself gear wise to get 150% magic find through gear, MF is now accumulated over time from essences of luck which you primarily receive through salvaging.  It's a reward to veterans who play often as you can have 300% magic find through this new system alone and that's not counting bonuses from MF boosters, events, food, and infusions.

• RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by DMKano

I am not coming back - as long as level downscaling exists I will never play this game again (I quit after launch month - never came back)

Games that make me artificially weaker simply because I walked over to another area that happens to have lower level mobs - nope, not for me.

Downscaling should have been AN OPTION that could be toggled depending on player preference - just my 2c.

Couldn't agree more. One of the joys for me in leveling a character is going back to lower level areas and stomping on mobs that gave me difficulty whilst leveling. It gives a satisfying sense of progression, which I felt was lost in GW2. I believe Rift has a level down/mentoring option, this is what GW2 should have done.

GW1 was my first MMO love affair and I still have very fond memories of it, my disappointment with GW2 after seeing them walk away from everything that was GW1 means there is little chance I'll return expansion or not. PVP was a joy in GW1, in GW2 it is a joke. Questing with a minion master necro with 16 skeletons was one of the highlights of my gaming career, the GW2 necro is just sad. Don't get me started with what they did with my beloved Mesmer.

I'm sure it will do well tho, there seem to be plenty that enjoy it.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I am not going back. There are fundamental game desig decisions k don't like like no trinity, meh character classes and restrictive skill builds. The expansion is not fixing those so I am not going back.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Even withouth the expansion its a favourite game of me, love the combat, love the classdesign, love the events, love the quests (and they got even better with season 2) love traveling around the world, love the instanced PvP...

i have been back two or three times since release and each of them was fun, i am looking forward to the expansion, and currently playing the game...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Being buy to play I have taken breaks here and there but always came back. Enjoying it a lot right now due to dedicating myself to one main (I have every class but 1 at 80), crafting up some ascended weps after I got lucky and found a legendary precursor drop which made me 1000g...and learning that one class better for pvp stuff with a metabuild. Also got a true gaming mouse so I could perform better in pvp. Enjoying it.

Also as far as zergs in wvw go, get out of gold league. My server typically has less than 20 people in their zergs, which makes for good fights.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Come back? That suggests that I quit at some point ....
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

not me, just something about the game i don't like and i have given it a few chances.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Not at all. My major points against it.

#1 - Also the most damning part that is extremely hard and unlikely to be fixed - Sloppy Combat. The combat just feels so slippery and just not satisfying at all. It lacks real impact and just feels like you are slipping around everywhere without rhyme or reason. Targetting is (could of been fixed) clunky beyond belief with abilities not hitting the target despite seeming like they could, feeling like a game that couldn't decide to  be either tab target or point and aim and picked a mix of both to its detriment. Combat was extremely simplistic not having much complexity to really make it entertaining (even on classes like Mesmer which I mained or engineer). 

It was just one of the weakest combat systems in an AAA game I've played in some time, pretty much tied with TSW in terms of combat just feeling 'meh'. I guess a part of the cost of the shift towards MMos going more action oriented.

#2 - Boring leveling - Freedom to explore is fine, the tedium of leveling and running from repetitive event to event so long is where things start to drag on. Guildwars 2 was one of the first fresh MMos I played (AAA again) that I actually got BORED 2 hours in. For one who loves speed leveling and getting to the top as quick as possible, that is a massive problem. It just felt so painful at times.  This is probably the one area that they can fix in an expansion, but I have to admit I'm jaded by the experience I had initially. It felt as if it was one massively padded adventure weighing it down. This is only made worth as you get all your 'goodies' early. There isn't any progression which makes leveling so pitiful being just a number that means absolutely nothing, coming closer to being a 'loading' bar to when you hit cap.

Pushing freedom with little variation drags stuff down a lot.

#3 - Mostly horrible story - Don't get me wrong, I don't care as much for Story usually in MMos. It typically is 'meh' at best. Gw2 pushed its story pretty hard. There were gems, don't get me wrong! A few quests stood out such as the one siege had me going 'this is pretty cool'. The issue? So much of it was so painful and cringe worthy. I can't recall how many times I just wanted to slam my head into my desk at our pitiful it was going through it. It felt so contrives and so stupid or cheesy. It was just so poorly done, near the end you pretty much get a 'oh here is this guy, he is your messiah' and it just completely makes things cringe worthy with it. It really has tainted my view greatly on the game. Never try pushing your story onto the players unless you can make it at least decent. 

Don't make me feel like I could of made up a story in 5 minutes in my head that sounds a lot better then yours despite it not being good.

#4 - Dat Cash Shop - I'll admit, probably a minor irk for me, but still one that bothers me particularly hearing more about it. The idea of a game that tries to inch away from progression having the option of BUYING gold really comes off Pay 2 Win. I'm sorry, but it really is. While it isn't  exclusive items you can get with it, it is still something that can have an effect on things like RvRvR. It just irks me in the wrong way. Worst? Selling pieces of content. Seriously, you are a $60 game WITH A CASH SHOP, you shouldn't be selling slices of stuff to people who might of missed it. It comes off nickle and diming and its just horrible if you want people to jump back into your game when they want. That point alone is what made me really consider it a bigger negative. It bothers me when I see people making the excuse 'but its got no subscription fee'. NO DUH, they are making a lot more money WITH a cash shop instead!

TLDR: A Poor combat system sells me against it.  It is made worst having a jaded impression with a boring leveling experience and cringe worthy style topped by a cash shop that added with them selling off quests people missed just obliterates my desire to even give the game another shot. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I liked the game in the beginning but then i played a game with better combat and couldn't get back into gw2.
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Thanks for all the surprisingly civil replies everyone!
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

GW1 is on my short list of "Best Games Ever".

GW2 is on my short list of "Games I regret buying".

Probably a connection there, but either way I'm done with Anet and have no interest in GW2, let alone an expac.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by MellowTigger
    I enjoyed that GW2 was trying to do something new.  I like not having a traditional quest log.  The graphics and landscape were nice.  But I end up doing lots of crafting in every game I've tried since EQ1.  I couldn't get past the random number generator for crafting, and it soured me to the rest of the game.  After one particular marathon of crafting, I finally just logged off and never went back.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. 

And, I'm sure it's probably just me, but the mechanics of all of the classes seemed too similar.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Game is the very definition of boring.  You can see so much opportunity for fun in the design of the world - but end up finding none.

Won't be back.