Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN is Not Cancelled.

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Assuming the report of c. 200 people / 45% of staff being laid off was accurate then SOE currently have c. 250 staff split across two studios.

These folks have to support:

• 5 launched games - EQ1, EQ2 and Dragon's Prophet on PC, PS2 and DCUO on PC, mobile and PlayStation;  
    • the "early access" games Landmark and H1Z1 on PC;
    • develop EQN;
    • management, sales, legal, finance etc.
    Challenging times ahead maybe?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

You have one of 3 possibilities.

1. EQN never gets developed

2. It gets developed but not according to the original design.

3. Development of EQN will continue it exactly as Dave would have done.

Now you tell me, which of these 3 is least likely to happen.

My guess is what we'll see is #2.. an EverQuest Next different then what has been talked about.. Probably something watered down like PS2, and every year or two you buy a "new" version of the game like Call of Duty games..  I just don't see it being created for the PC market anymore, not like they hyped about

Or it could easily also be #3 since none of us know why George was fired. Speculating that he was fired because of his vision of EQN is about as valid as saying he was fired because he drank 2 pints before noon every day.

.....and why would we expect that from an investment firm that has already shown its desire for the console / applet market?  When people start throwing around terms like multi-platform, that rarely includes the PC market, let alone ames that cater to its unique demands.

Well maybe you can tell us what the future holds then since you're implying you've got it figured out.

It's called an educated guess.  The company has shown its preference for different markets that are not focused on PC MMORPGs.  Logic would dictate that the way they have gone about doing their business, both before and after the purchase of SOE would lead one to surmise they aren't really interested in continuing with the more expensive and lower income PC market and re-direct into the console and applet markets they have alluded to in recent comments.

Well that explains it. You're being educated by the chunk from a PR spin piece you've decide is credible and we, the great unwashed, are not. I stand corrected.

Nope, but there is no reason to continue with you, you are more interested in baiting than debating.

Continue or not, I don't really care if you consider sarcasm baiting... perhaps that's just a reflection of you taking yourself way too seriously... no surprise there.

All you're doing is selectively deciding to believe the part of the PR spin that agrees with your preconceived doom and gloom prediciton and ignoring the parts of the same spin piece written by the same copy writer that reassures everyone all the IPs are safe. Personally I believe neither the bit about expanding into new platforms nor the everything is peachy part,

It's spin and insufficient data.

My post that you decided to jump in on was a response to someone excluding the possibility of EQN continuing on its current course because of George's firing and speculating that the firing had to do with a conflict between what George wanted to do vs. an imaginary change in direction when it could just as easily be about removing dead weight.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Yes, Smed's always speaks the truth.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Sony didn't sell SOE because EQNEXT wasn't developing how they would have hoped, sony sold SOE because sony is hugely in debt and might not be around as company much longer. One thing i can guarantee you is there will be no playstation 5.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ummm @ OP

I think you have not been paying much attention to SOE or done any homework on this take over.

First of all SOE was ALREADY doing multi platform,do you know who Naughty Dog Productions are,if not Google them,likely the best products SOE has ever put out.

I would also mention that quoting from a biased press release is NOT any indication what so ever of their true intentions.They also said in that speech that they are all for working with the community however just weeks prior the community guy left or was fired,they closed down the community table and other pertinent staff that was involved with community were let go.

When Smed says "largest development team @ SOE,it is laughable,what divisions does SOE have that are not contracted out to other developers?So they have 5-20 people working on Planetside and Landmark  "MAYBE,perhaps NONE"and maybe 30 on EQN?I bet they have their staff just moving from game to game as needed,,operating with MUCH less overhead than you would expect from a full commitment.

I can tell you that after they released their TCG similar to Hearthstone,they had almost NOBODY working on it.They NEVER responded to bugs and forum,there was only one mod that occasionally popped in to ban someone but never did a single thing to communicate with the community.Then of course shut the game down.

If you want to follow how SLOW and how LITTLE they do just pay attention to H1Z1 ,a game they CLAIM is early development.That would mean LOTS of content to come right,LMAO NOTHING,they might fix a few bugs,so a 2-3 man team and their ONE community guy and that is it.I even noticed they had the "America's next top model" helping to promote the game,she doesn't even play it,i know because she is in Twitch all the time playing Hearthstone not even a SOE product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I guess i forget to mention my point....

Point is NO the game will not be cancelled but what quality of a game do you expect?If you have followed EQ2 xpacksand their other games that THEY produced,not the published ones,they have delivered VERY shallow games that prove VERY little effort was put into them.

I will predict EQn.....Early access,fish all the foolish spenders into paying them money before the product is of triple A quality.A smaller game than you would expect,TONS of repeated assets,so in other words a DOUBLE A product ripping off people who are fooled into thinking early access means an unfinished game,when in reality IT IS the game just an excuse to quash the bug and glitch complaints.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

DS Berry: "Smed: Can you tell us why? Can you tell us when? There is a dearth of trust and info here now. A sense of betrayal."

John Smedley: "because the Everquest franchise is our lifeblood and we treat it with the respect it deserves."

---

I can't believe I just read that. They haven't treated the EQ franchise with respect for as long as I can remember. It still amazes me that you don't see this guy regularly running from an angry mob of gamers with torches.

Smed lives in his own little world.  The only people that believe what he says are himself, and the fundamentally naive. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Do you work for SOE or whatever they are called now? If not, what was your motivation to make this thread?

To point out that EQN isn't cancelled. Might be captain obvious, but from all the comments I was seeing, honestly wasn't sure if people believed what they were saying or were just being the negative nancys that they are, despite multiple sources saying clearing that the game will gone on. What form is still unknown. What was your motivation for reading and responding this this thread? 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

EQN is Not Cancelled...... yet.

Hope it isn't but how good will it be if it is launched? My hopes are dimming.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Originally posted by Wizardry

Ummm @ OP

I think you have not been paying much attention to SOE or done any homework on this take over.

First of all SOE was ALREADY doing multi platform,do you know who Naughty Dog Productions are,if not Google them,likely the best products SOE has ever put out.

I would also mention that quoting from a biased press release is NOT any indication what so ever of their true intentions.They also said in that speech that they are all for working with the community however just weeks prior the community guy left or was fired,they closed down the community table and other pertinent staff that was involved with community were let go.

When Smed says "largest development team @ SOE,it is laughable,what divisions does SOE have that are not contracted out to other developers?So they have 5-20 people working on Planetside and Landmark  "MAYBE,perhaps NONE"and maybe 30 on EQN?I bet they have their staff just moving from game to game as needed,,operating with MUCH less overhead than you would expect from a full commitment.

I can tell you that after they released their TCG similar to Hearthstone,they had almost NOBODY working on it.They NEVER responded to bugs and forum,there was only one mod that occasionally popped in to ban someone but never did a single thing to communicate with the community.Then of course shut the game down.

If you want to follow how SLOW and how LITTLE they do just pay attention to H1Z1 ,a game they CLAIM is early development.That would mean LOTS of content to come right,LMAO NOTHING,they might fix a few bugs,so a 2-3 man team and their ONE community guy and that is it.I even noticed they had the "America's next top model" helping to promote the game,she doesn't even play it,i know because she is in Twitch all the time playing Hearthstone not even a SOE product.

Having NG and taking all the folks working on PC games and putting them on mobile is not the same thing.

Going by your assumptions on the team sizes and how they operate, not sure you actually follow SOE much, at least enough to make those assumptions.

5-20 on PS2? Why not 1-100? Landmark & EQN share the same team, plus or minus a handful that work on EQN specific assets, not two entirely different teams. As far as moving devs from one game to the next does happen (PS2 to H1Z1 for example) but for the most part devs have a talent for something and that's what they stick to. FPS guys aren't doing EQN combat.

You do realize that there are sites like twitter, facebook, linkedin that show names, companies they work for, products they work on, and what they do for said products right? Really isn't some big mystery if you really want to know who works where and does what.

For H1Z1, what do you mean they CLAIM it is in early development? It's the final product in your mind? Have you played it or followed the updates? https://forums.station.sony.com/h1z1/index.php?forums/game-update-notes.23/

Just because YOU expect XYZ doesn't make it so. That whole EARLY part means they are still working out the kinks of the system, not focusing on making 50 t-shirts or 10 car models.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I guess i forget to mention my point....

Point is NO the game will not be cancelled but what quality of a game do you expect?If you have followed EQ2 xpacksand their other games that THEY produced,not the published ones,they have delivered VERY shallow games that prove VERY little effort was put into them.

I will predict EQn.....Early access,fish all the foolish spenders into paying them money before the product is of triple A quality.A smaller game than you would expect,TONS of repeated assets,so in other words a DOUBLE A product ripping off people who are fooled into thinking early access means an unfinished game,when in reality IT IS the game just an excuse to quash the bug and glitch complaints.

So again, basically my point, you are making speculations based on no evidence. Clear you don't get the point to EA or what the development process is that they are going with, at last with the current EA games. Those that don't want to be "ripped off" are free to wait until release when it is FREE. No one is forcing anyone, nor lying to them that EA versions are "finished." Even if it is in EA for 5 years, doesn't change a thing. Does allow them more flexibility which I personally like if the end product ends up better and not to mention free to those that don't want to spend anything.

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164
    There is absolutely no doubt that EQN will be cancelled.  Not sure why they just will not say it yet.
  • Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by U-Turn
    There is absolutely no doubt that EQN will be cancelled.  Not sure why they just will not say it yet.

If it isn't, it should be.  As in typical SOE and loser Smed fashion, the ideas sound fantastic, but the implementation just flat out sucks.

that's just my opinion though.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

DS Berry: "Smed: Can you tell us why? Can you tell us when? There is a dearth of trust and info here now. A sense of betrayal."

John Smedley: "because the Everquest franchise is our lifeblood and we treat it with the respect it deserves."

---

I can't believe I just read that. They haven't treated the EQ franchise with respect for as long as I can remember. It still amazes me that you don't see this guy regularly running from an angry mob of gamers with torches.

Smed lives in his own little world.  The only people that believe what he says are himself, and the fundamentally naive. 

Is it really believing Smed to think the game will still go on as will the franchise?EQ is essentially SOE/DB's claim to fame. They have no other properties of their own that are so widely known., planetside isn't even close to as known.

I don't see why they'd put more time as well as money into this game (which in game development time is money)... if they didn't plan to release it at some point, especially considering the idea of investment is to capitalize off of it. If they were going to scrap it, they would very soon. As not is costing them money.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Distopia

Is it really believing Smed to think the game will still go on as will the franchise?EQ is essentially SOE/DB's claim to fame. They have no other properties of their own that are so widely known., planetside isn't even close to as known.

I don't see why they'd put more time as well as money into this game (which in game development time is money)... if they didn't plan to release it at some point, especially considering the idea of investment is to capitalize off of it. If they were going to scrap it, they would very soon. As not is costing them money.

I'm of this same mindset and think one of the selling points of Daybreak was the potential of EQN. I think the in-game dungeoneering tools are the last piece that they need in order to flesh out the content and hopefully they have been working on an internal version already. Pre-SoELive '13 Spence claimed that the Norrath of EQN had already been seeded and designers were working on specialized topography. We were shown an artist's rendition of what this world looks like during Live '14. We were show the modeling of an NPC months before the '13 reveal along with the grid of animations for different weapons during the same event. Lore wise they have been putting out info since this same time period and have indicated it is pretty intensive.

Of course, from the time leading up to the '13 reveal until now who knows how much continued work has been done in any specific design area. That would only be known internally. As an optimist however I look at the info we have been given and there is a chance the game, as a whole, is very far along. We will know soon enough.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Vrika

Gamasutra has a source claiming Daybreak laid off total of close to 200 employees.

I've seen list of 28 people who've been confirmed to laid off. Most of the layoffs won't probably ever be known to us since most devs don't interact with the community.

There's no official number, but it looks like the studio lost so much of its work force they can't keep doing everything they used to do. We're not being told what was cut off, cancelled, or reduced. Only time will tell.

EDIT: I wish Daybreak would just come clean with it and tell us what got reduced or downsized. Then maybe we could trust into them continuing the development and support of other things. When they say that development and support will continue as usual that's just a lie and one would be fool to believe it /EDIT

Someone from the Planetside 2 team said their team was down to the size of the H1Z1 team which is around 25 members if I recall.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    As a former SOE player till 2005 :P, I was wondering; I kinda expected this from Star Citizen, but regarding EQN: did they have paid beta signups?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Muke
    As a former SOE player till 2005 :P, I was wondering; I kinda expected this from Star Citizen, but regarding EQN: did they have paid beta signups?

Nope.. EQN is still on the chalkboard and only exist in concept art and Landmark dreams..  No one has ever seen any operating program or screenshots of the mysterious EQN game..

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Vrika

Gamasutra has a source claiming Daybreak laid off total of close to 200 employees.

I've seen list of 28 people who've been confirmed to laid off. Most of the layoffs won't probably ever be known to us since most devs don't interact with the community.

There's no official number, but it looks like the studio lost so much of its work force they can't keep doing everything they used to do. We're not being told what was cut off, cancelled, or reduced. Only time will tell.

EDIT: I wish Daybreak would just come clean with it and tell us what got reduced or downsized. Then maybe we could trust into them continuing the development and support of other things. When they say that development and support will continue as usual that's just a lie and one would be fool to believe it /EDIT

Someone from the Planetside 2 team said their team was down to the size of the H1Z1 team which is around 25 members if I recall.

The PS2 dev team was the most affected by the layoff. Going by how slow development have been in the last year for it and how the reddit post says they will step up to H1Z1 development speed level, I get the feeling they had productivity issues.

Most of the layoff were in Marketing, management (people who don't make games) and QA.

Nope.. EQN is still on the chalkboard and only exist in concept art and Landmark dreams..  No one has ever seen any operating program or screenshots of the mysterious EQN game..

MMOs exist for years before players see proof of existence... Plus, the "seige" video they showed was supposedly on the EQN server but to be fair how would one know the difference between that and a Landmark setting. Except some of the footage show during the reveal had areas we dont see in Landmark.

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Aelious

MMOs exist for years before players see proof of existence... Plus, the "seige" video they showed was supposedly on the EQN server but to be fair how would one know the difference between that and a Landmark setting. Except some of the footage show during the reveal had areas we dont see in Landmark.

lulz...

Aelious you are killing us. Like you have tenure in the MMORPG space. I have alpha/beta tested 20+ games before 2009. I can tell you that SOE's EQn is the anomaly of the group. That 2 years into Development, it is still vaporware and the land of Norrath does not exist.

Take games that are only 6 months old ~ , like Pantheon, Shroud of the Avatar, etc...   even prior to pre-alpha they have actual game world and assets. I think it is time to put down the torch and let Daybreak make their own light.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Fractal_Analogy

lulz...

Aelious you are killing us. Like you have tenure in the MMORPG space. I have alpha/beta tested 20+ games before 2009. I can tell you that SOE's EQn is the anomaly of the group. That 2 years into Development, it is still vaporware and the land of Norrath does not exist.

Take games that are only 6 months old ~ , like Pantheon, Shroud of the Avatar, etc...   even prior to pre-alpha they have actual game world and assets. I think it is time to put down the torch and let Daybreak make their own light.

As an ardent fan of SOTA, using it as an example is actually rather humorous here, creating it's world and assets is not even in the same ballpark., same could be said of Pantheon (another product running on a standard Unity platform), I don't know the status of EQN, won't pretend to, however you're using examples of folks who are showing off progress to raise funding for their projects, were that not the case we wouldn't be seeing what we are (as showing alpha footage often can be more damaging than good). It certainly isn't normal operating procedure for major studios.

SO what Aelious said is pretty much true, many games fly under the radar until they are out of such stages, what is shown is controlled, as well as staged (to show working concepts) That is essentially what was shown of Pantheon recently..a proof of concept...

Throwing together a landmass, a navmesh, and some assets is not hard, it does not require a finished working example, it barely requires time.... Any company could do that in the early stages of development all they need is some finished art, which there's plenty of in reference to LM, which the same assets will be used in EQN to an extent.

TL'DR if DB felt the need to put some EQN assets together to show it working, they'd do just that, it would barely cost them a day of work. Fact of the matter is for now they're getting their funding, so they don't feel they need to... as any normal studio using typical forms of funding would feel.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

The one thing I've learned from my decade plus experience in testing, playing, and paying for mmo's is never trust a corporation.  They will say anything to get you to believe in their product and to get you to play it or pay for it.  They will promise you everything is perfect and going according to plan, when in reality shit is not going well and the game is a mess.

How many times do we have to be burned by the same routine? Vanguard, AoC, WAR, EQ2, SWTOR, ESO, AA, DFO, MO, STO

All of those games were a fuckin mess at launch, some recovered, some still limp along, and some are dead. But the entire time they were in development the company painted a PR picture like it was all sunshine, rainbows, and lollipop ponies! 

EQN is going to be a train wreck, it's going to happen. But it won't be as bad since it is launching f2p.  Since most games on the list launched as subs then failed hard and went f2p to survive.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

lulz...

EQN started development at least in 2009, so it is well into 6+ years of development.

The game design has also been cancelled and revamped at least 3 times.  It is likely going through a 4th revamp now as the team has to decide what it can and cannot continue to work on and finish with the reduced staff and resources. 

This game does have all the signs of train wreck in progress. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

lulz...

As an ardent fan of SOTA, using it as an example is actually rather humorous here, creating it's world and assets is not even in the same ballpark., same could be said of Pantheon (another product running on a standard Unity platform), I don't know the status of EQN, won't pretend to, however you're using examples of folks who are showing off progress to raise funding for their projects, were that not the case we wouldn't be seeing what we are (as showing alpha footage often can be more damaging than good). It certainly isn't normal operating procedure for major studios.

SO what Aelious said is pretty much true, many games fly under the radar until they are out of such stages, what is shown is controlled, as well as staged (to show working concepts) That is essentially what was shown of Pantheon recently..a proof of concept...

Throwing together a landmass, a navmesh, and some assets is not hard, it does not require a finished working example, it barely requires time.... Any company could do that in the early stages of development all they need is some finished art, which there's plenty of in reference to LM, which the same assets will be used in EQN to an extent.

TL'DR if DB felt the need to put some EQN assets together to show it working, they'd do just that, it would barely cost them a day of work. Fact of the matter is for now they're getting their funding, so they don't feel they need to... as any normal studio using typical forms of funding would feel.

As a general statement it could be true, but this game was supposed to be developed under full transparency. There should not be any question over the existence of EQN.  Based on SOE / Daybreak's recent business model, I would expect that if they had anything even remotely playable, we be seeing offers for early access. I don't know what they have currently developed, but things are just not adding up as this optimistic possibility might suggest. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

lulz...

As a general statement it could be true, but this game was supposed to be developed under full transparency. There should not be any question over the existence of EQN.  Based on SOE / Daybreak's recent business model, I would expect that if they had anything even remotely playable, we be seeing offers for early access. I don't know what they have currently developed, but things are just not adding up as this optimistic possibility might suggest. 

Full transparency, regarding EQN or Landmark, was never stated by DGC. What was stated was that you could help build EQN using Landmark as a building tool, which is what they are doing. We also get to help test and give feedback on Landmark as it transitions to it's full iteration. Providing an early playable build makes a lot more sense for Landmark than EQN due to EQN being more story based and molding the world as the meta story unfolds.