Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried to return and they ask for 200Gems for each Season 2 story quest?

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Cant wait till these companies starts charging extra  for patches and bug fixes.

Log in today and get it for free,tomorrow its $2 ,when you bought the box you got the box ....etc

Soon™

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Cant wait till these companies starts charging extra  for patches and bug fixes.

Log in today and get it for free,tomorrow its $2 ,when you bought the box you got the box ....etc

Soon™

I thought that was called subscription fee?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Soon™

I thought that was called subscription fee?

ssssssssshhhhhh, don't ruin it for him.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Not to mention the ridicularity of launching events, which are world changing and part of the main story evolution, and not allow new and returning players to play them.... Don't this guys know how to program a simple phasing system? Are they that weak?

Is there any other game out there that completely leaves behind world changing events and not allow players to ever again see what happened?

I talk about this because Living Story Season 1 is completely left for dead. Not even paying (which is ridiculous) one can play it.

Warcraft has phasing, Elder Scrolls also, is there any other game out there that locks all the new player and returning ones in regard to what happened in the game story wise?

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Maybe ANet learned from the first living events and wanted to improve by making them available even later?

Originally posted by tryklon

Warcraft has phasing

Yet if you don't pay $15/month, you won't see anything of WoW after level 20.

So what's the problem?

Elder Scrolls has phasing and will be Buy to Play in March, so whats the excuse.... No one gets left out in Elder Scrolls when it comes to past events.

It just makes absolutely no sense, people are supposed to come and go in MMO's, they play a while, try other games, come back and so on, to completely lock people out of important past events when it comes to story is just a completely wrong system, but maybe they cant do any better.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Eso will also have paid content.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Obviously, but not past world changing events. New DLC packs will be payed, but  at least no one is left out.

Like I said, it's ridiculous enough to pay 200gem for a single quest, but season 1 is unobtainable... that is unseen in any other game

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Obviously, but not past world changing events. New DLC packs will be payed, but  at least no one is left out.

Like I said, it's ridiculous enough to pay 200gem for a single quest, but season 1 is unobtainable... that is unseen in any other game

Actually, I do believe GW2 has a phasing system, at least partially. There are enemies that cause you to alucinate and see enemies that can attack you, other people that aren't affected by it don't see them. However, they were trying something different (which was hinted pre-release and said outright when living world was announced), that they were trying to get the feeling of a living evolving world, and the way they were trying to do that was by having the world changing forever (or at least for a long time). IIRC the example used was that veteran players could tell newcomers something like "yeah, I remember it, I was there when Scarlet attacked and destroyed Lion's Arch". Other games had tried it before, but AFAIK not at the scale they were trying to do it. The general idea is that it would be a living world where time passed on and things happened whether you were there or not. Whether it was succesful or not, well, that's up to each person.

We actually saw a bit of it in Lion's Arch in the first halloween event shortly after release, when Mad King Thorn burst out of the lion statue destroying it it remained destroyed for months, then replaced for a while with hologram generators, until it was finally rebuilt.

And technically, it's not entirely unheard of... at least IIRC post cataclysm big parts of the world changed in WoW and you couldn't just go back to play them as they were before, and WoW does have a strong phasing system.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Actually, I do believe GW2 has a phasing system, at least partially. There are enemies that cause you to alucinate and see enemies that can attack you, other people that aren't affected by it don't see them. However, they were trying something different (which was hinted pre-release and said outright when living world was announced), that they were trying to get the feeling of a living evolving world, and the way they were trying to do that was by having the world changing forever (or at least for a long time). IIRC the example used was that veteran players could tell newcomers something like "yeah, I remember it, I was there when Scarlet attacked and destroyed Lion's Arch". Other games had tried it before, but AFAIK not at the scale they were trying to do it. The general idea is that it would be a living world where time passed on and things happened whether you were there or not. Whether it was succesful or not, well, that's up to each person.

We actually saw a bit of it in Lion's Arch in the first halloween event shortly after release, when Mad King Thorn burst out of the lion statue destroying it it remained destroyed for months, then replaced for a while with hologram generators, until it was finally rebuilt.

And technically, it's not entirely unheard of... at least IIRC post cataclysm big parts of the world changed in WoW and you couldn't just go back to play them as they were before, and WoW does have a strong phasing system.

It could be a good idea but it makes no sense whatsoever.

If I create a new character, go through the first zone, advance to the next one  and I am told villages are just starting to be atacked by undead, and I go through all that story from the beggining until the last part where we kill Zhaitan, how the hell makes sense that Im in a world that is way further down the line in terms of story?

Players MUST be aware of all the story and cannot be locked out of it, or else there is no interest to new or returning players.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

If I create a new character, go through the first zone, advance to the next one  and I am told villages are just starting to be atacked by undead, and I go through all that story from the beggining until the last part where we kill Zhaitan, how the hell makes sense that Im in a world that is way further down the line in terms of story?

Players MUST be aware of all the story and cannot be locked out of it, or else there is no interest to new or returning players.

Brah! you're looking for the IRL MMO. It is right in front of you. Y U No See!!!
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

ESO's future content that each person will have to choose to purchase will be similar issue for those who view it like you are doing. There will be important story lines you will miss out on unless you purchase the DLC. 

This is more about perspective and one company and game rubbed you wrong. Might just want to take that burr out of your saddle and let it go.(?)

200 gems is about $2.13. Each Living Story (imo) is worth that cost. That is better than what most F2P games price their items for in the Cash Shops.

~That's about the cost of a good cup of coffee and lasts longer in the enjoyment part.~

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

It makes sense, what you said however does not make sense. 

Just like in real life you miss stuff if you are not there when it happens. THE END.

Actually in my country 2€ can buy 4 cups of coffee, and no, those quests are not worth that money.

I did spend money in this game, I bought an armor set for the looks, a minipet and some keys, and I did so gladly, but im pretty sure im not gonna pay for quests that should be free and that are part of the main story evolution. That just wrong.

And no, I shouldnt feel obliged to login, even if im not able for whatever reason, just to have them for free, or to come and play and spend the little time I already have because I work all day, to farm and grind for gold to trade it for gems...

Originally posted by silvermember

It makes sense, what you said however does not make sense. 

Just like in real life you miss stuff if you are not there when it happens. THE END.

Then why do I have to start the same story when I create a new character? Shouldnt the zones and the events have moved on also?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Perhaps some customers are more desirable than others and maybe having an early paywall helps them separate the wheat from the chaff.

A player that can't be arsed to log in once in 2 weeks or pay $2.5 for a few hours  of play and some grind option in form of achievements, isn't exactly a customer.

Do you really set your life around this game? "Must log in every 2 weeks must log in." Man they got you trained but good, perhaps next they can have you salivate when they ring a bell :)

Generally when I'm forced to do something (like log in every 2 weeks or be punished) is when I stop enjoying it. YMMV. In the end its supposed to be a game for fun and relaxation not a second job with deadlines, and demands.

If you payed the box price you ARE their main customer, everything else is just icing on the cake for them

Yeah, playing games once every two weeks. OMG THE HARDCORE.

If playing a game once every two weeks is a burden to you why the hell you care about some Living World quest? You are still  2years away of leveling that character to 80...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Not to mention the ridicularity of launching events, which are world changing and part of the main story evolution, and not allow new and returning players to play them.... Don't this guys know how to program a simple phasing system? Are they that weak?

Is there any other game out there that completely leaves behind world changing events and not allow players to ever again see what happened?

I talk about this because Living Story Season 1 is completely left for dead. Not even paying (which is ridiculous) one can play it.

Warcraft has phasing, Elder Scrolls also, is there any other game out there that locks all the new player and returning ones in regard to what happened in the game story wise?

you paid anything for season1 ? no demands the game dollars for season2 ? whats your problem then ?

man its obvious you live only to hate!  GW2 is not for you better step away and someone please lock this stupid hatred thread !

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I just can't wrap my head around those who feel it's bad that they charge for such content, or why it would anger anyone. In the grand scheme of things it's not much money, and it's a business model that relies on these small transactions to keep afloat. Much ado about nothing IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Like the title says, this is ridiculous. Is this their idea of calling players back?

I bought the box, and stopped playing a month after simply because the game had many problems in that time. Now, after seeing that a new Xpansion is arriving I decided to reinstall and retry the game, only to see that I have to pay to play...

The pay wall for content with the potential for regaining customers was always the height of idiocy, even if you don't factor in the backlash effect exhibited here.

GW2 makes money off people who find a reason to play the game then buying fluff items off the Gem Store. You need to get players invested in play and their characters first, before you will get them to open their wallets.

Apologists can defend them all they want, but looking at it analytically, it's a really, really dumb decision that certainly costs them a lot more in the long run than it makes for them. It's even more of a no brainer now, when they need to desperately to win back lost players if the expansion is going to have any chance at all at success.

Right now, expansion buzz brings players back, they see the pay wall on the content that is supposed to help win them back, then they leave again. How many of those people are going to buy an expansion?

Idiocy, and I don't mind using the word, as it's not hyperbolic, it's an entirely accurate observation of the strategy.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by fiontar

Like the title says, this is ridiculous. Is this their idea of calling players back?

I bought the box, and stopped playing a month after simply because the game had many problems in that time. Now, after seeing that a new Xpansion is arriving I decided to reinstall and retry the game, only to see that I have to pay to play...

The pay wall for content with the potential for regaining customers was always the height of idiocy, even if you don't factor in the backlash effect exhibited here.

GW2 makes money off people who find a reason to play the game then buying fluff items off the Gem Store. You need to get players invested in play and their characters first, before you will get them to open their wallets.

Apologists can defend them all they want, but looking at it analytically, it's a really, really dumb decision that certainly costs them a lot more in the long run than it makes for them. It's even more of a no brainer now, when they need to desperately to win back lost players if the expansion is going to have any chance at all at success.

Right now, expansion buzz brings players back, they see the pay wall on the content that is supposed to help win them back, then they leave again. How many of those people are going to buy an expansion?

Idiocy, and I don't mind using the word, as it's not hyperbolic, it's an entirely accurate observation of the strategy.

You're under the assumption that everyone has the tight-wallet ideal that you, the OP, and a few others here have.   From a business perspective, what A.Net did is superbly genius.   With the buzz of the expansion it brings back people who have either left the game entirely or new players. 

With example of new players who got the game for like $10 during the PAX South weekend, paying $17.50 to get the S2 story and catch up with what's going on up to the expansion is nothing.   Still makes the game only $27.50 and they're no longer behind in everything. 

Looking at past players who have missed the content because they completely abandoned the game (ya, that really sounds like a loyal customer that A.Net wants to support...right *sarcasm*), they can get the story if they'd like to catch up with it for the $17.50.  It's not a "pay wall" to play the game as everything that was accessible to them before is still now.   This is a PvE story mission equivalent to a DLC release in an number of past games (Mass Effect games,  Far Cry 4, Oblivion, ect.).   Extra story content that is available to the player if they choose to get it beyond what was included in the box.    The major difference here is that A.Net rewarded dedicated players who were still playing the game -or even following it's news enough to read a piece and log in for less than 30sec in a 2 week period!- by providing the DLC story arcs free of charge (a whopping savings of $17.50!).

Returning players for PvP do not need the story and probably don't care either.

Returning players for WvW do not need the story and probably don't care either.

Returning players who cared about the story, probably bothered to log in for 30sec and get the story absolutely free of charge when it was available at that time.

So who's left?

That's the freeloading moochers who want something for nothing.  And I do mean nothing.  They don't bother to log into the game, don't want to do anything that all.  They want a F2P game were things are given to them for free and complain if the company charges for a few things to make some money to pay their developers so that they can feed their families! 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    That's the freeloading moochers who want something for nothing.  And I do mean nothing.  They don't bother to log into the game, don't want to do anything that all.  They want a F2P game were things are given to them for free and complain if the company charges for a few things to make some money to pay their developers so that they can feed their families! 

They paid their $60 just like everyone else......the "amount of time they played the game" or "dates they logged in" should not factor into how much money they have to pay to use the content when they so choose.......they paid as much money as you did, they "supported the developers" as much as you did, they kept A.Net's employees mouth's fed as much as you did....there are no "free to play freeloaders" in GW2. I am personally all for paying for content...as a matter of fact, I am currently subbed to 2 MMOs, one of which is "F2P".....at the very least, this should hopefully stop people from throwing the "GW2 gives everyone all the content for free" line in anyone's face who criticize the game.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

GuildWarsCeption!

Buy to play, to buy to play!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Why would I do that? Theres no shortage of other games to play...

Oh, great... Another guy who's only requirement for a game is that it is free. This mindset is a plague on the genre.

Look, you clearly wanted to play GW2, so it's clear that you like it. Do you not think games that you like and enjoy are worth your money?

Do you not want to see more of the type of game that you enjoy being made? Because that only happens when you put your money into the market.

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    What all you PRO GW2 people are forgetting is that the S2 content is only free to people who wanted to play the game OR who have the ability to make friends.  For those who can't make friends or even get invited by someone else to the content for free this is indeed a high hurdle to jump.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Siphaed

They paid their $60 just like everyone else......the "amount of time they played the game" or "dates they logged in" should not factor into how much money they have to pay to use the content when they so choose.......they paid as much money as you did, they "supported the developers" as much as you did, they kept A.Net's employees mouth's fed as much as you did....there are no "free to play freeloaders" in GW2. I am personally all for paying for content...as a matter of fact, I am currently subbed to 2 MMOs, one of which is "F2P".....at the very least, this should hopefully stop people from throwing the "GW2 gives everyone all the content for free" line in anyone's face who criticize the game.

So ...

All the time we were ingame, creating a stable and active community and occasionally we were buying items from the shop.

How exactly did people who didn't play for months or even years support the game and the devs as much as we did?

Harbinger of Fools
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by botrytis

People have played these and got the reward, now you want to come back and do all of them? Sorry they are all TEMPORARY - that means if you didn't get it at that time, you lost out. You can get it if you want to pay as they have to setup a special instance just for you.

This was the point of the LS content - temporary to make it seem the world was living.

That's why this game is so mismanaged.  LS content could be phased so that you can still experience it and catch up.  They chose another route of TEMPORARY content.

There would be no problem if everyone had to pay gems to unlock season stories.  Those who kept playing would have them without issue.  Giving it away to some and not others is another alienating move by them.  And to think they thought they could attract more players than WOW.  Considering it's B2P you can see how badly they missed their goal.