Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else notice Crowfall stole Das Tals idea?

LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
With this whole Seasonal worlds w/ a definate win condition.
Everyone thinks Crowfall is revolutionary, but Das Tal has been in Alpha for a year and they've been very upfront and public about having this same feature.

I just think we should give credit where it's due.

Comments

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    With this whole Seasonal worlds w/ a definate win condition. Everyone thinks Crowfall is revolutionary, but Das Tal has been in Alpha for a year and they've been very upfront and public about having this same feature. I just think we should give credit where it's due.

crowfall has been in development for something like a year and half.

XL is also working on  a civ mmo with has basically the samething.

das tal is alot less engine intensive....its hard to say who thought up what first. but its good that there will be multiple options out there.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Sure I can agree..
    But Das Tal has made it public long ago. It's also been in development for year.

The difference is many people have played Das Tal, including myself, and know it has good gameplay and smooth controls.

Crowfall, while exciting, has only shown some screenshots. Not even a video as of yet.

Das Tal is most likely further along in development and will release a year or more sooner.
    BTW, I just looked at some ambient effects they are putting into Das Tal (cloud and bird shadows) and they look simply amazing.
  • SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I think given that many of the CrowFall developers worked on Shadowbane (saw server zergs make servers borked after a point) and how they added new servers with various conditions this idea has been around for a while in their heads.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im all for innovation and taking risks to break the mold in mmos, but when games borrow ideas from other games its not about who invented that idea, its about who makes it work better. Doesnt WoW ring a bell here? whatever ideas they borrow from others they make them superior. They are still the king for a reason, and lore alone is not it.

So between Crowfall and DasTal, who cares who came up with X feature, who will make it better? thats the question. My opinion, of course.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, it doesn't really matter.

Whether they actually stole the concept or not is likely something we'll never know. It does happen, but it's far more common for developers to have similar ideas that happen to get rolled out at comparable times. Ideas aren't born in a vacuum, developers talk. There are entire forums where developers share ideas, not to mention events like the GDC.

While it's generally frowned on to steal another's IP, taking ideas from another's mechanics or business model is actually often encouraged. How do you think genres get made.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I haven't checked out any of these games. Are these seasons you're talking about like the long-term leagues in Path of Exile? Those and the short race leagues need to be adopted by everyone for whom it makes sense. 
  • jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Even if they did steal things....Das Tal looks like shit, and I'm not going to play it (unless it's a tablet game in which case it looks fine)....so I'd rather a game that isn't going to look like shit have good features too so I can play those features. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    With this whole Seasonal worlds w/ a definate win condition. Everyone thinks Crowfall is revolutionary, but Das Tal has been in Alpha for a year and they've been very upfront and public about having this same feature. I just think we should give credit where it's due.

I'm sure the police won't charge for it, thats like stealing someones trash off the curb.  Things like seasons are the antithesis of an mmorpg.

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by MisterZebub
    Originally posted by Sojhin
    I think given that many of the CrowFall developers worked on Shadowbane (saw server zergs make servers borked after a point) and how they added new servers with various conditions this idea has been around for a while in their heads.

Shadowbane also had servers with differing rules sets, aka Lore Servers. And also had a server that got wiped after a certain amount of time. So if anything Das Tal ripped off Shadowbane.

This.

The winners of that server in Shadowbane got their own NPC spawn put on all the live servers.

Crowfall has heavy Shadowbane roots.  So Crowfall trumps Das Tals.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Civilization online has been very public about having developing game-world that also ends.

Trove made big headlines about how their worlds would end and new generated back in 2013.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Did they ever say the invented the idea?  I thought they merely said that they would be using it in their game?
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

You mean, an MMORPG did something another game did?  Next you're going to tell me there is a world outside my front door!

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Kaladin

You mean, an MMORPG did something another game did?  Next you're going to tell me there is a world outside my front door!

Sshhhh!  That's supposed to be an insider secret.