Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New pledge reward - bank slots

Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Seems this game is becoming more and more a pay to win game. Now they sell bank space for real life money which is a pledge reward that will favor the real life rich just like the house system. 

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/about-the-new-pledge-rewards-bank-slots.21212/#post-315917

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=48082

Comments

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

Richard will never allow for a pay to win feature. Keep in mind, those who are paying for this game to be produced and published (pledges and backers) are receiving hundreds of items at the very beginning which is automatically placed in their bank. Also, every month we have a new opportunity to complete the Grand Tour which is unique to each month, rewarding 1 hat which will be in your bank at launch. All of these items that we pledges will start with on Day 1 can quickly fill up the standard bank.

"Release 14 included Bank storage as a major new feature. For that initial release, we gave everyone a fixed bank size that could hold 1000 items. Starting with Release 15, initial bank size will be based on pledge level. The bigger the pledge the more bank slots you will start with."

"Current thinking is that players will be able to purchase additional slots with in-game gold (up to a limit) and expansions beyond that will be purchasable through the add on store."

If you believe bank slots are going to hurt this game, I can't imagine what you feel about all the other games in development and published by subcontractors of EA as most games are.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Etheom

Richard will never allow for a pay to win feature. Keep in mind, those who are paying for this game to be produced and published (pledges and backers) are receiving hundreds of items at the very beginning which is automatically placed in their bank. Also, every month we have a new opportunity to complete the Grand Tour which is unique to each month, rewarding 1 hat which will be in your bank at launch. All of these items that we pledges will start with on Day 1 can quickly fill up the standard bank.

"Release 14 included Bank storage as a major new feature. For that initial release, we gave everyone a fixed bank size that could hold 1000 items. Starting with Release 15, initial bank size will be based on pledge level. The bigger the pledge the more bank slots you will start with."

"Current thinking is that players will be able to purchase additional slots with in-game gold (up to a limit) and expansions beyond that will be purchasable through the add on store."

If you believe bank slots are going to hurt this game, I can't imagine what you feel about all the other games in development and published by subcontractors of EA as most games are.

Look again, these all could be perceived as P2W by some folks, and yes, in some games having more bank slots to do crafting, or store extra weapon/armor sets is actually part of the power progression curve as it enables the person with more slots to do more without resorting to mule accounts or paying for more.

Keep in mind, P2W is entirely in the eye of the beholder, and what one person finds as acceptable, another abhors. 

Regarding this last statement, many people here think  games published by EA are shit, and the company is the devil incarnate. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

P2W should stop being used.  Its pay to have an advantage. 

If you start the game with housing and more bank slots, then u will have advantage.  You won't have to allocate gold to bank slots and housing which will lead you to have funds available for other aspects of the game.

If I didn't have to worry  about buying a house, I could use all my gold to purchase better gear, more potions etc.  Thus, that player will have a head start in developing his character and progressing in the game.  

If there are 2 people who PvP and one already has a house and plenty of bank storage, he then could use all of his gold / resources to maximize his PvP potential and gain advantage.  

Same for a crafter, if I have a house and max bank slots then I'll be able to hoard more resources and items for crafting.  I will be able to level that crafter faster then a person with less storage.  That crafter will most likely increase his skill quicker and become established sooner than a player without those advantages.  Like UO, the first Grandmaster crafters were always well known and favored.  They had vendors setup sooner etc and this leads to an advantage. 

Its that simple.  ADVANTAGE which could = winning in whatever your goal is (owning a house, becoming the 1st grandmaster, making more gold etc).

Games have to stop selling advantage, that creates the imbalance between people.  I have no problem if everyone starts the game equally and then that advantage is earned, but to start off with such an advantage just puts a sour taste in my mouth.

I mean, they are selling players towns too !  Those 1st towns will have an edge in drawing in people, selling from vendors and building guilds.  Just like UO, whoever started setting up players towns the quickest became well known and had more visits then towns that came after.  

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by GungaDin

If you start the game with housing and more bank slots, then u will have advantage.  You won't have to allocate gold to bank slots and housing which will lead you to have funds available for other aspects of the game.

If I didn't have to worry  about buying a house, I could use all my gold to purchase better gear, more potions etc.  Thus, that player will have a head start in developing his character and progressing in the game.  

If there are 2 people who PvP and one already has a house and plenty of bank storage, he then could use all of his gold / resources to maximize his PvP potential and gain advantage.  

Same for a crafter, if I have a house and max bank slots then I'll be able to hoard more resources and items for crafting.  I will be able to level that crafter faster then a person with less storage.  That crafter will most likely increase his skill quicker and become established sooner than a player without those advantages.  Like UO, the first Grandmaster crafters were always well known and favored.  They had vendors setup sooner etc and this leads to an advantage. 

Its that simple.  ADVANTAGE which could = winning in whatever your goal is (owning a house, becoming the 1st grandmaster, making more gold etc).

Games have to stop selling advantage, that creates the imbalance between people.  I have no problem if everyone starts the game equally and then that advantage is earned, but to start off with such an advantage just puts a sour taste in my mouth.

I mean, they are selling players towns too !  Those 1st towns will have an edge in drawing in people, selling from vendors and building guilds.  Just like UO, whoever started setting up players towns the quickest became well known and had more visits then towns that came after.  

Then we should start selling swords 100x more powerful than anything crafted or dropped in the game.

Since thereis (and never has been) an official way to "win" an mmo- its merely an advantage to have weapons 100x more powerful than everyone else who doesnt pay  real money.

No problem.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

Then we should start selling swords 100x more powerful than anything crafted or dropped in the game.

Since thereis (and never has been) an official way to "win" an mmo- its merely an advantage to have weapons 100x more powerful than everyone else who doesnt pay  real money.

No problem.

?

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Well said. 

• EarthgirlEarthgirl Member UncommonPosts: 97

The game is shaping up to be a fine game, and with this last release I am enjoying everything other then crafting, which I beleive they are still working on.

That out of the way, no one can honestly say it is not pay for a tremendous advantage anymore.  It has become very obvious who is appreciated.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't really consider the bank slots pay to win. You can buy them in game with gold, so really no need to buy them with real money unless you just want to. With all buy to play and free to play games their shops are where they will make money so things like bank slots, extra characters, special dyes and cosmetic clothing etc. etc. are what I usually expect to see on shops when I buy a b2p game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot