Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nothing has changed; Western MMOrpgs still fail while WoW is still the King in 2015.

Comments

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    If you want to test the quality of a game ask yourself this. If the game was released today. Would it compete with the other contenders in ths genre? what would we say then about a game with 10 year old patched gfx, broken pvp, broken crafting, constant balancing issues, long periods where the only real content is repeating the same bosses over and over/ all with a £10 sub where the vast majority of that sub goes steaight to shareholders. It would be laughed of the street, just like wildstar (and that was much more up to date)

Sentimentality and addiction to an achievement record does not make a great game.

It has nothing to do with sentimentality, it has to do with quality. WoW still blows of the water every contender in the market today, mainly the other most played titles, like GW2, SWToR, Elder Scrolls etc, those all look like incompetents doing....

They lack the simplest technical evolutions of the genre, like phasing among others.

WoW did evolve, alot, and Blizzard is probably the only decent and professional team of MMO devs on the market.

The numbers speak for themselves and people gladly pay for this quality... and they are rewarded for their job, they don't need to sell zones or quests for bucks. Or lock bag slots to be bought with yet another buck

Grats to them and they will still be leaders 10 years from now.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Quality lol, half of WOW Is broken, and they suckle on your money and throw back scraps every 2 years. Both ESO and GW2 blow wow away on most fronts. what is Blizzard actually good at - creating an environment where the pkayer base argues for a company that makes thousands of % profit.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by scorpex-x

8 million or 10 million, it really doesnt matter. Name another mmo with even 1 single million subs.   Its a 10 year old title with 10 to 20 times as many subs as any other mmo, quibbling over how vast the lead is kinda silly.

And all divided on servers with 2k player limits, how sad.....

so how many of those 10M have you actually met ingame, and fought against?

I will disagree with you. Smaller servers are almost always better. You build more community on a smaller server than a mega server. Servers should be more segregated than they are now, not less.

You can't be more wrong. A game with 1 big  community, where you can grab territories, build a empire and see it grow and eventually die where people talk about it for years to come is always better compared to a game that is limited to a 'community' of like 1000-2000 players tops (full server in the glory days), and where your actions do not have a single impact on the gameworld, ever.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Muke
    (...)

You can't be more wrong. A game with 1 big  community, where you can grab territories, build a empire and see it grow and eventually die where people talk about it for years to come is always better compared to a game that is limited to a 'community' of like 1000-2000 players tops (full server in the glory days), and where your actions do not have a single impact on the gameworld, ever.

what ender meant was, it's better to actually know your enemy or allied, than fighting with "random people" that you might never see again, and not due to playtime but due to server tech

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Quality lol, half of WOW Is broken, and they suckle on your money and throw back scraps every 2 years. Both ESO and GW2 blow wow away on most fronts. what is Blizzard actually good at - creating an environment where the pkayer base argues for a company that makes thousands of % profit.

LOL, speak about WoW being broken! 

ESO is a solid game yes but it has alot of issues with classes and quests, but GW2 is a poor excuse of a game, it has no technical evolution whatsoever, even their so called events are one time, poorly written, and uninsteresting. There is no phasing system, dungeons are broken and again uninteresting and unrewarding, WvW bring nothing new to the table and all in all it's just a GW1 but with people all around the map, since in GW1 you only saw other players in towns.

In fact numbers speak for themselves, latest Blizzard official numbers show 10 MIllion!, yes Million subscribers,. while latest NCSoft number (shown this last few days) show a very very small percentage of that in terms of profit... it's not even a percentage, it's bread crumbs, its peanuts, and very dry ones...

Keep telling yourself wow is bad, the fact is that it competely obliterates and will obliterate anything else in the market for YEARS to come!

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

Wow can attribute its success in the West with 3 letters. PVE. 

Archeage and games like it that force people to PVP and limits what a game offers due to PVP are flitted amongst one another by people who play it for a few months than move on or move back to WoW when a new expansions pops out. The F2P model only adds concrete to the sandy bottom. People load it up, play a few months then unload it and move on. The core of what keeps a game like WoW or EQers still paying that monthly fee is PVE and content. I will admit I played EQ1 for almost 10 years before my beloved guild broke up and disbanded. I've tried Rift, AoC, SWTOR, Archeage and a host of other games and left...wanting. PVP can be fun at times but it's not going to sustain people who, like me get out of work and log in for some PVE adventure and crafting. No Pay2win shops *cough* Archeage *cough*, even though the devs believe that the ingame store is not a game changer. One sub and everyone is on same playing field. I played EQ1 for 10, EQ2 for 4 and everything else maybe a few months. Thats 14 years of subs. Or upwards of $2352. Archage had me buy the $150 early start and I never got to pay the sub. I quit before my freebies were up. Rag on PVE all you want but I managed to get into great guilds and those games held my attention and my loyalty. 

Star Citizen looks to be amazing but sadly, for what they have given away (sold away) already? It will have a huge initial player base but PVP and the Pay2Win model is going to turn people off like in Archeage. If I have only a couple hours in the evenings and more on the weekends to play a game. It's not going to be one where I mine, full my cargo hold then get blown to hell. I can get that in Rust or DayZ if I choose and I only indulge in those games when I'm feeling all masochistic and stuff. 

Because of Archeage I will never do another beta or alpha buy in or early access. Not doing it!

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by tryklon

LOL, speak about WoW being broken! 

ESO is a solid game yes but it has alot of issues with classes and quests, but GW2 is a poor excuse of a game, it has no technical evolution whatsoever, even their so called events are one time, poorly written, and uninsteresting. There is no phasing system, dungeons are broken and again uninteresting and unrewarding, WvW bring nothing new to the table and all in all it's just a GW1 but with people all around the map, since in GW1 you only saw other players in towns.

In fact numbers speak for themselves, latest Blizzard official numbers show 10 MIllion!, yes Million subscribers,. while latest NCSoft number (shown this last few days) show a very very small percentage of that in terms of profit... it's not even a percentage, it's bread crumbs, its peanuts, and very dry ones...

Keep telling yourself wow is bad, the fact is that it competely obliterates and will obliterate anything else in the market for YEARS to come!

lol you keep telling yourself that why you wipe on that boss for the 60th time this week, followed by 120 mins managing your minions.  as for ESO  the questing in ESO is far far superior to WOW now, and the bugs were sorted out a long time ago. 

ESO next patch - Justice system, AA system, RP/provisioning system, new skill tree.

WOW next patch, selfie support and twitter - on trend, give twerking!

But tell me why does Blizzard not deliver 10 times the content when it earns 10 times the profit?  mugsfarmus?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• marcmymarcmy Member UncommonPosts: 95
    If you want to test the quality of a game ask yourself this. If the game was released today. Would it compete with the other contenders in ths genre? what would we say then about a game with 10 year old patched gfx, broken pvp, broken crafting, constant balancing issues, long periods where the only real content is repeating the same bosses over and over/ all with a £10 sub where the vast majority of that sub goes steaight to shareholders. It would be laughed of the street, just like wildstar (and that was much more up to date)

Sentimentality and addiction to an achievement record does not make a great game.

It has nothing to do with sentimentality, it has to do with quality. WoW still blows of the water every contender in the market today, mainly the other most played titles, like GW2, SWToR, Elder Scrolls etc, those all look like incompetents doing....

They lack the simplest technical evolutions of the genre, like phasing among others.

WoW did evolve, alot, and Blizzard is probably the only decent and professional team of MMO devs on the market.

The numbers speak for themselves and people gladly pay for this quality... and they are rewarded for their job, they don't need to sell zones or quests for bucks. Or lock bag slots to be bought with yet another buck

Grats to them and they will still be leaders 10 years from now.

(let me rephrase) You seem to give Blizzard a lot of credit.

Sorry to break this to you but Blizzard is no different than any other company on the market. They were in the right place at the right time when WoW was made, and they happened to already have a following thanks to some great games the company had before that. The Blizzard that I loved was Blizzard North and that Blizzard is dead. The people that make up Blizzard nowadays aren't nearly as talented and creative as they were.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by marcmy

Sorry to break this to you but Blizzard is no different than any other company on the market.

Really? What other companies have every single one of their games since the 1990s (starting from WC) sell millions.

• MiviMivi Member UncommonPosts: 83

Originally posted by hikaru77
    ¨The king¨ in this case, is just a point of view, like the 10 mill of subs. Most of the Western MMOs do not play on the Asian Market, So if you wanna make a fair comparision with Western MMOs, you cant take the asian numbers, and it WoW case, is pretty much 70-80% of the 10 Mill of subs Lie.  Like someone said, there is more people not playing WoW, than actually, playing it.  The only people who play the game is the same playerbase that have been playing it for the last 10 years.  For them, yes, it is the king. 

wow has currently 7.4~ millions of subscribers
    3,2~ west market, 0,8~ taiwan 3,4 asia market
    only west market and taiwan subscribers use the monthly sub model
    asia market expecially china use pay-per-hour model
    30%~ of player population is below 20 years old
    70%~ of game population is below 25 years old

data sources is from two companies our collaborators. but everyone should be able to find these info on internet whitout too much struggle, although more detailed infos are probably very expensive to reach

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by marcmy

Sorry to break this to you but Blizzard is no different than any other company on the market.

Really? What other companies have every single one of their games since the 1990s (starting from WC) sell millions.

I never denied that they sell millions, I'm simply saying that they aren't what people make them out to be. Their developers aren't necessarily better than those that work for other companies. They sell millions because of a name, history, franchise, etc. I guarantee you if you took a group of WoW devs and had them make a game, it wouldn't be anything special and no one would be interested in playing it. Oh wait, they already did that... It was called WildStar. 

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online, Elite: Dangerous | Recently played: FFXIV, Rift, LoTRO, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 | Single player RPGs: Dragon Age Inquisition, Skyrim

And this is another reason why they dominate.

They rewrote the entire games graphics and textures along the years, when this last expansion was released, all character models were remade with high detail, and now, just 3 months after, they are already improving lightning systems amongst others...

What other games out there have this kind of care when it comes to improving whats already launched? Because not only do they improve new content and zones, but also everything already available.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4709-Patch-6-1-Engineer%E2%80%99s-Workshop-Anti-Aliasing-Lighting

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Blizzards brand sells. I have a lot of friends who will instantly buy any game from blizzard, some of those folks are very stingy with their spending too! I am the same, I instantly buy everything from blizzard. I am just a blizzard fanboy I guess...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by MassAuthority

And the numbers speak for themselves;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4694-WoW-Stable-at-10-Million-Subscribers

Until then, the King is still the King. 

tl:dr but...

while you and other 10.000.000 players live happily every after with your only wife, there are other 10.000.0000+++ players who live happily having sex with different women from time to time. There is nothing wrong with that. Every single one writes his journey as he wants.

You and 10kk others with 1 

Other 10kk with more then 1.

At the end of the day everyone is happy. I have no ideea why the comparison. 

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

They rewrote the entire games graphics and textures along the years, when this last expansion was released, all character models were remade with high detail, and now, just 3 months after, they are already improving lightning systems amongst others...

What other games out there have this kind of care when it comes to improving whats already launched? Because not only do they improve new content and zones, but also everything already available.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4709-Patch-6-1-Engineer%E2%80%99s-Workshop-Anti-Aliasing-Lighting

This shows that Blizzard are serious about WoW being around for a long long time, no company would do stuff like this unless they are sure in their product.  I see lots of other companies promising things or un-delivering on things but Blizzard always puts out and aren't just full of hollow promises.

To Hefaistos

That comparison is stupid and has absolutely nothing to do with this, lol.

But I'll indulge you. Maybe those ppl only sleep with 1 woman because she is the best one, provides them with happiness and gives them all they could wish for.

While the others who sleep around, are just unfortunate because they cant find a single one which is good enough, they find no satisfaction, and only illusions, so they keep hopping around...

Seems to you a decent analogy to MMO's?

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

To Hefaistos

But I'll indulge you. Maybe those ppl only sleep with 1 woman because she is the best one, provides them with happiness and gives them all they could wish for.

While the others who sleep around, are just unfortunate because they cant find a single one which is good enough, they find no satisfaction, and only illusions, so they keep hopping around...

Or maybe, they are just as happy sleeping around with more than one woman and is completely satisfied?  There's more than one ways to look at things.  That's the problem with this website.  Most people are so one tracked minded they can't see anything pass their nose.

Originally posted by vandal5627

To Hefaistos

Or maybe, they are just as happy sleeping around with more than one woman and is completely satisfied?  There's more than one ways to look at things.  That's the problem with this website.  Most people are so one tracked minded they can't see anything pass their nose.

I disagree, thats not a problem with this website, thats a problem with this planet!

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by vandal5627

To Hefaistos

I disagree, thats not a problem with this website, thats a problem with this planet!

Ok, totally agree. lol

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

What has changed since the last "mmo's have failed" threads of 2014? Very little as many of the new indie and drastically different direction mmos are still in development.

Basically now 16 pages of the same old argument when staring at Wow. Wow wants to be popular. It is a product for a company. It's success does NOT diminish success of other mmos. The real story is the new and upcoming indie and alternative sub-genre mmos. Entire articles can be devoted to those which have nothing to do with how well Wow does.

You waste your time worrying about Wow. This thread wastes our time whining over the same argument prior to the bulk of the upcoming mmo releases yet to come. The new mmos do not compete with Wow as most of them are not even in the realm of themepark "clones". These products do not target the masses but instead the mmorpg crowd left behind by modern developers. This by definition means they will not compete with Wow because old school mmorpg players were never that abundant. If you like such mass market clones then you have plenty of choices.

Those players without choice do not care how successful Wow if they recognize the real core issues with the genre and it's new future with it's current crop of new games in development. What is however universal about mmo forum users is that telling them something will be fixed in a year only creates posts like "It's been months! Where's the fix!?1!" 2 months later.

You stay sassy!

^^ yup tam that's an accurate and fair take on things.

• bob_sandwichbob_sandwich Member Posts: 45
    The only thing I can say for blizzard is to not make the same mistake Everquest did ... Everquest 2.  World of Warcraft is a glorified chatroom with numbers that go up as you play. Zero risk and zero emergence - so of course brain dead parasites flock and pay money for it. Regularly these tards would be flocking to casinos mindlessly playing the slot machine and destroying their lives that way.
    Originally posted by bob_sandwich
    The only thing I can say for blizzard is to not make the same mistake Everquest did ... Everquest 2.  World of Warcraft is a glorified chatroom with numbers that go up as you play. Zero risk and zero emergence - so of course brain dead parasites flock and pay money for it. Regularly these tards would be flocking to casinos mindlessly playing the slot machine and destroying their lives that way.

Fortunately the world has alternative people like you, who are extra special and unique, and only play and consume quality items and goods.

All hail you and your uniqueness and extraordinary good taste... but alas, not all can be that way. Or else, you wouldnt be as special as you are!

Actually, starter zones look the same as they did 10 years ago. I should know, because I've started playing WoW several times over the past 5 years, and couldn't stick with it past lvl 10 because it looked so dated.

Originally posted by scorpex-x

This shows that Blizzard are serious about WoW being around for a long long time, no company would do stuff like this unless they are sure in their product.  I see lots of other companies promising things or un-delivering on things but Blizzard always puts out and aren't just full of hollow promises.

No company would? Seriously? With a game that has 10 million subs and makes as much money as they do with expansions and all, I find it hard to believe no company except Blizzard would make updates to their game system. This is just another example of people thinking Blizzard is somehow a Godly company when they really aren't.

I'm just tired of Blizzard worship. It's just like Apple worship, there's almost no difference. If a company makes a good product, fine. But don't talk about them like they can't do any wrong and everything they make is golden. It's utterly sickening.