Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess I keep looking.

MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96

I was looking into this game for a long time. I was about to buy a ship pack but one thing stuck in my head from long ago.
Someone called this a ship shop game. Where the main thing they sell are ships, And if you want another you have to pay cash. Ok I found out you can earn credits to buy ships to. However now there is a new issue.

Ship insurance!?! Seriously? Not bad enough I have to pay and keep one active for my cars in real life, now I have to have it for a VIRTUAL ship. Without it I can loose the ship I payed CASH for? Not only from it getting destroyed, but stolen!?! And even if it was one of the ships with a forever insurance if stolen, well, insurance don't transfer. Guess what it's not forever. No one will risk taking out there ship in fear it would be stolen. IMO loose the insurance cash grab, Make everyone pay the repair cost and make ships non steal-able. "Then I would buy into this"

Another thing, In this guys goal line he promised to add new features every 1 million bucks, Did you all even look to see what they were? Does a single feature like making a ships cargo hull bigger or something warrant a million bucks? Heck some entire games don't even cost this much. It just looks like one big CASH GRAB!

For 72 million bucks, you could have space, populated and playable planets mmo style rpgs with build-able city's and all.

Above is only my own opinion and this is what i'm entitled to. Flamers flame, I won't be replying to you. I may modify or change things as I see fit, So your referenced comments may not match.
Dev most likely don't care about any of this nor what you all think who do play, They already have your money. Yay capitalism.

Comments

• ICEBLUEICEBLUE Member UncommonPosts: 58

I was one of the early adopters, spent my money on the hype it was to become, but I am beginning to feel abut the same as you now. We should be seeing a lot more for the budget they have, considering the are using a premade engine, we should already have a playable game not just a shoot umm up area to fly around in. Either a serious mismanagement of money or a very good plan to make money is in play here, not 100% which it is.. :)

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester

Someone called this a ship shop game. Where the main thing they sell are ships, And if you want another you have to pay cash. Ok I found out you can earn credits to buy ships to. However now there is a new issue.

--> They sell pledge packages in a crowdfunding campaign. Part of the pledge package is a ship. They will NOT sell ships for real world money once the game has started (official answer from FAQ). EVERYTHING including ships will be available in game for in game money. NOTHING will only be availble for real world money exclusively - thats one of the SC design philosophies.

--> There is no need to buy anything more than the most basic pledge package unless you want to support the project. Every few weeks you can try out other ships than the one you "bought" for FREE. E.g. next week you can try out for free the Origin 300 series of ships.

Ship insurance!?! Seriously?

--> Many of the online spaceship games have ship insurance e.g. EVE Online. Star Citizen follows that trend. And yes, its a planned money drain.  However, as has often been stated, the ship insurance fee is a MINOR   amount of money. 

--> Why ship insurance ? Why a kind-of-permadeath in SC ? To avoid zerging in PvP, where you just suicide ram ships out of the game every 30 seconds.

Not bad enough I have to pay and keep one active for my cars in real life, now I have to have it for a VIRTUAL ship. Without it I can loose the ship I payed CASH for? Not only from it getting destroyed, but stolen!?!

--> Is it not wonderful that you can have your ship STOLEN ?!  ;-)   Nothing is sacred ... you  have to think about what you are doing and if you choose wrong, you have to face the consequences !   Finding a derelict ship in deep space, stoping your ship, EVAing over to the other ship and NOT realizing that it was a trap and someone is just entering YOUR ship via the hacked air lock and stealing it from under your nose .... those are the things that can happen to you in Star Citizen. If you DONT want that to happen, bring a friend. Or leave the drelict ship alone.

And even if it was one of the ships with a forever insurance if stolen, well, insurance don't transfer. Guess what it's not forever. No one will risk taking out there ship in fear it would be stolen.

--> like in EVE Online. If you do not want to have your ship stolen .. BRING FRIENDS ! There is no solo PWN-mobile flying in Star Citizen.

IMO loose the insurance cash grab, Make everyone pay the repair cost and make ships non steal-able. "Then I would buy into this"

--> There is a game design reason for having insurance ... see above.

Another thing, In this guys goal line he promised to add new features every 1 million bucks,

--> No he did not. Feel free to post your source.

Did you all even look to see what they were? Does a single feature like making a ships cargo hull bigger or something warrant a million bucks?

--> He never claimed that adding a Xian pot plant costs 1 million bucks. Its a flair item and every backer knows that. Real cost maybe 500 bucks. Its a nice gift to the backers.  They stopped adding new goals months ago, in an official announcement. They wanted to stop adding new goals about a year ago (to avoid feature creep), but the backers wanted them to continue for longer, which they did until the end of 2014.   

Heck some entire games don't even cost this much. It just looks like one big CASH GRAB!

--> Feel free to post your solution on how to get enough money to run the servers for the next few years and how to get enough money for the development of  an AAA quality/size game without big investors and publishers.

For 72 million bucks, you could have space, populated and playable planets mmo style rpgs with build-able city's and all.

--> And that is what we will get once Star Citizen is finished. See the Star Citizen WIKI. Developing all this takes time. Star Citizen follows pretty much the typical 4-5 years timeline for a AAA project. Some people cannot wait because they expect it to be finished in half that time. Thats not the way the cookie crumbles.  They usually do not realize that other projects have already been in the making for 4 years (or longer) before they even HEAR about it. 

Above is only my own opinion and this is what i'm entitled to. Flamers flame, I won't be replying to you. I may modify or change things as I see fit, So your referenced comments may not match.
    Dev most likely don't care about any of this nor what you all think who do play,

--> I personally have never seen a game project where the devs  

a) give so much detailed information about the project status

b) listen to the backer / tester feedback as much as in Star Citizen.

They already have your money. Yay capitalism.

--> May I recommend that you try to meet the team in person at a gaming convention ? IMHO (based on meeting them in 2014 in Germany)  this team does NOT care about the money as much as you think. They are as much fans of the genre as we are ... perhaps even more so. Creating something special seems to be their prime motivation.

Concerning the engine ... the CryEngine was heavily reworked by CIG (with the blessing of Crytek)  to work with 64 bit precision, which allows much larger playing areas. This rewriting took about a year. Star Citizen is NOT using the run-of-the-mill standard CryEngine.

Have fun

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

How about just forgetting the fact that they are selling ships to fund the game development and just waiting until its done.  Buy the game, earn a ship in game from playing and do everything else in game from playing.  You don't have to be part of early access or funding the game through the purchase of a ship before launch.

Just pretend early access doesn't exist and its in NDA being developed with internal funding and you can hardly wait for release.  You know the way games used to be made.

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

Ok, yep. They sell ships, that's how they get the money to create the game. This means that no business-man publishers will say a word about the development of the game, so no buggy-as-hell game that was rushed or things like that.

Yep, ships have insurance. Ships are ingame goods and the insurance it's payed with ingame currency. It's like when you have to repair your armor in typicals MMO. Ok, your ship can be stolen. That's why you have to defend yourself with your guns and/or with friends.

This game is about consecquences. You can pirate, but you'll get a reward for your head probably. Your character can die, your ship stolen or destroyed. If you do something wrong for a group or NPC, your reputation with them will suffer. Things like this.

About the "millions goals", the idea at first (when kickstarter) was to add features. Later was "reveal info or features" and after that they give things as a gift for the backers. But... lot of people thought a plant or a towel required 1 million bucks for create, so... CIG stopped with the "millions goals" as this people never wanted to understand the real reason behind this. The money is required for create the game. Right. There are things that was planned to add after the game release. Now as they have the money, they put that features before the game release.

And about time... not because you have 9 pregnant women you'll have a baby in 1 month. The game still need the 4-5 years for finish the development. They will release it when it's complete and tested, not like the AAA games of the last years, that had more bugs than the pre-alpha of the Arena Commander module itself (looking at you, Battlefield 4).

In march we'll have the FPS module (Or april). Probably in May we'll have the first part of the social module, allowing us to visit other hangars and the surface of a city and at end of the year the first chapter of the campaign (10 missions).

About info, you can look here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link

They give lot of it. There's also lore. The forum it's very active, too.

But if people has doubts about the game, they can wait for a more complete version, in beta or directly at release, but that would be at late 2016/beginning 2017 probably. Although this was considered indie, the scale it's for an AAA title, and it's at half development right now. They won't rush it for avoid the problems with bugs or features unimplemented that plague the actual videogames.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

They have managed to create the phantasie of a perfect space sim in my head.

Thats it.

A phantasie thats newly feed with Arena Commander, what not only works bad yet (yayadayada alpha prealpha we not there yet) but has nothing then some arcade with unfun shooting.

I dont have the feeling to be in space, but that is only because the space aint done yet.

Then they launched their PUBLIC TEST UNIVERSE ... man i feel so cheated now, after downloading all the GBs again for actually a test universe, just to find out it was only the testserver.

They cheat me.

There is no universe yet, no open room/world/whatever.

No idea what they are doing but it looks like they put a lot more effort in milking then in coding.

I have my Aurora, ready to chect the state of progress, but the puffy carebear mentality in that game already naggs me well.

I have my dounbts that the fun happens anytime soon, so lets wait and see ..

@rawfox

Did you check out the 3+ hours of Star Citizen Town Hall videos, showing a ton of new stuff coming up in the next months ?

Like the Mobiglas features ? Like the Jumppoint navigation ? Like the new landing zones / planetary surfaces ? Like the stellar map ? Like the NPC interaction ?  etc.

Have fun

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127

I was looking into this game for a long time. I was about to buy a ship pack but one thing stuck in my head from long ago.

Ship insurance!?! Seriously? Not bad enough I have to pay and keep one active for my cars in real life, now I have to have it for a VIRTUAL ship. Without it I can loose the ship I payed CASH for? Not only from it getting destroyed, but stolen!?! And even if it was one of the ships with a forever insurance if stolen, well, insurance don't transfer. Guess what it's not forever. No one will risk taking out there ship in fear it would be stolen. IMO loose the insurance cash grab, Make everyone pay the repair cost and make ships non steal-able. "Then I would buy into this"

Another thing, In this guys goal line he promised to add new features every 1 million bucks, Did you all even look to see what they were? Does a single feature like making a ships cargo hull bigger or something warrant a million bucks? Heck some entire games don't even cost this much. It just looks like one big CASH GRAB!

Dev most likely don't care about any of this nor what you all think who do play, They already have your money. Yay capitalism.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

--> Many of the online spaceship games have ship insurance e.g. EVE Online. Star Citizen follows that trend. And yes, its a planned money drain.  However, as has often been stated, the ship insurance fee is a MINOR amount of money. 

^ I'm sorry don't take offense to this but that is not true at all. There are plenty of space games that are online, on steam and on the internet that don't charge money for ships, insurance, and certainly don't charge 325$ for a single ship. Right now this game is selling the most in it's cash shop compared to all others, even EVE online.

1.) Ascent - The Space Game is an MMO and is a sandbox with one time purchase of 20$ with a 3$ sub, no cash shop and no selling of ships.

2.) Elite Dangerous has a one time purchase of 60$ the only things they sell in the cash shop is cosmetic items like ship paint, and real life stuff like t shirts, and other trivial merch.

3.) I've been playing EvE online for 10 years and I've never had to pay 125$, or 325$ just to try a single ship. Nor have I ever had to buy insurance for real money.

It's not my place to judge someone if they like a game or not. I'm really beyond that kind of elitism mentality and It's awesome you like this game and it looks really good, but please do some research into what your talking about because it makes you sound like a bit of a fanboi spreading false info to people who are generally trying to find factual information. (No offense)

Cheers
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by trash656

--> Many of the online spaceship games have ship insurance e.g. EVE Online. Star Citizen follows that trend. And yes, its a planned money drain.  However, as has often been stated, the ship insurance fee is a MINOR amount of money. 

^ I'm sorry don't take offense to this but that is not true at all. There are plenty of space games that are online, on steam and on the internet that don't charge money for ships, insurance, and certainly don't charge 325$ for a single ship. Right now this game is selling the most in it's cash shop compared to all others, even EVE online.

1.) Ascent - The Space Game is an MMO and is a sandbox with one time purchase of 20$ with a 3$ sub, no cash shop and no selling of ships.

2.) Elite Dangerous has a one time purchase of 60$ the only things they sell in the cash shop is cosmetic items like ship paint, and real life stuff like t shirts, and other trivial merch.

3.) I've been playing EvE online for 10 years and I've never had to pay 125$, or 325$ just to try a single ship. Nor have I ever had to buy insurance for real money.

It's not my place to judge someone if they like a game or not. I'm really beyond that kind of elitism mentality and It's awesome you like this game and it looks really good, but please do some research into what your talking about because it makes you sound like a bit of a fanboi spreading false info to people who are generally trying to find factual information. (No offense)

Cheers

cool, so OP complains about ship shops and having to insure your ship against ingame destruction (with ingame credits) and what you recommend are more ship grind games, also with the same type of ship insurance, and more grind than gameplay. Smart.

OP I guess Star Wars Battlefront 3 will be more up your alley when it comes out in December.

You'll probably be able to jump into an X-Wing right away and don't care about anything but aiming and shooting.

Or get the old X-Wing series on gog.com for the best space combat ever made.

Or get Star Ctizen only for the single player camapign, you'll get to fly all ships the military gives you to fly and you won't need to care about ship maintenance or insurance, just fly, pew pew and enjoy the story.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

Regardless of the game, when a game gives away large, preferred in game entities for the exchange of money to produce the game itself it is a P2W scenario. In the case of Star Citizen, while you're out trying to scrape together enough money just to pay off your first, starter ship, others will be hitting deep space at a run with an Idris filled with Hornets. While this game will offer you...like AA, a chance to play how you want, Fast, slow, what have you, its in PVP where you're going to really feel the sting. 

First thing, you'll need a machine to pump the game. You might be able to do fine with minimal graphics on a moderate machine but it will look and perform alot better on a much more impressive piece of hardware. 

Second, HOTAS hands down makes it MUCH easier to dogfight effectively. Some of these...are not so cheap. A joystick will work to some degree (I tried a Logitech 3D but my Saitek HOTAS and Peddles really makes it easy to pull more complex maneuvers in Arena. But disadvantage is disadvantage regardless of what it is.

Third, PVP. You're going to get raped by the big boys in your little aurora more often then not. Like grinding for weapon token in AA. 

Insurance and repairs costs. The fanboys will attack people who put down their game but lets be honest. It is...their game. They paid top dollar for it and they will continue to pay. This game looks great and it will be produced in full when its ready and not before. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by trash656

Cheers

HI Trash656,

the difference is ... Ascent is not a crowdfunding game (its early access on Steam, a nice game with nice mechanics and abysmal graphics). EVE is not a crowdfunding game (and if you have a sub for EVE you DID pay insurance with real world money ... if you paid with PLEX, SOMEONE paid for your insurance with HIS real world money ... I am playing EVE for 11 years now).

E:D ... your facts are correct. However, the scope of E:D in its current form is MUCH MUCH smaller than SC  (no avatars, no economy except for trading, no social interaction with NPCs, buggy Peer-to-peer connection etc.)

The pledge packages and ships in SC you refer to are only sold during the pledge campaign. After game launch there will be no ship selling for real world money. You will get a few temporary tune-ups, cosmetic items and some low level equipment.

There is NO need to buy any ship for 325 $ unless you want to. You can get EVERY ship for in game money once the game has started. There will be NO items in the game exclusively available for real world money - its a SC design principle.

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

Second, HOTAS hands down makes it MUCH easier to dogfight effectively. Some of these...are not so cheap. A joystick will work to some degree (I tried a Logitech 3D but my Saitek HOTAS and Peddles really makes it easy to pull more complex maneuvers in Arena. But disadvantage is disadvantage regardless of what it is.

Sadly when it comes to combat, mouse completely trumps joystick and makes it more like an arcade game than the sim it's meant to be.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Regardless of the game, when a game gives away large, preferred in game entities for the exchange of money to produce the game itself it is a P2W scenario. In the case of Star Citizen, while you're out trying to scrape together enough money just to pay off your first, starter ship, others will be hitting deep space at a run with an Idris filled with Hornets. While this game will offer you...like AA, a chance to play how you want, Fast, slow, what have you, its in PVP where you're going to really feel the sting.  First thing, you'll need a machine to pump the game. You might be able to do fine with minimal graphics on a moderate machine but it will look and perform alot better on a much more impressive piece of hardware.  Second, HOTAS hands down makes it MUCH easier to dogfight effectively. Some of these...are not so cheap. A joystick will work to some degree (I tried a Logitech 3D but my Saitek HOTAS and Peddles really makes it easy to pull more complex maneuvers in Arena. But disadvantage is disadvantage regardless of what it is. Third, PVP. You're going to get raped by the big boys in your little aurora more often then not. Like grinding for weapon token in AA.  Insurance and repairs costs. The fanboys will attack people who put down their game but lets be honest. It is...their game. They paid top dollar for it and they will continue to pay. This game looks great and it will be produced in full when its ready and not before. 

On the other hand, I cant wait to melt someones $500 virtual spaceship...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Remember this the next time you see a kickstarter asking for a mere $800,000 dollars to build you the perfect game.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Actually, many players have more stones than you give them credit for. People in EVE routinely fly ships worth a horrific amount of ISK, a kill mail I just read had a solo player lose a ship worth 148B ISK, translated to real world plex purchases it values over $2700 I think, and there is no insurance in EVE you can buy to cover a loss like this.

While I do share some of your concerns, those plans/goals were sort of made when he had no idea the game would be so popular and he would raise so much money, design sort of has to be done with this broader view in mind and not feature by feature so much.

You may find this hard to believe, but 72M is not a lot of money when it comes to building MMORPG's, especially with all the features you want.  CCP has spent more than this over the years, and there's no ground game/playable planets anywhere on the horizon unfortunately.

If you are going to participate in a discussion forum then you have to be ready to discuss, defend, and respond to others, (even trolls and flamers) otherwise, don't waste our valuable time posting here, we can just as easily put you on block.  image Takes some fortitude to participate in the forum PVP, best to learn how to handle it.

I have a lot of doubts about this game, same as you, but I find MMORPG's are a sum of their parts, and until all the pieces are delivered, you really just don't know how well a particular feature will turn out, or if you will like it.

I'm a carebear at heart, but I play EVE because I like the way the PVP model is implemented, others abhor it of course, but such is the nature of all things.  

I'll be waiting to see how this title turns out in the end before I give them any money, and there's going to be a provision for this as well, so no complaints on my part.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Regardless of the game, when a game gives away large, preferred in game entities for the exchange of money to produce the game itself it is a P2W scenario.

--> Then every Kickstarter with a varying level of pledge packages and an in game item for it (be it a sword, a blaster or a ship etc.) is P2W according to your definition. Which means .. basically almost every Kickstarter game.  There is a thread about P2W (about 18.000+ postings long) on the SC forum. Including a detailed official statement by CIG.

In the case of Star Citizen, while you're out trying to scrape together enough money just to pay off your first, starter ship, others will be hitting deep space at a run with an Idris filled with Hornets. While this game will offer you...like AA, a chance to play how you want, Fast, slow, what have you, its in PVP where you're going to really feel the sting. 

--> It has been calculated numerous time by backers based on the available information that after at max 1 month of non hardcore playing any starting advantages from pledge package ships is basically gone. Yes, some people could earn some more money a few days earlier than others. But they at the moment  only can buy MORE SHIPS with it .... which wont matter, as they can only fly one ship at a time. So after one month the playing field will be levelled. Because BIGGER IS NOT BETTER in SC. Bigger, more expensive ships just have another role than your average single seater fighter. There are no solo pwn-mobiles in SC. And after at max 1 month everyone has his (smaller) ship of choice  ... and orgs will have their bigger ship of choice if paying together (except Bengal carrier, but that one cannot be bought anyway and has a complete different set of acquisition rules).

First thing, you'll need a machine to pump the game. You might be able to do fine with minimal graphics on a moderate machine but it will look and perform alot better on a much more impressive piece of hardware. 

--> Any Wing Commander style game was always known to basically require a new rig. This  just follows an old tradition. That is also one of the reasons why the castrated consoles were never an option for SC.

--> 60 bucks upward for HOTAS. Yes, you can sink hundreds of bucks into such a system if you want. Heck, some people basically build a cockpit with multiple screens, touchpads and hydraulics. This is - after all - a flight sim. And have you seen a mouse recently in a  Cessna or Airbus cockpit ?

Third, PVP. You're going to get raped by the big boys in your little aurora more often then not. Like grinding for weapon token in AA. 

--> Why should you ? Stay in the more civilized systems, put your PvE-PvP slider all the way to the PvE and its highly unlikely (although technically not possible) to get raped in PvP.  Not to mention the police grabbing your attacker by his cohones in no time at all. And if you go tourist in Spider with your Aurora and an attitude, you deserve to pick up the soap.

Insurance and repairs costs. The fanboys will attack people who put down their game but lets be honest. It is...their game. They paid top dollar for it and they will continue to pay.

--> Untrue and a generalization. Easy to see ... 74 mil and 765.000 backers. Calculate the average spending. Its less than 100 bucks.

This game looks great and it will be produced in full when its ready and not before. 

--> I agree fully with that.

--> Have fun

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Sadly when it comes to combat, mouse completely trumps joystick and makes it more like an arcade game than the sim it's meant to be.

That has changed a lot with the latest patches.

Have fun

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I think your premium should go up if you are in the habit of losing ships.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by ICEBLUE

I was one of the early adopters, spent my money on the hype it was to become, but I am beginning to feel abut the same as you now. We should be seeing a lot more for the budget they have, considering the are using a premade engine, we should already have a playable game not just a shoot umm up area to fly around in. Either a serious mismanagement of money or a very good plan to make money is in play here, not 100% which it is.. :)

I find it amusing that this game may very well make more money off of players before it launches than after.  

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Erillion

Have fun

Which shows how dire it was before the change :-) . Gimballed weapons on a mouse controlled ship is far better than a joystick controlled ship.  A quick glance at the leaderboards shows mouse is ~70% representation.

I do hope they manage to nail it, flying is certainly more fun with a joystick and it would suck to feel disadvantaged because you choose to use one.

• TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Erillion

Have fun

Which shows how dire it was before the change :-) . Gimballed weapons on a mouse controlled ship is far better than a joystick controlled ship.  A quick glance at the leaderboards shows mouse is ~70% representation.

I do hope they manage to nail it, flying is certainly more fun with a joystick and it would suck to feel disadvantaged because you choose to use one.

Fear not, gimballs are being nerfed.

All we know so far is, gimball weapons will only work a size smaller than the weapons slot.

There is a design post coming for it when 1.1 goes live, so look out for that. They are aware of the issue.