Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: On Removing Pillars of the Everquest Community

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If Smedley is next, I can live with Dave getting fired.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well to be fair we have a at best microscopic insight in to the day to day operations of SEO/DB. For all we know this move might make the team more efficient. There might have been a overflow of people in some department and rather then keeping them the new owners feel secure in the ability to re-hire if the need arises.

phalic move.. sure... But not very unexpected.

That being said i never exactly expected EQ:N to deliver even half of what they promised to begin with. So all in all i just shrug my shoulders, wish the people laid off the best of luck and continue to watch the development (or cancelation) of EQ:N from my desk as before.

Shit happens and sometimes things does just not pan out... just ask the people who backed Godus... =P

This have been a good conversation

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Talonsin

We can only hope.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by andre369
    Now, not only will EQN be casual. It will be casual and pay to whatever you define as winning. 

I had little hope in the game as it was, now that a investment corp is in charge.. There is zero chance of EQN, being an actual game world. Yet another themepark with tacked on sandbox features with a cash shop. 

Good start to 2015. 

How could this game be more casual than it already looked? One hot bar,you can play every class on one character,cartoon graphics,F2P with cash shop was all already announced,DO NOT blame Daybreak if the game goes ahead like this because it can not be more aimed at casual console type players. I wouldn't give a crap if it was cancelled tbh.

• VyranixVyranix Member UncommonPosts: 7
    These buy outs are never good for the customers or employees of the studio.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

Fire Smed.  100% refunds for H1Z1, cancel EQNext, then let Daybreak Game Company go out of business.  I could care less.  We all know with Smed behind the helm, and now even more so with this investment company behind it,  massive paywalls will be the name of the game (even worse than before).

EQNext, if it even happens, will be the next generation of P2W.  Smed is great at finding new innovative ways to effectively butt-rape his customers.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    y erbody gotta hate on Smed? :(

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I say, keep your eyes on H1Z1. That should be a good indicator of how they will manage EQN.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    This is actually really good for us.  If Dave joins up with another company or even better forms his own company we could have another MMO on the way :)
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Grailer
    This is actually really good for us.  If Dave joins up with another company or even better forms his own company we could have another MMO on the way :)

If he or his game was any good, why did he lose his job?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Talonsin

We can only hope.

AGREE.

EQ Next dug it's own grave.  Anyone that designed it can go.  Now having said that I have no idea if they fired those who opposed the EQ next directive or those that were key to its formulation -- Smedley still there is not a good sign.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Who honestly thinks it's NOT time for major change in a studio that hasn't released a "hit" in over a decade, and whose latest reveal (EQN/Landmark) fell on deaf ears and massive disappointment?
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Lots of people (including shareholders) completely ignore the extremely negative effect that redundancies have on people staying in the job...

It's not just losing 1 brain or 1 developer. Companies are social constructs and so there is a social aspect to it.

When you see your colleagues being "removed", you stop investing yourself long term in the projects (stop caring) and start looking for new jobs.

And here is me who thought there would be more resources available. Did anyone really believe that for a minute?

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Who honestly thinks it's NOT time for major change in a studio that hasn't released a "hit" in over a decade, and whose latest reveal (EQN/Landmark) fell on deaf ears and massive disappointment?

The question is: would you trust these investors to make positive changes? If you look at the investors' portfolio, do you really believe they can bring anything "positive" to the business?

I personally think the company is going to be dismantled rather than salvaged but I hope I am proven wrong.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    MacQuaid 's revenge.
    -Chuckles
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Dump Smed & pick up MacQuaid. It's the only way forward thru the storm.
    -Chuckles
  • LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I really liked Smokejumper.

Perhaps his optimism was just for show, perhaps it was legit. Either the case, the man did his job very well.

He will be sorely missed at least by me. Everquest just isn't the same without that sinister smile and upbeat attitude leading the community.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

YEARS of development, imagination, creativity, ingenuity, ... DOWN THE DRAIN!

The chances of EQN actually being made are slim to none in my view.

Why?  Because investment firm BUSINESS MOTHERFUCKERS with NO REGARD for humanity decided to take over.

... RIP EQN....

.... One of the last hopes of MMORPG genre....

:*(

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by superconducting

The chances of EQN actually being made are slim to none.

Why?  Because investment firm BUSINESS MOTHERFUCKERS with NO REGARD for customers or employees decided to take over.

... RIP EQN....

Ok, let's not overreact.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    I really liked Smokejumper.

Perhaps his optimism was just for show,  perhaps it was legit. Either the case, the man did his job very well.
    Most definitely was an act.                                                                                                   I can't argue that ,he did do his job well as an employee but to a gamer he did nothing but put on that fake salesman smile.       

He will be sorely missed at least by me. Everquest just isn't the same without that sinister smile and upbeat attitude leading the community.

Now try to make sense of it all?

First of all you like how Daybreak makes that announcement then at the end they mention about working WITH the community,yet that Ahmeed guy left because they were NOT willing to work with community.

Now try to figure how the community guy leaves,key people in EQn are gone but NOT SMEDLEY?Does it make any sense?

That is why i mentioned before that i feel this take over deal included a contract that secures Smed's job for at least another 5 years,maybe 10.Now weather Daybreak wanted to keep Smed we will never know,that kind of news would only destroy the business.

I am sure the big names let go,that actually know the whole story were given great severance packages and had to sing a contract claiming silence.

One other thing of note,why did i see reports of him leaving then reports of him being laid off?I highly doubt he l;eft, like a 5% chance he left,i would lean more towards they let him go and the reasoning behind these choices would be interesting.

It really could be as simple as Daybreak already has people to do these jobs  and were committed more to their own people than those let go.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

You assume there is enough of a development team left to work on EQN

Far more than just two people were let go.

Typical corp lay offs, upper management was let go. The real grunt workers are there and the staff just below upper management will have to step up for the same pay I am sure. At this point I would like to know if the people in charge now will be headed in the direction they were given from people like David and Steve or are they being handed new direction to take things? At this point it seems anything is fair game so all we can do is wait and see. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by epoq

Fire Smed.  100% refunds for H1Z1, cancel EQNext, then let Daybreak Game Company go out of business.  I could care less.  We all know with Smed behind the helm, and now even more so with this investment company behind it,  massive paywalls will be the name of the game (even worse than before).

EQNext, if it even happens, will be the next generation of P2W.  Smed is great at finding new innovative ways to effectively butt-rape his customers.

I wish I could take your Fippy avatar away from you with a trash post like this. Smed was at the helm when they went down the road of F2P we have now, with no pay walls. Sub is 100% optional and one of the fairest payment models we have in MMOing currently. Give Smed some cred. 

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

Sure sucks seeing Dave go, as he seemed like a nice guy.. but to be super harsh here for a minute, I can see why he is gone.

I've just returned to Eq2 from a 6 year break, and its still same ol same ol.   they failed to put together a proper cross server grouping system for instances and raids in all this time, so you STILL spam LFG when trying to get a game in. not to mention other chars are so insanely OP they just solo all the content all the way to max level. so EQ2 is completely broken.  

EQN turned out to be nothing but Landmark that they have been working on for so long.. and what do we have today?  a hell of a minecraft clone, but thats not EQN now is it?  too much time spent on Landmark... forgelight is starting to look dated, the graphics was cartoony, the combat was retarded and progress was just way way too slow. Even the name EQ Next sounds stupid and uninspiring.  

So time for new managers, new directors, new talent - EQN as it starts off with the current version of landmark is a dead horse as soon as its released.. wrong engine, wrong artstyle, man, just so many wrongness in one game.  I'm actually hoping they cancel it and just start fresh.  build it on cryengine, build something awesome for PC, dont try and dumb the graphics down for console or low ends.. they have a great IP now, that's a good start.. make something awesome.  

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by superconducting

The chances of EQN actually being made are slim to none.

Why?  Because investment firm BUSINESS MOTHERFUCKERS with NO REGARD for customers or employees decided to take over.

... RIP EQN....

Ok, let's not overreact.

Funny how your point of contention was whether or not EQN was the next great hope for MMORPGs :)

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    /uninstall SOE -all