Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will someone PLEASE do a quality BUFFY VAMPIRE SLAYER MMO!?!?!

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
We need one! Please do a kickstarter for this! 

Comments

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242
    I think the foul taste of Twilight is still too fresh in our mouths to touch any sort of vampire I.P. for at least another 5-10 years
  • burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Just take the RPG ruleset and convert them to open world PVP in Sunnydale. Cant wait!
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Weren't they making one back in 2008?

I wonder what happened.  I just don't see how something like that could not make it.

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    I was thinking more like True Blood.
    They were, along with a firefly MMO but the company shut down in 2012. Somone needs to pick this title up! I would support a kickstarter!
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I'd only agree if when you die, you have to solve the "reality" puzzle and then choose the correct reallity. If you choose wrong, you lose all progress.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Buffy the who???! Seriously that show has been off the air for how many years now? While it might have been a interesting idea its time has passed, I'd bet that 99% of the rabid masses that watched that series have now moved on the walking dead or some other series
    If you were a fan of the show (and Joss WHEDON) then you will always be a fan, no matter how much time passes. I am re-watching the series for the 4th time now, and hoping for a Blu Ray release eventually. It would be nice if not an MMO based directly off the show, then at least an MMO with a similar premise. Could someone advise if theyre is any MMOS  that are similar?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by nebb1234
    I think the foul taste of Twilight is still too fresh in our mouths to touch any sort of vampire I.P. for at least another 5-10 years

Got my name all ready to go there: Sparkle Fangs

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I could see it as a single player game, but how would the world cope with thousands of vampire slayers in one city?  I think the franchise is too outdated though, and most people these days wouldn't have even heard of it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I could see it as a single player game, but how would the world cope with thousands of vampire slayers in one city?  I think the franchise is too outdated though, and most people these days wouldn't have even heard of it.

I take it that you're saying "most people these days" weren't around 10 years ago ? image

An IP is not nessasarily ruined if put into an MMO format, if done correctly and with people passionate about the source material. The idea that appeals to MMO is exactly that, the ability to be able to create your own character/personality and feel immersed in the world. Look at how they have expanded the Buffy-verse via season comics as more people wanted it to continue (and still does this day, I think they are up to Season 11 now). 

Dont forget that "Warcraft" was essentially an IP before it was an MMO, and I am sure there were people and naysayers who were shouting (Dont turn my beloved RTS Strategy game into an MMO!!) And look at it now!? 

I feel that if done properly (and the WERE making one), a Buffy MMO could very well succeed, you could have say, different dimensions (Servers) and only 1 person on that server can strive to be the slayer (similar in concept to the Emperor in ESO) yet once that person attains that illustriious title, they gain the abilities of the slayer, until somone PVPs them and takes the mantle, or something similar in concept. 

Heres hoping someone buys the rights and revives it, which may happen if they ever get the reboot movie off the ground. 

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I want the World of Darkness mmo dangit!
    That would be sufficiant - can someone maybe pick that one back up and do a Kickstarter? 
  • jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I wish I could have gotten into that show, but Sarah Michelle Gellar has one of the ugliest noses I've ever seen...I don't know what it is, but I can't look at ANYTHING else, or listen to her while she's on screen. I just think to myself "well that's terrible." I do however think Felicia Day is gorgeous....which makes it even worse! I can't watch the show because of SMG no matter how hard I try! Anyway I did see the movie, and that blond girl, and Luke Perry made a good team. So if it's based on that then I'm for it. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

I take it that you're saying "most people these days" weren't around 10 years ago ? image

Or maybe that a Twilight MMO might be more relevant? Oh! That did it, I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• First player to log in on a server gets to be that server's Buffy. The rest can only play vampires.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by burdock2
    They were, along with a firefly MMO but the company shut down in 2012. Somone needs to pick this title up! I would support a kickstarter!

Not really on board with a Buffy MMO. Firefly however, is a much different story. I think it could make an awesome and interesting MMO.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

ESO has guilds and has vampires and werewolfs and hunters.

Too bad the idea was too half baked imo to be good enough to be an end game system similar to a bounty hunting system at end game.

Vampires, werewolves and etc were basically different buffs/debuffs and nothing more.

Im still baffled by how mmos do not develop end game systems but rather focus on developing more of the same with story, questing mechanics, raids and pvp.

Leaving out mini games, sometimes even housing, mounted combat, swimming, puzzles, platforming... but no, they would rather add 1000s of hours of just repetitive questing.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    While there is probably a certain amount of interest for a vampire based MMO, i am not sure that 'buffy the vampire slayer' is really a popular enough title to base one on, and personally i wouldn't touch a twilight based one under any circumstances. The IP is probably too narrow of focus anyway to make a decent MMO out of, although a single player game might not be a bad idea, but, for 'buffy' that ship sailed years ago.image
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by burdock2
    If you were a fan of the show (and Joss WHEDON)

I think an "or" would be a much better fit for that connection... Never liked the Buffy / Angel era myself (but yep, SMG was awesome :) )

His later works on the other hand, both on series (Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible, heck even Coulson with his Shield image), on the big screen (Serenity, Avengers - ok, that was a bit weak image), and in the comics with Marvel (and earlier Dark Horse) all great.

And as others said above, I'd rather have a Firefly game (not necessarily mmo) instead of Buffy. But I admit, it's a great name for mmo characters, I know a dude who has at least one in each game that has a buffer/debuffer class :)

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    The Secret World is pretty close, I think.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Vampire MMOs have not done well so far, not sure this one would be any different. To top it off, Buffy fans would want a real Buffy MMO and that would be to tame for the current vampire fans. Horror really has gone to new places in the past 10 years that freaks me out.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

There's a single player Buffy game on PS2